PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vinyl - What are you listening to?

MesiJezi
01-15-2016, 05:52 PM
What do you have on the turntable right now?

My wife and I received a blatantly re-gifted, el cheapo record player from the in-laws this Christmas... something I never would have purchased for myself. I didn't even know where we would put it or if we would use it. I'm not opposed in any way, it's just not a priority. Well, it's surprisingly fun! We've taken a couple trips to the local Goodwill where there are hundreds of records to comb through at dollar each. Mostly junk, but we've found a few gems.

Something about it really gets the mechanically inclined part of me, and I think my wife really likes the nostalgia of it. So we've found something we can enjoy together, and we're listening to more music than we were before. :hello: Win! Anyone else? Some of our favorites right now:

John Denver - Rocky Mountain High
Sountrack from The Sting
Frank Sinatra - Hits

jtakeda
01-15-2016, 06:38 PM
Randy Holden-population II
John Scoggins-pressed for time
Captain beyond-s/t

If you recognize the road I'm going down we could be good friends.

Louis
01-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Any record I feel like (assuming I can find it in the pile):

http://nyti.ms/1vlfSPU

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/08/10/magazine/10collector1/mag-10Collector-t_CA0-master675.jpg

ofcounsel
01-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Led Zeppelin IV, side two, track 3, Going to California.

Right now...

chuckroast
01-15-2016, 07:11 PM
I've found a few discs at Thrift Stores but they are mainly picked over by the time I get there. You might go try a few Estate sales, usually in better condition and lots of vinyl from the heyday of the '60s and '70's.

I work at home and usually spin discs on Friday. Today Coltrane, Davis, Tower of Power and Nick Lowe all made appearances.

Geeheeb
01-15-2016, 07:19 PM
all new wax re-released in 2015 that I had out on the turntable this week:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/EF3nnl3xSmnTDxoAPSSNCqpXpjdz68M6Nb0fbY3EOnF8mHkHgF zMQALA2p42QgLoRXzXLOikq1gYRuH5A93BL0PSxkemQlYzvx5v qdj6wNmOii9Mibj-MUDVTCk_QMPiKrYgUiuZN8atfEjPy9gJ4cr3Bg4YF6h0xLfkxa gSVXuLBva5kv1JZ7E-J25mKnZvz_kpWxL8uzAAZ-FMSOpIbtvhFSWNPXXbpFEMzzSoI1jsymTVKj-JkA-BHXPvyBwfhGhqibZaUYfG3X1NRKnKvPyvWqu1cHVs_i4_vIuH-eQcKOLJ7b3EfWGSYbUi_kNyWVexW8j3vwrn2KcdHuw7_dkHX3g s5JeacnnMvm-FQxFs5d-kLCmWpIrXjYS2Jzol8TqiqMgdfshMx-AX93orm-Hy0Mb0L7EYVJcqTpeNKNww5bLjsnCTfw6rMFCzudwLfvgIo4kg e_RUMMwTaoJKhM7rdG4TCGt37z28LAnfxHrUfjIJ-VjaQrxcHZa4zKSgw6XMArbtsvm4QQdnAPY8nYWTXz2E=s800

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/m5Rsi5iMQtcdfkbmVNX8LHUs6zstx0IoD_MOiUj86Hj4MehigF qvWG9Wm2N0u18xtdxgy6HQMukuPGtXwVdhKqGhJG73t_7QL5L-iy9yS-DCtDxDNoB98dqFEBr-TaCk-keL3jQSiGl8t_GxiLCp9DbdGWRLpzCJZGpT_RpKae5VUA3U1pr DQC7hjLGyO4HfRmJPmfnM9loGyAWOk0ClkB3LfGhkn2sbJZxHH 4lw2V0V1L_xcIdhgL9Ns79QPp6B_iXY2x4Ccveg56hkvuMz1If aBQ73He9zhYaBIbzfb0CUE_ImdWqlSvKICxVnmS3i4sDiq7Cg7 NsmYhb5wCxIB1jX4MuWpbWxBlVcKM3UEayOY89pt0LO4wEvhu7 nOqHN2m7GdecqoGGuxBVcoLjmnYXoTHrqRT4BVPT4Wgkxy3wHl 0WShPXFrrRy0uzvcKcXsiyMfQ1xOSwQlb2g_3ZU1XoC3Vc0SSj AnwOEFc-Qj4hvsoC3UXY9okHTDnq9az29YHvX5J_f9pUb4XkS70PT_rynB TT3=s800

