PDA

View Full Version : So, when will be calling shorts: longs?

Black Dog
01-18-2016, 05:26 PM
With tall socks and "shorts" like these there will only be a sliver of leg showing soon. Now get off my lawn. ;)

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2016/01/18/2/sptdw014_670.jpg

I miss this:

https://roadsofstone.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/sean-yates-wears-yellow-1994-tour-de-france.jpg

djg21
01-18-2016, 05:59 PM
I don't get long socks. I thought that it was just an Armstrong thing, but then it seems to have been adopted by the whole peloton.

MesiJezi
01-18-2016, 06:02 PM
I like mine somewhere in between. I've been known to wear any length or color that's clean and handy though.

*edit* that goes for shorts AND socks.

Bruce K
01-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Long socks are also a cyclocross thing

Cold and mud etc

BK

Lovetoclimb
01-18-2016, 06:35 PM
For those of us with long legs and small calves, the long sock trend is great. It draws the attention up somewhat away from the painfully skinny ankles and shins. As for the long shorts thing, that needs to just go away completely. Trying to follow the Voeckler standard over here!

djg21
01-18-2016, 06:55 PM
For those of us with long legs and small calves, the long sock trend is great. It draws the attention up somewhat away from the painfully skinny ankles and shins. As for the long shorts thing, that needs to just go away completely. Trying to follow the Voeckler standard over here!

Except when you are off your bike and wearing casual shorts and sandals. Then you have white ankles and a tan line 8" up your leg. I like longer shorts though, especially with the compression fabrics.

paulh
01-18-2016, 07:02 PM
Lotta' that going around.

Tickdoc
01-18-2016, 07:38 PM
just had the pleasure of a choice of bib length with our clubs newest kit order. (Hincapie) Long were way too long for me, shorts were just right.

Macadamia
01-18-2016, 08:03 PM
long socks hide when i hit my chain, also keep crap from getting in them

OP do you also miss these?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/5a/b2/f1/5ab2f1aa300a8d1ce7f5c83b43a887bd.jpg

Black Dog
01-18-2016, 10:01 PM
long socks hide when i hit my chain, also keep crap from getting in them

OP do you also miss these?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/5a/b2/f1/5ab2f1aa300a8d1ce7f5c83b43a887bd.jpg

Nah, too long and baggy. I will stick with my tried and true Daisy Duke's. ;)

sandyrs
01-19-2016, 05:55 AM
Except when you are off your bike and wearing casual shorts and sandals. Then you have white ankles and a tan line 8" up your leg. I like longer shorts though, especially with the compression fabrics.

Do you also wear arm warmers year round in case you decide to wear a t-shirt? :)

I think long socks (6" cuff) look better on most riders except those with very short legs. And at 6'5", I do not have very short legs. I am grateful for the long sock trend.

oldpotatoe
01-19-2016, 06:01 AM

Doh!!Like the facebook one...:D

JAllen
01-19-2016, 10:50 AM
I prefer short socks and shorts that are just long enough that I don't get an indecent exposure charge. The world needs to bear witness to as much leg as possible... Whether they like it or not.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

djg21
01-19-2016, 11:08 AM
Do you also wear arm warmers year round in case you decide to wear a t-shirt? :)

I think long socks (6" cuff) look better on most riders except those with very short legs. And at 6'5", I do not have very short legs. I am grateful for the long sock trend.

I never wear wife-beater Ts and my upper arms are covered with sleeves most of the time when wearing street clothes. The casual shorts I wear in the summer pretty much cover my tan lines too.

johnniecakes
01-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Socks, we don't need stinkin socks. In warmer weather I leave the socks in the drawer

djg21
01-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Socks, we don't need stinkin socks. In warmer weather I leave the socks in the drawer

I was about to say that the only thing I dislike more than long socks is no socks.

I just hate the sticky feel and my shoes quickly begin to stink. I also want my ankle bones covered (granted marginally) in the event of a crash in which I slide across the pavement.

David Tollefson
01-19-2016, 11:21 AM

I raced for years sockless, flouting the rule which said they were required equipment. Never got called on it, and to this day I prefer to ride that way. Problem is it gets chilly here a good 8 months of the year.

JAllen
01-19-2016, 11:24 AM
My feet are getting clammy and I'm beginning to have a mild panic attack just thinking about this...

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

azrider
01-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Man......leave it up to Tri-athletes would ya.

First there was sleeveless jerseys with arm warmers.

NOW there is no socks with calf compression. :help:

http://www.zensah.com/banner_mens_cycling.jpg

Dead Man
01-19-2016, 11:51 AM
Not too short, not too long.. Mid-thigh. Like em mid thigh.

And socks... Not too short, not too high... Mid ankle! C'mon!

Moderation!

The political divide in this country deepens.

stien
01-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Well longer shorts are more aero. And some longer socks can be more aero than just leg. So there you have it.

Maybe I'll just race in a full body skinsuit.

Dead Man
01-19-2016, 12:04 PM
How are longer shorts more aero?

Dead Man
01-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Assuming clean guns.

stien
01-19-2016, 12:10 PM
How are longer shorts more aero?

Skinsuit is more slippery than skin. Been proven. I tend to look at triathlete tech and bring it over to road when I can.

Red Tornado
01-19-2016, 12:13 PM
I raced for years sockless, flouting the rule which said they were required equipment. Never got called on it, and to this day I prefer to ride that way. Problem is it gets chilly here a good 8 months of the year.

Back in the day I used to ride dirt w/no socks. Did it in July-Aug-Sept when it was hottest. Also rode w/sleeveless jerseys during same time period. I don't know if it actually helped me stay cooler, but it seemed like it did. Never could get used to the feeling of bare feet in cycling shoes. Looking back, seems kind of gross now.

Red Tornado
01-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Man......leave it up to Tri-athletes would ya.

First there was sleeveless jerseys with arm warmers.

NOW there is no socks with calf compression. :help:

http://www.zensah.com/banner_mens_cycling.jpg

Bare skin showing from the upper bicep area to top of shoulder. Never understood that one. But then again, it's seems to be a tri thing.....

PFSLABD
01-19-2016, 12:18 PM
My doctor told me to wear compression socks, but I only wear them in the winter. They sure keep my calves warm on these winter rides. They are too hot to wear during the summer and keep me from getting a good tan.

PFSLABD
01-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Bare skin showing from the upper bicep area to top of shoulder. Never understood that one. But then again, it's seems to be a tri thing.....

It shows their muscles.

PFSLABD
01-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Skinsuit is more slippery than skin. Been proven. I tend to look at triathlete tech and bring it over to road when I can.

I've got a skin suit from my racing days, but I don't think it ever made me any faster.

PFSLABD
01-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Well longer shorts are more aero. And some longer socks can be more aero than just leg. So there you have it.

Maybe I'll just race in a full body skinsuit.

Do you think it will help this guy?

http://tubulocity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/fat_cyclist.jpg

Dead Man
01-19-2016, 12:37 PM

That might be true, but skin suit does not long shorts make. 2" of thigh isnt going to make any measurable difference.

livingminimal
01-19-2016, 12:43 PM
That might be true, but skin suit does not long shorts make. 2" of thigh isnt going to make any measurable difference.

And seriously, who the ···· cares if it does? I mean jesus Christ...the cat 3 Tuesday Night Worlds wont be won or lost on shorts vs. skinsuit.

livingminimal
01-19-2016, 12:45 PM

So gross.

Socks should be in the 5" cuff range.

Shorts need to be a good 6"s above the top of the knee.

····'s getting ····ing out of hand.