PDA

View Full Version : RideWithGPS iphone/ipad to Garmin 810?

sparky33
01-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to download a gpx route file from the RideWithGPS app to a Garmin 810 unit?

As far as I can tell, it looks like you can only upload ride data from the Garmin 810 to RideWithGPS via the Garmin Connect app... Can I go the other way for gpx files?

I'm just trying to get my drawn RideWithGPS route files onto my Garmin unit when I only have my ipad or iphone handy. Up to this point I've always had to plug the Garmin unit to my desktop computer via usb to transfer a route file to the Garmin unit - this isn't always convenient.

zmudshark
01-22-2016, 04:55 PM
From my very limited understanding, Apple will not allow a gpx file to be supported in any way on an iOS device, so there would be no way to send it to your Garmin.

adampaiva
01-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Well you could a gpx file to exist on a iPad iPhone with Dropbox I suppose, but I still have no idea how you'd transfer it to the Garmin. I do really wish this functionality existed as I think it could be massively useful.

zmudshark
01-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Well you could a gpx file to exist on a iPad iPhone with Dropbox I suppose, but I still have no idea how you'd transfer it to the Garmin. I do really wish this functionality existed as I think it could be massively useful.

You would no longer need a computer to make your other computers play nicely with each other.

No money in that ;)

R3awak3n
01-22-2016, 06:07 PM
I dont think garmin cares how you get it into the device, they dont make money if you have a computer.

I am sure there would be a way to put a file from an official garmin app to a garmin gps, i think it would just need to be developed. Also maybe a partnership btw ridewithgps and the garmin app.

sparky33
01-22-2016, 07:26 PM

Dropbox is about as far as I got.
I was hoping that there would some way to link to the Garmin via Bluetooth or maybe some other intermediary dongle so I could send the file from Dropbox to the Garmin...

Jgrooms
01-22-2016, 07:27 PM
Save gpx to pc. Plug your 810 into pc, move/ copy gpx to "new" folder. Turn off, unplug, turn on. File should be in "courses" folder and ready.

Just did this w 1000 & if I remember, was same on 810.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zmudshark
01-22-2016, 07:30 PM
:crap::crap::crap::beer:

sparky33
01-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Save gpx to pc. Plug your 810 into pc, move/ copy gpx to "new" folder. Turn off, unplug, turn on. File should be in "courses" folder and ready.

Just did this w 1000 & if I remember, was same on 810.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I know how to transfer a gpx file by plugging into a pc.

the point is that sometimes I don't have access to my pc, like when I'm traveling. I'm trying find a way to connect an iPad or iPhone to the Garmin without using my computer.

zmudshark
01-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Yes I know how to transfer a gpx file by plugging into a pc.

the point is that sometimes I don't have access to my pc, like when I'm traveling. I'm trying find a way to connect an iPad or iPhone to the Garmin without using my computer.

Nope.

Edit: As far as I know there isn't even an App for that, at any cost.

sitzmark
01-22-2016, 08:32 PM
With a paid premium RwGPS subscription you can download courses to an iPhone inside the RwGPS app. You can also Bluetooth a course in Garmin Connect app to a 510. The missing link is code to move and convert the file from RwGPS to Connect. iOS doesn't have a native file management system, which creates issues for most file formats. Photos seem to be accessible using third party software and Bluetooth or "cabled" drives like an iStick.

What does work (have done it) is using an Edge 705 or other Edge with a micro SD slot. Popping the card out of the Garmin and into a Kensington Mobilelite Bluetooth drive I've been able to archive activities to storage for safe keeping on a Multiday ride ((Ride the Rockies) and transfer courses onto the card without a computer. Then reinsert the card and fire up the Garmin. The 510 doesn't have a card slot, so not an option with 510. In conjunction with DropBox I had the ability to move and store Garmin and video files however I wanted.

dalava
01-23-2016, 07:13 AM
With a paid premium RwGPS subscription you can download courses to an iPhone inside the RwGPS app. You can also Bluetooth a course in Garmin Connect app to a 510. The missing link is code to move and convert the file from RwGPS to Connect. iOS doesn't have a native file management system, which creates issues for most file formats. Photos seem to be accessible using third party software and Bluetooth or "cabled" drives like an iStick.

What does work (have done it) is using an Edge 705 or other Edge with a micro SD slot. Popping the card out of the Garmin and into a Kensington Mobilelite Bluetooth drive I've been able to archive activities to storage for safe keeping on a Multiday ride ((Ride the Rockies) and transfer courses onto the card without a computer. Then reinsert the card and fire up the Garmin. The 510 doesn't have a card slot, so not an option with 510. In conjunction with DropBox I had the ability to move and store Garmin and video files however I wanted.

Not to start an argument, but iOS does have a file system, it's just not directly accessible by apps which is in its own sandbox. That's probably what you mean.

