PDA

View Full Version : OT: zika virus and travel

thwart
01-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Now that Ebola has been pretty much eradicated (this outbreak, anyway), we've got a new virus to worry about: Zika. Transmitted by daytime biting Aedes mosquitoes in tropical areas, it tends to cause a mild flu-like illness, somewhat like dengue. The big concern is that if a pregnant woman gets this infection, she may deliver a child with microcephaly (smaller than normal head, usually also with incomplete brain development).

Some Countries Tell Women to Postpone Pregnancy

Public health authorities in the United States are reporting an increasing number of pregnant women who have come down with Zika during trips to regions covered by the CDC travel alert. The first case of a woman giving birth to a baby with microcephaly in the United States after becoming infected in the Zika zone occurred recently in Hawaii.

Brazil has counted a surge of almost 4000 cases of microcephaly in new-borns since October 2015. The abnormally small heads of these babies often are accompanied by incomplete brain development, which can lead to a lifetime of health problems, according to the CDC. In severe cases, newborns do not survive for long. Faced with these risks, Colombia and El Salvador have urged women to delay becoming pregnant, in the case of El Salvador, until 2018.

Can you imagine advising all women in the country to avoid pregnancy for two years.

The concern about the infection potentially causing a birth defect has caused some folks in the US to re-think their winter travel plans... especially since Mexico is one of the countries affected by the CDC travel alert.

ultraman6970
01-23-2016, 12:01 AM
"Can you imagine advising all women in the country to avoid pregnancy for two years. "... yes i can Imagine that, the problem is that when the hormones kicks in nobody cares :D Specially when you are young.

Wonder if the gvmt is already suggesting tests for this thing in woman that want to get pregnant. That in my book is not a bad idea.

Now with the olympics sure many athletes will turn the nominations down just because of the zika thing and because of the water situation.

thwart
01-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Now that I've perhaps worried some folks planning travel to Mexico...

Here's some information as of today:

According to Mexican authorities within the past day, the one reported case in Jalisco was in Guadalajara, hence the key concise message about no reports in the major resorts and destinations for leisure travelers.

Puerto Vallarta, Tequila, Guadalajara, and Lake Chapala are in the state of Jalisco.

However I'd keep in mind that authorities are sometimes a bit slow to report contagious diseases in resort areas to avoid harming tourism business.

Hence this from the same source:

Zika is likely racing ahead of our ability to detect and confirm cases quickly as it spreads. This needs to of course be kept in mind, even while keeping factual reports that are widely relied on completely factual and updating real time as new information becomes available.