PDA

View Full Version : How late were frame pumps a thing?

TronnyJenkins
01-19-2016, 03:31 PM
Admittedly I'm a younger guy, so I'm not quite sure how long they used them.

I'm restoring a '89-90 Bianchi Mondiale and picked up a celeste pump that I had intended on using with my '82 Nuova Racing, but unfortunately it's like a centimeter off for the pump to fit. It will fit on the Mondiale however...

palincss
01-19-2016, 03:32 PM
You sound like you think frame pumps are done. Which, of course, isn't so.

christian
01-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Late 1990s, early 2000s would be when minipumps started to predominate over framepumps, I think. At least in the northeast US.

TronnyJenkins
01-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Late 1990s, early 2000s would be when minipumps started to predominate over framepumps, I think. At least in the northeast US.

OK sweet. I'm golden then.

MattTuck
01-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Behold, the Silca Impero Ultimate Frame Pump... one pump to rule them all. And it came out last year.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0309/9521/products/Impero_full_3_Fotor_Collage_grande.jpg?v=143991962 6

ergott
01-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Time still ticks on all my road bikes. Frame pumps all the way.

Geeheeb
01-19-2016, 04:10 PM
I have 76,96, and 06 frames with pump pegs

benb
01-19-2016, 04:41 PM
I started riding seriously in 2000 and IIRC I bought a mini-pump for my mountain bike that year but when I bought a road bike 3-4 months later I bought a full size pump.

I don't think I miss the full size pump.. the stroke volume is bigger but they're just as unwieldy to hold and/or pump sometimes. I love the hose on my Lezyne that I have right now, I suppose if you had a frame pump that hid the hose inside the same way that'd be the best of everything.

pinoymamba
01-19-2016, 04:53 PM
frame pump for me during the winter when i don't want to be pumping in the cold.

krhea
01-19-2016, 04:56 PM
frame pump for me during the winter when i don't want to be pumping in the cold.

Exactly this!

Lewis Moon
01-19-2016, 05:17 PM
A Silca Impero rides under my top tube.

exapkib
01-19-2016, 05:34 PM
My frame pump was a thing as recently as this morning.

Nothing better than stopping to fix someone else's flat tire with you frame pump after they have exhausted their own resources.

TronnyJenkins
01-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much love for them.

Definitely had no idea a frame as late as 2006 could have a pump peg!

FlashUNC
01-19-2016, 09:06 PM
They've never not been a thing.

Ronsonic
01-19-2016, 09:10 PM
Mine was broken when the bike it was on got stolen and recovered. Still looking for the right replacement. Beats the hell out of stroking a minipump until it's satisfied.

christian
01-19-2016, 09:11 PM
They've never not been a thing.
Gonfleur era. You didn't want to be seen as a frame pump luddite during the brief, but epic, gonfleur era*.

That would be circa 1953-1956.

R3awak3n
01-19-2016, 09:13 PM
I never leave the house without one. Mini pumps suck, never worked properly for me and I have had a few.

FastforaSlowGuy
01-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Still a thing, just a LOT less common. In the mid-90s, when I first started riding, full-size frame pumps were still pretty common sights on a group ride. Minipumps sucked (still do, IMHO), and CO2 just wasn't there. I think today you'll see most people using CO2 (unless it's cold!), and frame pumps are a tiny slice of the market. I carry a minipump because its reliable (still a PITA), but I really, really want an Impero.

okie1kenobi
01-19-2016, 10:44 PM

I'm restoring a '89-90 Bianchi Mondiale and picked up a celeste pump that I had intended on using with my '82 Nuova Racing, but unfortunately it's like a centimeter off for the pump to fit. It will fit on the Mondiale however...

My '80 Nuovo Racing, Silca pump still going strong:

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/bianchi-nuovo-racing-1980-19962_19.jpg

verbs4us
01-20-2016, 06:04 AM
Delivered last month, avec matchy-matchy frame pump. Don't believe in hunching over mini pump or contributing to global warming by massive CO2 cartridge consumption.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybicycles/23204112364/in/album-72157662556161115/

oldpotatoe
01-20-2016, 06:11 AM

Yesterday

chiasticon
01-20-2016, 06:51 AM
frame pumps, ftw :cool:

velomonkey
01-20-2016, 07:02 AM
I'm going back to full frame pump for solo or 2 person rides.

