PDA

View Full Version : Tub tire recommendations

dalava
01-21-2016, 12:26 PM
Look for something less pricy to replace my worn out Veloflex Arenberg. I am use them only for recreational rides, not racing. What are the good ones that have a good balance of puncture protection, durable, and low rolling resistance?

merckx
01-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Conti Competition 25's.

dalava
01-21-2016, 12:42 PM
Conti Competition 25's.

How is the durability and puncture protection of these?

Dead Man
01-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Vittorias from Ribble are pretty damn hard to beat... Corsas for $48/ea, Corsa Elites with butyl tubes $38/ea... Just perfectly good all around tires, I rode the Elites all through last winter, and would do it again.. but I snagged a bunch of Paves and am riding those now.

Dead Man
01-21-2016, 12:44 PM
BTW - I got about 2000 miles out of the last Elite rear I took off. Couldn't freaken believe it, when I looked at my log and saw how long it had gone.

uber
01-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Stay with the Veloflex or FMB. I am sure you are worth it.

lhuerta
01-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Vitt Pave for less then $50 per.

I just removed my rear tire on which I clocked 3200+ miles this past season with only one punture, which I fixed with bit of sealant (i do not pretreat my tubs). If it wasn't for threads showing where I skidded/locked up the wheel I think I could have gone 500 more.

dalava
01-21-2016, 02:18 PM
BTW - I got about 2000 miles out of the last Elite rear I took off. Couldn't freaken believe it, when I looked at my log and saw how long it had gone.

How do the Corsa Elites compare with the Corsa CX?

oldpotatoe
01-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Look for something less pricy to replace my worn out Veloflex Arenberg. I am use them only for recreational rides, not racing. What are the good ones that have a good balance of puncture protection, durable, and low rolling resistance?

Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25s, hard to beat. My favorite. 290 tpi vs 320 and butyl tube vs latex. And although FMB and Veloflex are nice tires, they aren't twice or 3 times better thanCorsa or Corsa Elite.

saab2000
01-21-2016, 02:28 PM

This. The price difference between the best tubulars (Veloflex) and Continentals isn't that much.

If I can't ride Veloflex I'll just ride clinchers.

sjauch2
01-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Going to say Pave in 27 or Corsa SC in 25. Both nice and cheap from the right places and quite nice. For the price they ride nicer than all the rest.

And don't over inflate. 27's like 80psi, maybe 90 in the 25 Corsa.

saab2000
01-21-2016, 02:38 PM
And don't over inflate. 27's like 80psi, maybe 90 in the 25 Corsa.

I agree with this. I even run my 22mm Veloflex at no more than 100 PSI and they're great.

Even the dreaded Continentals aren't horrible if they're run around 75-80 PSI. :D

teleguy57
01-21-2016, 02:49 PM
How do the Corsa Elites compare with the Corsa CX?

I have Elites in 25, Corsa SC in 25 (I believe the same as CX but with tan sidewalls) and Paves in 25 and 27 (both measure a bit narrower than spec).

I can tell a bit of a difference between the ride of the SCs and Elites, but for the price the Elites are a very nice tire. I wish the 27 Paves were a true 27, but they ride very nicely as well.

I always check my tire pressure before a ride, so the drop off in latex vs butyl is a not issue for me. I do believe with all else being equal latex tubed tubulars ride better and are more flat resistant than those with butyl tubes.

If you haven't done a search, check out Eric's very well-done review (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=171824&highlight=vittoria+ride) and solid discussion -- a great example of the quality of conversation here!

Edit -- and +1 on all the comments about pressure. I generally run my 25s of all varieties 90ish front, 95ish rear and it's very nice even with the excess ballast I carry.

dan682
01-21-2016, 03:13 PM
I was riding last night on my Corsa Elite 25s at 85/75 psi, even on chip seal was like riding on a fluffy cloud, compared to my GP4000 clinchers.

maj
01-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Might sound like sort of a mis-match but I run Corsa CX mounted on Ambrosio Nemesis rims on an older steel classic from time to time. I can really only tell the difference from nice clinchers on a smooth and clean road surface.

merckx
01-21-2016, 03:40 PM
How is the durability and puncture protection of these?

