PDA

View Full Version : More on the Death of Eugene Cyclist

KevinK
06-02-2006, 12:02 PM
I have received many e-mails regarding the death of Jane Higdon, some from friends who were on the ride with Jane when she was struck and killed by the log truck. This is what appears to have happened. The group of four riders (all very experienced, all very familiar with the road) were heading south on a straight stretch of Territorial Hwy. which is a two lane, shoulder-less rural road south of Eugene. They were approaching a curve in the road when the log truck came up from behind them and attempted to pass them on the straight, moving into the left hand (northbound) lane to pass. Perhaps the driver didn’t realize how fast the cyclists were going, or misjudged the distance to the curve, but the cyclists and the log truck reached the curve at the same time. The log truck pulled back into the right lane and forced the cyclists onto the ragged edge of the roadway. The second cyclist in the line fell, and the third cyclist braked to avoid running over him. Jane was the forth and last cyclist in the line. It is unclear if she clipped the rear wheel of the third cyclist and fell under the wheel of the truck, or if the wheel of the truck struck her while she was still upright, no one saw what happened.

There is no doubt in my mind that it was an accident, but sadly, it also was very avoidable. If the log truck driver was coming up on a slow moving vehicle such as a farm tractor or hay truck, he would have slowed and waited for a good clear stretch of road before passing. I wish he would have given the same consideration to Jane and the other cyclists. If he did, we wouldn’t be mourning the loss of a friend.

Kevin

Louis
06-02-2006, 12:25 PM
If the log truck driver was coming up on a slow moving vehicle such as a farm tractor or hay truck, he would have slowed and waited for a good clear stretch of road before passing. I wish he would have given the same consideration to Jane and the other cyclists

This is a good reason to consider not riding close to the white line. The farther over you are to the right the more likely they are to try to squeeze past you. If you are few feet to the left of the line they have to be more careful when they pass. (Of course, the farther you are to the left you more likely you are to be clipped by an external mirror or just plain run over by the driver who never even sees you.)

Pick your poison. It's a no-win situation for the cyclist...

Louis

BumbleBeeDave
06-02-2006, 12:51 PM
. . . I see on almost every ride now. The overtaking car driver just can't wait a few second for a safe stretch of road to pass me (or us), so they pull out and pass no matter where we are--blind hill, blind curve, double yellow line. It doesn't matter. Meanwhile, I'm riding along knowing that if another car suddenly pops around that curve or over that hill, the car driver is going to instinctively swerve right--right into me. When the car is something with horsepower it's not such an issue--they get by you quick. But when it's a lumbering, underpowered vehicle like this logging truck it can be very dangerous.

Sad to say, in all probability the driver will not be held responsible, even though if this account is true he clearly was negligent in his selection of where and when to pass.

BBD

Kevan
06-02-2006, 01:07 PM
drivers who wish to teach us a lesson. I know it all to well... First, they lay on the horn good and plenty, up close and personal. Then, rather than "risking" driving over the dividing line, even an insy bit on straight aways, they hold their line, pratically side-swiping me as if to say, " Here's what I think of you cyclist types who hog up the roads on the weekends and ride 2 abreast and slow my progress. Get on the sidewalk, where you belong!"

Yesterday this happened on a small stretch of straight pavement where I "dared" to ride into the road for a bit so as to avoid the misguided spray of some built-in lawn sprinklers dousing the shoulder. Nope, he wanted me wet because he's a car and I'm sh*t.

Flipping the bird would only prove his point, so I jesture why.

toaster
06-02-2006, 11:27 PM
This is so tragic, so sad. My condolences to all her friends and loved ones.

You know, I've read the California Vehicle code many times for validation of my belief that the law was written in the interest of safety first rather than for right of way. The fact is that selfishness rules the human condition and we interpret the law to say who's right and who's wrong. How many times have we seen the motorist who passes before a hill, a curve, or a right turn even when any reasonable person could judge the pass as unsafe. A safe pass requires patience and motorists have precious little for the cyclist. The automobile culture believes the road is theirs, and why shouldn't they? The roads are painted with lines that accept their size within the margins, the speed limits match their available power and a single white line next to the shoulder fits a bicycle much more appropriately and seems to be meant for a rider.

A shoulder is not a bike lane. Bikes move in the same direction as traffic. Bikes are traffic. A bike is not a vehicle (in most states) but the rider is bound by the same responsibilities and rights as motorists. Sidewalks are for walking not bikes. I could go on with more truths and common misconceptions but we all know them. However, put a human being behind the wheel competing with other motorized vehicles and the rare but slow moving bicycle is simply an annoying obstacle to pass and not get stuck behind.

Doesn't that make perfect sense? We simply get in other people's way and are an obstacle on the way to their destination.