At least once or twice a year I get an instance where having a Co2 failed me. This spring - bad valve on replacement tube, had to do the phone call.
This summer - change the tube and use C02 and tire comes unseated. Let air out and reseat try and get all I can out of the C02 and tire is at like 15 psi. It was rear tire so had to ride 8 miles home without sitting and leaning as far forward as possible so as to save the wheel.

Just the other weak I changed tires, go out and tire comes unseated and that was in the first 10 minutes. Let air out, reseat, use C02 and now have nothing for the rest of the ride should a flat occur.

I have a mini pump but they throw off the look of the bike when mounted on bottle cages and they aren't as good. Full frame w/ patch kit all those instances would have been totally cured.

JasonF
01-20-2016, 07:13 AM
I'm going back to full frame pump for solo or 2 person rides.

At least once or twice a year I get an instance where having a Co2 failed me.

Same here. In fact, using the "brand name" ripoff cartridges in conjunction with the brand's Co2 head resulted in failures twice last year: the cartridge couldn't be pierced by the head. I've never heard anecdotal evidence of a pump failing and never experienced it myself.

Mark McM
01-20-2016, 09:25 AM
It's sad, but true, that many riders today have replaced a frame pump (and all other take-along tools) with a cell phone. I know many people who would rather make a call for a ride home than to carry bike tools and learn how to use them.

It used to be that one of the ethos of cycling was of self sufficiency. Cyclists took pride in not only providing all the energy to transport themselves, but also in being able to always get to where they were going even if it meant being able to repair their bikes on the road.

Now, many no longer consider their bikes transportation, but as play toys, and if they should break, then they can always get back home with real transportation (motor vehicles).

AngryScientist
01-20-2016, 09:32 AM
I know many people who would rather make a call for a ride home than to carry bike tools and learn how to use them.

these people must not ride very far from home !

on some longer rides it could easily take someone an hour + to get to where I am, 5 minutes to change a tube sure beats waiting by the side of the road for an hour!

benb
01-20-2016, 09:41 AM
I don't carry a frame pump but I would not be caught dead without my mini-pump and I totally can't understand C02 or calling someone to pick you up over something simple like a flat tire.

Last group ride I was on someone had 2 flats.. she had C02 and the temp was about 25F. On the second flat the whole group essentially pulled into a parking lot and there was this big funny thing where just about everyone looked over her tire to figure out what the heck was wrong. When it was time to inflate she went to use her C02 and the inflator blew a bunch of it's contents out into the atmosphere.

There were a whole bunch of pumps on the ride so of course the full size frame pump got used to inflate her tire. I did some of the inflating and didn't seem like a whole lot less work than my Lezyne road drive.

I get the impression C02 weighs more than pumps too.

chiasticon
01-20-2016, 09:42 AM
It's sad, but true, that many riders today have replaced a frame pump (and all other take-along tools) with a cell phone. I know many people who would rather make a call for a ride home than to carry bike tools and learn how to use them.yeah there's a younger, single guy that rides with one of the local clubs who races and has only been riding a few years. someone pointed him at the Velominati rules and he ditched his (MASSIVE) saddle bag for...a cell phone. when asked what he'll do if he flats, he replies: "I just ride Gatorskins so that I never flat." I'm still waiting for the day when he does and I have to convince the whole group to ride off, so he can learn his lesson.

however, there's another guy in the same club that rides deep section carbon tubulars on a $10k+ bike. he also brings nothing with him. he says "tubulars ride so much better, I can't ride anything else. but I don't want to change a tire at the side of the road so I just call my wife." unlike the other guy, he's in his 60's, decently well-off, and has a stay-at-home wife. if she's OK with it, who am I to judge? :D

Fatty
01-20-2016, 09:47 AM

That is one dialed ride there Okie. Love it.

tv_vt
01-20-2016, 09:52 AM
Yeah, full size frame pumps are alive and well. Love having that little peg behind the head tube. Tough on a carbon bike, but easy as pie on steel and ti and even al.

Think they started to go out of fashion when the 'bike industry' decided that the swoopy lines of carbon frames didn't lend themselves to holding a full sized frame pump - hence the proliferation of those stupid mini-pumps and CO2 bombs.

