PDA

View Full Version : History of Time frames?

ceolwulf
01-16-2016, 02:24 PM
I've been interested in Time frames lately but don't know much about them; there seems to be a lot of different models made over the years. Is there some sort of fan page or something somewhere that would list all the different models and their characteristics? Time themselves have no information on their site for anything not current.

(Why do both the major French makers have names that are completely impossible to Google for??)

RedRider
01-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Time... the best made frames no one knows...

FlashUNC
01-16-2016, 05:38 PM
The VXR is the gold standard of carbon bikes imo.

If you're getting a Time, you're getting something made in France from the fibers up.

No other manufacturer -- save maybe Giant -- can say that.

Heisenberg
01-16-2016, 11:05 PM
The VXR is the gold standard of carbon bikes imo.

If you're getting a Time, you're getting something made in France from the fibers up.

No other manufacturer -- save maybe Giant -- can say that.

BMC with the Impec might be the only other manuf to weave their own tubesets.

professerr
01-17-2016, 04:25 PM
I'd be interested in a general history of these frames as well.

And in particular, I'm interested in whether the rumored switch to a beefier top tube is true, and if so when was this done and is there any external difference? I'd read all the glowing reviews as well as the occasional niggle that the top tube was a bit flexy. I poo poo-ed this and bought one anyway, but now that I've got one, it is clearly an issue. I still dig the thing and there is something delightful about the way it handles and flexes like an old Peugeot (car, that is) on fast descents, but I'd still prefer the dead solid feel of a modern Tarmac.

nicrump
01-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Time was a french ski binding manufacturer back in the day(much like Look) and entered cycling though their wonderful clipless pedals in the very late '80s. Their frames originated as TVT iirc and even branded some outsourced steel in the early-mid '90s.

The little known history about where their fabulous RTM capabilities came from, they learned it in Wichita Kansas. I was working for the startup 'Nimble', helping develop the crosswind when we went to visit a small shop in Wichita. Nimbles owner bought his RTM technology from these guys at the same time both Cannondale and Time where there getting their RTM chops. Remember that Cannondale Slice that was on the cover of Bicycling ~'96? it came from that shop. Time was their learning and went home to continue with that RTM tech to start production on their first carbon fork.

I cannot tell you much beyond that but those were the beginnings. Though I'd love to know if there was more to it.

m_sasso
01-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Nick I believe you are incorrect on your Time Sports ski binding history.

Roland Cattin and Jean Beyl founded Time Sport in 1987 and under that name to the best of my awareness were never involved in the ski binding industry. I worked in the ski industry form the early 70's to the mid 90's and to my knowledge Time Sport was also not involved in the manufacturing of composite skis or poles or a contributing manufacture to the ski industry. Cattin's partner in the start up of Time was Jean Beyl who came from Look, the ski binding and pedal manufacture who had left Look when the company was unresponsive to his ideas for change.

nicrump
01-17-2016, 05:50 PM
i'll accept that. but a Look connection to ski bindings yes?

Nick I believe you are incorrect on your Time Sports ski binding history.

Roland Cattin and Jean Beyl founded Time Sport in 1987 and under that name to the best of my awareness were never involved in the ski binding industry. I worked in the ski industry form the early 70's to the mid 90's and to my knowledge Time Sport was also not involved in the manufacturing of composite skis or poles or a contributing manufacture to the ski industry. Cattin's partner in the start up of Time was Jean Beyl who came from Look, the ski binding and pedal manufacture who had left Look when the company was unresponsive to his ideas for change.

djg21
01-17-2016, 06:26 PM
i'll accept that. but a Look connection to ski bindings yes?

Look has made ski bindings since the 1950s.

m_sasso
01-17-2016, 06:33 PM
"Look" France took it's name from from the US Photo magazine in the late 40's following the second world war.

Jean Beyl developed a turn table rear heal ski binding that was much safer than what was available at the time, 1948 and called his company "Look".

Jean Beyl was related to Roland Cattin in some manner and when his company "Look" would not incorporate his ideas for pedal float in the bicycle industry standard "Look" pedal, he left the company and started a new company with Cattin called "Time Sports".

"Time Sports" was to compete with "Look" and incorporated his new ideas for pedal float in bicycle pedals.

paredown
01-17-2016, 06:37 PM
It seems to me that in recent memory there was a 'History' section on the website, but I can't find anything--it's all slick Wordpress now--more pics fewer words.

Wrench Science still has a pretty good summary and a video of an interview with Roland Cattin;
http://www.wrenchscience.com/road/frames/Time/

I find it pretty interesting that they are 'weaving' their frame components in Lyon, where the traditions of weaving go all the way back to the 17th century....

nicrump
01-17-2016, 08:31 PM
However the fact is they braid as oppose to weave.

paredown
01-17-2016, 09:12 PM
However the fact is they braid as oppose to weave.
Hence the quotes around weaving--but point taken. Technically, they are braiding as you say.
Perhaps I could have said it better by noting the long tradition of fabric making that Lyon is known for.
(It's the curse of being a historian, that you tend to see connections that echo back into a forgotten past...)