PDA

View Full Version : Question about Shimano cassette campatability

Ralph
01-14-2016, 01:48 PM
I'm a Campy guy....don't know much about Shimano stuff.

Have a friend with a nice Road bike and Shimano Ultegra 10 group, 34-50 short cage RD, etc....and he wants to run a 10's cassette with a 32 cog. I can put a 10's Ultegra med cage RD on it with new chain, etc....to work with bigger cog cassette, but can we use the Shimano Mtn bike 11-32 cassette ok? Does the Mtn Bike cassette work OK on a road wheel?

Other option is to use the 10's 12-30 road cassette with his short cage RD, if it will or not, and I can check to see if the short cage will work with the 32, and I know how to do that, but imagine med cage gives better shifting on both 30 or 32 cog cassette. Mainly just need to know if mountain bike cassette works OK on a Shimano road wheel assuming we get the RD right. This is for 10's. Thanks

rnhood
01-14-2016, 02:01 PM
You should move up to Shimano and discover the real joy of cycling :)

Yes, a 10s mtb cassette will work like a clock. That's what I use when cycling the mountains. It shifts perfectly well. Of note is that the 1mm spacer used on Shimano 9/10 wheelsets is not required when using the mtb cassette. It is required when using the regular road cassettes.

bikedude
01-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Just be careful to make sure rear derailleur can accommodate your larger ring size and change the chain to also accommodate for sizing issues.

franswa
01-14-2016, 02:30 PM
You should move up to Shimano and discover the real joy of cycling :)

Yes, a 10s mtb cassette will work like a clock. That's what I use when cycling the mountains. It shifts perfectly well. Of note is that the 1mm spacer used on Shimano 9/10 wheelsets is not required when using the mtb cassette. It is required when using the regular road cassettes.

This is good info to know. Appreciate it.

Look585
01-14-2016, 02:37 PM
I run a 48-34 with a 11-34 rear on my gravel bike. That's with a short cage RD (but a long-drop hanger).

Try to find a 6700A rear mech, designed for the 30t cassette, easily pushed to 32 even with a short derailleur hanger.