As for OP's question, this is something Garmin can do only; their use of BT and BT-LE so far has been underwhelming, and looks like they couldn't care less as long as we make them our default choice. The next opportunity I have to ditch my Egde devices, they are gone. I've never seen a less capable software company, yet with so much contempt to their customers.

kramnnim
01-23-2016, 08:32 AM

Brilliant. Would something like this work, as well? http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-iFlash-Reader-Android-iPhone/dp/B0151BOTHM

adampaiva
01-23-2016, 08:48 AM
oh thats clever. Did you do the micro sd transfer from an ipad or iphone? Wonder if its possible with iphone. And I guess you need a premium rwgps if wanting to be able to create routes on the road, are you then able to move those newly created rwgps routes to the micro-sd card?

sitzmark
01-23-2016, 01:14 PM
Brilliant. Would something like this work, as well? http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-iFlash-Reader-Android-iPhone/dp/B0151BOTHM

Yes as long as there is a file browser app that will recognize it. iOS does not have a native file browser - what I intended to say in post above. This type of device (direct lightening connect) is relatively new and is much faster than the Kensington MobileLite device. The MobileLite linked wirelessly, which made for slower file transfers.

sparky33
01-23-2016, 03:21 PM
Not to start an argument, but iOS does have a file system, it's just not directly accessible by apps which is in its own sandbox. That's probably what you mean.

As for OP's question, this is something Garmin can do only; their use of BT and BT-LE so far has been underwhelming, and looks like they couldn't care less as long as we make them our default choice. The next opportunity I have to ditch my Egde devices, they are gone. I've never seen a less capable software company, yet with so much contempt to their customers.

Are there any decent alternatives to Garmin Edge? Magellan 505 seems to have similar downloading limitations. iPhone navigation devours drains battery rapidly making it unviable for a daytrip.

sparky33
01-23-2016, 03:24 PM

For $24 it is worth a try for sure!
Removing and loading the micro sd card should work as long as the related app allows me to place the gpx in the appropriate directory on the sd.

PaMtbRider
01-23-2016, 03:45 PM
If you try this post your results. I have also wanted to be able to transfer files from Iphone / Ipad to Garmin.

dalava
01-23-2016, 03:57 PM
Are there any decent alternatives to Garmin Edge? Magellan 505 seems to have similar downloading limitations. iPhone navigation devours drains battery rapidly making it unviable for a daytrip.

Nothing yet... I had hope of Apple Watch would do something but alas, it's a complete fail insofar as replacing Garmin goes. Maybe next gen.

I really don't understand why Garmin doesn't make more use of BT, BT-LE and Wifi that's built into the unit.

dalava
01-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Yes as long as there is a file browser app that will recognize it. iOS does not have a native file browser - what I intended to say in post above. This type of device (direct lightening connect) is relatively new and is much faster than the Kensington MobileLite device. The MobileLite linked wirelessly, which made for slower file transfers.

Apple and Garmin are like a perfect storm: one is a totally closed system and one is complete incompetent. Both took their customers for granted.

kramnnim
01-23-2016, 10:01 PM
If you can't create the route with the app, but you have a computer on at home...use Teamviewer or equivalent to create the route and send it to yourself.

dalava
01-24-2016, 08:18 AM
If you can't create the route with the app, but you have a computer on at home...use Teamviewer or equivalent to create the route and send it to yourself.

That would require a lot of finger-fu, pointing at a tiny screen on an iPhone with remote connection to your desktop to create a route, I am not sure how practical that is.

kramnnim
01-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Yes...but if the phone app doesn't do it... (I'm still not sure if it does)

sitzmark
01-25-2016, 07:04 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to download a gpx route file from the RideWithGPS app to a Garmin 810 unit?

I'm just trying to get my drawn RideWithGPS route files onto my Garmin unit when I only have my ipad or iphone handy. Up to this point I've always had to plug the Garmin unit to my desktop computer via usb to transfer a route file to the Garmin unit - this isn't always convenient.

Not sure why I read your post earlier as "510" - yes, with 810 you might have SD card options for transferring ride files using external devices. (810 adds courses differently than 705 so not 100% sure)

If your primary objective is to only use pre-configured routes, export them out of RwGPS using your computer and load them onto your 810 using the NewFiles protocol. Once they are on your 810, they will sync with Garmin Connect. You can then delete them off your 810 and they will remain in Connect, which means they will also be available in the Connect App on your phone/ipad. You can transfer those courses whenever you want from the iPhone or iPad Connect App to your 810 via bluetooth.

Similarly, if you want to create a course on iPhone/iPad (frustrating to say the least) use iOS Safari and navigate to your Garmin Connect account. Create the course and save it. Then it will be available in the App and can be transferred by bluetooth.

sitzmark
01-25-2016, 07:20 AM
Apple and Garmin are like a perfect storm: one is a totally closed system and one is complete incompetent. Both took their customers for granted.

Yes ... in a way. Both still have a very large customer base for which both company's products meet the majority of needs better than competitors.

I was MS from the the very beginning ... well CPM originally ... and reluctantly switched to Apple. Fought through the early days of trying to tether my flip phones to various PDA's running windows mobile to have the equivalent of a "smart phone". Finally devices appeared that conjoined those functions. ... and then the functionality remained primarily in the Office paradigm which did provide a mobile platform for Excel, Word, Access, Powerpoint, etc, but little else. The iOS App world left MS in the dust ... and so did I.