PDA

View Full Version : This is getting old

makoti
01-16-2016, 09:04 PM
Got hit AGAIN today. A guy in a pickup truck, on his phone, came across the line onto the shoulder and hit me with the passenger side mirror. He was going about 50. Luckily, I'm not hurt, didn't even go down. Took a shot to the shoulder, marked up my brand new jacket (first ride, of course), but bike's good.
I caught him at the next light, his window was down, and I yelled at him that he just hit me. He just looks at me, still holding his phone, and drives away.
I did get his plate & a good description of the truck. Called 911, cops came out and took my report. They ran the plate and already knew it belonged to some company. Not sure what happens next. One of the cops thought that since I spoke with the guy, told him he hit me, and he STILL drove off, he may be looking at hit & run. But he said that will be up to me & how much effort I want to put into it. That poor guy. I'm a damn pit bull with a bone on stuff like this.
This is the 4th time I've had contact with a car. All I want to do is ride my bike. Is that so damn hard?

GScot
01-16-2016, 09:17 PM
Good luck and give em hell. Glad you stayed upright.

Cicli
01-16-2016, 09:17 PM
Bummer glad you are ok though.

Where are you in the country? Sounds busy, and dangerous.

cmbicycles
01-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Glad you are ok. Sounds like the guy is a discredit to his species.

Keith A
01-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Glad you're okay!!! I've been hit by a mirror from a vehicle doing about the same speed as the one that hit you. Not only did hit hurt, but it was a pretty scary experience -- not just from the shock of the blow, but realizing how close I was to really getting hurt or worse.

Dead Man
01-16-2016, 09:27 PM
Closest I've come to getting "hit" was getting grazed by a passenger mirror as a guy passed me... I was doing about 30-34mph with maybe 3" to gravel and a ditch, he was doing probably 45.. so the "impact" was very slight, and just made me wobble around in fear for my life for a few seconds. No pain, no damage.. but I chased him for about 3 miles, before the grade flattened out and there was no hope. POS

So is your jacket damaged? There's your actual damages, to back up a claim of hit-and-run... though it sounds like in this case he's guilty anyway, even without damages.

makoti
01-16-2016, 09:43 PM
Bummer glad you are ok though.

Where are you in the country? Sounds busy, and dangerous.

Northern Va, and you're right on both points.

Tickdoc
01-16-2016, 09:48 PM
Yeesh that sucks, but glad you are ok. Much rather have the battle scars on your jacket (or even bike) than on you personally.

Smart on you to get the plate.

You may want to revisit that reoccurring weapon toting thread :p

makoti
01-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Yeesh that sucks, but glad you are ok. Much rather have the battle scars on your jacket (or even bike) than on you personally.

Smart on you to get the plate.

You may want to revisit that reoccurring weapon toting thread :p

I'd so be in jail right now... ;)

Tickdoc
01-16-2016, 09:59 PM
I don't think drivers realize that we are hopped up on adrenaline when riding, and already feeling vulnerable while riding.

Glad to see you got it on record with the po po.

mwynne
01-16-2016, 10:17 PM
Got clipped and went down almost 10 years back, shoulder has never been the same. Also a nasty hit when I was much younger. Honestly, still never been 100% at ease on the road, glad you came through alright though - give em hell.

ultraman6970
01-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Where in NOVA??

Ask the cop which company the car was, and then you can complain personally to the personnel office. The least is an apology from the guy and a new jacket.

In some areas of fairfax county since december you can tell cops are insanely picky catching people at the phone or giving speed tickets.

Good luck at this one.

Satellite
01-16-2016, 10:25 PM
makoti,

This is for all of us, the term, "To the fullest extent of the Law", comes to mind. Take him down for all of us.

echappist
01-16-2016, 10:40 PM
oh s***, sorry to hear this...

also live in NOVA, and with the exception of one ride with a friend, the longest i've ridden in NOVA is about 30 miles, most of which going back and forth on a 2 mile stretch of road. Most of the scenic roads around where i live seems downright terrifying as there's rarely any shoulder and any lightly-traveled road.

