PDA

View Full Version : Tour Down Under

oldpotatoe
01-17-2016, 06:40 AM
Isn't it a UCI race? No disc brakes(ahh what a shame-:p)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-down-under-new-bikes-and-equipment-in-the-peloton-gallery

Talked to a shimano outside guy Saturday. Discs aren't a done deal at all..yes for UCI but teams are being 'cautious'...

ultraman6970
01-17-2016, 07:16 AM
IMO at least in the big stage races and cobblestones classics is not going to happen for a very long time. Always sponsors can press teams tho.

Lovetoclimb
01-17-2016, 07:17 AM
Those Cervelos may be the fugliest bikes I have ever seen. In general most of the current crop of mass market production bikes are not attractive to me, but those take it to the next level of awful!

rustychisel
01-17-2016, 07:37 AM
Yep, no disco brakes here.

Pete, the TDU comes so early in the season that many of the teams bring and use their 2015 bikes as new equipment hasn't yet been issued. Some have new stuff, but it often seems a scramble to get new strip and livery to riders, also.

Anyway, here's some quick snaps from tonight

1. Annette Edmondson hits the line in the Women's UCI Tour.
2. Bianchi bikes on the Lotto car. These mofo's effin' gleamed, I mean gleamed like shiny bright. Best in show.
3. Caleb Ewan hits the front 25 metres from the line, takes out the opening crit. Orica/Green Edge sprinter, remember the name. He's an itty bitty little thing but he gets damn low on the bike and his power ~ weight must be amazing. I saw his claimed stats show 61kg.

See pix here: https://rustyalex.wordpress.com/2016/01/17/tdu16-pix/

https://rustyalex.wordpress.com/2016/01/17/tdu16-pix/

ptourkin
01-17-2016, 09:35 AM
IMO at least in the big stage races and cobblestones classics is not going to happen for a very long time. Always sponsors can press teams tho.

Not sure what you mean. It's a done deal. You are going to see them tested in all of those races in 2016.

Cicli
01-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Not sure what you mean. It's a done deal. You are going to see them tested in all of those races in 2016.

Done deal? Dosent look like it looking at the TDU photos.
Maybe done for later?

firerescuefin
01-17-2016, 09:49 AM

I'd agree that it's a done deal...as that you will see them there. Not so sure if you will see a favorite as an early adopter though. (likely not based on interviews)

ptourkin
01-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Done deal? Dosent look like it looking at the TDU photos.
Maybe done for later?

As has been pointed out, many teams are not on full 2016 equipment yet and this year, the TdU doesn't look like a priority on the world tour. There are more stars at San Luis right now.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/worldtour-level-tour-down-under-lacks-star-power_393029

Cicli
01-17-2016, 11:33 AM
As has been pointed out, many teams are not on full 2016 equipment yet and this year, the TdU doesn't look like a priority on the world tour. There are more stars at San Luis right now.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/worldtour-level-tour-down-under-lacks-star-power_393029

I would have figured they would test the new stuff on the small guns.

ultraman6970
01-17-2016, 11:47 AM
+1 with the previous poster.

There are some classic races where if the rider gets a flat, lose a wheel in the wrong moment or some other crap going on with the wheels then the race is lost right there. Not that discs dont work but since disc is still not a thing that is standard for all the brands, dont think teams might risk a good result in a race to please one sponsor (the group one).

The argument of accident cuts and stuff IMO is a problem that is about to get seeing because no races (that I know of) with 20 or 30 guys piling up accidents yet. Some can argue what about CX? well CX is a totally different race, you have pits, the guys are pretty much going by their own all the time and clothing is different too, road guys are going pretty much naked over the bike.

Lets see what happens later on but dont see this DISC thing like a feature we will see like standard in road races like electronic shifting for example.

Shoeman
01-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Those Cervelos may be the fugliest bikes I have ever seen. In general most of the current crop of mass market production bikes are not attractive to me, but those take it to the next level of awful!

Can't agree more, all these plastic bikes look creepy. The C'dale probably looks the best.

pinoymamba
01-17-2016, 06:01 PM
3. Caleb Ewan hits the front 25 metres from the line, takes out the opening crit. Orica/Green Edge sprinter, remember the name. He's an itty bitty little thing but he gets damn low on the bike and his power ~ weight must be amazing. I saw his claimed stats show 61kg.

i've been a fan since watching him win the juniors omnium on the track. definitely a talent and at 5'4 and 130 lbs he's a pocket rocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19hRIIESRw

here's the finish from the crit.

livingminimal
01-17-2016, 07:16 PM
I was hoping this thread would be about something, like, you know...talking about the race. Who is there, what were expecting, getting excited for road season. I know I am.

Instead we're talking about the first race of the first season where it's openly being explored, the lack of disc brakes. Guess the crisis has been averted and its calipers forever!

Seriously man. Rename the thread. Or make it something more accurate next time.

rustychisel
01-17-2016, 07:26 PM
I was hoping this thread would be about something, like, you know...talking about the race. Who is there, what were expecting, getting excited for road season. I know I am.

Instead we're talking about the first race of the first season where it's openly being explored, the lack of disc brakes. Guess the crisis has been averted and its calipers forever!

Seriously man. Rename the thread. Or make it something more accurate next time.

Well, it is what it is. You contribute, have an opinion and the direction will change to your liking. Seriously. Racing proper starts tomorrow, I reckon Rohan Dennis of BMC will defend his 2015 title successfully.

Whadda you think?

livingminimal
01-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Well, it is what it is. You contribute, have an opinion and the direction will change to your liking. Seriously. Racing proper starts tomorrow, I reckon Rohan Dennis of BMC will defend his 2015 title successfully.

Whadda you think?

Thanks.

That would be cool. I'm good with Rohan winning. Did BMC bring Porte to this?

gemship
01-17-2016, 08:13 PM
I had a thought, are disc brakes on a bicycle aero? So I googled just that and found this web page. There's a video I haven't watched yet but found the science leading to the answer interesting...

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-and-gear-features/components/do-disc-brakes-cost-you-aero-speed

rustychisel
01-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Thanks.

That would be cool. I'm good with Rohan winning. Did BMC bring Porte to this?

Yup. They have a pretty strong team and it looks like Porte will ride to support Rohan and the favour will be returned through the season, of course. My read of it, anyway.