PDA

View Full Version : Soma ES vs Soma San Marcos vs Gunnar Sport

type2sam
01-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new steel all-rounder frame with a sport-touring geometry. Something like my old steel Trek 460, but taller (I'm 6'4" - 95 PBH). With my Trek (25.5"/65cm), I'm showing more stem than I want to and can only go up to 28c tires. I'd like to have room for 32c tires (38 would be even nicer), and be capable of mixed terrain riding (road, jeep trails, gravel). I typically run with zero saddle to bar drop as anything lower causes weight on the hands discomfort.

Certainly the Gunnar Sport looks like a winner as I can get that in a 66cm, however the frameset cost is double that of the San Marcos or ES. The double top tube of the San Marcos doesn't bother me, nor does the threaded stem.

The stack of the Sport and the San Marcos are 1mm diff, the reach of the San Marcos is shorter (382 vs 396) but still equivalent to my Trek 460. The ES is longer and shorter than both. An ETT between 595 and 605 seems to fit me best (confirmed with the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator).

Anyone done this compare before or care to share riding impressions?

I'm also searching around for used Gunnars, but they appear to be hard to find in my size.

Cicli
01-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Years ago I had a Smoothie. It was a good bike that rode well.

eddief
01-17-2016, 05:00 PM
all those other variables are adjustable with saddle, stem, steerer length, etc.

They are all decent steel. With fatty tires inflated to not too hard, I'd guess you'd never know the difference.

jtakeda
01-17-2016, 05:30 PM
The only thing I can add is a friend of mine had a San Marcos and likes it but says it's a slug.

Really slow but well made

bigbill
01-17-2016, 06:21 PM
I commuted in Hawaii on a Smoothie ES. With the IRD unicrown fork and fenders, I could clear a fat 25, limited by the fork/fender. I tried a 28 which would barely clear, but anything on it and it would rub. No fenders was no problem for a 28. The rear had a 28 with fenders but could have gone bigger. Too bad you don't need a 60 because I've got one NIB.

type2sam
01-17-2016, 06:32 PM
I commuted in Hawaii on a Smoothie ES. With the IRD unicrown fork and fenders, I could clear a fat 25, limited by the fork/fender. I tried a 28 which would barely clear, but anything on it and it would rub. No fenders was no problem for a 28. The rear had a 28 with fenders but could have gone bigger. Too bad you don't need a 60 because I've got one NIB.

I wish I fit on a 60. So much more selection and the potential to actually test ride one :)

guido
01-17-2016, 07:16 PM
I'm 6'1". I like Soma bikes quite a bit. decent quality nice value.

I had a SanMarcos 59cm. It rode nicely (if a bit heavy due to the dual top tube) but the TT was too short for me. I had Tektro 559 brakes on it that even with Koolstop Salmon pads always seemed to be a bit lacking. I hear the the mid reach VO are the best in class... 32mm tires with fenders was the max clearance.

I currently have a DoubleCross 62cm that is my main 700c bike on the road for rando or dirt road riding. It has a slightly longer top tube, one degree more slack angles than the ES, but more tire clearance and takes canti brakes. I have the Paul Minimoto brakes on it which have great power and modulation. 38mm tires with fenders.

I also have a Smoothie 62cm I use on the trainer but it doesn't really have clearance for the tires I need for MA roads.

I also have a GR which is my first choice of all of them but since you didn't ask about 650B...

rcnute
01-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Gunnar is worth the money over the Somas.

Ryan

guido
01-17-2016, 07:36 PM
Gunnar is worth the money over the Somas.

Ryan

I've only ridden one Gunnar. I wasn't convinced...

nalax
01-17-2016, 08:02 PM
I've had two Gunnar's and a Soma, all mtb and all were fine frames. I would throw another into this mix. Black Mountain Cycles road. I've heard of people riding 35's in this frame but that likely depends on the rim/tire combination. Mike Varley might still have some 59 or 62 frames on sale. I have a Black Mtn cross frame and it's a well designed and great riding frame.

mtb_frk
01-17-2016, 08:03 PM
I just got my wolverine built up but have only ridden it a couple times now. I am running big mountain bike tires on it, and must say it rides really nice. I rode it yesterday with my mtb nokians because all the roads around here ice and really enjoyed the ride.

commonguy001
01-17-2016, 08:20 PM
I've had two Gunnar's and a Soma, all mtb and all were fine frames. I would throw another into this mix. Black Mountain Cycles road. I've heard of people riding 35's in this frame but that likely depends on the rim/tire combination. Mike Varley might still have some 59 or 62 frames on sale. I have a Black Mtn cross frame and it's a well designed and great riding frame.

