PDA

View Full Version : Horses and Bikes

PFSLABD
01-21-2016, 08:35 AM
I ride in a rural area and have occasionally upon rounding a curve come up on horse riders riding 3 and 4 abreast, blocking the little traveled back roads. As I was getting ready to announce my presence, the riders became incensed because I had come up without saying anything early enough and scared their horses. I replied that if they were going to ride horses in the middle of the road, then they needed to constantly monitor what was behind them and properly train their horses not to spook at every branch, swaying in the wind, or bicycle riding down the road. What if I had been a car rounding a blind curve and came up behind them?

That's why I don't like multi-usage bike paths that allow bicycles, runners, hikers, and horses. It's a recipe for disaster,

Anyone else had experience with horses while riding?

josephr
01-21-2016, 08:43 AM
I ride in a rural area and have occasionally upon rounding a curve come up on horse riders riding 3 and 4 abreast, blocking the little traveled back roads. As I was getting ready to announce my presence, the riders became incensed because I had come up without saying anything early enough and scared their horses. I replied that if they were going to ride horses in the middle of the road, then they needed to constantly monitor what was behind them and properly train their horses not to spook at every branch, swaying in the wind, or bicycle riding down the road. What if I had been a car rounding a blind curve and came up behind them?

That's why I don't like multi-usage bike paths that allow bicycles, runners, hikers, and horses. It's a recipe for disaster,

at Oak Mtn State Park, lot of horse trails intersect with the mountain bike trails...as a general rule, folks on bikes yield to horses, both yield to hikers. Fortunately the horses are somewhat accustomed to bikers so they don't spook so easy. You're right, riding 4 abreast in a blind curve is stupid...anytime I've seen folks on horseback riding on or alongside the road they've always been single file anyway.

Black Dog
01-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Lots of horses around here and never a problem. We give them lots of room and talk so they know we are behind them. Once they hear a voice they are calm. Folks on horses are always at the edge of the road and aware of what is going on around them, riders could take some notes.

sandyrs
01-21-2016, 08:51 AM
No personal experience with horses, but plenty with dogs... coming quick around a corner is likely to scare any animal, including a human. All you can do is try to make your presence know ASAP, but if it's a blind corner, it's a blind corner, and there's nothing you can do about it.

zap
01-21-2016, 08:52 AM
Just last weekend, came up on 3 abreast and just as I was about to warn them that I was behind them, one of the horses got spooked. I apologized and the equestrians were cool.

I first learned of how protective equestrians are when we worked on opening county parks to mountain biking. The equestrians we dealt with.......we were very diplomatic.

Tickdoc
01-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Yelling "YEE HAWWWW!" always works for me ;~) No, I usually just make some "howdy" remark if they have a rider, and I just click at them if they are in a field near the road so they are not alarmed.

I love it when they give chase.

JasonF
01-21-2016, 08:56 AM
My wife & daughter own horses and so we're a horse & bike family. Admittedly, 4 abreast on a blind curve is a stupid as a group ride where cyclists block an entire lane of traffic.

However, horses can be unpredictable and there's not many things scarier than a 1,200 pound animal that has spooked and out of control. That's why the riders became incensed. Still, based on the facts provided, they failed to exercise good judgment because they got lost in the enjoyment of a group ride - not unlike group cycling rides.

guido
01-21-2016, 08:58 AM
Here in suburban MA I occasionally encounter horses on quiet back roads or multi use trails. Slowing before I pass, but not freewheeling (there is a theory horses don't like the sound), a friendly hail has made for pleasant trouble free interactions...

It's tough to deal with folks who start the interaction with an attitude, but being friendly and respectful is always a good starting point...

malcolm
01-21-2016, 09:15 AM
at Oak Mtn State Park, lot of horse trails intersect with the mountain bike trails...as a general rule, folks on bikes yield to horses, both yield to hikers. Fortunately the horses are somewhat accustomed to bikers so they don't spook so easy. You're right, riding 4 abreast in a blind curve is stupid...anytime I've seen folks on horseback riding on or alongside the road they've always been single file anyway.

I ride oak mtn a lot as well, mostly during the week and seldom encounter horses, thankfully.
Most trail systems I've been on in multiple states are as described above with respect to right of way.
The oak mtn trails are pretty segregated, horse trails seem to be horse trails and hiking trails hiking trails with the exception of mtn bikes trails which are open to hikers as well as bikes. Bike single track in most places is easier to navigate than pure hiking trails so you wind up with lots of trail runners and dog walkers on the mtn bike trails and by their very nature good single track in the woods has many virtually blind corners. I always try and be on the look out but often run up on hikers, dog walkers and trail runners who usually blindly freeze in the middle of the trail.
If you choose to use a trail for other than it's primary intent I feel you should be aware and make allowances for the ones using it as primarily designated. I'm always respectful and never try and put myself or anyone else in danger, but I don't feel to bad about running up on hikers or runners when I have one designated system to ride and they have numerous hiking only trails in the same system. If I see them in advance and they clearly don't see me I slow or if on tight single track I stop, but rounding a curve and spooking them, sorry but they should have been paying attention.
I personally would not ride on trails shared by horses if it included blind single track. I've done it in the west in areas that were open and you had good sight lines and would always come to a complete stop and move off the trail way in advance to let horses pass. It's common sense.
A friend relayed a story about a young woman that was killed when thrown from a horse spooked by mtn bikes several years ago in Colorado or Utah.
Follow the rules and use some common sense and we should all be able to get along on the trails, at least there are no texting drivers although it did encounter a gut texting on a mtn bike on single track in park city.

verticaldoug
01-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Think of it like this:

1. When you are cycling and have close encounter with a car, your adrenaline gets going and to the car driver we can appear incensed, when in reality, we are scared.

2. As an equestrian, that moment when you feel the horse tense and spook is like having a close encounter with a car. A little scary, adrenaline gets going.

When horses hit 'flight' mode when spooked, they are incredibly stupid. Riding 4 abreast is poor judgement on the equestrian part, but you should still slow down and give them the heads up as soon as possible. They will appreciate it unless they are totally lost in their own world and get spook at that.

At least in New York, horses have right away, even versus hikers on a trail. Virginia has a strong horse community, so horses probably have right away vs both bicycle and foot traffic.
D

malcolm
01-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Think of it like this:

1. When you are cycling and have close encounter with a car, your adrenaline gets going and to the car driver we can appear incensed, when in reality, we are scared.

2. As an equestrian, that moment when you feel the horse tense and spook is like having a close encounter with a car. A little scary, adrenaline gets going.

When horses hit 'flight' mode when spooked, they are incredibly stupid. Riding 4 abreast is poor judgement on the equestrian part, but you should still slow down and give them the heads up as soon as possible. They will appreciate it unless they are totally lost in their own world and get spook at that.

At least in New York, horses have right away, even versus hikers on a trail. Virginia has a strong horse community, so horses probably have right away vs both bicycle and foot traffic.
D

It's that way everywhere I've been, horses, hikers, bikes. I think it makes sense

p nut
01-21-2016, 09:43 AM
It's a very fragile relationship, so I try to be on my best behavior. Most of them are cool (ie 99%), but have run into a few jerks.

By the way, hikers and bikers yield to horses in my state. And, of course, bikers yield to hikers. We're at the bottom of the totem pole.

oddsaabs
01-21-2016, 11:40 AM
This works pretty good.

BobO
01-21-2016, 11:59 AM
I run across horses on the soft shoulder all the time. I give them a quick, "at your back," before I get there, slow and give them time to prepare the horse and swing wide into the travel lane. I've seen cars fly by a horse who then gets spooked by a cyclist ten seconds after the car. Don't know why, but its not worth taking and chances.

btanner
01-21-2016, 12:16 PM
oldsaabs, where'd you get that slick bell?

btanner
01-21-2016, 12:17 PM
oddsaabs!

redir
01-21-2016, 12:28 PM
I usually only see them on the MTB trails though where I live now there is a guy and his wife that ride through the neighborhood. I just ring the bell though my bell is not as aero and sexy as oddsaabs :D

merlinmurph
01-21-2016, 12:28 PM

Here you go:
http://www.spurcycle.com/products/better-bicycle-bell

christian
01-21-2016, 12:47 PM
When horses hit 'flight' mode when spooked, they are incredibly stupid.Also at all other times.

Louis
01-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Here you go:

It does look cool, but at $49 (plus shipping, presumably) I think I'd settle for this instead:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4139/4935650268_21a85110f5.jpg

rugbysecondrow
01-21-2016, 01:22 PM

Never really had an issue with horses or riders. I always announced early, then got off the road until we sorted out who was passing where.

Tickdoc
01-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Here you go:

whoah and they come in black too! very slick

joe.e
01-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Finally I can be an expert!

I grew up with horses, work in the horse industry, and encounter horses by bike just about daily (in L.A. no less).

As a general rule I'll try and hail the rider from about a block away so they know where I'm coming from/which way I'm going to pass. I'll try and ride as far from the horse as traffic will allow, and soft pedal to prevent free hub noise.

But even with those steps, horses are still big, scared animals, and often times these herd/prey traits are exacerbated by a million additional causes (poor training, a skittish animal, a rider/riders riding too far into traffic leaving minimal space to pass, a plastic bag down the road, the noise of the wind on your jacket, the sound of your bag shifting on your back, etc etc etc etc). Sometimes you can do everything right, and be as polite and cautious as humanly possible, and the horse is still gonna spook.

PFSLABD
01-21-2016, 01:50 PM
My wife and I own horses, but she is the equestrian. She won't ride any of hers on the road if there is just a little bit chance that one will spook. She just prefers to ride them on our property or on a sanctioned trail ride.

If I come up on a rider face to face, I will immediately dismount, but the other day, I came up on a rider dressed as a cowboy and riding a buckskin quarter horse. When I dismounted, the rider told me that it was unnecessary. His horse was bombproof, and he was. unfortunately, that's not always the case.

OldCrank
01-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Most of the horse folks on the trails are cool, I try to strike up a very quick conversation if it makes sense - or at least "Have a good ride".
I try to approach with a little noise; coughing, Mongolian throat singing, Sid Caeser impressions, whatever.

And some are jerks, they act like they own the (state) park, and we cyclists are parasites. Because their horses cost more to keep. Meh.

Keeps me aware and ready to turn away from the steamy new road apples.

rugbysecondrow
01-21-2016, 02:43 PM
What bothers me more is the horse···· which gets kicked up on my and my water bottle.

p nut
01-21-2016, 04:12 PM
What bothers me more is the horseï½·ï½·ï½·ï½· which gets kicked up on my and my water bottle.

Perfectly safe to consume.

http://youtu.be/OsUvLzczItI

oddsaabs
01-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Opps. Sorry, should have posted a link.

Yes, as mentioned above, it's a Spurcycle bell. I love mine. Sound is sharp and crisp. Really gets people's attention. Maybe not as classy as a dinosaur squeeze horn, but takes up slightly slightly less space on the bars.

Also, not my bike in the pic. Stole the picture from the interwebs/tubes.

Ronsonic
01-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Sharing trails with horses convinced me to go camelbak.

Horses have the right-of-way. Even if you wanted to contest it .....

They do not like freewheel noise Bzzzzzzzzzzz.

I make it a habit to call out when flying into blind spots on the trail. It's easy, prevents collisions, not a bad thing. Sometimes my "Heyo" is answered with a "Heyayayoo."

spiderman
01-31-2016, 07:48 AM
I ride with Trubaby all the time
And keep him close so he is under control
At all times because dogs and bikes can startle horses

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=167803&highlight=Yield+horses

PFSLABD
01-31-2016, 08:04 AM
Petersburg, Va. has a big civil war battlefield, and there are bike, walking, and horse trails all around this battlefield. A lady friend of my wife's decided one Saturday morning to drive up there, bright and early, and at the crack of dawn ride her horse on the horse trails so she could get back home earlier. Unbeknownst to her was that a big Mt. Bike race had been scheduled for the entire park, including the horse trails. The only problem is that race officials had not yet marked the trails and the outside park for BIKES ONLY. Seems the officials assumed that they could merely arrive an hour earlier to put up signs. As a result, Sally (not her real name) was busy riding her horse, only to be narrowly hit by bikers coming over the rise. You know racers are not going to stop or slow down for a horse that's not supposed to be there. Sally and her horse made it. She complained to the park officials, who apologized profusely, but her early morning weekend ride was ruined. Fortunately, nobody was hurt in the process, but the blame lay squarely on the bicycle race officials. Signs like that should have been placed there the night before with the date and time of the race start, warning horse riders to stay out, not to mention that there should have been public notice made in the newspapers and on TV and radio.

Walter
01-31-2016, 09:03 AM
I have ridden bikes for a lonnnng time and my wife is an avid equestrian.. She has introduced me to riding on a horse and it has been educational for me as a cyclist.

Horses are prey animals. Their defenses are heightened awareness and flight. A new plastic bag in a tree that the horse has ridden by countless times is something they perceive as a potential threat to them. A bicycle coming by, even with some notice, can make them react.

We were on our horses in the neighborhood approaching a t intersection and a mountain biker came by from left to right on the road 90 degrees to us at the intersection point. We all were doing it correctly, but the horses did not see the bike (and the bike rider did not see us) until the bike passed right by their noses. My wife's horse spooked, took three giant strides and was in full flight. Mine started rearing out of fear (I did not yell "yippee ky yeah!"). We both dealt with it correctly and their was no further drama.

Riders of bikes and horses just need to be aware and watchful for one another.

Best course of action (and one we see daily out here where many ride horses and bikes together in the same areas) is to give the horse rider plenty of notice, give them space, go by slowly, and maybe even stop and let them pass if you are going in opposite directions. Horse vision is weird and it sees things as larger when the object approaches from the rear (and is thus more of a threat).

When on the horse and you see a bike or get notice of one coming up from behind, you take a steadier hand on the horse and maybe even disengage the rear for more control if a problem develops.

All of that said, there are a__ holes on horses and on bikes that are clueless about the risks, discourteous, and who have a heightened sense of entitlement. Calm talk and some education is the only possible solution to that.

cetuximab
01-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Bikes freak out a lot of horses. (The lack of legs, strangeness, or the freewheel sound I do not know.)

When I encounter them on mountain bike trails, I dismount and walk.

Some people advocate dismounting, stepping off the trail, holding your bike and letting the horses pass.

I have been on a horse when it spooked and I had to change my shorts afterwards. Horses are big and powerful. The horse rider can get hurt really fast.

My buddy had two pack horses and one saddle horse spook and run. The mountain bikers did nothing sudden or loud. They just rode past them on the trail. They were in the middle of a multiday pack trip. It took them most of the day to chase them down, catch them and reload the packs.

ryker
01-31-2016, 10:32 AM
I have been on a horse when it spooked and I had to change my shorts afterwards. Horses are big and powerful. The horse rider can get hurt really fast.

Same.

jpw
01-31-2016, 10:42 AM
a couple of years ago i came up behind a line of horses on a public road and decided to hang 100 yards off the back as the road was rising and curving and it was impossible to know if anything was coming from the other direction. so eventually i coasted closer and then the leader of the 'pack' caught sight of me about thirty yards back and abused me with just about every expletive you can think of. why she did this i do not know. a very unpleasant person indeed. after going over the rise i overtook and let her know exactly what i thought of her.

unpredictable animals some women.

PFSLABD
01-31-2016, 11:38 AM
I was yelled at by a lady riding her horse in her own horse pasture. I was laboring up a steep hill, minding my own business. Her horse had not spooked, but she expected me to dismount while she was riding in a circle by the road. I didn't intend to do that, since I was on a public road, and she was on her own property. I ignored her and kept on going. The horse never spooked one time.

marciero
01-31-2016, 11:50 AM
I've been fortunate not to encounter irate equestrians. I start talking to the horse from 100 yards away or farther and continue until after I have passed. I've not had a problem with spooking, though it's been only a handful of times. They seem to be easily flattered.

carpediemracing
01-31-2016, 01:03 PM
Think of it like this:

D

+1

Just like we expect cars to drive around us, equestrians expect cyclists to ride around them.

A spooked horse (apparently a bike's gearing sounds sort of like a rattlesnake or something; it's super, super scary for a horse) is very dangerous, to the rider and those around the horse. It's not like a car where you just brake or turn or whatever. A horse has personality, it has its quirks, etc, ditto the rider (who may not have very good control over the horse, etc). A horse can go bananas and then it's really bad.

As soon as you see a horse you can yell "Up!" as you slam on your brakes. I've dismounted and stood still if the horse is moving around sideways, which is usually not a good thing. My mtb ride is not important compared to everyone's safety at that moment.

I'm not a horse person but I had a horse person explain to me the situation, this when I was mtb regularly and came across equestrians.

unterhausen
01-31-2016, 01:23 PM
I have to say I have very little sympathy to horse people, especially the ones with the big trailers for a polo team who are in too much of a hurry to consider my safety. Fortunately, we don't have too many horses on the roads, and none on the trails, and I've always been able to give plenty of warning and pass wide. The Amish draw horses that we do have around here seem to be relatively immune to spooking. I've had to pass a number of buggies, and it never seems to be a problem. OTOH, I pass as wide as I can.

OtayBW
01-31-2016, 01:37 PM
I used to map soils for a living which meant that I literally walked or drove nearly every farm and field in many counties in rural Tennessee where I lived at the time. Cows were no problem - really kind of dumb animals; will follow you around looking to lick the truck looking for food, etc. You never had to pay them any mind. If there was even one horse in that field, though, I never took my eye off him. Much as I love 'em, you just never know with horses....

Ronsonic
01-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Anybody remember this horse from some years ago?

Really broke up the peloton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQSkmsFCjSA

numbskull
02-01-2016, 07:41 AM
Anybody remember this horse from some years ago?

Really broke up the peloton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQSkmsFCjSA

Fantastic!

Thanks for the laugh