PDA

View Full Version : kurt kinetic road machine question

dancinkozmo
01-19-2016, 08:33 PM
hi guys...im thinking of getting the kurt kinetic road machine trainer and noticed they come with a quick release skewer for the rear wheel...anyone know why ?
can anyone tell me if a nutted single speed axle (see pic) will work with this trainer or do i need some sort of adapter ?? thanks !

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Rear_dropout.JPG

cmbicycles
01-19-2016, 08:37 PM
You'll be fine with what you have. Most trainers come with a cheap steel skewer so you don't scratch up the nice looking one you might have on the bike.

carpediemracing
01-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Most trainers come with a skewer because a lot of the new "wheel skewers" are not capped with a cylindrical shape, like the HED or Campy or Mavic skewers.

By supplying a skewer KK knows that your bike should be predictably clamped to the trainer.

Your hub, with nuts, should work fine. I've put my track bike on a trainer no problem, similar as KK. I used to use a FLuid2, didn't bother changing skewer, am using KK now, it's fine. So if track is good with Fluid2, and Fluid2 is good with KK, then track should be good with KK.

There may be cosmetic or even real damage to the built in washer thing on the nut. I can't remember how my bike fared.

If you want I'll go and switch bikes on the trainer.

Ti Designs
01-19-2016, 09:56 PM
I got this one - I'm a bike fitter, I use that trainer, I've probably put more different bikes in that trainer than anyone. The supplied ends are designed to hold their steel QR which is slightly larger than the 15mm nuts on a track hub. If you tighten it down you'll be able to bottom on the washer, but the bike will still be able to wobble around a bit. If you take the supplied ends off (there's a 4mm allen head that you unscrew), there is a 1/2" cylinder. Get yourself two 15mm sockets for 1/2" drive, they'll fit over the cylinders, and hold the track nuts perfectly.

For what it's worth, any trainer is designed to fit on most bikes, but it almost seems like bike companies are coming out with bikes that for some reason don't work. For example, higher end Trek Madone frames have internal cables which stop at one side of the dropout, but the cable stop is at the other, so a bare cable is exposed above the QR head. Clamping the bike in the trainer can pinch the cable and keep the rear derailleur from working... Given a lathe and some time I can work around most problems.

01-19-2016, 10:13 PM
Without modifying the trainer, you can get a couple specialized track nuts from Tacx that screw onto your track axle in place of your track nuts (or on top of them if you have enough threads left) and have a cylindrical extension which perfectly fits the recesses in a number of trainers, including this one. You can just leave them on the bike and it's ready to drop into the trainer.

Peter P.
01-20-2016, 06:24 AM
Kurt Kinetic sells cups to hold virtually any type of rear wheel, including nutted axles. (https://kurtkinetic.com/products/track-cone-cups/)

If you don't like the fit of the supplied cones, order some of those.

dancinkozmo
01-20-2016, 07:33 PM
....thanks everyone for the informative responses...i dont ever recall posting a question here and not receiving excellent feedback.

cheers :beer:

19wisconsin64
01-20-2016, 07:55 PM
hi, i ride my track bike on my kurt trainer...it did not fit properly....

called the company, they sent me two free "cones" for track axle bikes, now it works perfectly.

great trainer, great service

the original cones make my track/fixed gear bike unstable and scratched my frame. everything is happy now.

good luck!