jtakeda
01-15-2016, 07:22 PM
all new wax re-released in 2015 that I had out on the turntable this week:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3Kg-uy22yYGyZAFtNq6NDpMQ42x_O7B9MpuNCtdnC0tCegawHkEDJ2 5WgZO7VXt3fzDoX5DP3LLVG9YoFX4Bl48DkBFUcbWu9VWyUebl-hFXa2cA_KPv6ys4GwAretX5Ve3_j8iE15OljgsTdEcu4iTVdRM WMwoMsNrkWQhe9Wyi3KV2--ljyOsK7xErekk0M1DvWJW9ypDa9dvwBzqfqgMScZsKm7lI9Z1m 177Dqigvmit0ykz4YJEBocKX8fYaN-oIH74bsWqvqdVVZtauLU719yAyqCBPiLS3acuAVAr9fr9cE-b_hgNdwFuYskA9VOx2V6P9iRRJKwJIbMPGy1xYAVW1hBeamXbw j57R8G7TFxLgt4Ja7eFpNK-6fj6fO8aMtsZR_wVvX0o2szxJXAyOoVwUVO1yBECTx3LXPtc2d pfrFuIDVnMuqe3gCTDzYX9A2JSht4E3t1d-SVlMDeC8bw5UWa8TqaOYxfBEJv9pFViJcDWSpaSGLpS_kZGq-zxsl85qsUGjboh-b2G32Ly6NIcO=s800

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dUnbDQEyQV68QY0GZJREPvRZRVY6elk0ffcSe2-u7JsXxMiD07h63H9HZ1WNp0rIThGQ3I7jRlwUsSHGVbc0iX_MA 1BWtpTKot2QfD93-iS5opJHb99bUUGZ-hUdNO9niQyeRQeKEf8-EHAxqROr4otYzhx9lXu32IXXg7-LddPkFVXLRkq0fwTVYsnPKcG2OCX3L0JpHgtSVoxQcK1p9w7q1 Z3w43MaCWs5EHmXaYfZtT-MJ-lCX-e9DcexupKK6wrRVX8ZecZ9ig26sBUZkZUYZ1UJ67OtfEzc6Vpt xDbex7uhCw4qsbYDd1yYVN7w8LiPM-iAdTGTyJ9LSUOWMhTYVGq_lUI3iS2GQ1Dwo4gQELI8cnax57ej fCfW8sGYlnm8Dxu88CGfxEgmh_3LsdaGXzoxDKDiODolm0PZug 7WoaUUyj2zoen0aenRRTRs8m36ILnWx36eiVW7DehTi1vqi9yk 4rm5Q1bbYcpqLN3N_coeMWdAjnjd_twmx38YZ7Sgb0GhKjRgXu PT-xQ7BTy1oTuI=s800

We can be friends. Shades is the only thin lizzy I don't have. Besides new day of course.
I have originals of all the other lizzy.

Ever heard funky junction? Thin lizzy doing deep purple covers

Geeheeb
01-15-2016, 07:28 PM
ohhhhh we can be friends indeed. new day EP is my favorite stuff!

You could get the reissue here:

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/1593-shades-of-a-blue-orphanage

I love the Eric Bell years, its my absolute favorite rock ever. I celebrate the rest of the discography too, but when I tell people I like Thin Lizzy they are getting down to Jailbreak and I'm just like things ain't workin ouweeet down at the farm.

jtakeda
01-15-2016, 07:32 PM
For the most part I only collect originals ;)

Eventually I'll find it.

rounder
01-15-2016, 08:23 PM
What is the attraction of vinyl.

I loved vinyl...mainly for the album covers. But most of mine is in the basement. Most of what I liked I have since bought on CD. I also have a box of old 45s that have not been played in over 25 years.