PS. That Bianchi is the sh-t.

oldpotatoe
01-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Never seen this before.

saab2000
01-20-2016, 12:24 PM
As others have mentioned, they're still a thing. Here's a picture taken in May 2015 after my single, solitary gravel road ride on my gravel road bike.

The pump was used, but not by me. It was used by a guy who forgot to bring a tube and a pump. This gets used all the time by riders other than myself.

"Hey, do you mind if I, uh, borrow your pump so I don't have to, you know, waste a CO2 cartridge?"

I could retire if I charged a dollar for every time someone used my trusty Z馷al HPx. :beer:

BTW, yes, the bike has a pump peg and the pump doesn't even really rattle but I have strapped on to prevent any possible rattling and to be certain it's secure. It's cheap insurance against rattles and having it go for a dive into the weeds.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7797/17901157710_53736960cc_b.jpg

donevwil
01-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Wouldn't leave home without it. Blackburn FP-1 in the long discontinued aluminum body (my #2 hoarding item). Out of sight (when in the saddle), out of mind and has never fallen off or been ejected in even the most jarring events. Best frame pump I've tried and I've tried most (not, however, the 6 to 10x the price Impero Ultimate). Have had many friends beg to use it when all they had was a mini. I went from a frame pump to CO2 in the early '90s and used it through the late '90s, but that got really old when I stopped racing (early '00s) and started riding more dirt, gravel and fire roads.

Mark McM
01-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Think they started to go out of fashion when the 'bike industry' decided that the swoopy lines of carbon frames didn't lend themselves to holding a full sized frame pump - hence the proliferation of those stupid mini-pumps and CO2 bombs.

It might have started earlier, with the advent of rear suspension on MTBs, which often had linkages or shocks inside the main triangle.

But yeah, with new frame designs that no longer standard double triangle frames made with from straight tubes, it is harder to find a place where frame pumps will fit.

(Owner of 4 bikes that easily fit frame pumps, and 1 bike that does not.)

bfd
01-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Wouldn't leave home without it. Blackburn FP-1 in the long discontinued aluminum body (my #2 hoarding item). Out of sight (when in the saddle), out of mind and has never fallen off or been ejected in even the most jarring events. Best frame pump I've tried and I've tried most (not, however, the 6 to 10x the price Impero Ultimate). Have had many friends beg to use it when all they had was a mini. I went from a frame pump to CO2 in the early '90s and used it through the late '90s, but that got really old when I stopped racing (early '00s) and started riding more dirt, gravel and fire roads.

Agree, I too use a Blackburn fullframe pump and even mount it in the same space behind the left seat stay, I love it! Since they discontinued it, I was able to buy a backup one that is too small for my frame that was on sale at my LBS. I got it for the spare parts.

The biggest problem I see is that eventually the rubber washer that the tube valve goes into will wear out and there are no replacements?! Errr, I've called Blackburn several times and they keep trying to offer me a mini-pump as a replacement. All I want is a source for the rubber washer. Anybody know where to get one or a dozen....Good Luck!

donevwil
01-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Agree, I too use a Blackburn fullframe pump and even mount it in the same space behind the left seat stay, I love it! Since they discontinued it, I was able to buy a backup one that is too small for my frame that was on sale at my LBS. I got it for the spare parts.

The biggest problem I see is that eventually the rubber washer that the tube valve goes into will wear out and there are no replacements?! Errr, I've called Blackburn several times and they keep trying to offer me a mini-pump as a replacement. All I want is a source for the rubber washer. Anybody know where to get one or a dozen....Good Luck!

Not good to hear, last I needed replacement parts (~4 years ago) Blackburn still had everything in stock. Granted sent parts for free so inventory may have been depleted quickly. I work with a lot of rubber washer/grommet/o-ring/gasket suppliers, I'll see what I can find.

Ronsonic
01-20-2016, 06:54 PM

That's the one I had, that got trashed. :crap: I want one.

SteveV0983
01-20-2016, 10:28 PM
My 2012 Moots with pump peg to hold my Zefal HPX4. I carry a CO2 also, but if I could only have one choice, it would be the Zefal in a second.

pdmtong
01-20-2016, 10:38 PM
there is no doubt that the singular best inflation option to have on the side of the road would be a frame pump. ride surface and distance to help play into peoples choices.

around here, the pavement is good. I can count the handful of times I've flatted in the past decade. so mini pump to stage the tube, and finish with CO2 for me. I carry two cartridges, a spare tube, and patch kit. no issues.

sometimes the frame pump is an aesthetic homage, in addition to being useful
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=90938&stc=1&d=1329452001

two bikes have pump pegs but the pumps stay home. One day if I change my mid the new silca impero will be the choice. At $165 is not cheap, but it is oh so smooth and feels great in the hands.

