PDA

View Full Version : Do you nap?

Veloo
01-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Do any of you guys take naps in the middle of the day?
Gotta admit I am in pretty sorry shape right now and I'm sure my energy level would probably get a boost with better conditioning.

Looking back 10 - 15 years ago, I know I did nap in the afternoon after getting back from a ride and having a bite. I wasn't racing but was able to hang in on the group rides.

Whether you're in race condition or not so much, I'm curious to see who else needs a few minutes of lights out to function a bit better and whether you find it needed or not after a ride.

guido
01-18-2016, 09:44 AM
It's wonderful when i can get one, but life is often too jam packed to let me indulge. Sleep and the right carb/protein mix are the best ways to recover from hard efforts...

christian
01-18-2016, 10:01 AM
If I could, a 30 minute nap after every hard ride would be a given. These days, it is nearly impossible to fit in though.

AngryScientist
01-18-2016, 10:06 AM
I'm a huge fan of the powernap.

seems like every study known to man touts the benefits of getting more shut eye. if you can fit it into your schedule, or make it a priority, i think any increased amount of sleep over what most people get is a plus.

Probably in the same boat as most of you folks, but i really dont think i get near enough sleep; but there are only so many hours in a day, and so much to get done, sleep time is the only real place to cut from, so that's what suffers. I'm pretty certain i could take over the world if i could manage to get 8+ hours of sleep/night.

wallymann
01-18-2016, 10:08 AM
naps are wonderful for training/recovery, when i can squeeze them in.

as i understand it, post-workout naps are an essential part of a pro cyclist's training regimen.

oddsaabs
01-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Randonneuring rule #3:
Don't stand when you can sit. Don't sit when you can lay down. Don't just lay down when you can nap.

I'm napping right now!

azrider
01-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Naps have never "stuck" for me. No matter how hard I've tried they just never take.....

marciero
01-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Have been meaning to put a futon reclining chair in my office for god-knows-how-long for this purpose

Seramount
01-18-2016, 10:49 AM
nap...? never.

unless I'm sick.

dave thompson
01-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Siesta? Yep, every day. Plus it's the law here.

Cicli
01-18-2016, 10:59 AM
I have kids.
When they stopped, so did I.
When they leave, I intend to resume.

redir
01-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Just about every day yes. Only takes 5-15 minutes for me and I've been doing it ever since I was a baby, I presume :D

Science has vindicated my 'laziness' and shows that a power nap makes one more productive and healthy. Companies would be wise to encourage their employees to nap some time in the early afternoon but most see it as a stigma because of take one for the team corporate culture.

etu
01-18-2016, 11:04 AM
hard to fit in, but 20min power nap is soooo nice

crashnburn
01-18-2016, 11:15 AM
I try to get in 20-30 mins after noons to reset my brain/body.
When I work from home I try to squeeze it in (unless a wheel/bike build is in progress)

Anything more than that makes me more sleepy!

cdn_bacon
01-18-2016, 11:21 AM
I have kids.

that should be written in stone somewhere. Truer words never spoken.:banana:

jlwdm
01-18-2016, 01:18 PM
I have never taken naps, but it is amazing the number of world leaders and successful people who take an afternoon nap.

Churchill was the first famous napper I knew about. Also, JFK, LBJ and Edison.

Jeff

ofcounsel
01-18-2016, 01:23 PM
I'm not high enough up the workplace totem pole to get away with a nap. Or maybe I'm too high up... Not sure. Maybe it's it's not part of my office workplace culture.

hoonjr
01-18-2016, 01:29 PM
i have kids.
When they stopped, so did i.
When they leave, i intend to resume.

+1

sandyrs
01-18-2016, 01:33 PM
No. After I nap I always feel like garbage, and then I don't sleep well.

Of course I also usually get 8-9 hours of sleep so...

velotrack
01-18-2016, 01:40 PM
If I do, I know I won't be able to sleep later..

Lovic
01-18-2016, 01:47 PM
I always wake up more tired that I was before I napped...

Tickdoc
01-18-2016, 01:54 PM
I have kids.

this

flydhest
01-18-2016, 02:33 PM
I am fortunate to have a big office with a couch. I usually drink a cup of coffee or have an espresso, then lie down and close my eyes. I often but not always doze off. When the caffeine kicks in in 20 minutes, I am ready to go.

dsimon
01-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Uhhhh when ever im afforded the opportunity

fuzzalow
01-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Churchill was the first famous napper I knew about. Also, JFK, LBJ and Edison.

Yes. All famous men renown for their boundless energies, either mentally or otherwise. The secret revealed.

I became a fan of LBJ when first reading his biography "The Path to Power" from Robert Caro's series on LBJ. That series of biographies a lifetime work by Mr. Caro that must span at least 15 years or more in the making. LBJ a fascinating man as both larger than life and with the fatal flaw to match.

I'll toss aside an admittedly wag's remark on JFK: yes napping, but with who?

Nap? Sure, sometimes it only takes a few minutes. To those that believe there is not one waking moment of free time, I'll disagree. That time pressure is non-existent and is a self-imposed symptom of affluent suburban psychosis. Busy, busy, busy. Comfort in freneticism.

tooslow4u
01-18-2016, 03:08 PM
i put my headphones on and close my eyes for 5-10 min while in the office. Helps get through the rest of the day...

john903
01-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Yep, nap time for me after a great ride like today. I rode a 50 miler mellow pace and it is a day off as well for Martin Luther King day. So yes with my work schedule I usually take a 15-20 minute nap I feel better then if I had just had a cup of coffee.

wc1934
01-18-2016, 06:58 PM
This is the first year that I started to nap after a run/ride. In the past I never seemed to have time to nap. This year, maybe because of my age, my body seems to require it. And, they seem to agree with me.

JAllen
01-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Napping is the best! Getting a 30 minute to an hour goes very far in mental, physical, and emotional health.

There's not very many good reasons to not nap. Most reasons given you can rebuttal with "perhaps you're too busy..."

Edit: get that nap in before 5pm! Otherwise you risk having trouble sleeping at night. Unless you intentionally stay up really late.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
01-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Randonneuring rule #3:
Don't stand when you can sit. Don't sit when you can lay down. Don't just lay down when you can nap.

I'm napping right now!

Don't run when you can walk, don't walk when you can ride(in a car).

Naps are great, when g-daughters nap, so do I. Makes long days work. If ya got 45 minutes or so, do it.

zank
01-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Yes, at night between when the baby finally falls asleep until when the middle child wakes up and is anxious to start his day. :help:

tuxbailey
01-19-2016, 12:20 PM
Siesta? Yep, every day. Plus it's the law here.

I miss living in South America.

AngryScientist
01-19-2016, 12:25 PM
i actually recall reading an interview with some pro cyclist a while ago, and it sticks in my head that he mentioned that pros dont like to talk about it much because the general public perception is that people who nap during the day are "lazy", but it's actually part of their training regime and helpful to the pro cyclist.

that has always been enough to justify me sneaking in a little shut eye every now and then - totally PRO move:)

PFSLABD
01-19-2016, 12:29 PM
No now since I'm retired, unless I'm sick.

I used to nap when I worked because I was so tired, having to get up at 3:30 in the morning 5 days a week, and then having to stay awake until 10 or 11 at night, crunching numbers for my job. I refused to work OT so I could train on the bike after work. In any event, I stayed exhausted.

rugbysecondrow
01-19-2016, 12:36 PM
I used to nap on the train ride home. Read for 15 min, nap for 10-15, then I was ready for the rest of the day. When my commute reduced, that is what I missed.

For me, the 10-15 nap is perfect and it improves energy. I never nap in my bed, unless I am sick. Mostly, just a bit of shut-eye while sitting in my chair.

Speaking of which, I just ate a big lunch..........

gdw
01-19-2016, 01:41 PM
I was talking with an old friend who I served with in the military a few weeks ago and the same topic came up. Back then we napped whenever and wherever possible if we had some downtime especially in the field. It's amazing how a few 10-15 minute naps can refresh and keep you functioning under some pretty trying conditions. I wish I still had the free time to nap and the ability to drop off to sleep so easily these days.

CampyorBust
01-19-2016, 10:32 PM
Maybe twice a year, in the rare case I have a beer or two during lunch it is a distinct possibility.