PDA

View Full Version : Experience with FarSports wheels?

sweet_johnny
01-15-2016, 09:19 PM
FarSports seems to have fairly consistent decent reviews and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a set of 50mm carbon clinchers. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with their new-for-2016 U shaped rim with the 4 degree brake track?

regularguy412
01-15-2016, 09:51 PM
None. BUT! I became interested in your find as I just purchased and have received a very similar wheelset. Mercury M5 55mm carbon clinchers. J-bend Sapim spokes. Similar weight, but the FarSports advertise a bit lighter , likely due to the DTSwiss hub (straight pull) vs. the Novatec hub on the Mercurys. Also, the NDS rear is radial on the FarSports where the Mercurys are 2x both sides rear -- which costs the Mercurys a little weight due to a slightly longer spoke. Purchased mine on sale plus add'l 10% off, for $809.00 plus a little shipping. Similar toroidal U-shape rim section, exposed nipples and basalt impregnated braking surface for both types.

If you get them, let us know how they go. I have yet to get any miles on mine as the weather has not been friendly on the weekends of late. The FarSports are in the same ballpark price-wise.

MIke in AR:beer:

LJohnny
01-15-2016, 10:24 PM
There is a large thread at weight weenies about FarSports. They may have info about the wheels you are researching there.

thegunner
01-15-2016, 10:33 PM
I've been on their original 23 mm wide U shaped rims for 2 years now? Put them through hell and they're still solid. Sample size of 1...

sweet_johnny
01-15-2016, 10:39 PM
There is a large thread at weight weenies about FarSports. They may have info about the wheels you are researching there.

I've done a fair bit of research and have read through the bulk of the bazillion page thread on WW, but no one seems to have any experience with the new rim. I'd prefer not to be the early adopter on this one.

eBAUMANN
01-15-2016, 10:46 PM
I'm very curious about their braking surface...

I have a set of their wide disc tubulars and they are pretty awesome for the money. Cx Ray and 240s straight pull centerlock. Sawwweeeeeett.

krhea
01-16-2016, 01:44 PM
I've had a set of Farsports on my Caad10 for 3+ years. After reading all the reviews, of which back then there weren't nearly as many as now, I decided to give them a shot, excellent choice in my opinion.
To be sure of build quality I immediately took them to a very well known "wheel shop" here in Portland for a look see. The response was, "where'd you get these, who makes them, are they Chinese, man they're built really well and don't need us to touch them at all, not what we usually see when someone brings us a set of Chinese wheels. Usually we either won't touch them or if we do try we can't "help" them."
These only have maybe 1000miles on them and they've only been used for flat to rolling fast rides. I rode these at 200-205lbs before dropping weight and had no problems whatsoever but would not use them everyday nor as a climbing wheel as I doubt they'd be stiff enough for my style. They're 20/24s. I plan to build a set of 38mm carbon tubular wheels using Dt240 hubs (24/28), XRay spokes and Farsport 38mm carbon rims this winter.
These have the basalt brake surface and it always worked well for me but again, these wheels haven't seen any long/steep/fast descents.

Just another "sample size of 1".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/KRhea/CAAD%2010/IMG_9109_zpscf3d0bc4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/KRhea/media/CAAD%2010/IMG_9109_zpscf3d0bc4.jpg.html)

sweet_johnny
01-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. It seems like, in general, people have positive things to say about FarSports. I still can't seem to find anyone who's ridden on those new 4 degree rims, however.

So, I'm curious hear opinions on my hub choice logic. I was originally going to get the DT Swiss 350 hubs, but am now leaning towards the Novatec hubs for the following reasons:
- they use J-bend spokes as opposed to the straight pulls of the 350s. J-bend spokes are considerably cheaper if for some reason I need to rebuild the wheel.
- the Novatec hubs are a little cheaper and a little lighter.
- Reviews of the Novatecs are generally good.

Are there any reasons that I should consider the DT Swiss 350 straight pulls hubs?

regularguy412
01-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. It seems like, in general, people have positive things to say about FarSports. I still can't seem to find anyone who's ridden on those new 4 degree rims, however.

So, I'm curious hear opinions on my hub choice logic. I was originally going to get the DT Swiss 350 hubs, but am now leaning towards the Novatec hubs for the following reasons:
- they use J-bend spokes as opposed to the straight pulls of the 350s. J-bend spokes are considerably cheaper if for some reason I need to rebuild the wheel.

Are there any reasons that I should consider the DT Swiss 350 straight pulls hubs?

FWIW, the Novatec freehub on my set of Mercurys has what appears to be a steel, 'no bite' insert in one of the splines. This is supposed to help keep the cogs from gouging the soft freehub body.