R3awak3n
01-20-2016, 10:42 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xft1/t51.2885-15/e35/12120249_1061538067231178_1225056094_n.jpg

always comes with me, even on short park rides. I also carry CO2 but I do not really need to, doesn't take much to pump a tire up to what is suppose to be.

With mini pumps I always just pumped enough to get me home, with a frame pump, I can pump enough to keep going.

I ride by myself a lot so I guess a frame pump is even more of a must.

bfd
01-20-2016, 10:52 PM
Not good to hear, last I needed replacement parts (~4 years ago) Blackburn still had everything in stock. Granted sent parts for free so inventory may have been depleted quickly. I work with a lot of rubber washer/grommet/o-ring/gasket suppliers, I'll see what I can find.

Thanks! Let us know what you find out. Good Luck!

fogrider
01-21-2016, 02:41 AM
I use both. there are good frame pumps but I had some that didn't do so well. also I've had a few paint and decals scratched up by a frame pump. I've also had crummy mini pumps and a few that work well. some bikes just don't look good with a frame pump and some carbon frames just won't work with a frame pump.

palincss
01-21-2016, 12:49 PM
Wow, I didn't realize there was so much love for them.

Definitely had no idea a frame as late as 2006 could have a pump peg!

Pump pegs are available on brand new Firefly and Seven titanium bikes, and honestly, is there any builder more trendy than Firefly?

FlashUNC
01-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Heck, Roland practically gives you one with a frame purchase. All you have to do is pay for the painting it to match whatever frame color you pick.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/667/21479261820_e732a06be8_b.jpg

bfd
01-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Heck, Roland practically gives you one with a frame purchase. All you have to do is pay for the painting it to match whatever frame color you pick.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/667/21479261820_e732a06be8_b.jpg

Really? Does he give you one of the old Silca pumps?! I recently was going through my parts bin and found an old Campy pump head for a silca pump! Hmm, need to get a new gasket and see if I can get it going. I probably have a pump barrel somewhere in my garage.

Good Luck!

teleguy57
01-21-2016, 06:11 PM

That's the one I had, that got trashed. :crap: I want one.

Same place as my Blackburn with a plastic barrel rides on my ti Gran Paradiso. Titanium, check, seatstay-mounted frame pump, check. Glad to be part of the club!

FlashUNC
01-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Really? Does he give you one of the old Silca pumps?! I recently was going through my parts bin and found an old Campy pump head for a silca pump! Hmm, need to get a new gasket and see if I can get it going. I probably have a pump barrel somewhere in my garage.

Good Luck!

Yup. Roland told me he bought out several hundred when one of the importers was closing back in the 90s. All it cost me was the $25 for paint. Cut it to fit and everything. No brainer add-on when getting a frame from him.

Bought a Campy head on eBay to replace the stock head.

TronnyJenkins
01-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Love the passion for full size pumps! Haha.
Also, thanks for the pictures of alternate mounting locations. I'm not sure that mine would work on the seat stay, but it looks kinda cool.

donevwil
01-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Same place as my Blackburn with a plastic barrel rides on my ti Gran Paradiso. Titanium, check, seatstay-mounted frame pump, check. Glad to be part of the club!

A Blackburn on the seatstay of a Hampsten Ti Gran Paradiso ? Surely you jest ! (My wife's bike)

velomonkey
01-31-2016, 08:26 AM
Just adding to this love of full frame pumps. Silca Impero on bare ti - it aint cheap but it looks great. That thing better last me 20 years.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1704/24611887942_d189707f0c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DuSmPy)FullSizeRender (https://flic.kr/p/DuSmPy)

gomango
01-31-2016, 08:48 AM
Gotta have a frame pump. :)

My McLean and a couple of my Kvales.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/456/18744334570_9e9a38b333_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/uynBCf)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/uynBCf) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7616/16538615757_f971a6d734_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rcsJgx)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/rcsJgx) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7072/7330346568_13292972d8_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/caKWDE)DSCN3763 (https://flic.kr/p/caKWDE) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

Peter P.
01-31-2016, 09:19 AM
It's sad, but true, that many riders today have replaced a frame pump (and all other take-along tools) with a cell phone. I know many people who would rather make a call for a ride home than to carry bike tools and learn how to use them.

It used to be that one of the ethos of cycling was of self sufficiency. Cyclists took pride in not only providing all the energy to transport themselves, but also in being able to always get to where they were going even if it meant being able to repair their bikes on the road.

Now, many no longer consider their bikes transportation, but as play toys, and if they should break, then they can always get back home with real transportation (motor vehicles).

Well written.

Even if the rider is not skilled enough to use those repair tools, having them on hand is still very beneficial should a more knowledgeable cyclist come along. Having the tools show you at least made SOME effort.

Do they even have a presta/shrader app for smartphones?!

bobswire
01-31-2016, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't be caught dead (flat) without one. :)

http://i61.tinypic.com/hts6k7.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/23hwsjp.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/15ziw6.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/29zoqi8.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/29xzz8n.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/15sa0w2.jpg

TronnyJenkins
01-31-2016, 11:20 AM
Gotta have a frame pump. :)

My McLean and a couple of my Kvales.

(picture), on Flickr

(picture), on Flickr

(picture), on Flickr

Sweet Kvales!
Funny story- I actually bought a crankset from Chris for the build on which the frame pump is going ;)

velomonkey
01-31-2016, 01:11 PM
Colnago C59 w/ Silca Impero. Yea, it works.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1650/24106909704_46a5b8ae34_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CJfdod)FullSizeRender-2 (https://flic.kr/p/CJfdod)

bikingshearer
02-01-2016, 12:33 AM
Every bike I have has it's own full-time stay-on-the-bike frame pump because I do want to have to remember to swap a pump between frames. A couple are old Silcas with old Campy steel heads. Others are Zefal HPx's. The Silcas are there to match the colors of the frames they are on, but they do work.

The Silcas look better, but Zefals work noticeably better. And they are much better at fighting off dogs, although I haven't had to do that in a long time.

I will confess that my routine for flats now includes using the frame pump to get started, then finish with CO2. It's a lot easier to get up to the neighborhood of 120psi that way. (I'm a big boy, and I ride 25s with plenty o' air.) But I have the pump that will get me up to an air pressure sufficient to get my home if need be.

oldpotatoe
02-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Every bike I have has it's own full-time stay-on-the-bike frame pump because I do want to have to remember to swap a pump between frames. A couple are old Silcas with old Campy steel heads. Others are Zefal HPx's. The Silcas are there to match the colors of the frames they are on, but they do work.

The Silcas look better, but Zefals work noticeably better. And they are much better at fighting off dogs, although I haven't had to do that in a long time.

I will confess that my routine for flats now includes using the frame pump to get started, then finish with CO2. It's a lot easier to get up to the neighborhood of 120psi that way. (I'm a big boy, and I ride 25s with plenty o' air.) But I have the pump that will get me up to an air pressure sufficient to get my home if need be.

These threads aren't complete without a discussion about air pressure. I'm a big boy too, I ride 25s(tubulars)(or 28 clinchers) too and I never use more than 85 psi on clinchers and about 90 psi on the tubulars..IMHO-of course.

Wish I needed a pump(Silca on MXLeader, Blackburn on Moots), cuz I'd get the new Impero in an instant.

saab2000
02-01-2016, 06:52 AM
These threads aren't complete without a discussion about air pressure. I'm a big boy too, I ride 25s(tubulars)(or 28 clinchers) too and I never use more than 85 psi on clinchers and about 90 psi on the tubulars..IMHO-of course.

Wish I needed a pump(Silca on MXLeader, Blackburn on Moots), cuz I'd get the new Impero in an instant.

I'm the same way with tire pressure. I don't find it hard to get a tire up to nearly 100 PSI with my Z馷al HPx pumps. And a high quality tubular doesn't mind being a bit under pressure anyway.

I've measured PSI after pumping them up and they can be as high as 100 PSI. My technique is to get it firm and then get my stuff ready to get rolling again. Then I'll give the pump a few more strokes to get those last few PSI into the tire.

