PDA

View Full Version : OT: pressure washers.

vqdriver
01-15-2016, 04:36 PM
need to get one for work. we've rented hot water, gas powered in the past, but it's time to just put out for one of our own. will be gas powered (unless there's and electric that goes past 3000psi) and will be cold water.

duty will be exclusively concrete cleaning. sidewalks, parkways, parking garages. some walls and ceilings in those parking structures, but will be all concrete.

never had to keep/maintain one before so any advice and feedback is appreciated.

for now, i see two i'm considering.
the Generac 6565
http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Generac-6565-Pressure-Washer/p13020.html
and the DeWalt DXPW3835
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Honda-GX270-3800-PSI-3-5-GPM-Gas-Pressure-Washer-DXPW3835/203185011

not sure how i feel about a dewalt pressure washer, but it's at home depot so i can just pick it up and would have a location to go to deal with problems.

Cicli
01-15-2016, 04:49 PM
I have a Generac 3800 psi gas job. It works really well and will last a long time.

shovelhd
01-15-2016, 06:11 PM
I have one similar to the Generac with a 13hp Honda. The AR is a good pump but it's basically a throwaway. Get one with a Cat pump if you can. Parts have been available forever.

vqdriver
01-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Functionally what's the difference between what the pump does and what the motor does?

cmbicycles
01-15-2016, 09:43 PM
When I worked at a tool rental store the pressure washers were (I think, it's been a few years) by Shark with Honda OHV engines. Very little maintenance and generally used frequently for cleaning equipment when not on rental. Many rental stores sell used equipment from their fleet so you may be able to get a decent deal going that route... plus you can try before buying.

paredown
01-16-2016, 06:52 AM
I have one similar to the Generac with a 13hp Honda. The AR is a good pump but it's basically a throwaway. Get one with a Cat pump if you can. Parts have been available forever.

Not much pressure washer experience, but I would buy a tool with a Honda motor any time...

I'm barely surprised now when crews I work with unload their gear, and their pumps, finishers or generators all have Honda motors..

shovelhd
01-16-2016, 07:50 AM
Functionally what's the difference between what the pump does and what the motor does?

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but I'll give it a shot. For the kind of machine you are looking at, what you are buying is a motor, a high pressure water pump, a hose, a wand with various nozzles, and a cart. The pump is directly attached to the motor shaft, direct drive. When the engine shaft moves, the pump turns. Water enters the pump at low pressure, where a set of pistons compress the water in multiple stages, where it exits at high pressure into the hose and wand. The exit pressure depends on a pressure control knob and which nozzle you choose. With the zero degree nozzle, my washer can drill a hole in concrete in a few seconds.