I do not understand the attraction. Vinyl takes up a lot of space compared to CDs. Plus, with CDs, you can copy them and send them. I know that potentially, vinyl can sound better...but that is only if you have really hi fi stuff.

Anyway, I like having my old records and am not planning to get rid of any.

jtakeda
01-15-2016, 08:26 PM

I loved vinyl...mainly for the album covers. But most of mine is in the basement. Most of what I liked I have since bought on CD. I also have a box of old 45s that have not been played in over 25 years.

I do not understand the attraction. Vinyl takes up a lot of space compared to CDs. Plus, with CDs, you can copy them and send them. I know that potentially, vinyl can sound better...but that is only if you have really hi fi stuff.

Anyway, I like having my old records and am not planning to get rid of any.

For me:

1. sound better.
2. Have album art
3. Hold their value (sometimes)
4. Are fun to hunt down
5. Have many titles unavailable on any other format.

I'm sure there are more reasons I can't think of now but those are the big ones.

That's just me though. I like a lot of private press stuff though which is harder to find.

For reference I run a
Thorens 125 mkii
Fisher 500-c
Klipsch forte speakers.

purpurite
01-15-2016, 08:27 PM
MP3s = monocoque carbon frame

CDs = MIG welded aluminum frame

vinyl = filet brazed, artistic lugged steel frame

That's the attraction of vinyl.

rounder
01-15-2016, 09:03 PM
I am old.

First record I ever bought was Johnny Cash...I walk the Line. They had record stores then where you could walk in and play a record (45) and listen to see if you liked it and wanted to buy it. It was on el cheapo stuff...but back then everything was el cheapo stuff.

When I was in my teens, I sold TVs and radios and records at the local department store. The Beatles and Rolling Stones dominated, but most people were listening to them with their cheesebox car radios. People started tuning in and buying ultra stereo (Phase Linnear, McIntosh, etc.) as the music started getting not as good.

Anyway, for me, I kept listening and the music got better (J.J. Cale, etc.) and itt did not matter what equipment you were listening to.

parris
01-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Brian Setzer, Setzer goes instru-MENTAL! . Just took off Weather Report Heavy Weather the other day.

gomango
01-16-2016, 06:10 AM
Bowie.

Have them all on vinyl up to Let's Dance.

kittytrail
01-16-2016, 09:33 AM
neil young's mirrorball and björk's debut.

yesterday it was the stone roses and the orb.

what will tomorrow bring to the turntable? :D

ofcounsel
01-16-2016, 09:51 AM
neil young's mirrorball and bj?k's debut.

yesterday it was the stone roses and the orb.

what will tomorrow bring to the turntable? :D

Nice!!!

fuzzalow
01-16-2016, 10:26 AM
Vinyl is the preferred way to listen for me and if it is available in that format, then that's how I buy it. Although from a sound quality point of view it may simply be pressed from digital source which negates some the advantage in vinyl. Especially if the waveform is brick-walled which turns music into a shouting contest. Oh well, such is the modern music business.

Most of my stereo gear & vinyl is in storage. The only pieces that I have in our apartment is a DAC to access my FLAC files and two turntables! The turntables are just here because it was too much trouble to pack them up and I value them - so they came with me whether I could use them or not. Crazy.

I'd think there would be a great appreciation for turntables on this forum. Not for age & curmudgeon reasons but for reasons in appreciation of as precision instruments. I really see them as beautiful devices as turnkeys to musical life.

jlwdm
01-16-2016, 11:14 AM

Anyway, for me, I kept listening and the music got better (J.J. Cale, etc.) and itt did not matter what equipment you were listening to.

For me the equipment really matters. With good audio equipment I end up listening to all kinds of different music and enjoying it.

I do not have a turntable, but I have a bunch of albums that have been copied to a NAS.

There is a guy in my neighborhood that will not listen to vinyl. Only tapes off old master tapes.

Jeff

Plum Hill
01-16-2016, 11:17 AM
Martin Mull.

