PDA

View Full Version : large frames, what fork?

Needs Help
03-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi,

As many members of this forum probably don't realize, the 350mm max steerer length on the F2 and most other forks means they may not allow you to get the bars up enough to hit your targets. The only ones I've found that would be appropriate are Wound Up and Alpha Q both of which are straight bladed, and the Wound Up has a unique look. I don't care for straight bladed forks in general nor Wound Up's looks in particular. Does anybody know of other choices for +350mm steerers? What about forks with alloy steerers? Does anybody use an F2 at it's full length? Is the steerer too flexy?

davids
03-30-2004, 10:29 AM
I can't offer you any other options, but I did want to let you know that I'm very happy with my Wound Up. It's rather ...unique... looking, but it's stiff, precise, and smooth. Something to do with those round (rather than bladed) tubes, I think.

Good luck,

flydhest
03-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Looking at True Tempers website
http://www.truetemper.com/performance_tubing/alphaq.html

the AlphaQ has a 350 steerer as well. Now, my frame is only a 60, and I'm under 200, but this fork is great for me. TooTall is taller than I (though only slightly heavier . . . the bum!) and rides a much larger frame. It is because of him that I got the AlphaQ.

This, of course, does nothing for your aversion to straight blades, but the design of the Q, with the tapering to the fork tips, keeps it looking a lot more traditional than the WoundUp, which I personally can't stand.

That said, since the steerer on the Q works well, I can't imagine why the F2 wouldn't work--given that the AlphaQ also has a 350 steerer.

Smiley
03-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Too Tall is using a Ti steerer on that BIG frame.

Jeff N.
03-30-2004, 11:39 AM
The Reynolds Ouzo Pro is also available, special order in most cases, in an extra long 350mm. Jeff N.

BigMac
03-30-2004, 11:46 AM
NH:
Why do you need 350mm+ steerer? As I recall, you are persueing a frame very similar in size to mine, 64/61 w/8cm BB drop and maybe 2-3cm less saddle-bar drop than I, no? Well, none of my frames have more than 325mm of steerer. Seems that 350mm would be the absolute maximum you would need.

Choice between Wound Up and Alpha is frankly a no-brainer. The WU is perhaps the worst cf fork ever made, worse even than the Kenesis and Time Criterium if that were possible. It has no feel, is non-linear under load and has a horrible safety/durability record. The AQ was a far better fork before TT bought the firm, primarily because the former designer/builder was famous for custom layups/builds. A friend has a custom heavy-duty layup AQ with steel steerer on his Legend that may be an even better fork than the F1...he's a very powerfully built 265lb rider who pushes the limits of any fork. Unfortunately, TT does not have the capacity to perform small scale custom builds for these special circumstances. The stock AQ fork is however among the better cf forks available today, imo...much better than the F2 for my money and my limited experience using the F2 (one 30 minute spin through the Presidio over to Marin Headlands and back).

Other possible alternatives to the AQ are the Reynolds Pro Peloton and a custom brazed steel fork. I personally have not been a fan of the Ouzo Pro, finding it overly flexy, lacking feel/feedback and non-linear responding under load. I have never used the Pro Peloton however I know 1st hand from a local pro team that is using this fork. Most of the riders have commented this is a greatly improved version of Ouzo with considerable gains in lateral stiffness, feel and response. As a bonus, the blades and crown have been changed to accomodate considerably better tire clearence than Ouzo. An all steel fork would be my choice, offering custom rake, greater tire clearence and adequate stiffness, response and feel if using proper blade choice -- NOS hand raked 531 blades are the best!

I'm not sure that steerer material has much impact on stiffness, most fork flex and torsional loading is located in blades. Steerer material may effect feel and certainly can effect stem choice/durability issues although I think Reynold's and AQ have a pretty good reliability record relatively free of steerer failures at crown and fractures under stem clamping pressure. Just do not exceed 30mm of spacers under stem and you'll be safe no matter the steerer material design.

Ride on!

Too Tall
03-30-2004, 02:04 PM
Good info. big boy. F.Y.I. Zinn has lots of 400mm Alpha Q standard forks in stock.

PS - I got my AQ direct from Kew Lee.

Needs Help
03-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the responses.

NH:
Why do you need 350mm+ steerer? As I recall, you are persueing a frame very similar in size to mine, 64/61 w/8cm BB drop and maybe 2-3cm less saddle-bar drop than I, no? Well, none of my frames have more than 325mm of steerer. Seems that 350mm would be the absolute maximum you would need.

I guess I should explain. I can just get my handlebars up enough if I use a 0 stem and a 350mm steerer. I would prefer not to use a 0 stem, and I would also like to equally divide the available spacers and put half above the stem and half below the stem, so that I can adjust both up and down. To accomplish all that, I need a longer steerer.

Alpha Q looks like my only choice at this point. Does anybody know anything about Ritchey's new carbon forks?

Rollin'
03-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Hello!

As an employee at a Bike shop that does custom bikes, I have an answer to your dilemma. ..

Wound up makes 400mm steerers to order! And better yet, they have a superthin alu sleeve inside the carbon for extra reinforcement (perfect for big guys)!
I have set up a couple of super tall customers with these, and they love 'em.

Good luck! :)

Needs Help
03-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the post Rollin. However, I don't like straight bladed forks, and I don't care for Wound Up's unique look either, so that isn't something I'm considering.

I've thought about the Ouzo Pro Peleton, but I'm not sure if it comes in a 350mm steerer, and I hadn't heard anything before this thread on what it was like.

csb
03-30-2004, 10:15 PM

fallzboater
03-31-2004, 01:04 AM
Good info. big boy. F.Y.I. Zinn has lots of 400mm Alpha Q standard forks in stock.

PS - I got my AQ direct from Kew Lee.

I have an Alpha Q Pro Z (for Zinn) which I had my LBS order through True Temper, but they will also sell direct. The steerer was at least 400mm (I cut mine down to 330) and is extra thick-walled (the same steerer as their tandem forks). I wanted a very stiff steerer to ensure that my large custom frame (240mm head tube) would handle well at high speeds and under hard braking. The fork is available in two offsets (44, and 40 or 41mm), and you should be able to get it for around $300. My fork weighs 470 grams (after cutting, no insert). The fork works great, the only thing I would change is that I'd like more tire clearance. It fits a 23 Conti fine, but would probably not work with most 25 mm tires (and forget about fenders). I believe their tandem fork has more tire clearance, but would be overkill for all but extremely heavy riders.

-David