I haven't found anything more durable. They won't be the limiter in your performance.

FMB is very hit and miss. If you enjoy mashed potatoes, and don't mind a lump or three, then they may tick a few boxes. As mentioned Veloflex is very good, just not as durable as Conti which was one of your boxes.

dalava
01-21-2016, 05:26 PM
I have Elites in 25, Corsa SC in 25 (I believe the same as CX but with tan sidewalls) and Paves in 25 and 27 (both measure a bit narrower than spec).

I can tell a bit of a difference between the ride of the SCs and Elites, but for the price the Elites are a very nice tire. I wish the 27 Paves were a true 27, but they ride very nicely as well.

I always check my tire pressure before a ride, so the drop off in latex vs butyl is a not issue for me. I do believe with all else being equal latex tubed tubulars ride better and are more flat resistant than those with butyl tubes.

If you haven't done a search, check out Eric's very well-done review (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=171824&highlight=vittoria+ride) and solid discussion -- a great example of the quality of conversation here!

Edit -- and +1 on all the comments about pressure. I generally run my 25s of all varieties 90ish front, 95ish rear and it's very nice even with the excess ballast I carry.

Thanks for the info. It seems like the tire width matter less in tubular, and given my rim width of 19.5cm, would I be better off with 21/22cm rather than 25/25?

thwart
01-21-2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the info. It seems like the tire width matter less in tubular, and given my rim width of 19.5mm, would I be better off with 21/22mm rather than 25/25?
Actually rim width matters less with tubulars than with clinchers.

Yes, it's nice to have a 22 mm wide Ambrosia Nemesis rim, but you can easily run 25 mm tubulars on your rims. And you'll like the ride much more than a 21 mm tire.

Just remember to run reasonable pressures to get the full benefit.

dalava
01-21-2016, 09:57 PM
Actually rim width matters less with tubulars than with clinchers.

Yes, it's nice to have a 22 mm wide Ambrosia Nemesis rim, but you can easily run 25 mm tubulars on your rims. And you'll like the ride much more than a 21 mm tire.

Just remember to run reasonable pressures to get the full benefit.

So far, I have these recommended to me:
- Vittoria Corsa EVO CX - great ride but not very durable or puncture resistant
- Vittoria Corsa Elite
- Conti GP Competition
- Conti Sprinter
- Tufo S33 Pro - seems like a good cheap training tires
- Tufo Elite Ride
- Clement Strada LGG - mucho $$$, wonder how it compares to Veloflex

If you were me (my tubular rim width is 20mm), for everyday riding, which one would you get?

thwart
01-21-2016, 10:36 PM
- Vittoria Corsa Elite
- Conti GP Competition
- Conti Sprinter
- Tufo Elite Ride

If you were me (my tubular rim width is 20mm), for everyday riding, which one would you get?

This one; I have 2 wheeisets with it mounted.

The value leader... a very good tubular tire.

Louis
01-21-2016, 10:43 PM
- Vittoria Corsa Elite
- Conti GP Competition
- Conti Sprinter
- Tufo Elite Ride

Often when one gets tons of different recommendations like this and there is no significant consensus, that's a sign that it really doesn't matter what you do, they're probably all about the same. Had one been noticeably better than the others it would presumably have filtered to the top.

One situation when this doesn't apply is when the various people making the recommendations all use different criteria to assess the items in question. (e.g. rolling resistance vs weight vs wet traction vs colored sidewalls etc etc etc.)

Edit: I believe the same reasoning holds true for gluing tubulars. Try asking about that and see how many methods you get. Why? Maybe because they're all about equally good (or bad). Or at least the differences between them aren't sufficiently obvious to users for the less good methods to be abandoned in favor of the superior ones.

Dead Man
01-21-2016, 10:47 PM
that's a sign that it really doesn't matter what you do, they're probably all about the same.

Yea.. I really think, at least among the big names, the "advantage" one tire has over another is in the 1-digit percentile range, and is going to be situational anyway. That's why you get guys that think they have bad experiences with one and swear by another, and vice versa for another. But if you put all of 'em on hundreds of bikes riding in dozens of conditions, they'd probably all average out to about the same performance.

