PDA

View Full Version : Hope this is the start of a new trend

Lewis Moon
01-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Really.
Peter Sagan sports hairy legs at San Luis TT (http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/peter-sagan-must-have-forgotten-his-razor-as-he-sports-hairy-legs-in-san-luis-time-trial-207586)

Veloo
01-19-2016, 07:23 AM
Trend, shmend.
I've been doing this for over a year.

:D

Lewis Moon
01-19-2016, 07:44 AM
Trend, shmend.
I've been doing this for over a year.

I haven't shaved my legs since '93.

zap
01-19-2016, 08:16 AM
Early season resistance training ;):hello:

Tony T
01-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Slow (Cycling) news day :)

jmoore
01-19-2016, 09:31 AM
gross

Seramount
01-19-2016, 09:36 AM
Team Sasquatch...

Tony
01-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Why?

Lewis Moon
01-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Why?

Because.

johnniecakes
01-19-2016, 11:18 AM
He has a Rainbow Jersey, he can do what he wants. Since I try to stay upright I have shaved the legs since 1975

FlashUNC
01-19-2016, 11:21 AM
He really is the worst.

johnniecakes
01-19-2016, 11:24 AM
I don't understand all the hate over hair on the legs. The world is full bigger of problems than a little fuzz.

chiasticon
01-19-2016, 11:29 AM
he really is the worst.+1

MattTuck
01-19-2016, 11:32 AM
He really is the worst.

ha!

Is there no room in your heart for redemption? ;)

makoti
01-19-2016, 11:33 AM
I don't understand all the hate over hair on the legs. The world is full bigger of problems than a little fuzz.

True. I shave entirely out of habit, now. I've just grown (get it?!) accustomed to how legs look bare.

FlashUNC
01-19-2016, 11:40 AM
ha!

Is there no room in your heart for redemption? ;)

Let's recap his offseason:

1) Grease.
2) Ugliest bike in the pro peloton.
3) Decides that leg shaving isn't worth his time.

The greatest joke a Fred ever pulled was making the world think he was cool.

livingminimal
01-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Wretched. Terrible.

I could give a ···· about a lot of what the Velominati espouses or the seriousness with which it does, but "Shave your guns" is sacred law.

There is nothing, nothing, nothing worse than seeing someone on a nice bike, in a good kit, only to see a goddamn forest growing between the bibs and socks.

I like Sagan's flare. I love that he's our world champ. I don't care what his bike looks like (it's a cannondale FFS, its awful no matter what) and I thought Grease was hilarious)

This is akin to a war crime. It's in the Geneva convention or something.

CPP
01-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Wretched. Terrible.
There is nothing, nothing, nothing worse than seeing someone on a nice bike, in a good kit, only to see a goddamn forest growing between the bibs and socks.

Yes there is;

Seeing someone on a nice bike, in a good kit, only to see a goddamn forest growing between the bibs and BLACK socks!!!!

CPP
01-19-2016, 12:42 PM
Especially long ones!

Tony
01-19-2016, 12:48 PM

Hate is a strong word, used too often. Don't think anyone here hates hairy legs, I don't. My question was meant as "why" is Segan sporting hairy legs, what reason for this?
I can see not shaving, but for a time trail? Data suggests there is a drag penalty for harry legs.

pavel
01-19-2016, 12:51 PM
blond leg hair doesnt count anyway.

soulspinner
01-19-2016, 12:55 PM
blond leg hair doesnt count anyway.

:d

pavel
01-19-2016, 01:02 PM
you're right, it does, but as far as the visible spectrum it could be worse.

denapista
01-19-2016, 02:14 PM
Some people will never understand style and the look of cleanliness...

How else would one look at toned quads and calves? Our legs are the only things that we can show off. Why ruin that with hair? You're lying to yourself if you've never look at your quads or calves in the mirror...

Imagine this, with hair all over it..

