PDA

View Full Version : Will these brake levers work with AVID road calipers?

d_douglas
01-14-2016, 08:13 PM
I have a set of Aviid BB7 road calipers and these Speed Dial 2.0L levers - will they work together?

I currently use Ritchey Logic brake levers on my commuter with the same brakes and they work great - now I want to do the same thing on my buddys bike, but want to ensure that they work properly.

Thanks for your expert feedback!

eddief
01-14-2016, 08:19 PM
is which model of disc brakes work with normal road integrated shifter / brifter levers. Pictured levers should pull either model of disc brakes...pretty sure on that.

d_douglas
01-14-2016, 08:32 PM
They are the road calipers. Basically, do these levers work perfectly with standard road rim brakes?

If yes, then we have a match.

hokoman
01-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Those are long pull brake levers. You need to find old canti levers or get some Paul canti levers - although getting mtn bb7s on the used market is cheaper.

bicycletricycle
01-14-2016, 09:45 PM
no, those are long pull levers

d_douglas
01-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Ok ladies and gents, let's simplify this thing:

Will these brake levers work CORRECTLY with an Ultegra sidepull brake caliper? I know it can be fudged, but will it work correctly ? I am considering using them on my friends commuter with which he pulls his 3yr old to daycare - for context. It has to work correctly.

Thanks!

kramnnim
01-14-2016, 10:37 PM
No, they will only work with linear pull brakes, or MTB disc calipers.

kramnnim
01-14-2016, 10:39 PM
If you used them, it would take a lot of hand pressure to stop, compared to the correct brake levers.

Marburg
01-14-2016, 11:20 PM
Stop the presses. If those are Speed Dial levers, such that the bolt head down at the bottom of the picture moves the bit that holds the end of the brake cable, then YES.

Like this:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi166.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fu1 18%2FMelSobrante%2FP1000362.jpg&f=1

Move the end of the brake cable closer to the pivot point. Less travel. More leverage. Profit.

kramnnim
01-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Yes, but would it be enough leverage? For you or I, sure, but when it is for a friend and his child...

d_douglas
01-15-2016, 12:00 AM
Ok, I assume they are Speed Dial (SD2.0?) so I will check them tomorrow .

My buddy is a big strong guy who rides daily now, so that's not the issue. Its merely whether these two parts are perfectly compatible.

Thanks again....

bicycletricycle
01-15-2016, 12:23 AM
They don't go down far enough to work well, at least as well as the proper levers.

d_douglas
01-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Curses. Oh well.

On the same note, can I use interruptor levers as standard brake levers? Theres no reason why not, right? They're a bit flimsy, I know.

OR< does anyone want to trade some EXC-mintish road BB7 calipers for equivalent MTN BB7 calipers?

bicycletricycle
01-15-2016, 03:50 PM
also, its not like they won't work at all, if you wire them up they will work good enough to get you on the road.

kramnnim
01-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Should be pretty easy to find brake levers that will work. I think I still have some that haven't already been given away...

benb
01-15-2016, 04:12 PM
I have some very lightly used Cane Creek flat bar levers that I had posted in the Classifieds a while ago that are *not* long pull and would work for you if that is really what you need. I had a little interest but the issue is again they have to work for what a given person needs.

Pull ratio for mechanical discs doesn't make a lot of sense to me one way or the other.. required pull seems like it could go either way since there's a bunch of ways to design the caliper.

I'd have to go find the post but I still have them, they still look brand new, and I wasn't asking much money for them. (And my wife would love to see bike parts disappear as I have definitely been on an acquisition binge.)

Marburg
01-15-2016, 11:19 PM
OK, OK, I'll accept the consensus that you can't dial the speed dials low enough. Personally, I'd guess if you were to dial them all the way in, they'd work fine, but hey, why take chances with brakes.

Come to think of it, I have a pair of Shimano flat bar levers which would also work with road brakes, if it furthers the project.

oldpotatoe
01-16-2016, 06:28 AM
Curses. Oh well.

On the same note, can I use interruptor levers as standard brake levers? Theres no reason why not, right? They're a bit flimsy, I know.

OR< does anyone want to trade some EXC-mintish road BB7 calipers for equivalent MTN BB7 calipers?

Yes you can. Cable end into these levers rather than cable thru levers from brake lever to brake.

kramnnim
01-16-2016, 07:22 AM
Interrupter levers would have a larger clamp diameter than flat bar, though, right?

d_douglas
01-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Interrupter levers would have a larger clamp diameter than flat bar, though, right?

Good point! Ooops.

Sure, if anyone has photos of other options, I am game to have a look.

All I know is that I use the same brake calipers and vintage Ritchey Logic brake levers from the 90s and the setup is dead on and powerful. I use them everyday!

kramnnim
01-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Cheapo option- http://www.amazon.com/XLC-Alloy-Finger-Canti-Brake-Silver/dp/B002NNE2II

Nicer... http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BL-R550-Canti-Caliper-Flat-Bar/dp/B001KHBJ16/

Probably lots of cool old MTB levers on eBay. Just have to make sure they predate the change to linear pull brakes.