Mike in AR:beer:

oldpotatoe
01-18-2016, 06:28 AM

Too bad they don't offer 350 standard, jbend hubs. That would be a great choice but adding some grease to the inside of the bearings of the Novatec and grease in the innards/axle, oil on pawls, and they will be fine.

sandyrs
01-18-2016, 09:31 AM
What price are you getting for those wheels? Just curious, as I don't see prices on their website and don't want to email them about it considering I don't need new wheels and am just gathering general knowledge, hah.

sweet_johnny
01-18-2016, 10:12 AM
Their online store is at http://wheelsfar.com. They should have prices listed there.

The new 50mm U shape with the Novatec hubs are a "custom" build. I was quoted:
Wheelset price: US$534/pair (shipping excluded)
Shipping cost to USA is US$75/pair
Total: US$609/pair

That's before the paypal fee (I think it's 4.5%).

So, I'm curious... would there be any interest in doing a group buy?

sandyrs
01-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Their online store is at http://wheelsfar.com. They should have prices listed there.

The new 50mm U shape with the Novatec hubs are a "custom" build. I was quoted:
Wheelset price: US$534/pair (shipping excluded)
Shipping cost to USA is US$75/pair
Total: US$609/pair

That's before the paypal fee (I think it's 4.5%).

So, I'm curious... would there be any interest in doing a group buy?

Thanks- I was looking at what I guess is their old site.

krhea
01-18-2016, 02:07 PM
So, I'm curious... would there be any interest in doing a group buy?[/QUOTE]

Why deal with the headaches of a group buy when the prices are already excellent? Just curious.

thegunner
01-18-2016, 02:14 PM
Why deal with the headaches of a group buy when the prices are already excellent? Just curious.

last time i tried to organize a group buy for rims only everyone backed out at the last minute, but they did give a hefty discount for 10+ in an order.

krhea
01-18-2016, 02:39 PM
last time i tried to organize a group buy for rims only everyone backed out at the last minute, but they did give a hefty discount for 10+ in an order.

The "backed out" part is what I was referring to. Seems that's the norm as opposed to the exception for big dollar group buys on most forums.

thegunner
01-18-2016, 03:28 PM
The "backed out" part is what I was referring to. Seems that's the norm as opposed to the exception for big dollar group buys on most forums.

as i recall, it took the cost from $180 at the time per rim down to $135... so it wasn't insignificant.

Pdavis91
05-02-2018, 11:05 PM
I’ve been hearing decent things about this company from some local racers. There is word that in the last two years, they have moved to a higher grade carbon, changed management, etc. Anyone here have any recent experience? Ie. within the last two years or so?

Gummee
05-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Nextie also has a good reputation from a friend in the business who has a friend that uses them exclusively for his builds.

If you want Taiwanese (better quality, more $) Gigantex has a good reputation as well and you can get those from BHS

M

NoMoreParagon
05-03-2018, 09:16 AM
I had Nextie for my fat bike and i would stay away..the rim delaminated after just couple of rides.. could be one off but who knows...

I think farSports are v good. I researched a lot when i needed some gravel rims.
Their website is not that great at keeping up with all the rim types and hubs they have. They are SAPIM spokes distributor for China so their wheel construction seems quite good. The have by far the best hub selection you can get for asian built wheels. You can get a Chris King set for a $1,000.
Some people have expressed some concerns with their rim brake basalt surface durability and wet performance, but I think, that other than ENVE, every other carbon rims have the same problem.

I ended up with Light Bicycle rims because they have more modern profile rims, they have a US operation and their website makes easier to select the combo you like. Far Sports should release the new 28mm wide rims shortly. If you are into the aero credo, might be worth checking with them.

Novatec hubs are totally fine. If you can, i would advise you to get Bitex hubs. They cost pretty much the same and you can find easily spares from BHS.

J bend vs Straight pull is really aesthetic nowadays. Straight Pull are sexier, and its not that difficult to find SP spokes online should you need replacement. They also easier to build in the hand of a good wheelbuilder.

One thing I would ask is for brass nipples. If you ride in wet or humid conditions, alu nipples can be a problem.

Pdavis91
05-03-2018, 09:47 PM
I ended up with Light Bicycle rims because they have more modern profile rims, they have a US operation and their website makes easier to select the combo you like. Far Sports should release the new 28mm wide rims shortly. If you are into the aero credo, might be worth checking with them.

Do you have any reason to believe they will be releasing a new 28mm wide rim?

NoMoreParagon
05-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Do you have any reason to believe they will be releasing a new 28mm wide rim?

Should be already in their web shop on aliexpress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bentley
05-04-2018, 07:15 AM
Thanks- I was looking at what I guess is their old site.

I'm in, We need to think about the Logistics of this, eg how we get the wheels to everyone because that will add cost for everyone and if all we get is 10% discount its likely not worth it. Also, I am not into 50mm wheels, would perfer the lower profile wheels (I dont like the way a deep profile wheel works in a cross wind).