PDA

View Full Version : Hey look, cadence with no magnet!

Curve_in
01-15-2016, 11:40 AM
I have not used a cycling computer for a very long time. After reading up on some of the offerings from Wahoo, I decided to give one a try. I use my phone to collect data for post ride analysis. I like the way my bike looks without any extra wires or zipties, so I attached the cadence sensor to my sboe. The first try with the sensor attached to the velcro strap closest to my toe. The readings were very erratic so I moved the sensor to the buckle on the side of my shoe. That position has been working great! I also like that this will work on my other bike too.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160115/928b3feab56f6bebff30ac02cc93ad5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
01-15-2016, 11:47 AM
see, that would annoy me more, to have to remember to clip that thing every time than to just have the magnet on my bike

Curve_in
01-15-2016, 11:51 AM
It's zip tied to my buckle. I could take it off when my foot is not in the shoe, but it's firmly attached when I buckle in.

Lewis Moon
01-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Just buy a round niobium magnet in the correct size, dab a bit of Goo on it and stick it on the inside of the crank, magnetized to the pedal spindle.

apple
01-15-2016, 11:53 AM
I use the garmin one on my bikes that give cadence with no magnet. Same idea as yours, just straps to the NDS crank arm. No magnets, nothing additional, just the sensor on the arm.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garmins-spd-cad-magnetless-sensors.html

Although I have one on each of my bikes, so six in all. Your solution is much cheaper (but also perhaps one more thing to think about before a ride).

ceolwulf
01-15-2016, 12:02 PM
^ I like that one too although I find it a little slow to connect at times. I do wish they would include Bluetooth as well.

mistermo
01-15-2016, 12:18 PM
I like the idea. Who makes this? Wahoo?

gospastic
01-15-2016, 12:21 PM
I prefer my power meter that has built-in cadence :hello:

Fatty
01-15-2016, 12:22 PM
I wish my Sidi's looked like that.

Curve_in
01-15-2016, 12:35 PM
Just buy a round niobium magnet in the correct size, dab a bit of Goo on it and stick it on the inside of the crank, magnetized to the pedal spindle.
There is no magnet, that what I like most.

Curve_in
01-15-2016, 12:37 PM
I like the idea. Who makes this? Wahoo?
It's made by Wahoo. Both ANT and Bluetooth.

Lewis Moon
01-15-2016, 12:52 PM
There is no magnet, that what I like most.

That's what I don't get. If you have a speed sensor, it's best to put it on the rear wheel so that you can use an indoor trainer. The Garmin speed/cadence sensor (which goes on the rear, anyway) is pretty small and the magnet on the back side of the pedal spindle is close to invisible.

mistermo
01-15-2016, 01:21 PM
That's what I don't get. If you have a speed sensor, it's best to put it on the rear wheel so that you can use an indoor trainer. The Garmin speed/cadence sensor (which goes on the rear, anyway) is pretty small and the magnet on the back side of the pedal spindle is close to invisible.
Garmin has new tech without magnets. I have a Garmin speed sensor that goes on the rear wheel, hub actually. The Garmin cadence sensor I have is not a magnet, and attaches to the NDS crank arm via rubber bands. I presume it uses the same tech as this wahoo. What's nice about this Wahoo (and presumably Garmin) solution is that it allows me to have cadence on whichever bike I'm on (via my shoes), without buying multiple Garmin cadence/speed kits. Now, if you have more shoes than bikes, the opposite would be true.

Curve_in
01-15-2016, 01:25 PM
I don't have a speed sensor or any other sensors attached to the bike. The older Wahoo system used a speed/cadence sensor like the Garmin. I just didn't want to put anything on the bike.

unterhausen
01-15-2016, 02:27 PM
I have seen magnet cadence sensors interfere with crank arms. Or rather, the sensor interferes with crank arms. I think the magnet-less systems make a lot of sense.

oldpotatoe
01-15-2016, 03:50 PM

Side note, had a customer who had the bright idea of putting a really strong magnet inside the pedal spindle for cadence....and no flats on pedal but 6mm Allen, now plugged by magnet....no get pedal off ever. Don't do that.

ceolwulf
01-15-2016, 04:06 PM
So who's going to be the first clever shoe manufacturer to offer built in cadence sensors?

thirdgenbird
01-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Side note, had a customer who had the bright idea of putting a really strong magnet inside the pedal spindle for cadence....and no flats on pedal but 6mm Allen, now plugged by magnet....no get pedal off ever. Don't do that.

I run look pedals with no flats. The axles are chromoly so no glue or adheasive is needed. The magnet sticks to a hex driver much better than the axle so it comes right out when you need it.