Who?

ultraman6970
01-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Im not listening anything because i dont have my turn-table here, but right now I would be listening cheesy ATF aka After the fire.

mmelito
01-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Red Fang - Prehostoric Dog

Coalfield
01-16-2016, 04:36 PM
jamming to..... My Mammy

rounder
01-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Vinyl is the preferred way to listen for me and if it is available in that format, then that's how I buy it. Although from a sound quality point of view it may simply be pressed from digital source which negates some the advantage in vinyl. Especially if the waveform is brick-walled which turns music into a shouting contest. Oh well, such is the modern music business.

Most of my stereo gear & vinyl is in storage. The only pieces that I have in our apartment is a DAC to access my FLAC files and two turntables! The turntables are just here because it was too much trouble to pack them up and I value them - so they came with me whether I could use them or not. Crazy.

I'd think there would be a great appreciation for turntables on this forum. Not for age & curmudgeon reasons but for reasons in appreciation of as precision instruments. I really see them as beautiful devices as turnkeys to musical life.

Yeah, I would like to know about what turntables people are using these days. I know they can be reasonably priced to super expensive.

My experience with turntables was pretty basic. When I was a kid, my parents had a Westinghouse console where the turntable was so crummy that we actually placed a quarter on the tonearm so that the needle would stay in the groove. The turntable I have now is an el junko that was bought as a Fisher stereo set from a department store in the 1970s (back when they all came with 15" speakers).

fiamme red
01-16-2016, 07:14 PM
jamming to..... My MammyNice! I'm a fan of Billy Murray, whether singing solo or with his quartet.

purpurite
01-16-2016, 07:20 PM
Today has been...

Exit Calm - The Future Isn't What It Used To Be
City and Colour - Little Hell
Phox - Phox
Young the Giant - Mind Over Matter

I much prefer the warm tones of vinyl.

PFSLABD
01-16-2016, 07:25 PM
What does this thread have to do with cycling?

purpurite
01-16-2016, 07:31 PM

I believe the "OT" part of the title clearly marks is as "off topic."

idrinkwater
01-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Nico - Desertshore

Louis
01-16-2016, 10:14 PM
I believe the "OT" part of the title clearly marks is as "off topic."

Just ignore the troll.

rounder
01-17-2016, 12:02 AM
I love good stereo and what was possible but for me youtube went past all that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyQOCJ4SUSk&index=2&list=PL9A5E6B56A3C2F624

jlwdm
01-17-2016, 06:37 AM
Past all of that in the sense that you prefer sacrificing audio quality to have the video too?

Jeff

mcteague
01-17-2016, 06:47 AM
I've been in audio for a long time and really don't understand the return to vinyl. Just another hipster/ironic pastime perhaps. No question it can sound good but no way it is a more accurate image of the original master than digital. Some people prefer the extra warmth and compression you get with vinyl but accept that you are not getting high fidelity as compared with a good old compact disk.

When CDs first arrived, quite a few disks were not well mastered and that showed up as poor audio. Many chose to tar the technology with that same brush. Vinyl wears with each use, noise is added by the dragging of a needle along the surface, lots of compression is needed to make sure that needle stays in the grooves. Not to mention the clicks and pops. Sold off my collection long ago and never looked back.

For best sound, buy great speakers, position them properly and invest in well recorded music.

Tim

kittytrail
01-17-2016, 07:27 AM
I've been in cycling for a long time and really don't understand the return to steel. Just another hipster/ironic pastime perhaps. No question it can ride good but no way it is a more accurate tracking on the original tarmac than carbon. Some people prefer the extra plush and wiggly-wiggly feeling you get with steel but accept that you are not getting high efficiency as compared with a good old carbon compact frame with disks.

When carbon frames first arrived, quite a few frames were not well made and that showed up as poor handling. Many chose to tar the technology with that same brush. Steel wears and rusts with each use, weight is added by the dragging of more fat neutrons along the surface of the roads, lots of good beer is needed to make sure that a steel frame rider stays in the groove. Not to mention the absence of clicks and pops and creaks. Sold off my collection long ago and never looked back.

For best riding, buy great bibs, position them properly and invest in well made carbon fibers rolling apparatus.

(not)Tim

there, it's more appropriate for this forum now. to each it's own methinks. :D

oliver1850
01-17-2016, 02:04 PM
This thread inspired me to get a few things out that I hadn't played in ages. I probably hadn't played the Captain Beyond record since before Jun was born. It sounded surprisingly contemporary, not as psychedelic as I thought. Almost touching on Allman Bros. territory at times, mostly due to Rod Evans's vocals. I also played "The Man who Sold the World" and "Hunky Dory". Right now, J. J. Cale's "Really" is playing. There should be a story behind this record as it was recorded at 5 different studios and with a bunch of different sidemen April - July, 1972. Next up is something I picked out without forum help, Mickey Baker's "The Wildest Guitar".

mcteague
01-17-2016, 02:50 PM
there, it's more appropriate for this forum now. to each it's own methinks. :D

Hey, I didn't start the post. :rolleyes:

Tim

kittytrail
01-17-2016, 03:03 PM
nay, but it was too good of an invitation to edit it to let it pass... :D

CMiller
01-17-2016, 04:48 PM
I always appreciate walking into Rivendell Bike Book and Hatchet, looking at great bikes, and listening to a ton of Bob Dylan. The owner Grant was nice enough to show me how to use the record player after I told him I'd never actually done so.

Ray
01-18-2016, 05:47 AM

I loved vinyl...mainly for the album covers. But most of mine is in the basement. Most of what I liked I have since bought on CD.
I liked album covers, specifically double albums were da BOMB for separating stems and seeds from the good stuff, and then rolling up the good stuff. And I liked how most good records were kind of like a Dead show - side one was an OK warm up, but the really good stuff was on side two... My first album was Iron Butterfly - Heavy - that was BEFORE Inna Gadda Da Vida (baby)...

I moved everything over to CDs by the early '90s and got rid of hundreds of records - I wasn't smoking weed by then anyway - it was too good. Then about two years ago I got rid of all of the CDs because I was listening to streamed music and installed a Sonos system. Now I'm at the point that no media comes into my home physically. Books, music, video, only shows up electronically, on Kindles, on streaming TV, on streaming music, etc, etc, etc. I live in a small condo and we got rid of all of our books, CDs, movies, etc, except for a few prized larger format books with lots of photos and artwork in them. No space to collect stuff (mostly dust) these days. And no need for the clutter anyway.

I realize there are subtle differences in sound quality, but my ears are too shot to notice. From listening to all of those records WAAAAAAY too loud back in the '70s. And going to too many painfully loud concerts - a couple were so loud I had run out of them I was in so much physical pain from the sound. That's not an exaggeration... Lesson learned, but way too late...

This was a nice trip down memory lane - enjoy your vinyl...

-Ray

Formulasaab
01-18-2016, 06:09 AM
http://www.clashmusic.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_feature/public/field/image/jake%20bugg%20cover.jpg?itok=pNjkpHHH

http://thirdmanstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/m/tmr271_front_550.jpg

http://cf-images.emusic.com/music/images/album/150/299/15029991/600x600.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/lyricwiki/images/b/b1/Bob_Dylan_-_Bringing_It_All_Back_Home.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120509093129

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q0zBZyXeL.jpg

http://www.buriedbeds.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ttscover500.jpg
Buried Beds - Tremble the Sails

http://eil.com/images/main/Walt+Mink+Miss+Happiness+622174.jpg

Saint Vitus
01-18-2016, 09:56 AM

Whether our cadence is 33 1/3, 45 or 78 RPM.

Saint Vitus
01-18-2016, 10:15 AM
I've been in audio for a long time and really don't understand the return to vinyl. Just another hipster/ironic pastime perhaps. No question it can sound good but no way it is a more accurate image of the original master than digital. Some people prefer the extra warmth and compression you get with vinyl but accept that you are not getting high fidelity as compared with a good old compact disk.

When CDs first arrived, quite a few disks were not well mastered and that showed up as poor audio. Many chose to tar the technology with that same brush. Vinyl wears with each use, noise is added by the dragging of a needle along the surface, lots of compression is needed to make sure that needle stays in the grooves. Not to mention the clicks and pops. Sold off my collection long ago and never looked back.

For best sound, buy great speakers, position them properly and invest in well recorded music.

Tim

You forgot to mention the amount of eq that discs are cut with, RIAA compensation dumps the low end and boosts the highs during cutting (along with the compression you mentioned and other things that work to alleviate the various effects of the medium). Then of course, these frequencies are reversed on playback.

Personally I'm into the music however I hear it, I hear well enough and understand the process to the degree that I can probably tell the what the recording chain consisted of on most analog recordings. As long as an MP3 is 128 or better, I can enjoy the song and derive pleasure from the audio. Hell even a scratchy 45 can make me dance around the room, I'm not enough of a purist snob to let music affect my emotions.

fuzzalow
01-18-2016, 10:46 AM
Well, I know I can't find more esoteric artists than have been name-dropped in this thread! :D

Fuhggeddabout showing your vinyl or turntables, geez just gimme a listing of your internet radio sites where these kinda new music or artists get netplay.

rounder
01-18-2016, 11:02 AM
This thread inspired me to get a few things out that I hadn't played in ages. I probably hadn't played the Captain Beyond record since before Jun was born. It sounded surprisingly contemporary, not as psychedelic as I thought. Almost touching on Allman Bros. territory at times, mostly due to Rod Evans's vocals. I also played "The Man who Sold the World" and "Hunky Dory". Right now, J. J. Cale's "Really" is playing. There should be a story behind this record as it was recorded at 5 different studios and with a bunch of different sidemen April - July, 1972. Next up is something I picked out without forum help, Mickey Baker's "The Wildest Guitar".

I do not know the story behind Really but J.J. Cale was a recording engineer before he started making records. I bet he was involved in mixing the songs on that record.

Saint Vitus
01-18-2016, 01:01 PM
I do not know the story behind Really but J.J. Cale was a recording engineer before he started making records. I bet he was involved in mixing the songs on that record.

Actually he was a guitarist and an engineer early on in the mid 60's in LA. He didn't have any success doing either there so he moved back to Tulsa after which Clapton covered "After Midnight" (Cale had released it in '66 on Liberty), which propel him into real success as a songwriter and a guitarist.

jlwdm
01-18-2016, 04:03 PM
I decided to perform a test to see how many of these albums were on Tidal. Most were included but a few were missing - "no" after the song and artist.

Rocky Mountain High John Denver
The Sting Soundtrack
Frank Sinatra Hits

Population II Randy Holden no
Pressed for Time John Scoggins
Captain Beyond

Led Zepplin IV

Weather Report Heavy Weather

Setzer Goes Instrumental Brian Setzer

Bowie 147 Albums

Mirror Ball Neil Young
Debut Bjork
Stone Roses 8 Albums
The Orb

After the Fire

Prehistoric Dog Red Fang

My Mammy no lots of tracks of this song but I could not find this one

The Future Isn't What it Used to Be Exit Calm - no
Little Hell City and Colour
Phox
Young the Giant Mind over Matter

Really JJ Cale - no

Shangra La Jake Bugg
Heal Strand of Oaks
Bringing It All Back Home Bob Dylan
Seeds TV on the Radio
Tremble the Sails Buried Beds
Miss Happiness Walt Mink - no

Jeff

oliver1850
01-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Cool to see Walt Mink make the list. I had the pleasure of hanging out with John, Candice, and Joey after they opened for some forgotten band at the Col Ballroom in Davenport IA (winter '92 I think). They were touring in support of "Miss Happiness". Really nice folks. 2nd drummer Orestes Morphin came to them via the band Bitch Magnet, whose "Umber" is another old favorite of mine. I only have the CD, but it's since been re-released as part of a 3 LP compilation set.

jtakeda
01-18-2016, 07:53 PM
I know John scoggins just recently became available.

He's been going through some legal issues and sold the rights to rhino.

Before that it was hard to find and still remains a $200+ LP.

rounder
01-23-2016, 08:52 PM
I can understand looking for the next good sound even if that means reexploring vinyl.

To me...it is not so much about how it is being played as the content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT-SFgkVlno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOZ5VcQIiFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocjSc7v83pk