PDA

View Full Version : New kid here with lunch tray in hand and a question

m_moses
06-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi folks,
I知 relatively new here but wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. Our hosts here will be happy to know that I own two Serottas: one is a steel Fierte (my main ride) and the other is a Legend DKS that I purchased from another forum member awhile back. Being a Serotta owner is what drew me here but the collective wisdom about all-things-cycling keeps me coming back. (The Kool-Aid is good, yo.)

My question: I知 building up a frame that requires cantilever brakes and I知 not sure which kind to buy. The bike is essentially a road bike frame with clearance for larger tires that I値l be riding primarily on lots of patched and broken urban streets. The brakes need to be compatible with Shimano STI brifters. I致e seen various models of Avid brakes in the catalogs and recently discovered that Shimano also makes a canti-brake but my choices seem somewhat limited. Anyone have a recommendation for a good canti-brake?

Thanks,
Mick

obtuse
06-02-2006, 05:03 PM
the best obtuse brakes are the paul neo-retros. they work great.

obtuse

zank
06-02-2006, 05:08 PM
The Kool Aid is good, just stay away from the Flavor Aid.

You will do fine with either the Avids or the Shimanos for road use. You really don't need the extra clearance offered by some of the brakes more common on cyclocross bikes, like Spooky, Empella or the Paul's Neo-Retro. If you wanted to go ultra high-end, you could get the Paul's Touring Canti, but that would be purely for show.

Jason E
06-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Paul's Touring Canti, but that would be purely for show.

.....And there is nothing wrong with that!

I use the neo Retro's with Campy levers. They work fine. I love'em.

stevep
06-02-2006, 05:21 PM
i think they all stink. i have to replace a set every season because they rust/ freeze up and work like shiite...they dont work that great with road levers anyway... so buy cheap ones and throw 'em away every year.
obtuse refuses to clean my bike after every use and therefore i will not go to his team...even though he promised me $50,000 up front.

zank
06-02-2006, 05:46 PM
.....And there is nothing wrong with that!

I use the neo Retro's with Campy levers. They work fine. I love'em.

I knew I was going to get nailed for that comment. You are right. Who am I to talk? I have a set of carbon Spookys ready to go for September. Silly, I know.

dirtdigger88
06-02-2006, 06:32 PM
pull up a seat-

I like the pauls- but what do I know

I have both the neos and the touring-

for show- sure!!!

but the stop real sweet too

Jason

Ken Robb
06-02-2006, 06:41 PM
my old Shimano XT brakes work as well as my Paul Neo-Retros. Oryx are easy to set up and work well too.

PBWrench
06-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Neo Retros with Campy brifters here as well on my cross rig.

Ginger
06-02-2006, 08:59 PM
I have the Paul neo retro on the front and the touring canti on the rear with campy. The touring canti on the rear allows a bit better foot clearance. I'm happy with mine.

Peter P.
06-02-2006, 09:02 PM
The Avids or the Shimanos are definitely good choices; just simple, easy to work with, and compatible with STI levers. If you can find the old, Dia Compe 986's you'll be in heaven. I much prefer their centering adjustment design, which uses a cone wrench and a 5mm allen wrench to tweak spring tension.

zank
06-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Sorry folks. That came out all wrong about the Pauls. They are some of the sweetest brakes out there. I think I had a Friday night moment. I didn't mean to offend.

Marburg
06-02-2006, 10:52 PM
I've run Spookys and Pauls to good effect on 'cross bikes. That said, I really like the (new) Shimano cantis we just put on my wife's touring bike.

You're got lots of good choices. Some of them are even expensive.

Oh, I've got one Avid canti for sale, fer cheap, if you're interested.

Rapid Tourist
06-03-2006, 06:18 AM
I run the empella frog legs which aren't the greatest in terms of braking power or ease of setup, but they look REALLY COOL and that counts for a lot :banana: :banana: :banana:

palincss
06-03-2006, 06:37 AM
Hi folks,
I知 relatively new here but wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. Our hosts here will be happy to know that I own two Serottas: one is a steel Fierte (my main ride) and the other is a Legend DKS that I purchased from another forum member awhile back. Being a Serotta owner is what drew me here but the collective wisdom about all-things-cycling keeps me coming back. (The Kool-Aid is good, yo.)

My question: I知 building up a frame that requires cantilever brakes and I知 not sure which kind to buy. The bike is essentially a road bike frame with clearance for larger tires that I値l be riding primarily on lots of patched and broken urban streets. The brakes need to be compatible with Shimano STI brifters. I致e seen various models of Avid brakes in the catalogs and recently discovered that Shimano also makes a canti-brake but my choices seem somewhat limited. Anyone have a recommendation for a good canti-brake?

Thanks,
Mick

Those new Shimanos seem to be very well received by the folks using them - and they look good, too. They're a perfectly safe choice. I've heard plenty of complaints about squeal with Avid Shorty's, although a set that I have on my George Longstaff work well and don't squeal if the rim's clean. These are all known to work well with Shimano spring-loaded aero levers & brifters.

I've also got a set of Shimano XT2 high-profile canti's on my Saluki. These were NOS, made in the early 90s. They're splendid with Shimano aero brake levers - great feel, great power. They're considerably more fiddly to set up than either the Avids or the new Shimanos, though. Still, they were a great bargain and they look wonderful.

If cost is no object, consider Pauls - either the neo-retro our the touring. The neo-retro is based on the long-arm Mafac, only much easier to set up (no need to use a 12" crescent wrench to bend the arms to adjust toe!) and they're expensive as hell, but they look great and they're fantastically powerful. Their touring is less high-profile, less powerful, and less likely to overpower a flimsy frame. All Pauls canti's are known to work well with brifters and aero levers.

William
06-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Sorry folks. That came out all wrong about the Pauls. They are some of the sweetest brakes out there. I think I had a Friday night moment. I didn't mean to offend.

AKA:Brain-Fart. ;)

What's good for the Effin Cross bike???

William

m_moses
06-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm glad I asked because I'd never heard of some of the brands mentioned. The Pauls seem to be a favorite here but Mr. Paul is surely proud of 'em at almost $200. But I want some good stoppers so maybe they're worth it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Mick