He is clearing out the roads and still shows 5 62s in orange and three in blue. They'll fit a 32 with lots of room and the ride is excellent.
I'd take a serious look at them

MagicHour
01-17-2016, 09:08 PM
New batch of frames coming in late February. Mike tweaked the original size range, as well, 1 or 2 sizes added. Preordered a road frame myself.
More info here:
http://www.blackmtncycles.com/2015/10/road-frame-changes-and-surprise.html

kevinvc
01-17-2016, 09:14 PM
I have a Soma ES and it has taken everything I've thrown at it. It's done fine on fast club rides, multiple century rides, dirt and gravel fire roads, and year-round commuting. I've got 32 tires, fenders and a rear rack on it now and its a great winter commuter. I plan on doing some touring and possibly bike camping this summer and have no doubt it will handle it with aplomb.

I can't speak about the other brands and have heard good things about them. All I can say is that my Soma has been fantastic at a very reasonable price and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

CMiller
01-18-2016, 12:51 AM
I've had a few Gunnars and a few Somas. The Gunnars are usually a tiny bit lighter, and a bit nicer ride.

I've also had a Black Mountain Cycles Road which was truly fantastic, heavier than my Gunnar Sport but a great intuitive and comfortable ride. I'd pay whatever it is extra over the Soma if it comes in a size you can handle.

type2sam
01-18-2016, 04:02 AM
He is clearing out the roads and still shows 5 62s in orange and three in blue. They'll fit a 32 with lots of room and the ride is excellent.
I'd take a serious look at them

Definitely been intrigued by the BMC Road, but stack is even less than my Trek, so this bike won't solve that problem.

Ken Robb
01-18-2016, 11:04 AM
I have a Rivendell Allrounder that is 63x60TT. I run 700x37 tires under full fenders. It has eyelets for racks and fenders. If you don't want to pay for a custom Riv (with Joe Bell paint) the Atlantis is very much like my bike. If you are near San Diego you can try mine.

I had a Waterford RS 11 that was a wonderful ride but I never ran tires bigger that 700x28 on it. I don't think 700x32 would have fit. The Gunnar Road Sport would be very similar to the RS 11.

I wonder about some of the comments comparing weight/speed/ride among various models: do the builders use different gauge/butts on tubing for different sizes? Assuming that a builder wanted to simplify inventory control by using the same tubes for all sizes the smaller sizes might feel over-built, heavy, sluggish to prevent bigger sizes from being too flexible.

Richard Schwinn gave me a personal tour of Waterford/Gunnar factory and I saw a BIG supply of many kinds of tubes. The first step in their frame building is picking all the appropriate tubes from inventory for a given frame and putting them into a long narrow box. The box goes into the welding/brazing area where construction begins. I think this process ensures that all sizes built by them conform closely to their design parameters.

I haven't toured the other factories so I don't know what they do. :D

Buzz Killington
01-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Rivendell has a demo complete 63cm San Marcos on their site for sale:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/wsf-159.htm

jason7878
07-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread - but I had similar questions. I have a Soma ES that I'm happy with - but it's my first road bike that's fit (I'm 6'7" and have a 64cm) - so I'm wondering if I'm really missing out - plus I just like contemplating what my next bike "could" be.

If I built up a Gunnar Sport - I'm wondering if I'd be a bit more comfortable on it seeing how its geometry is more relaxed - but other than that - would I notice that much difference in how it rides/handles all other factors/parts/wheels being the same?

ColonelJLloyd
07-19-2016, 04:33 PM
I've had several Soma bikes with the Prestige tubing. I thought the designs were really good, but on each I always thought to myself, "I really would have been happy to pay a $100-200 premium if Soma would have spec'd lighter tubing".

That said, at your size, the Prestige might be just right. I've never owned a Gunnar, so I can't compare.

eddief
07-19-2016, 06:31 PM
go as big and fat and soft as you dare. that might delay having to buy the uncertainty of a new bike.