As a result, i used to drive out to Maryland to ride and now just ride around a 3-mile loop in DC... At this rate, before long i'd be riding solely indoors...

OP, i hope your riding takes a turn for the better.

OtayBW
01-16-2016, 11:03 PM
makoti,

this is for all of us, the term, "to the fullest extent of the law", comes to mind. Take him down for all of us.
+1.

makoti
01-16-2016, 11:09 PM
Where in NOVA??

Ask the cop which company the car was, and then you can complain personally to the personnel office. The least is an apology from the guy and a new jacket.

In some areas of fairfax county since december you can tell cops are insanely picky catching people at the phone or giving speed tickets.

Good luck at this one.

On 123, just north of the old prison. The truck said "American National" on it, but the officer said he'd call me do I'll wait for that but I'll be looking the company up.

oldfatslow
01-16-2016, 11:41 PM
I'm glad you were not more seriously injured. This is nonsense.

On a ride yesterday I was stopped at a stop light. Beautiful day -- sunny -- not a cloud in the sky -- perfect temp. I'm in the bike lane. Old Suburban pulls up next to me in vehicle traffic lane. As the light turns green he yells obscenities at me and says, among other things, get off the road as i started riding along in the bike lane. What the F#ck?

Then on the same road a little furhter East there's a small stretch, maybe 100 yards, where the road goes from 2 lanes to a narrow one as we approach an intersection. As I'm turning left at the intersection I take the lane so I can safely turn left. As I'm about to make my turn some jackass passes me across the double yellow and while in the intersection. Had he waited 10 seconds he would have hit me when i turned left. Had he waited 30 seconds I would have been out of his way and he on his way. Amazing.

cinema
01-16-2016, 11:52 PM
the same thing happened to me a few years ago. not only did he hit me but at the light he had to balls to get out of his car and start yelling at me like a psycho and advanced towards me. For the first time I took out my knife and told him to back off and he got back in his truck.

I ride everywhere, and not only do I pay attention to everything, I also have a very good memory. I saw the same car just a few days later (i knew because i had the plates) parked not far from where he hit me. he apparently lives there because it's always parked outside of this house. anyway, one afternoon at a later date, he would have come outside and noticed that one of his tires was flat. how that happened, we'll never know.

gasman
01-16-2016, 11:59 PM
So glad you're okay. Also good to hear you're like a dog with a bone !

Sic 'em

oldpotatoe
01-17-2016, 06:08 AM
Got hit AGAIN today. A guy in a pickup truck, on his phone, came across the line onto the shoulder and hit me with the passenger side mirror. He was going about 50. Luckily, I'm not hurt, didn't even go down. Took a shot to the shoulder, marked up my brand new jacket (first ride, of course), but bike's good.
I caught him at the next light, his window was down, and I yelled at him that he just hit me. He just looks at me, still holding his phone, and drives away.
I did get his plate & a good description of the truck. Called 911, cops came out and took my report. They ran the plate and already knew it belonged to some company. Not sure what happens next. One of the cops thought that since I spoke with the guy, told him he hit me, and he STILL drove off, he may be looking at hit & run. But he said that will be up to me & how much effort I want to put into it. That poor guy. I'm a damn pit bull with a bone on stuff like this.
This is the 4th time I've had contact with a car. All I want to do is ride my bike. Is that so damn hard?

Talk to a lawyer.

marciero
01-17-2016, 06:21 AM
Good that you are okay. There may be several avenues of approach. Good that you called it in and have a report. I think a visit to the doctor can be a good idea. Do you have a three-feet law in VA? Last year I was knocked off the bike. Cops came. I declined ambulance. Had witnesses and the driver apologizing but agreed to settle "off the books" with the driver since she was contrite and I seemed okay. So now there was no accident report or witness accounts. That was definitely the wrong thing to do in retrospect but turned out okay in my case as I was in fact okay physically and considered the money we settled on fair, despite it being much less than I might have gotten through insurance.

