PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale Caad8? - for a 290lb rugby guy???

learlove
06-03-2006, 04:35 AM
A bro on my rugby team has been riding his mtb bike (2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara) quite a bit and know wants to do some road riding.

He is just shy of 5'11" and around 290lbs (massive legs and shoulders, used to be one of thoes disk/shotput throwers in college).

I suggested a connondale with aftermarket 36 spoke open pro wheels. He's been riding an old (found at garage sale) early 90's Trek 1400 aluminum with shimano 105 and matrix aero wheels but that thing is about shot (from a previous owner)and its time for something new.

Any suggestions that I can pass along to him before he heads out to the local shops? He'd like to spend somwhere in the 1500 to 2000 range. Therefore I suggested he look in the al frame/shimano 105 range for 1500 stock bike then spend about 200-300 on a set of sturdy open pro or the like aftermarket wheels.

From info on his inseam and other sizing he will run about 54, 55, or 56 frame.

My kona Jake the Snake feels pretty tough maybe that would work.

scottie
06-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Doesn't shaq have a cannondale? and he's not a light guy.
I broke the fork on mine when I had it but they replaced it straight away, and it was a rocket for racing. I can't see him breaking it!
Good luck,
Scottie.

alancw3
06-03-2006, 09:47 AM
for someone approaching 300 lbs. i personally would recommend a steel or titanium frame and steel ot titanium fork. i have a c'dale six13 and weigh about 200 lbs. and feel that i am near the limit of the bike. caad 8 same except for the cf frame tubes. my concern would be more towards the fork. you could check with c'dale to see if they have a limit. i know that the profile designs alpha sub 3 fork has a published weight limit of 200. good luck with your search!

William
06-03-2006, 10:45 AM
A bro on my rugby team has been riding his mtb bike (2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara) quite a bit and know wants to do some road riding.

He is just shy of 5'11" and around 290lbs (massive legs and shoulders, used to be one of thoes disk/shotput throwers in college).

I suggested a connondale with aftermarket 36 spoke open pro wheels. He's been riding an old (found at garage sale) early 90's Trek 1400 aluminum with shimano 105 and matrix aero wheels but that thing is about shot (from a previous owner)and its time for something new.

Any suggestions that I can pass along to him before he heads out to the local shops? He'd like to spend somwhere in the 1500 to 2000 range. Therefore I suggested he look in the al frame/shimano 105 range for 1500 stock bike then spend about 200-300 on a set of sturdy open pro or the like aftermarket wheels.

Beungood has an almost new, hardly ridden, steel Specialized Allez with Ultegra 9 in a 54 that you might be able to talk him out of (the Spectrum being his bike of choice now). That could certainly handle your guy.

Sweet bike that he got a good deal on. Just saying....

William

CJH
06-03-2006, 11:35 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/55cm-Eddy-Merckx-MX-Leader_W0QQitemZ7246607051QQcategoryZ98084QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Marcusaurelius
06-03-2006, 04:37 PM

I think the Trek 5000 is around that price range and it's a very strong frame with lifetime warranty. Of course he could always change the wheels and put on some 36 hole open pro wheelset.

vaxn8r
06-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Co-Motion has a "big boy" bike. I think they name it Mazama. It has oversized tubeset and beefy everything including wheels. I think with their tandem experience it made since to build a reliable single for those who weigh what a tandem team weighs.

A friend of mine has broken 3 AL frames in the last 2 years. He probably weighs 260-275.

Bradford
06-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I'd skip the OPs and go with some CXP33s.

I had Peter White build me a set a few years ago and they are great wheels. I can see how they might be a bit to stiff for smaller riders, but at that weight, I think they are a better choice.

abscar
06-04-2006, 08:12 AM
I just bought this while I save for my Serotta.
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21255&subcategory_ID=3020
It is heavy but I am blown away by the paint and finish. I have no doubt that this frame would hold me at my heaviest which was 260lb. This is the third on line house brand frame I bought and the first two although their performance was not as good as my custom mountain bike frames was still very good. So good in fact the weak motor that is myself really can't justify the purchase of my more expensive bikes.