PDA

View Full Version : Thru axle vs QR Front on Gravel bike

moots7
01-19-2016, 02:42 PM
I have a choice to make on a fork for my Routt, going with
an Enve CX Disc Fork, choice is QR or 12x100mm thru axle for thevfork. The front wheel (thanks Eric) is currently QR but convertible to thru axle. Is it best to go thru axle or is there much of a difference.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

zank
01-19-2016, 02:56 PM
No difference in terms of ride. I'd pick whatever your wheels are currently set up with.

01-19-2016, 03:01 PM
There's now Boost showing up and players like Chris King are backing it. I'm hearing now, just two or three months after everyone was tipping 142/12 and 100/10 (or 100/12) to be the winners, that Boost is the new game in town.

Truth is, trying to stay up with technological developments in cross bikes is going to be pretty hard. With rapid changes in shifting, braking, hub attachment, bottom brackets, and basically every other component that affects frame specs, just pick something you're comfortable with and don't spend too much on it. A quick release does fine. A front hub can always be updated with a new fork to accommodate a different attachment system, but there's no system you can pick today that'll be state of the art in 3-4 years and you might pick something that has no legacy and gets passed by rapidly so it actually becomes hard to work with in a few years. I'm interested in spec'ing a new frame, and I can't get a clear solution to a blazing state-of-the-art frame either. I imagine this rapid change in standards isn't helping the high end custom gravel and cross frame builders these days.

mwynne
01-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Similar spot here, planning a new bike (still a good ways out), pretty sure I want TA front and rear, but debating 12 or 15mm up front (not too worried about 100mm spacing vs boost though).

p nut
01-19-2016, 04:11 PM
When I had my custom (Mountain) bike built up about 1.5 years ago, I just stuck to 100/135. It is a rigid bike with a steel fork from the builder, so no need to keep up with the changing standards for the front wheel.

I basically looked at:
* Hub availability now and into the future: MANY manuf still make these. If in doubt, just buy an extra set or two of King, DTS, etc. and you've got a lifetime supply.
* Performance vs. cost: Basically no difference from my standpoint in performance. I'm fairly light at 160lbs though.
* User friendliness: I have another bike with TA. Not a huge hassle, but I hate having to unscrew the whole bolt out every time I need to take the wheel off. Reinstalling the wheel is more hassle as well.

QR works for me just fine, and if I were to build another frame today, that's what I'd stick with, UNLESS:
* I was looking at using suspension forks.
* Needing to use carbon forks, such as ENVE/Niner/etc. where there are more choices for TA applications.