Peter P.
01-17-2016, 06:31 AM
Of course, it's a good thing you weren't injured.

I wonder how the police will be able to successfully prosecute the driver without more concrete evidence or other witnesses. Keep us informed of the outcome.

I had a driver take a right hand turn in front of me. The extended passenger side mirror on his pickup truck contacted my shoulder and I wasn't going ANYWHERE but following him around the corner at that point. I was pounding on his truck trying to get his attention. He just drove off.

ultraman6970
01-17-2016, 07:23 AM
One of my team mates back in the day carried a balisong knife, scary stuff specially if the other is not expecting to see one.

the same thing happened to me a few years ago. not only did he hit me but at the light he had to balls to get out of his car and start yelling at me like a psycho and advanced towards me. For the first time I took out my knife and told him to back off and he got back in his truck.

I ride everywhere, and not only do I pay attention to everything, I also have a very good memory. I saw the same car just a few days later (i knew because i had the plates) parked not far from where he hit me. he apparently lives there because it's always parked outside of this house. anyway, one afternoon at a later date, he would have come outside and noticed that one of his tires was flat. how that happened, we'll never know.

merckx
01-17-2016, 08:57 AM
Also glad to hear that you are okay. Don't let this one go. This issue of entitlement, irresponsibility and disregard for human life has become endemic. Please keep us updated going forward.

iPaul
01-17-2016, 09:49 AM
all i want to do is ride my bike. Is that so damn hard?

+1

JasonF
01-17-2016, 10:07 AM
But he said that will be up to me & how much effort I want to put into it. That poor guy. I'm a damn pit bull with a bone on stuff like this.

Put a SH*TLOAD of effort into making the guys life as inconvenient as possible. I get that you weren't hurt, etc...but letting the guy get away with a hit and run without any punishment/deterrent will only make the roads less safe down the road when this fool picks up the phone the next time. Just filing a report and getting the employer info means you can at least contact the employer and inform them that they have a potential liability on their hands.

soulspinner
01-17-2016, 10:08 AM
So sorry man 4 times? Get the @#$%^!&.

pbarry
01-17-2016, 10:28 AM
If the driver has a CDL, even though he wasn't driving a big rig or double axle, the state may have the option to suspend his license for this.

Go see a doctor.

ultraman6970
01-17-2016, 11:54 AM
There you have it, if the cops are not reachable this could be reason, just making the guy a favor leaving this under the rug. Find the company and complain to them too.

If the driver has a CDL, even though he wasn't driving a big rig or double axle, the state may have the option to suspend his license for this.

Go see a doctor.

kevinvc
01-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Crap! That really sucks. I've never been clipped by a passing car, but have been passed within just a few inches and that was absolutely terrifying. I don't have the bike handling skills that you do since I'm pretty positive such a hit would have taken me down. I hope you are able to connect with an officer who actually gives a ship about hit and run "even if it's just a bicyclist".

If the new jacket you were wearing was the one I'm thinking it might have been, we'll have to have some email conversations. This might turn out to be a win-win. :p

makoti
01-17-2016, 05:57 PM
If the new jacket you were wearing was the one I'm thinking it might have been, we'll have to have some email conversations. This might turn out to be a win-win. :p

Yep. That's the one, so I'm not buying "I didn't see him". ;)

makoti
01-17-2016, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. I'll follow up with this. I heard back from the officer today, but he had nothing new.
Not sure what a lawyer can do for me, in this case.
No 3ft rule that I know of here.
I am worried that it will turn into a "my word against yours" thing, since no one stopped or said they saw it. We'll see, I guess.

bigbill
01-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. I'll follow up with this. I heard back from the officer today, but he had nothing new.
I am worried that it will turn into a "my word against yours" thing, since no one stopped or said they saw it. We'll see, I guess.

