PDA

View Full Version : US gets only 2 slots in Rio Olympics RR and TT

MattTuck
01-18-2016, 08:06 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/rio-olympic-mens-athlete-quotas-announced_393133

Athlete quotas for the Rio Olympics, announced by the UCI on Monday, specify that the United States has been allocated only two starters in the menç—´ Olympics road race and time trial.

Allocations are determined by the UCIç—´ nations ranking, which is based on results from the 2015 calendar year in the UCI WorldTour, UCI Africa Tour, UCI America Tour, UCI Asia Tour, UCI Europe Tour and UCI Oceania Tour. Countries at the top of either the WorldTour or their continental ranking Italy, Colombia, Spain, Great Britain, and Belgium will have up to five riders in the menç—´ road race.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/rio-olympic-mens-athlete-quotas-announced_393133#DWS4zpO4R7J86MtB.99

I am curious who its going to be. Phinney? TJ?

Bruce K
01-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Sounds about right

BK

Anarchist
01-18-2016, 08:35 PM
Based on what we know of conditions and readiness in Rio, the ones not going may be the lucky ones.

jlwdm
01-18-2016, 08:41 PM
No one from US who would be a RR contender.

Jeff

spartanKid
01-18-2016, 09:22 PM
Based on what we know of conditions and readiness in Rio, the ones not going may be the lucky ones.

Isn't this always talked about every olympics/world cup? Host city is X billions of dollars over budget and N months behind!

firerescuefin
01-18-2016, 09:23 PM
Isn't this always talked about every olympics/world cup? Host city is X billions of dollars over budget and N months behind!

Think he's referring to basic sanitation, clean water, sewage, etc.

MattTuck
01-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Think he's referring to basic sanitation, clean water, sewage, etc.

that new disease that is causing microcephalic babies.... :eek:

aaronf
01-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Interesting to note that Iran has three slots for the RR.

Anarchist
01-18-2016, 10:13 PM
that new disease that is causing microcephalic babies.... :eek:

Zika, a Dengue like disease.

ultraman6970
01-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Wonder if the designated ones will say no.

Elefantino
01-19-2016, 12:22 AM
Wonder if the designated ones will say no.
If things don't improve and Rio is one big festering, diseased sewer it will eventually be a "King Ralph" situation where the lowliest professionals in the US will be asked, or begged, to go.

Anarchist
01-19-2016, 12:35 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/19/brazil-downplays-threat-from-zika-virus-in-run-up-to-carnival-and-rio-olympics

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jan/15/2016-olympics-rio-games-cuts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/brazil/12096137/Doctors-union-in-Rio-has-warned-that-Olympic-visitors-will-not-get-medical-attention-if-they-fall-sick-during-2016-games.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-28632884

https://swimswam.com/water-pollution-still-a-concern-for-rio-2016s-open-water-swimming-site/

FlashUNC
01-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Didn't they just delay the first test event for the velodrome?

Not like the games are six months away or anything.

MattTuck
01-19-2016, 08:06 AM

Yeah, this has been touched on previously in the thread on the Boston olympic bid. But what the recent games have demonstrated, and in particular these games in Rio, is how much of a burden hosting the Olympics are for a city. I have some sympathy for the people of Rio, as they're the ones that will pay in the end, but it is such a perverse system to see citizens saddled with the debt of past olympics while the IOC makes billions off of sponsorships.

Unless the IOC wants to deal only with Gulf states and/or dictatorships in the future, I think a revenue sharing model is going to be required to entice cities into hosting games.

bart998
01-20-2016, 10:21 AM
I think the IOC should build a permanent facility... like maybe in Greece... and re-use it for each Olympics.

ultraman6970
01-20-2016, 11:38 AM
The biggest problems with Olympic games is that the infrastructure used wont be used no more, for example in barcelona the olympic villa was sold to whoever needed a flat. So now people is living in those buildings, the other thing is that they built that with the purpose of being sold later on and that was quite smart, in other olympic games nothing is sold or even kept for use of everybody.

Honestly doubt athlete stars in any sport will show up in rio, if you dont get the shiaaaTzzzz you are in risk of getting a son with mental problems if a moskito bites you. No hot garotta will make them go.

FlashUNC
01-20-2016, 11:45 AM
I think the IOC should build a permanent facility... like maybe in Greece... and re-use it for each Olympics.

Why spend money on it when they can scam cities to pay for it themselves?

Though I think that particular racket might be coming to an end.

Anarchist
01-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Not cycling, but the Olympics, I question if I will watch any of it this year ...

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/olympics/former-world-sailing-ceo-says-he-was-fired-for-trying-to-move-rio-olympics-event-i-was-told-to-gag-myself-on-the-subject

CEO of world sailing fired by Olympic committee for suggesting the venue may not be "ideal". Lovely.

ultraman6970
01-27-2016, 11:02 AM
This games looks like are going to be a disaster, even A/C is being cut off too.

The best delegations can do is to set the teams in hotels and with a bunch of moskito repellents around.

homagesilkhope
01-27-2016, 11:45 AM

Test program likely a foreign construct. Not to worry: "Rio organizers say Brazilians do everything at the last minute."

bikinchris
01-27-2016, 07:03 PM
Yeah, this has been touched on previously in the thread on the Boston olympic bid. But what the recent games have demonstrated, and in particular these games in Rio, is how much of a burden hosting the Olympics are for a city. I have some sympathy for the people of Rio, as they're the ones that will pay in the end, but it is such a perverse system to see citizens saddled with the debt of past olympics while the IOC makes billions off of sponsorships.

Unless the IOC wants to deal only with Gulf states and/or dictatorships in the future, I think a revenue sharing model is going to be required to entice cities into hosting games.

Even that is going badly. The oil states have been riding high on expensive oil and their budgets need $110 a barrel oil to pay for it. Oil at less than $30 is hurting them also.

MattTuck
04-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Just saw a report that said only 50% of the tickets have been sold, with the Olympics just a few months away. Brazil is in a political and economic crisis, possibly a health crisis as well.

guido
04-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Discounts to follow...

MattTuck
04-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Discounts to follow...

They were talking about the government buying all the tickets and giving them away to public schools... it is pretty dire, it seems.

guido
04-05-2016, 02:52 PM
They were talking about the government buying all the tickets and giving them away to public schools... it is pretty dire, it seems.

That is one way to make the crowd shots pretty...

Spdntrxi
04-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Brazil never should have been awarded them in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
04-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Yup, but the idea of having olympic games was and is good to inject money in the economy at least for a month or two, the biggest problem I see is that politically speaking brazil is basically dead, who knows when this woman that is the president will stay there. And those things scare people, brazilians dont have money to spend in tickets and sure they never felt compromised with the event either, as a result now the gvmt is giving away tickets, cool for flippers tho.

Would had been cool to see the olympics again here in the US. Heard DC wanted them but dont see that happening ever, would be nice to see a velodrome and a athletic arena here in the area tho.

Llewellyn
04-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Yup, but the idea of having olympic games was and is good to inject money in the economy at least for a month or two....

Going from memory here but an analysis of the Sydney games found that even though the games themselves turned a profit (at least according to the government), for businesses they found that the only ones to benefit were within a kilometre or so of the main Opera House area. Outside of that businesses got little or no benefit.

ultraman6970
04-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Thats an interesting report. The only thing Brazilians need is to have some of those crazy ones making boom boom in some of the stadiums.

verticaldoug
04-06-2016, 03:54 AM
Brazil never should have been awarded them in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ibovespa hit an all time high on 5/29/2008. Olympics were awarded 6/4/2008.

peanutgallery
04-06-2016, 05:37 AM
The 96 games did transform the ATL

oldpotatoe
04-06-2016, 05:42 AM
Going from memory here but an analysis of the Sydney games found that even though the games themselves turned a profit (at least according to the government), for businesses they found that the only ones to benefit were within a kilometre or so of the main Opera House area. Outside of that businesses got little or no benefit.

Former olympic venues..future slums.

Llewellyn
04-06-2016, 06:54 AM
Former olympic venues..future slums.

It doesn't take much googling to find some very depressing pictures of what's happened to a lot of past Olympic venues.

Formulasaab
04-06-2016, 06:59 AM
Based on comments I've heard or read from previous Olympians, I'm pretty sure that the only thing the athletes use the water for is bathing. No one would risk drinking the water no matter where the event was located.

You have to send Phinney. He could win the TT. The RR probably has too much climbing in it for him. If he could be in the lead or chasing group over the last climb though... He's ridden the peloton off his wheel in a descent before.

oldpotatoe
04-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Based on comments I've heard or read from previous Olympians, I'm pretty sure that the only thing the athletes use the water for is bathing. No one would risk drinking the water no matter where the event was located.

You have to send Phinney. He could win the TT. The RR probably has too much climbing in it for him. If he could be in the lead or chasing group over the last climb though... He's ridden the peleton off his wheel in a descent before.

AAAARRRRRGGGG

PelOton.....:D:no:

J.Greene
04-06-2016, 10:14 AM
Honestly doubt athlete stars in any sport will show up in rio, if you dont get the shiaaaTzzzz you are in risk of getting a son with mental problems if a moskito bites you. No hot garotta will make them go.

Really? You think that athletes who are known to dope themselves to the gills even it shortens their live are afraid of a mosquito?

The Olympic sailors who have been practicing in rio in the bacteria filled water may complain, but they have been there for a year.

Formulasaab
04-06-2016, 10:37 AM
AAAARRRRRGGGG

PelOton.....:D:no:

There I fixed it. (check the reason for editing)

cachagua
04-06-2016, 12:16 PM
AAAARRRRRGGGG... PelOton...

Wait, does spelling count around here? If so, y'all are going to keep me very, very busy...

Formulasaab
04-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Wait, does spelling count around here? If so, y'all are going to keep me very, very busy...

Only for cycling specific terminology, ATMO. :cool: