PDA

View Full Version : Another Way OT thread- bath tub refinishing

sjbraun
01-18-2016, 09:00 AM
It must be winter as the conversation veer further and further from cycling. Time for me to add to that trend.
We need to refinish our 70 year old tub. I don't want to to gut and remodel the whole bathroom, the tile work is in great shape and the 40's aesthetic is rather pleasing.
Has anyone had experience with tub refinishing? Are there any approaches that work better than others? I see to options locally, Permaglaze and Glazecote.

As always, your collective wisdom is appreciated.

Steve- who needs a shiny tub (apparently)

Birddog
01-18-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm not familiar with the 2 names you mention, but I have seen this done a few times where the application is some sort of epoxy paint. In one case the owners had to vacate the premises over night and in the other they had to stay away all day. The downside as I see it is that in both cases I saw, they merely masked around the drain flange and overflow escutcheon with out removing them. I viewed it as an expensive short term fix. There are now some franchises that actually reline your tub with a form fit plastic material of some sort. You might look into that too.

eddief
01-18-2016, 09:51 AM
http://save-now.com/grout/instructions-glaze.htm

Think most reglaze pros guarantee for 5 years.

Birddog
01-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Ooops

Mikej
01-18-2016, 09:57 AM
I had it done some time ago, I have since replaced my tub. The refinish lasted about 3 years and after about 10 is was really bad. I would think todays technology might be better, but EPA standards could have made them worse? A tub reline is in the range of $4k-5k, work person had it done, twice.

type2sam
01-18-2016, 10:00 AM
We had this done three times in 2 houses.

In the first house, after about 3 years of abuse (newborns, heavy tub usage) the first application started lifting up. They redid it under warranty.

In the second house, we had it done 3 years ago and it's still going strong (but all the activity is shower-based as everyone is beyond bath age).