TronnyJenkins
02-01-2016, 09:24 AM
The pump I grabbed is a Silca with Campy head. Works OK. Are there seals that ever need replacing?

FastforaSlowGuy
02-01-2016, 09:27 AM
This thread has me looking again at the Impero, which is not healthy for my wallet.

FlashUNC
02-01-2016, 09:31 AM
The pump I grabbed is a Silca with Campy head. Works OK. Are there seals that ever need replacing?

Yes. The rubber gasket between the pump and the head can crack and need replacing.

And the leather bung or whatever in the pump itself can wear too. But replacement parts are out there for both.

campy man
02-01-2016, 09:44 AM

Curious to hear the reasoning for locating a frame pump near the rear wheel vs along the top tube. When I used to do group rides I would bust my a** to get around anybody riding with a pump in this location.

Never any problems with CO2 but this thread has me thinking about giving a modern frame pump a second chance.

54ny77
02-01-2016, 10:09 AM
that bianchi is superb. :beer:

R3awak3n
02-01-2016, 10:43 AM
that bianchi is superb. :beer:

this is now my favorite thread, so good, bikes with pumps are so good/people that use bike pumps know how to put together good bikes :D

TronnyJenkins
02-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Here's my restoration. I'll probably just put the pump on this one.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/punkrockdrummer5/IMG_8668_zpsa2oo5erv.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/punkrockdrummer5/media/IMG_8668_zpsa2oo5erv.jpg.html)

bfd
02-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Yes. The rubber gasket between the pump and the head can crack and need replacing.

And the leather bung or whatever in the pump itself can wear too. But replacement parts are out there for both.

If your LBS does business with Euro-Asia Imports, replacement parts are readily available.

Campy pump head gaskets are available:

http://www.euroasiaimports.com/ProductCart/pc/Spares-c2121.htm

Also, parts for Silca frame and floor pumps are available too:

http://www.euroasiaimports.com/ProductCart/pc/Spares-c2093.htm?pageStyle=h&ProdSort=19&page=4&idCategory=2093&viewAll=yes

Good Luck!

bfd
02-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Curious to hear the reasoning for locating a frame pump near the rear wheel vs along the top tube. When I used to do group rides I would bust my a** to get around anybody riding with a pump in this location.

Never any problems with CO2 but this thread has me thinking about giving a modern frame pump a second chance.

The main reason why I carry my full frame pump long the left rear seat stay instead of the top tube is clearance. I don't have any room under the top tube on my calfee. However, the left rear seat stay is no problem.

Good Luck!

donevwil
02-01-2016, 11:51 AM

First and foremost my top tubes (62cm) are too long for any frame pump I've found, granted the new Impero Ultimate - Too Tall would fit, but I see no reason for such an expensive frame pump.

In over 20 years with a pump either up the seatstay of back of the seat tube I've never had one fall off or launch. Granted I've always used the Blackburn FP-1 which is small in diameter and has a strong spring so they fit close and snug.

palincss
02-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Curious to hear the reasoning for locating a frame pump near the rear wheel vs along the top tube.

You mean, besides that they look super cool in that location? If you need to shoulder-carry the bike, a pump under the top tube will be in the way.

pdmtong
02-01-2016, 02:45 PM
my '80 nuovo racing, silca pump still going strong:

this is perfection, agreed

Hindmost
02-01-2016, 03:05 PM

Disassembly, cleaning of the barrel and leather washer, and lubrication can work wonders.

Silca provided a tiny vial of silicone oil along with replacement leather washers that I ordered.

AngryScientist
02-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Bahh, "graphene" tires are here. Flats are a thing of yesteryear. Toss your frame pumps, co2, and cell phones in the trash!

bikingshearer
02-01-2016, 06:13 PM

In my case, "big boy" means 6'3", somewhere between 265 and 275 lbs, usually in the upper half of that range. Most of my rides are on Conti 4000s, 25mm. I ride those at 120psi to avoid pinch flats. I hate pinch flats. I very, very rarely get them. Mission accomplished.

Frame pumps generally won't get pressure that high, although the Zefal will get closer easier than will the old Silca. Either one will put in enough air to finish a ride, but it's easier and more effective to start with the pump and finish with the CO2, and I don't have to strain myself trying to get that laaaaast bit of air into the tube. Of course, I lose more air ove the next few days, but that's what floor pumps are for. :beer: