PDA

View Full Version : Saddle me this

Tickdoc
01-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Giving the ct-1 a shakedown today...just a few niggles to work out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/9AEEC266-8FEF-4064-9FDB-C764E1F8518D_zpss3cwclcl.jpg

Hoping for a proper ride later this afternoon. I have some new tires on the way, a few shifting tuning issues, and am nailing down the fit.

I was originally going to lose the leather and go black, but it has so much character, that I think I'll keep it for now as it matches the chips and flakes of paint missing. I love the worts and all patina of this bike.

I swapped to this old concor saddle for now, but am saving it for the Concorde build. Tried a honey b-17 but it looks Walmart sized on this bike:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/F84A56AF-4856-4624-8255-4384F6FBCC60_zpsgpyyh6ln.jpg

So, brown saddle? Which one? Vintage with a little wear on it? Swallow? Cambium? Berthoud? Soma has one that looks promising.....

Curious what the peanut gallery would do.

rwsaunders
01-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Brooks Swallow in antique brown might go well with your bar tape...great looking bike btw.

R3awak3n
01-15-2016, 01:28 PM
if I was going with a leather saddle on that bike I would get a berthoud, actually, if I was going with a leather saddle in any bike, I would go with a berthoud

AngryScientist
01-15-2016, 01:30 PM
a C15 would look right at home on that bike!

very nice.

metalheart
01-15-2016, 01:35 PM
The Rivet saddles (http://rivetcycleworks.com) are also worth a look ....

Cicli
01-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Good looking bike. A Swallow or Swift would look great.

Gsinill
01-15-2016, 02:09 PM
Good looking bike. A Swallow or Swift would look great.

Yep, I'd vote for a Brooks Swift in honey.

brockd15
01-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Yep, I'd vote for a Brooks Swift in honey.

Ditto, if the Swift works for your rump then it would look great.

R3awak3n
01-15-2016, 02:24 PM

yeah these would look great too, need to try one

Tickdoc
01-15-2016, 02:58 PM

Thanks! I like the fact that they have a ti option as well, and they have nice matching bar tape that looks great. Maybe worth a shot.

R3awak3n
01-15-2016, 03:40 PM
the berthoud also has a ti option, 350g which is pretty decent for a leather saddle

buldogge
01-15-2016, 04:36 PM
Search out one of the brown Fizik Aliantes...

-Mark in St. Louis

cinema
01-15-2016, 04:49 PM
brooks c15 in black or rust

or original flite

merckx
01-15-2016, 04:54 PM
a C15 would look right at home on that bike!

very nice.

This. Black please.

Really nice machine, btw.

Louis
01-15-2016, 05:05 PM
Personally, I think darker looks better.

Climb01742
01-15-2016, 05:27 PM
original flite

^^^^^^^^
this

oldpotatoe
01-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Giving the ct-1 a shakedown today...just a few niggles to work out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/9AEEC266-8FEF-4064-9FDB-C764E1F8518D_zpss3cwclcl.jpg

So, brown saddle? Which one? Vintage with a little wear on it? Swallow? Cambium? Berthoud? Soma has one that looks promising.....

Curious what the peanut gallery would do.

Use the saddle your bum likes..You are sitting on it after-all and nobody can see it when you are so..

Hilltopperny
01-15-2016, 06:11 PM
I just put my black swallow on my kirk and it looks amazing. I believe a black swallow would look great on the colnago. I also just received a cardiff cambria which I threw on my fatbike today that was under $50 shipped and brand new off of ebay. It looks very similar to my swallow with the only real difference being the rivets and there is some kind of membrane under the seat, covering the leather from the bottom. I will say that if I had no budget and was looking for a brand new leather saddle it would be a Berthoud based on the looks.

kittytrail
01-15-2016, 06:14 PM
or a tan Lepper Voyager with black 531 rails... :rolleyes:

Tickdoc
01-15-2016, 06:35 PM
Finished inaugural ride today and the old concor light was great...reminds me of my old cinelli Volare how it holds you in place with a definite position. It is a small saddle with not much room to scoot around, but still very comfortable.

I like the look of the Berthoud racing best, and it would have to be had in ti in keeping with the bike, but I don't want to spend that much right now. Swallows look nice too.

OCD in me really wants to find a used natural color the blends in with the bar tape. But that will be a tough call and silly exercise considering the tape is easier to replace. I should replace both, but then I lose the patina of the old tape that looks so great to my eyes.

I think I'll just sit on it a while :~)

Good news is, the bike rides great! Not as smooth as my old ciocc steel, not as fast as my cervelo. It slots right between them. The Cane Creek volos wheels spin up nice, and the record 10 shifts decent...just needs some tweaking.

The chain wants to drag a bit on backpedal, and I am unable to trim out fd rubbing when in big ring and 21-29. Need to check the chain, I guess. Any other thoughts there?

Hilltopperny
01-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Finished inaugural ride today and the old concor light was great...reminds me of my old cinelli Volare how it holds you in place with a definite position. It is a small saddle with not much room to scoot around, but still very comfortable.

I like the look of the Berthoud racing best, and it would have to be had in ti in keeping with the bike, but I don't want to spend that much right now. Swallows look nice too.

OCD in me really wants to find a used natural color the blends in with the bar tape. But that will be a tough call and silly exercise considering the tape is easier to replace. I should replace both, but then I lose the patina of the old tape that looks so great to my eyes.

Good news is, the bike rides great! Not as smooth as my old ciocc steel, not as fast as my cervelo. It slots right between them. The Cane Creek volos wheels spin up nice, and the record 10 shifts decent...just needs some tweaking.

The chain wants to drag a bit on backpedal, and I am unable to trim out fd rubbing when in big ring and 21-29. Need to check the chain, I guess. Any other thoughts there?

I have a 1972 b15 off of a sports tourer that has some nice patina. Not sure if it's a perfect match for your tape but if it is let me know. Sitting next to my aged honey b17 special.

R3awak3n
01-15-2016, 07:31 PM

put an ad on the classifieds for a berthoud, the one I have now I got from here at a very nice price :)

Tickdoc
01-15-2016, 08:22 PM
I have a 1972 b15 off of a sports tourer that has some nice patina. Not sure if it's a perfect match for your tape but if it is let me know. Sitting next to my aged honey b17 special.

Thank you for the offer, but I want something thinner. Color looks like it would be pretty close, though! Love the look of that aged one as well.

Hilltopperny
01-15-2016, 08:47 PM
Thank you for the offer, but I want something thinner. Color looks like it would be pretty close, though! Love the look of that aged one as well.

No worries and thanks they are both nice saddles. I do love my brooks saddles. I am contemplating a nice Berthoud though and will probably be my next bike related purchase.

sweet_johnny
01-15-2016, 09:25 PM
Pick your flavor.

http://vintageofbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/SanMarcoRollsCombo1_zpsdda3425d.jpg

Tickdoc
01-15-2016, 09:27 PM
Pick your flavor.

http://vintageofbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/SanMarcoRollsCombo1_zpsdda3425d.jpg

Bottom one is looking good. Some nice brown turbos out there too.

oldpotatoe
01-16-2016, 06:07 AM

Take rear hub apart, clean pawls, etc and use oil..like Mobil One.

Start position for FD, small ring and biggest cog(lowest gear), inner cage pretty close to chain. Fder about 2mm or so above big ring, height wise. Cable TIGHT. Push thumb button down while you pull on front der cable/tighten fder cable fixing bolt. I adjust inner limit so the chain actually touches inner cage, do above then turn inner limit screw out a wee bit to make sure cable is really tight. Then should be 3 clicks to big ring..enough trim to prevent what you are seeing.

Tickdoc
01-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Take rear hub apart, clean pawls, etc and use oil..like Mobil One.

Start position for FD, small ring and biggest cog(lowest gear), inner cage pretty close to chain. Fder about 2mm or so above big ring, height wise. Cable TIGHT. Push thumb button down while you pull on front der cable/tighten fder cable fixing bolt. I adjust inner limit so the chain actually touches inner cage, do above then turn inner limit screw out a wee bit to make sure cable is really tight. Then should be 3 clicks to big ring..enough trim to prevent what you are seeing.

Thank you, master.

Grasshopper.

Tickdoc
01-16-2016, 09:57 PM
New saddle on the way! Totally going a different direction and I can't wait to hear what the thoughts are when it arrives.

My first purchase where you make an offer for something off eBay. I guess I didn't realize that the seller sets his low already, so it was an instant notification that my offer was accepted.

Disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled rear wheel/hub per old potatoe's recommendation, but I decided to do a little frame touch-up and wait till new tires are here to see if it helps any. Discovered a little rim bend that straightened out nicely, so I'm glad I decided to clean it today. The cane creek volos is a very interesting wheel.

Tickdoc
01-21-2016, 05:38 PM
But I think it is so right!

Presenting what has to be the ugliest saddle in existence......I give you the fizik nicene buffalo hide.....yee haw!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/1F8052F2-1007-47DF-B337-4B25A157424C_zpsicoypyhq.jpg

This one is already well worn, and even though it is technically an mtb saddle, and the color isn't a perfect match for the bar tape.....I love it. I think I now have achieved the Italian "rat rod" look I was going for.

Also sporting some nice gently used king ti cages ( thanks to an unnamed, kind, and quick shipping forum member) new gatorskins, new ultegra pedals, I think the ct-1 is finally ready to ride.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/C810E44B-51A8-42C5-A0E6-93DC92B29800_zpsl54lbzum.jpg

R3awak3n
01-21-2016, 05:50 PM
begging for some tan wall tires. Most people hate gatorskins with a passion, I don't mind them since they serve a purpose (hard to get flats with them) but they are not comfortable tires

jmal
01-21-2016, 06:09 PM
I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I think the brown tape and saddle look bad on an otherwise classic bike. You could have a perfect color match and it would still look off. Having said that, I think bikes are tools and really don't care much about looks, though I am ready for the white/red/black scheme to die.

Mzilliox
01-21-2016, 06:13 PM
My bike is black and gold like this and came with leather stuff. i think it looks weird. Like brown shoes and belt with a black suit... just not my style.

Also, Gatorskins?

Cool bike, ride it hard

Stephen2014
01-21-2016, 06:16 PM
B17 Narrow or Swallow.

Tickdoc
01-21-2016, 06:46 PM
My bike is black and gold like this and came with leather stuff. i think it looks weird. Like brown shoes and belt with a black suit... just not my style.

Also, Gatorskins?

Cool bike, ride it hard

Yes gatorskins. I want to ride this one on our crappy roads without worry. I have a set of veloflex tan walls as well, but saving them for another ride.

kittytrail
01-21-2016, 07:07 PM
intrically shaved buffalo skin looks, mmmm, kinda special-ish but real nice too. :cool:

i'll settle for a genuine synthetic cow hide for mine:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vEHWabB7AAc/VkPJM0WcjYI/AAAAAAAAJNw/ABgbJsvUc9s/s800-Ic42/IMG_4171.jpg

that Volos wheelset is looking good too(as would a black Solos). how do you like them wheels?

Tickdoc
01-21-2016, 07:16 PM
intrically shaved buffalo skin looks, mmmm, kinda special-ish but real nice too. :cool:

i'll settle for a genuine synthetic cow hide for mine:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vEHWabB7AAc/VkPJM0WcjYI/AAAAAAAAJNw/ABgbJsvUc9s/s800-Ic42/IMG_4171.jpg

that Volos wheelset is looking good too(as would a black Solos). how do you like them wheels?

Sadly, only been on one quick ride, but they seem to spin up nice.

Digging the cowhide (and the green) btw

R3awak3n
01-21-2016, 07:32 PM
Yes gatorskins. I want to ride this one on our crappy roads without worry. I have a set of veloflex tan walls as well, but saving them for another ride.

I would try some michelin pro 4s, I don't think I have had more than 1 flat in over a year with these tires. They also ride really well, much much better than gatorskins.

Tickdoc
02-10-2016, 12:12 PM
I think I'm done now.

Thank you mr jojobos for offering up this lovely lightly aged Berthoud. It is the cherry on top of this colnago, and matches the handlebar wrap perfectly!

I know some here will be glad to see the Donald trump impersonating buffalo saddle go...I even tried a nice old selle, but this Berthoud is more than I could hope for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/D5F3085A-DA47-46D3-AFBA-83E693F32816_zps8r2publw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/0918B683-CFED-4C9A-8EB5-1E043C52154E_zpszx51dj5u.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/0684826C-A8E8-4DB8-98CB-921E43B31D03_zpshr7ifckh.jpg

Mzilliox
02-10-2016, 12:20 PM
That saddle is sweet! which model Berthoud is it? I'm on the hunt for one similar.

I think I'm done now.

Thank you mr jojobos for offering up this lovely lightly aged Berthoud. It is the cherry on top of this colnago, and matches the handlebar wrap perfectly!

I know some here will be glad to see the Donald trump impersonating buffalo saddle go...I even tried a nice old selle, but this Berthoud is more than I could hope for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/D5F3085A-DA47-46D3-AFBA-83E693F32816_zps8r2publw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/0918B683-CFED-4C9A-8EB5-1E043C52154E_zpszx51dj5u.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/0684826C-A8E8-4DB8-98CB-921E43B31D03_zpshr7ifckh.jpg

Tickdoc
02-10-2016, 12:29 PM
That saddle is sweet! which model Berthoud is it? I'm on the hunt for one similar.

You know I don't even know, I only know it is their stainless rail model without the cutout.

I haven't ridden it yet, but the measurements of it are great, and it is comfy to sit on at least.

Hopefully will be able to take it out Friday for a test run.

Extremely well made, this saddle is.

Hilltopperny
02-10-2016, 01:13 PM
I bought a galibier which is the ti version of your saddle to put on my concours. I am loving it so far. I also bought a ti swift for my kirk that is also a great but different fit. I have not done any longer rides on the Berthoud yet but was very comfy for the 10 miles I rode on it. The swift ti felt great on a 30 miler. I believe your saddle is the soulor which is the steel railed version of the galibier.

Adam

DRZRM
02-10-2016, 03:17 PM
That looks great, hope the saddle works for you!

sandyrs
02-10-2016, 03:43 PM
I would not have anticipated this working as well as it does- maybe it's the smaller profile of the Berthoud versus a typical Brooks but it isn't an incongruent build at all. Plus that has to be the best leather saddle/leather bar tape match one could ever hope for, wow.

sandyrs
02-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Oh, and given the earlier jibes about Gatorskins- Panaracer Gravel Kings are awesome, tough, nice-riding tires, in case you want any more unsolicited advice on that front :banana:

Tickdoc
02-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Oh, and given the earlier jibes about Gatorskins- Panaracer Gravel Kings are awesome, tough, nice-riding tires, in case you want any more unsolicited advice on that front :banana:

Funny you say that, because a nice set of gumalls would really complete the package.

I think I can squeeze 28's in there.

I really like the look of the soma shokiro ( I think made by panaracer as well) but can find no reviews on them.

I have a set of veloflex gumalls in 25, but I'm saving them for something else.

What I would really like is a gumwalled 27 with a little bite in the tread.

sandyrs
02-10-2016, 04:01 PM
Funny you say that, because a nice set of gumalls would really complete the package.

I think I can squeeze 28's in there.

I really like the look of the soma shokiro ( I think made by panaracer as well) but can find no reviews on them.

I have a set of veloflex gumalls in 25, but I'm saving them for something else.

What I would really like is a gumwalled 27 with a little bite in the tread.

Clement Strada LGG? http://clementcycling.com/strada-lgg-road

Those Somas look cool- might put those on my commuter when my Paselas die.

Hilltopperny
02-10-2016, 06:22 PM

+1 made the switch to gravel kings from gatorskins and will never look back. I also like the paselas which do come with a gumwall.

Tickdoc
02-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Strada lgg v gravelkings v veloflex....v?