PDA

View Full Version : Missouri legislator calls for giant fluorescent bike flags

mcteague
01-15-2016, 10:15 AM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/missouri-legislator-calls-giant-fluorescent-bike-flags_392927

This should be fun!

Tim

unterhausen
01-15-2016, 10:18 AM
why do I smell corruption and passive-aggressive road rage all rolled up into one?

I would make it stick out into traffic. "sorry officer, required by law"

MattTuck
01-15-2016, 10:19 AM
The stupidity of politicians never ceases to amaze me.

bcroslin
01-15-2016, 10:20 AM
The stupidity of politicians never ceases to amaze me.

more like the stupidity of voters....

Lewis Moon
01-15-2016, 10:32 AM
more like the stupidity of voters....

Indeed. As someone said: "Elections have consequences". If you elect idiots, why would you expect anything but idiocy? Someone here needs to start marketing the big, orange flags with a giant middle finger on it.

bicycletricycle
01-15-2016, 10:41 AM
I wonder how many deaths 15ft flags would prevent/cause?

AngryScientist
01-15-2016, 10:43 AM
this is awesome. take that aero madness!

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2016/01/OrangeFlag-copy-660x440.jpg

fiamme red
01-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Mike Friedman used to train with one.

http://nyvelocity.com/articles/interviews/mike-friedman/

schmalz: Can you please keep using the orange training flag on your bike? Maybe you can start wearing a reflective vest and a helmet rear view mirror also?

Friedman: Ha, I used the Flag so that drivers could see me when riding and training on Coumadin (blood thinner/anticoagulant). Isn't Argyle enough? What about my License Plate? Actually the flag was sweet. When I would do some group rides and go a bit hard on the front, the flag would bend over from the wind into the rider behind me, eventually causing him to sit back further out of the draft. Is there a rule saying I couldn't race with it? I'm game if there isn't.http://nyvelocity.com/wp-content/uploads/friedman03.jpg

Red Tornado
01-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Seems like I would have to be approaching from very far away to have the 15-ft flag visible at "normal" eye height (for me). Maybe that's his intention?

If there are corners or other things that obscure your long range vision, would the flag that high be useless in closer car/bike distances?

What effects would the flag that high have on the bike/rider in high winds?

How does that 15-ft height work when considering bridges/overhangs/power lines/trees & the like?

These are a few of things that came to mind.

Wonder if he and/or his staff thought this through all the way - or heaven forbid, asked a cyclist or cycling attorney? The very sort of person that could get stuck using this apparatus.

Oh, and Friedman's bike flag in the photo isn't 15-ft off the ground. 8-10 ft maybe?

PFSLABD
01-15-2016, 12:24 PM
why do I smell corruption and passive-aggressive road rage all rolled up into one?

I would make it stick out into traffic. "sorry officer, required by law"

All it does is create a target to shoot for by inattentive motorists talking on cell phones.

PFSLABD
01-15-2016, 12:25 PM
this is awesome. take that aero madness!

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2016/01/OrangeFlag-copy-660x440.jpg

There go all the time trial records.

PFSLABD
01-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Indeed. As someone said: "Elections have consequences". If you elect idiots, why would you expect anything but idiocy? Someone here needs to start marketing the big, orange flags with a giant middle finger on it.

I bet the guy isn't even a cyclist.

fuzzalow
01-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Which scarlet letter is emblazoned on the flag?

Tony T
01-15-2016, 12:54 PM
"Jay Houghton is on Twitter, and, like all politicians, welcomes feedback from the general population." https://twitter.com/JayDHoughton

Louis
01-15-2016, 01:16 PM
I'll gladly do this, as soon as everyone with a concealed weapons permit has to always use a 3 foot "BANG !!!" flag sticking out of the barrel of their gun.

brownhound
01-15-2016, 01:24 PM
I live in MO and wrote my local house representative asking her to oppose. Other MO residents should do the same. http://www.house.mo.gov/legislatorlookup.aspx

I can't imagine a State Representative gets too many constituent requests on particular bills, so weighing to your local rep should have an out-sized effect. I used to work on the hill in DC and their offices exist largely to track what their constituents think and want.

Louis
01-15-2016, 01:35 PM
I used to work on the hill in DC and their offices exist largely to track what their constituents think and want.

BH, I have to wonder if this is truly the case. Based on how blatantly biased both the questions and multiple-choice answers are on the polls I receive in the mail from my representatives (and this isn't push-polling stuff, this is legitimate mailings from my elected politicians) it's clear to me that nearly all have little interest in accurately understanding what their constituents believe across the spectrum.

brockd15
01-15-2016, 02:23 PM
The size of that thing!

Maybe he's using the 'ol overshoot technique where he proposes a big, ridiculous flag and "compromises" by shrinking it to a slightly less ridiculous size.

unterhausen
01-15-2016, 02:23 PM
BH, I have to wonder if this is truly the case. Based on how blatantly biased both the questions and multiple-choice answers are on the polls I receive in the mail from my representatives (and this isn't push-polling stuff, this is legitimate mailings from my elected politicians) it's clear to me that nearly all have little interest in accurately understanding what their constituents believe across the spectrum.

push-polling is a well understood technique of shaping public opinion. I don't know why you would expect them to using their franking privilege in an unbiased form. I subscribe to my senator's email list, he is always pushing lies about one thing or another.

rwsaunders
01-15-2016, 02:29 PM
I'll ride with my flag at half mast when this fine gent is tossed out of office.

brownhound
01-15-2016, 03:17 PM

Oh, they care. They may not change how they vote based on it, but they follow what their constituents think. That's one reason there is so little turn-over in office -- they're following it so closely they never take a principled or controversial stand. Also why some issues can't be fixed (social security, guns, immigration): because huge blocks of concerned citizens bombard their offices with mailings that essentially ensure the status quo.

Of course, whatever partisan group helped sculpt the questions hoped and intended to get a set of answers that confirmed their position and can be used to get the rep to do what the group wants.

buldogge
01-15-2016, 04:35 PM
There's little to no surprise...He a db from rural Missourah.

Some farmer constituent of his complained about a bike slowing him down on some far-flung rolling country road.

Welcome to Missouri politics where a small percentage of the population (and $$$) try to (quite successfully at times, unfortunately) run the entire state into the ground...

Mark in St. Louis

Louis
01-15-2016, 04:44 PM
Well, one thing we can say in his favor, unlike that guy in St Charles County a while back, at least he isn't trying to ban cyclists from the roads.

smontanaro
01-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Well, one thing we can say in his favor, unlike that guy in St Charles County a while back, at least he isn't trying to ban cyclists from the roads.
I believe he was a co-sponsor of that other bill.

In the past few days I read something which said that many bills are introduced with no expectation they will become law. More likely it's some sort of dog whistle for certain constituents.

idrinkwater
01-16-2016, 08:08 PM
It makes me wonder whether drivers would inadvertently steer towards it. Jan talks about not using a bright blinky because it's like a target for drivers. I know, however, that some people take his words with grains of salt.

Louis
01-16-2016, 10:12 PM
It makes me wonder whether drivers would inadvertently steer towards it. Jan talks about not using a bright blinky because it's like a target for drivers. I know, however, that some people take his words with grains of salt.

I'll believe that when the highway patrol turn their car's flashing lights off as they pull someone over.