VA has a 3 foot law.

makoti
01-17-2016, 08:29 PM
VA has a 3 foot law.

I did not know this. He got a bit closer than that. That's something to work with.

oldpotatoe
01-18-2016, 07:04 AM

Put pressure on his insurance company. You have his name/plate number.

Insurance companies don't like to be seen as covering drivers who are asshats.

Good luck, glad you are Ok. I have been tapped by a mirror also.

paredown
01-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Haven't been on that section of 123 for a long time, but I remember the stretch by the prison as being a little wider than other sections.

Narrow road--but no excuse. I'm finding that people do not feel like they should have to put on their brakes and wait for a safe section to pass--they will blitz right by, often coming dangerously close (or clipping in your case) when they are surprised by an oncoming vehicle.

They're all graduates of the 'Me First' school of driving--slightly worse than those that graduated from the 'They got Brakes' school.

Glad you stayed upright--and give 'em hell if you can.

cdimattio
01-18-2016, 08:57 AM
There would be some irony if it is this "American National"....

http://www.anico.com/OurCompany/VisionMissionValues/index.htm

VALUES

We place our values 擢IRST in all we do.

Financial Strength-We are all dedicated to financial stability and profitable growth to honor our promises to our insured, to create opportunities for our employees and business partners, and to provide a fair return to our shareholders.

Integrity-Do what's right! Always! We adhere to and place great importance on ethics, integrity and compliance. We are individually accountable for demonstrating the highest standards of each to earn our client痴 trust.

Respect- The golden rule! We will treat all people with empathy, compassion and dignity. We view our business as one of relationships, not transactions. We are committed to making a meaningful difference in the lives of our clients and our team.

Service We have the ability and responsibility to live a life of significance through service and commitment to our values. We are committed to understanding our customer痴 expectations and striving to exceed them with our outstanding service.

Teamwork-We are all in this together. Our success depends on the unique contributions of all employees and business partners. We do this by meeting commitments, being accountable and making continuous improvement. We are committed to the success of our team.

American National Insurance Company (ANICO), headquartered in Galveston, Texas

makoti
01-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Haven't been on that section of 123 for a long time, but I remember the stretch by the prison as being a little wider than other sections.

Narrow road--but no excuse. I'm finding that people do not feel like they should have to put on their brakes and wait for a safe section to pass--they will blitz right by, often coming dangerously close (or clipping in your case) when they are surprised by an oncoming vehicle.

They're all graduates of the 'Me First' school of driving--slightly worse than those that graduated from the 'They got Brakes' school.

Glad you stayed upright--and give 'em hell if you can.

It's three lanes in each direction with 6 ft shoulders (which I was in) now. Popular route b/c of the shoulders. It does have a MUT next to it, but it is, for the most part, unusable for "serious" riding. Too many intersections & foot traffic.

tumbler
01-18-2016, 10:49 AM
makoti,

This is for all of us, the term, "To the fullest extent of the Law", comes to mind. Take him down for all of us.

+1. Glad you're ok and your injuries/damages weren't too severe. Taking this guy down may help someone else who might not be as lucky.

steamer
01-18-2016, 11:21 AM
I did not know this. He got a bit closer than that. That's something to work with.

It's more than 'a good bit closer'; the guy hit you. He gave you NEGATIVE clearance.

makoti
03-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Going to update this...
It's been almost two months. I've played phone tag with the officer who took my report. He tells me there is nothing he can do since there is no damage to me or the bike & since the driver is denying it (shocking, that). But he suggested I go talk to a magistrate to see if there is anything that can be done. I just got back and... no, she says, there isn't.
So, in a nutshell, because I managed to stay upright & not crash after getting clipped by this guy's mirror, he gets to skate. How stupid can I be? I should have gotten the plate & then fell over & torn up my tights or something.
I'm planning to bitch to my county supervisor, but I am under no illusion it will matter. This really frosts me.

Louis
03-07-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm planning to bitch to my county supervisor, but I am under no illusion it will matter. This really frosts me.

I predict that it's just a matter if time until some official says something like "Well, you know the roads are really just meant for cars." They aren't cyclists and there aren't enough of us out there for them to give a d@mn.

Dead Man
03-07-2016, 10:09 PM
It's possible he'll "get away with it" this time... but the record of the accusation will remain. If he's ever accused again, investigators will have more to go.

makoti
03-07-2016, 10:19 PM
I predict that it's just a matter if time until some official says something like "Well, you know the roads are really just meant for cars." They aren't cyclists and there aren't enough of us out there for them to give a d@mn.

Yeah, and the guy I have to talk to is just the person to do it. :crap:

BobbyJones
03-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Next time, if you catch up to the offender at a light/stop sign, etc. dismount your bike in front of the vehicle and stand off to the side incase the offender does decide to continue moving forward and run over your bike. Don't move unless the motor vehicle driver wants to run over your bike, in which case you'll now have property damage over $500 which seems to be a bigger legal infraction than running someone over AND you'll be able to jump out of the way quickly avoiding bodily harm.

This takes a strong stomach and a desire for confrontation, but this is the best approach to both express the severity of the situation AND get a PO on the scene ASAP. Not to mention attract attention from passerby.

Be prepared to take and/or give a punch, especially if there are no witnesses. If there are witnesses, don't throw the first one. If there aren't, well, you're on your own.

Its really a case of live to fight another day or fight to live another day.

(posting this with tongue in cheek, but with experience under my belt. Glad you're ok and didn't go down)

BobO
03-07-2016, 10:39 PM
∆ Don't do any of this. Puts you in both physical and legal jeopardy.

This.

It's possible he'll "get away with it" this time... but the record of the accusation will remain. If he's ever accused again, investigators will have more to go.

Sometimes it takes a while to build a case against a lying bastard.

verticaldoug
03-08-2016, 02:20 AM
I am glad you are unhurt and you consider yourself lucky.

I may get flamed for this, but just drop it. The driver was an idiot, but if everything is about getting justice, an eye for an eye, you quickly live in the land of the blind.

You've been hit 4 times. Maybe you are unlucky, maybe the area you ride in has many idiots, but you may want to reconsider how you are riding. The commonality in all 4 accidents is you. If the roads and drivers are really that unsafe in your area, you'd expect more accidents and fatalities.

The other thing you can do is get a camera on the bike, so you will have a video any future accidents for proof.

From what you say, it really is a he said/she said. Kharma will eventually catch up with him.

merlinmurph
03-08-2016, 07:24 AM
But he said that will be up to me & how much effort I want to put into it.

Please let us know what happens.

Man, glad you're OK, can't believe you stayed up.

soulspinner
03-08-2016, 08:06 AM
+1

bcroslin
03-08-2016, 08:23 AM
I'm sorry but I just don't believe the cop is telling you the truth. We've had a few run-ins with motorists here in St Pete and I can tell you from personal experience that if you get the right cop they will pursue charges. A motorist took a swipe at the group about a year ago and ran several of us off the road and because an officer responded that actually takes his job seriously the states attorney pursued charges and the motorist ended up having to lawyer up and fight the charges. Keep in mind, no one was injured and no one fell off their bike. The officer asked several of us if we wanted to pursue charges and then kicked it up to a states attorney who interviewed three of us. Just like that.

Contrast that experience to one I had with an officer who responded to a very similar incident in the same area as the first incident 4 or 5 years ago. Guy in a truck takes a swipe at the group and I stop and call it in. The driver of the truck pulls in to park and I let him know the cops are on the way. Officer responds and proceeds to tell me all cyclists are scofflaws and there's nothing he can do and it's my word against the driver's. I proceed to get into a very heated argument with the officer while the driver stands there. The driver even admitted to what he did and the officer still couldn't be bothered.

You might want to go above the officers head on this one. You might find a sympathetic supervisor that will at least talk to a prosecutor. In the meantime, you need to ride with a camera rolling at all times. Seems like the cops take this stuff a little more seriously if you have video.

coolplanetbikes
03-08-2016, 08:35 AM
I've had a few car on bike experiences and always forget to whip my phone out and record the initial interaction - when they are most likely to acknowledge some role in the collision, or if they drive off and refuse to talk to you, you have proof of that.

I was once clipped by a cab in San Fran and he of course kept going. SF cops are useless so it didn't even occur to me to call them. I got the cab number, called the company, gave them the time and location. They looked it up on the cab's in dash cam, and the driver was immediately fired. The company doesn't want lawsuit liabilities like that on their insurance. I felt bad for about 2 seconds until thinking about all the other bikers who no longer have to interact with that driver.

I would suggest pursuing it through the company. They have a similar incentive regarding insurance liability and their reputation. That driver may have a couple complaints lodged against him already and it could make a difference.

alembical
03-08-2016, 10:33 AM
If you are mad enough, care enough and motivated enough, I do not think you need to drop this case. The Police Officer may be unwilling to file a report but that does not mean that you are unable to pursue this matter yourself. If he reached out the window and punched you, but all other facts were the same, I think everyone would agree that you could bring a claim. This is no different. The only question is if it is worth it. Your word versus his, and your pocketbook versus his insurance, or companies insurance rather. I would venture that this would settle if you found an attorney to bring the case. The only real victor in the case would be the attorney, but if it upsets you enough to justify the time, energy and expense, I think it is your decision, not that of a police officer.

While you are justifiably upset, the police are not willing to see this as a crime worthy of prosecuting and your financial damages may be too small to make any other action worth the effort, but that decision is yours to make.

MattTuck
03-08-2016, 10:41 AM
^^^

I don't think the OP wants civil damages. I think, in most of the cases I've read about, and heard about on here, that these dangerous encounters (2 more feet and our friend could be dead) should be made examples of, just as much as the incidents with more tragic outcomes. I think most cyclists (if there is no damage to rider or bike) would gladly give up any chance at a civil award, in return for the person being charged criminally.

If these are prosecuted criminally, it sends a message to the community about the seriousness of road safety. It can have a deterrent effect and change behavior.

Waiting until someone is hit and seriously injured, or killed, is like closing the barn door after the horse has left.

alembical
03-08-2016, 12:10 PM
I agree that the original poster did not seem motivated by civil damages, and even if they were, the civil damages would be small and only real benefactor would be the attorney.

However, if the police are unwilling to pursue and what someone is truly after is curbing the person's behavior than civil pursuit should be an option to at least be considered. Damages could be donated to your favorite bike charity. Punishment, whether criminal or civil, can have an affect of reducing poor behaviors... albeit, a small one. At the very least, it will put this driver's and the company's insurance companies on notice of their behavior.

I personally would be unlikely to pursue a civil claim, but I would definitely move up the police ladder and write a couple letters to the local newspapers, blogs, government officials, etc...

ultraman6970
03-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Dont want to defend cops but sometimes they are so overwhelmed with useless crap that if there's no damage they wont waste their time in situations like this or they have to feel up more and more reports.

Is frustrating for the OP, I agree with that.

gdw
03-08-2016, 12:40 PM
No witnesses, injuries, or damage,...... no case. The police can't do anything without evidence or a confession from the driver. You have no civil case as well. Report the driver to his employer and move on.

malcolm
03-08-2016, 03:39 PM

I may get flamed for this, but just drop it. The driver was an idiot, but if everything is about getting justice, an eye for an eye, you quickly live in the land of the blind.

You've been hit 4 times. Maybe you are unlucky, maybe the area you ride in has many idiots, but you may want to reconsider how you are riding. The commonality in all 4 accidents is you. If the roads and drivers are really that unsafe in your area, you'd expect more accidents and fatalities.

The other thing you can do is get a camera on the bike, so you will have a video any future accidents for proof.

From what you say, it really is a he said/she said. Kharma will eventually catch up with him.

this X 10 except maybe the you part. I won't go there as we all have runs of bad luck.
I would feel exactly like you do and would want to retaliate. This guy is an ass, he will eventually get what he deserves or actually he is what he deserves, he has to live his life as him.
Thankfully you are ok.

verticaldoug
03-08-2016, 04:24 PM
I assume most of you who are advocating litigation having never actually been involved in one. If you have, I doubt you'd be recommending it. It sucks. Before you've finished, you will hate it worse than getting hit in the back by the mirror. If you have half a life, get on with it and move on. Nothing sucks the life force out of you like the legal system.

Louis
03-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Nothing sucks the life force out of you like the legal system.

Wasn't there a Star Trek / Sci Fi TV show involving some sort of alien beings that fed off of human negativity and conflict? I'm not sure, but if that's the case someone should check all lawyers' DNA to see if they aren't half-alien.

makoti
03-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks, everyone. It is frustrating as hell, to be sure. I do believe the cop because the magistrate told me the same thing and explained it the same way. Biggest problems are there ARE no witnesses (or none that stopped) so it is my word/his word & no damage so they can't point to anything. Man, I should have bought that Fly6. ;-)
His employer knows. They say he denies it, so they are done. Tempted to post to my clubs newsletter the company name & response.
I've been through civil cases, and yes, they suck the life out of you. Plus, I know I have nothing to sue him for, damages-wise. I doubt I could find a lawyer who would even take the case.
I will go up the county ladder, more for the hope that something can be done in the future for something like this than any resolution to my case. I've tracked the case with WABA (Washington Area Bicyclist Association) for their records and data.
The frustrating part is I, the cop, and the magistrate all know how close it came to being much, much worse,and we were all looking for something they could pin this guy with, and still nothing will be done.

It was beautiful in DC today. 70+, light winds. Went for a ride. Rode the same road. Screw him, I'm riding.

Gummee
03-08-2016, 04:49 PM
It was beautiful in DC today. 70+, light winds. Went for a ride. Rode the same road. Screw him, I'm riding.
Best thing you can do. Don't let the bastards get you down.

I was just about right hooked by a neighbor this AM. I live in the sticks (Nokesville) and we're the only 2 vehicles for miles around.

WTHeck?!

Can't wait till AFTER the corner to pass me?

Idiots abound

M

makoti
03-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Best thing you can do. Don't let the bastards get you down.

I was just about right hooked by a neighbor this AM. I live in the sticks (Nokesville) and we're the only 2 vehicles for miles around.

WTHeck?!

Can't wait till AFTER the corner to pass me?

Idiots abound

M

Love riding in Nokesville. Usually out of the park near the high school. Ought to try to hook up for one.

Hawker
03-08-2016, 05:18 PM

No flames but I think you're wrong on this. I've been hit four times myself. An apple, a cup full of ice, a full 12oz bottle of coke (hurt like heck) and a car drove by me and a kid in the back seat reached out and pushed me. The last time I called the cops, they took the kid in and almost arrested his Mom for interfering. Ultimately I didn't prosecute and they gave him community service.

An eye for an eye implies taking some sort of physical action. While fulfilling (assuming you come out on top) probably foolish in the long run. But prosecuting through the legal system is worth it if you ask me. Why? Because the next time the same guy might be responsible for the death of a cyclist, not just an injury.

Tony T
03-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Going to update this...
It's been almost two months. I've played phone tag with the officer who took my report. He tells me there is nothing he can do since there is no damage to me or the bike & since the driver is denying it (shocking, that).

Getting hit by a mirror and having a mark in that jacket are damages, but documentation is aways needed. Hindsight is 20/20, but when hit, get an EMT on the scene. This should be done anyway, as there may be injuries that you are not aware of at the time.