But my internet opinion is worth only exactly what you paid for it.

Dead Man
01-21-2016, 10:52 PM
So buy cheap.

And everything on Ribble is cheap.... so take your pick!

F'ing love ribble for tubs.

Vamoots58
01-22-2016, 06:13 AM

Life is too short to ride crappy tubulars - do Dunkin Donuts rather than Starbucks for a couple of weeks and you've covered the price diff to FMB (or Veloflex).

oldpotatoe
01-22-2016, 06:27 AM
- Vittoria Corsa Elite
- Conti GP Competition
- Conti Sprinter
- Tufo Elite Ride

Easy.

And for right above, Vittoria Corsa Elite are hardly 'crappy tubulars'..FMB are great tires but you can get almost 3 Corsa Elites for 1 FMB, 2 Corsas. More than a few days at Dunkin rather than Starbucks. IMHO, of course.

AngryScientist
01-22-2016, 06:37 AM
just got in a set of the newest version of the shcwalbe one tubies.

while i havent ridden them yet, i have high hopes for these to be nice tires. glued up nice and straight, and look to be pretty durable. we'll see how they ride, but they feel like nice tires.

oldpotatoe
01-22-2016, 06:40 AM
just got in a set of the newest version of the shcwalbe one tubies.

while i havent ridden them yet, i have high hopes for these to be nice tires. glued up nice and straight, and look to be pretty durable. we'll see how they ride, but they feel like nice tires.

Do they have a 'made in_____' on them? Curious.

AngryScientist
01-22-2016, 06:50 AM
Do they have a 'made in_____' on them? Curious.

i'll have to check the tire itself tonight, but this is what Schwalbe has to say about it:

The Schwalbe One factory
Schwalbe has set up a dedicated high-end factory within its production plant in Indonesia, specifically for the manufacture of these tires. Which is a completely new unit where only Schwalbe One tires are being produced, with fixed vulcanization and production units that are used exclusively for this tire and where the most skilled workers in the entire Schwalbe plant can be found helping to ensure a consistently high quality and reliability.

Handmade Tubular
Hand making a tubular tire is an art in itself. So, because production differs distinctly from the manufacture of regular bicycle tires, they are exclusively manufactured in a new Schwalbe factory. For each, individual "hand made tubular" a lot of careful craftsmanship is required, so only the most skilled people are employed to construct each tire and by hand, stitch and glue together each part.

tmf
01-22-2016, 06:51 AM
I've been riding tubulars for over 30 years now. I ride on Vittoria Corsa Elite 25's now and love them. It's the tire for me. I also highly recommend going with the 25 width. Going from 23 to 25 a couple of years ago was one of the best decisions I've made.

sokyroadie
01-22-2016, 07:03 AM
I've been riding tubulars for over 30 years now. I ride on Vittoria Corsa Elite 25's now and love them. It's the tire for me. I also highly recommend going with the 25 width. Going from 23 to 25 a couple of years ago was one of the best decisions I've made.

I rode 19mm & 21mm tubies BITD and agree 1000% with the above Corsa Elites in 25's are extremely hard to beat and Ribble (sorry Old Spud ;) has a VERY reasonable price on them.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
01-22-2016, 07:06 AM
I rode 19mm & 21mm tubies BITD and agree 1000% with the above Corsa Elites in 25's are extremely hard to beat and Ribble (sorry Old Spud ;) has a VERY reasonable price on them.

Jeff

Oh I know..just don't understand how they do that, well, I do but that's for a different discussion. I always applaud end users who find these great deals..The problem is the manufacturers and distributors..

teleguy57
01-22-2016, 09:21 AM
This one; I have 2 wheeisets with it mounted.

The value leader... a very good tubular tire.

Easy.

And for right above, Vittoria Corsa Elite are hardly 'crappy tubulars'..FMB are great tires but you can get almost 3 Corsa Elites for 1 FMB, 2 Corsas. More than a few days at Dunkin rather than Starbucks. IMHO, of course.

Jeff

Any questions? :) Corsa Elite in 25mm for the win (unless aesthetically you want tan sidewalls [then Corsa SC] or have a hankerin' for green [Paves, but they appear to be going away with the new Corsa line....]