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1876396/thumbs/o-LEG-MUSCLES-BIKE-570.jpg?4

MesiJezi
01-19-2016, 02:23 PM
This is awesome. Shaving your legs to gain a few seconds as an amateur cyclist is almost as ridiculous as amateur triathletes peeing in their kit on their bike to avoid a pit stop. I hope this becomes a trend...

drewellison
01-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Do you folks who shave your legs also shave your arms?
I'm a recreational cyclist and don't shave my legs.
Are the benefits to shaving your legs also applicable to arms? And face?
Drew

Spdntrxi
01-19-2016, 02:41 PM

Drew

No I don't shave my arms, not much hair anyways But data says yes it's applicable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josephr
01-19-2016, 02:43 PM

starting to get a bit creepy here.....didn't know hairy legs bothered you so much, but really wondering how much time you're focused in on your co-riders' leg smoothness...:rolleyes:

FlashUNC
01-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Drew

Forget the aero bits. Wound care is way easier when you're hairless.

Mark McM
01-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Drew

Well, this certainly explains how Kevin Costner beat Belov the Russian in 'American Flyers'

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ydo0LI39ZsU/U1_0Q9eFMHI/AAAAAAAACTA/9n3faiQunQg/s1600/af13.PNG

Mark McM
01-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Forget the aero bits. Wound care is way easier when you're hairless.

Except that studies show that shaved skin is more prone to infections, which is why it is no longer standard medical practice to shave hair for wound care.

gdw
01-19-2016, 03:00 PM
"This is awesome. Shaving your legs to gain a few seconds as an amateur cyclist is almost as ridiculous as amateur triathletes peeing in their kit on their bike to avoid a pit stop. I hope this becomes a trend... "

+1 Most of the folks who shave their legs do so out of vanity or to fit into a click. No thanks. They're cycling's version of the gym rats who wear wife beater tees.

FlashUNC
01-19-2016, 03:04 PM
Except that studies show that shaved skin is more prone to infections, which is why it is no longer standard medical practice to shave hair for wound care.

Forget the shaving after the wound happens. Pulling bandages off with a clump of hair in 'em is added insult to injury.

But I'd be curious to see those studies.

Dead Man
01-19-2016, 03:11 PM
Most of the folks who shave their legs do so out of vanity or to fit into a click. No thanks. They're cycling's version of the gym rats who wear wife beater tees.

You just insulted like 95% of road cyclists.... because? You're caught in a purgatory of insecurity because A), you're too insecure to shave your legs and B), you're too insecure to feel comfortable with the rest of us becuase you feel like we're judging you for not having shaved legs? AmIrite? Eh?

BTW - we are judging you for not having shaved legs.

josephr
01-19-2016, 03:16 PM
You just insulted like 95% of road cyclists.... because? You're caught in a purgatory of insecurity because A), you're too insecure to shave your legs and B), you're too insecure to feel comfortable with the rest of us becuase you feel like we're judging you for not having shaved legs? AmIrite? Eh?

so, 95% of the cyclists out there are creepers judging the character of other cyclists based on whether or not they're vane enough to shave their legs????

Dead Man
01-19-2016, 03:22 PM
so, 95% of the cyclists out there are creepers judging the character of other cyclists based on whether or not they're vane enough to shave their legs????

In this context, yes.

Any other time....

yes.

BobO
01-19-2016, 03:23 PM
How else would one look at toned quads and calves? Our legs are the only things that we can show off. Why ruin that with hair? You're lying to yourself if you've never look at your quads or calves in the mirror...

It's called sleeper camo, kinda like having a non-descript Grand Marquis with a 600 HP blown Coyote under the hood. They'll under-estimate you when you make the move. ;)

MattTuck
01-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Ahh, the shaving vs. not shaving debate. Part of the holy trinity of cycling forum debates.

Dead Man
01-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Why has nobody brought up the fact that he/they missed the podium by 6 seconds?

I'm strongly suspecting there's some unspoken (or maybe even spoken, depending on what the team dynamic is like) resentment for his contempt for the stage. 6 seconds - definitely could have made a difference.

sandyrs
01-19-2016, 03:39 PM
ahh, the shaving vs. Not shaving debate. Part of the holy trinity of cycling forum debates.

shimano parts are garbage.

Clinchers ride like crap.

MattTuck
01-19-2016, 03:49 PM

haha, yep.

There are two others that have (for the most part) been settled.

Is lance doping? and Should I wear a helmet?

Tony T
01-19-2016, 03:51 PM

95% seems high, but I never notice the legs of the guys riding.

Do I look insecure :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CW680NRUoAAUrz-.jpg:large

Dead Man
01-19-2016, 03:57 PM
95% seems high, but I never notice the legs of the guys riding.

Didn't know I was insecure :)

I am NOT saying unshaven dudes are insecure. But unshaven dudes who dig on shaven dudes.... yea, methinks. And methinks its for the A/B parts described.

gdw
01-19-2016, 04:05 PM
"You just insulted like 95% of road cyclists.... because? You're caught in a purgatory of insecurity because A), you're too insecure to shave your legs and B), you're too insecure to feel comfortable with the rest of us becuase you feel like we're judging you for not having shaved legs? AmIrite? Eh?"

95% seems kinda high unless you count the ladies of the road in your tally, even then it's high.

No insecurity here, just no interest. I'd rather spend the 5 minutes needed to mow my legs drinking another cop of coffee.

cinema
01-19-2016, 04:10 PM
this solidifies his status as my favorite cyclist in the peloton rn

Seramount
01-19-2016, 04:15 PM
shave the legs and keep the arms mowed down to a no. 1 clipper guard.

feels good when I swim, looks better when I ride.

win / win.

Mark McM
01-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Forget the shaving after the wound happens. Pulling bandages off with a clump of hair in 'em is added insult to injury.

But I'd be curious to see those studies.

You need only to Google with terms like "wound care" "infection" & "hair" to see as many studies as you'd like.

Dead Man
01-19-2016, 04:24 PM
shave the legs and keep the arms mowed down to a no. 1 clipper guard.

feels good when I swim, looks better when I ride.

win / win.

Yup.. this is what I do, too.

I envision the light, close-trimmed hair on my arms acts like aero-dimples and actually makes me MORE aero overall. ;)

FlashUNC
01-19-2016, 04:25 PM
You need only to Google with terms like "wound care" "infection" & "hair" to see as many studies as you'd like.

I have, and none seem to be 100% applicable. Good to know that shaving the Nuggets increases your chances of getting herpes though.

But you threw it out there, so I figured the burden of proof rested with you.

makoti
01-19-2016, 04:50 PM

Depends on which way the wind blows...

oldpotatoe
01-19-2016, 05:35 PM
Drew

Anybody who has a really good, deep massage on yer legs would say it's better to have them smooth and the massage therapist would agree.

gdw
01-19-2016, 05:42 PM
I live with a licensed massage therapist and she doesnt mind my hairy legs.
You probably should find one who uses massage oil.

R3awak3n
01-19-2016, 06:04 PM
this solidifies his status as my favorite cyclist in the peloton rn

+1

livingminimal
01-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Anybody who has a really good, deep massage on yer legs would say it's better to have them smooth and the massage therapist would agree.

As oldpotatoe probably knows, this is the actual reason professional cyclists shave their legs.

The rest of us, myself included, do it for aesthetics.

Someone said I sound creepy, DILLIGAF?

Shave your damn guns. Mine are covered in tattoos and would look extra ridiculous with a forest.

fuzzalow
01-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Hey, whatever. He's Sagan - he can do whatever he wants. Including, apparently in this case, having no professional pride in his yams.

Hell, I wish I had yams like his 'cos I'd show 'em off, shorn and oiled, like all the beauty of steroidal meat on display at a Mr. Universe pose down. Hey, as far as most of the civilian population, most cyclists have decent lookin legs anyway. No shame in that, so parade 'em out in public anyway you like.

I can't remember when I last had non-shaven legs, even the times when I temporarily stopped riding I kept the look. Hey, whatever turns you on.

Louis
01-19-2016, 06:48 PM
Ahh, the shaving vs. not shaving debate. Part of the holy trinity of cycling forum debates.

I'm sure chain lube's got to be up there too, and when indexed shifting first began to get traction I bet that was also a hot topic.

Tony T
01-19-2016, 06:56 PM
It's winter, how is this an issue now?

bironi
01-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Boy what are you East Coasters going to type about when the snow hits this weekend?

Tony T
01-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Less than a foot forecast, then warming, it'll all be gone by Tues :)

livingminimal
01-19-2016, 07:09 PM

Hahahaha....oh, man. Yeah. I mean, I've been going 10 days without shaving lately. My legs look gross. :help:

sandyrs
01-19-2016, 07:30 PM

Gotta look good while I ride the rollers and model the Rapha sale stuff I won't be able to wear for 3 months.

CampyorBust
01-21-2016, 12:28 AM
I am an occasional leg shaver who fully supports not shaving ones legs. Having said that I pulled into a parking spot the other day, I was so offended by what I saw before me that I had to document it and share it wif y'all...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/gorilla_legs_zps2q2wolno.jpg

Dare I suggest we need to establish some boundaries...

Smooth marble statue like legs - bueno (as long as you ride)
Stuble - ok
Longish stuble - tolerable
Weavable gorilla legs - verboten!

oldpotatoe
01-21-2016, 06:11 AM
sram parts are garbage.

Clinchers are for nancys.

FIFY->:D:rolleyes:

choke
01-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Vincenzo Nibali's present for Peter Sagan at the start of the 4th stage....(video)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BA0DdJfwUpw/

Tony T
01-21-2016, 06:16 PM
I am an occasional leg shaver who fully supports not shaving ones legs. Having said that I pulled into a parking spot the other day, I was so offended by what I saw before me that I had to document it and share it wif y'all...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/gorilla_legs_zps2q2wolno.jpg

Dare I suggest we need to establish some boundaries...

Smooth marble statue like legs - bueno (as long as you ride)
Stuble - ok
Longish stuble - tolerable
Weavable gorilla legs - verboten!

Not sure what you're looking at, but her legs look smoooooth to me.

….oh, you're looking at the legs in front ;)

brockd15
01-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Love this thread! I find it endlessly amusing the thought of grown men getting worked up on the internet over leg shaving for bike riders! :hello:

For some weird reason every time one of these leg shaving threads comes up I think of this post. The pride in the hairy legs! But, alas, this attitude seems to have changed:

Sometimes I feel insecure about my hairy legs. I mean, I've made the decision to not shave in general, and I'm at peace with that... but our pride can get caught off guard sometimes, and we get all weird about stuff. Especially us competitive A-type bike racing pricks.

But then I remember the reason I don't shave: to pile shame upon my enemies. When I crush their hopes and dreams with hairy legs, and as they weep and marvel to each other, saying "...and his legs were as woolly as an Alpine ibex in winter!" my pride will be satisfied again.

The solution to all insecurity is to crush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkSFIWzi7aA

Hmmmmm. Still not shaving my legs.

Not till someone is paying me to.

Oh, and this one:

shaved legs but full on brawny dude beard. Come one fellows, what are we doing here?

Dead Man
01-21-2016, 06:33 PM
Love this thread! I find it endlessly amusing the thought of grown men getting worked up on the internet over leg shaving for bike riders! :hello:

For some weird reason every time one of these leg shaving threads comes up I think of this post. The pride in the hairy legs! But, alas, this attitude seems to have changed

It's true.

Specialized wind-tunnel tests, man. Once there was science behind it, there just wasn't any going back.

Cherry Pie 2015... racing solo... all my boys bitched out. I knew if I was going to win it, I'd be looking at a 20 mile solo break on descent to the flats. I shaved. I shaved, and I discovered I LIKED clean guns.

No shame.

Conan was sheered too.

Tony T
01-21-2016, 06:34 PM

For some weird reason every time one of these leg shaving threads comes up I think of this post. The pride in the hairy legs! But, alas, this attitude seems to have changed:

It's a "young guy" thing.
The same guy that shaves his chest (http://www.howtonono.com/men_chest.html) and sprays Axe Body Spray on his wrists (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-q1IlHah0Q)

(…running for cover :))

Dead Man
01-21-2016, 06:35 PM
That was a pretty epic post though.. thanks for bringing that one back. :beer:

brockd15
01-21-2016, 06:41 PM
It's true.

Specialized wind-tunnel tests, man. Once there was science behind it, there just wasn't any going back.

Cherry Pie 2015... racing solo... all my boys bitched out. I knew if I was going to win it, I'd be looking at a 20 mile solo break on descent to the flats. I shaved. I shaved, and I discovered I LIKED clean guns.

No shame.

Conan was sheered too.

I hear ya...I've done both and don't care what anyone else does.
Just sticks in my head for some reason.

Tony
01-21-2016, 07:10 PM
My wife likes shaved legs, really likes them. Plus, I find myself curiously aroused when shaving my guns ;) Its a win win!

fiamme red
01-21-2016, 07:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/P7ypg0F.png

Tony T
01-21-2016, 07:32 PM
Peter Sagan's not shaven yet (http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/road/peter-sagans-not-shaven-yet_393232)

fiamme red
01-21-2016, 07:46 PM
As oldpotatoe probably knows, this is the actual reason professional cyclists shave their legs.

The rest of us, myself included, do it for aesthetics.

Someone said I sound creepy, DILLIGAF?

Shave your damn guns. Mine are covered in tattoos and would look extra ridiculous with a forest.I've often heard of "guns" used for biceps, never for legs.

zmudshark
01-21-2016, 07:59 PM
gross
says the tall, smooth, sexy Texan.

Dead Man
01-21-2016, 08:01 PM
I've often heard of "guns" used for biceps, never for legs.

I'm partial to CLEAN your guns.

Dead Man
01-21-2016, 08:02 PM
says the tall, smooth, sexy Texan.

My wife likes shaved legs, really likes them. Plus, I find myself curiously aroused when shaving my guns ;) Its a win win!

This thread is starting to go to some odd places

zmudshark
01-21-2016, 08:30 PM
This thread is starting to go to some odd placesI'm sorry, do you mean that JasonM is not a tall, smooth (it would seem), sexy Texan?

I know JasonM, he is at least 3/4's of that, and therefore that is a mostly true statement.

I give it three bananas

:banana::banana::banana:

oldpotatoe
01-22-2016, 05:54 AM
This thread is starting to go to some odd places

There are more men in Boulder that shave their legs, than women...:D

soulspinner
01-22-2016, 08:19 AM
There are more men in Boulder that shave their legs, than women...:D

:beer:

Mark McM
01-22-2016, 09:34 AM
It's true.

But is it good science? Chester Kyle tested shaved legs in a wind tunnel many years ago, and he didn't find differences anywhere near the magnitude that Specialized found. This isn't the first time that the Specialized wind tunnel has found things not reproduced in other wind tunnels.

unterhausen
01-22-2016, 09:43 AM
I decided to try KT tape for my knee a couple of years ago, so I shaved my legs. Forgot how much I liked it. It's not even that much work, but when my knee got better, I stopped. I remember as a racer using shaved legs as an easy indicator that you didn't want to be anywhere near someone in a pack, I think it probably still works that way for the most part

Dead Man
01-22-2016, 10:53 AM
But is it good science?

That I can't tell you. But I can tell you that I like to shave, now.

ultraman6970
01-22-2016, 02:21 PM
I started that trend like 30 years ago when I stopped racing :p

aramis
01-23-2016, 12:43 AM
But is it good science? Chester Kyle tested shaved legs in a wind tunnel many years ago, and he didn't find differences anywhere near the magnitude that Specialized found. This isn't the first time that the Specialized wind tunnel has found things not reproduced in other wind tunnels.

I thought he did it with a dummy and fake hair or something silly. Specialized did it wit several different people and actually had them shave.

My wife hates my shaved legs but it does feel soooo nice.

Mark McM
01-25-2016, 09:59 AM
I thought he did it with a dummy and fake hair or something silly. Specialized did it wit several different people and actually had them shave.

My wife hates my shaved legs but it does feel soooo nice.

Hmmm... I'm not so sure that a dummy with fake hair is necessarily "silly". Trying to test bicycle aerodrag with humans on the bike is notoriously difficult due to unrepeatability (i.e, it is hard to get the humans to duplicate their positions exactly). Given the relatively small affect of hair, I wonder if the measured differences are completely within the error bands.

jmoore
01-25-2016, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry, do you mean that JasonM is not a tall, smooth (it would seem), sexy Texan?

I know JasonM, he is at least 3/4's of that, and therefore that is a mostly true statement.

I give it three bananas

:banana::banana::banana:
Zmud knows

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk