PDA

View Full Version : 9spd Campy F/D issue - help needed

KJMUNC
01-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Have ridden Campy for a long time and never had this happen....hoping someone here can point out a solution for what's happening.

Basically my braze-on 9spd Record front derailleur slid off the two posts holding it to the braze-on assembly. See the pics below for better detail. I'm not aware of any bolt or screw that hold the derailleur on to the two posts, but I've also never seen one pull off like this before. I thought maybe lateral force from the cable would hold it in place, but I've remounted the der. and even with the cable secured it still easily slides back and off the posts.

What's the easiest fix? I've thought about putting a dab of epoxy on the posts to hold it there. Am I missing something? This made for a fun ride home yesterday....just reached down and manually shifted the chain back and forth from big/little over 20+mi.

Any ideas? Thanks!

oldpotatoe
01-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Have ridden Campy for a long time and never had this happen....hoping someone here can point out a solution for what's happening.

Basically my braze-on 9spd Record front derailleur slid off the two posts holding it to the braze-on assembly. See the pics below for better detail. I'm not aware of any bolt or screw that hold the derailleur on to the two posts, but I've also never seen one pull off like this before. I thought maybe lateral force from the cable would hold it in place, but I've remounted the der. and even with the cable secured it still easily slides back and off the posts.

What's the easiest fix? I've thought about putting a dab of epoxy on the posts to hold it there. Am I missing something? This made for a fun ride home yesterday....just reached down and manually shifted the chain back and forth from big/little over 20+mi.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Lost a 3mm allen bolt that held the assembly on. Part 'B' on this. See yer bike shop.

kramnnim
01-16-2016, 04:00 PM
I wonder how many bike shops will have the correct bolt on hand.

oldpotatoe
01-16-2016, 04:01 PM
I wonder how many bike shops will have the correct bolt on hand.

I think it's just a short 3mm allen bolt. Not that unusual. Had that gig since 1992/3..never have seen one fall out.

KJMUNC
01-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Makes sense as I noticed there was threading in that hole but didn't have a bolt to fit it. Does seem like an odd thing to have worked its way loose....will check and see what I can find.

if anyone has an extra please let me know. doubtful my LBS will have it...they don't speak Campy very well.

Thanks!

Ralph
01-16-2016, 04:18 PM
I believe you could find that size stainless bolt in a well equipped hardware store. I know locally....Ace has them. Maybe not same head as original. I've got 3 of those FD's, and swap around the clamps and braze on hardware.

oldpotatoe
01-16-2016, 04:23 PM
Makes sense as I noticed there was threading in that hole but didn't have a bolt to fit it. Does seem like an odd thing to have worked its way loose....will check and see what I can find.

if anyone has an extra please let me know. doubtful my LBS will have it...they don't speak Campy very well.

Thanks!

Check a well stocked hardware..

I got one..looked thru my junk..let me know..I can send it to ya for a paceline contribution...I can send USPS priority if ya need to get back on the road...$6 to paceline.

stronzo
01-16-2016, 05:45 PM
I've also got an extra you can have sitting on my coffee table. It's got a bit of surface rust but should work fine. Came off a 10 speed Record FD that broke at the bottom of the cage. Let me know. Cheers!

oldpotatoe
01-17-2016, 06:18 AM
I've also got an extra you can have sitting on my coffee table. It's got a bit of surface rust but should work fine. Came off a 10 speed Record FD that broke at the bottom of the cage. Let me know. Cheers!

Go to a decent LBS that 'qui si parla Campagnolo', and they may have that little end of the cage, L shaped gizmo..It can be replaced.

stronzo
01-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Kind of off topic, but you seem to know just about everything, oldpotatoe. What's the purpose of the plastic G piece in the diagram?

oldpotatoe
01-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Kind of off topic, but you seem to know just about everything, oldpotatoe. What's the purpose of the plastic G piece in the diagram?

Originally is was for the ends of the first ten way to hook a Campag chain together, called 'Permalink'. Weird plate on then press in two pins with a thing that looked like modified vice grips. Campagnolo was worried that a poorly adjusted front Der inner cage would rub and fail these causing busted chain. After getting rid of the Permalink silliness, found plastic thing shifted smoothly and quietly, so they kept it on most. None on my EPS.