PDA

View Full Version : Source for Columbus Minimal 1" Fork that is NOT Wiggle?

eBAUMANN
01-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Anyone know of somewhere else to buy this thing?

Not interested in paying DHL import duties...

druptight
01-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Ceeway carries the Columbus range of carbon forks, although doesn't help you with the UK part of the equation if that's your issue with Wiggle:

http://www.framebuilding.com/carbon%20forks.htm

Could also be worth a call to Nova Cycles since they import Columbus stuff to see if they could get their hands on one for you?

EDIT: Looks like Ceeway uses Fedex for international shipping which is included in the fork price on their site, if that helps.

ANAO
01-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Eric

Recently picked up a couple of Columbus Grammy forks from Planet X USA, where I DID pay shipping from England, but not import fees.

Perhaps try there?

druptight
01-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Eric

Recently picked up a couple of Columbus Grammy forks from Planet X USA, where I DID pay shipping from England, but not import fees.

Perhaps try there?

I checked their site, only have the Curve in 1 1/8 steerer and Grammy in 1.5 steerer. Although calling them may help?

ANAO
01-14-2016, 01:43 PM
I checked their site, only have the Curve in 1 1/8 steerer and Grammy in 1.5 steerer. Although calling them may help?

Maybe.

Guess I must have gotten lucky. My friend and I picked up tapered forks for our new builds with 44mm HT.

Much excite.
Such anticipation
wow

rain dogs
01-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Look at my post count... why? Because I self-censor very often. Maybe this should be one.

DHL and Wiggle are not the source of duties. The American government is the source of duties - it's an import tariff. A protectionist strategy in the unfreed market. DHL just happens to diligently charge it because they provide such a good, fast and secure service and they do the importation themselves - so they are obligated to process the tariff or be punished/fined by US customs and immigration.

The intersting thing is, USPS (and the affiliated forwarding service such as Royal Mail) hands it off to the gov't who is often to lazy to do the processing, but that's not the law. The law is duties should be applied against all tariff qualifying goods to "protect America"

If someone doesn't want duties then they should buy the product from within the US. But it's more expensive? That's cause that LBS had to pay the duties!

I know this doesn't help Eric, and I'm sure you know this Eric, and it might even frustrate you (and I don't mean that) but lots of people don't know this. They think DHL just charges the duty against their free rights (they do charge a processing fee of like $12 to do pages of paperwork)

If someone doesn't like the duties vote for a party that supports free trade. If someone else doesn't like the concept of free trade, and a free market... then pay the duties or buy it from an LBS who already had to pay them.

eBAUMANN
01-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Look at my post count... why? Because I self-censor very often. Maybe this should be one.

DHL and Wiggle are not the source of duties. The American government is the source of duties - it's an import tariff. A protectionist strategy in the unfreed market. DHL just happens to diligently charge it because they provide such a good, fast and secure service and they do the importation themselves - so they are obligated to process the tariff or be punished/fined by US customs and immigration.

The intersting thing is, USPS (and the affiliated forwarding service such as Royal Mail) hands it off to the gov't who is often to lazy to do the processing, but that's not the law. The law is duties should be applied against all tariff qualifying goods to "protect America"

If someone doesn't want duties then they should buy the product from within the US. But it's more expensive? That's cause that LBS had to pay the duties!

I know this doesn't help Eric, and I'm sure you know this Eric, and it might even frustrate you (and I don't mean that) but lots of people don't know this. They think DHL just charges the duty against their free rights (they do charge a processing fee of like $12 to do pages of paperwork)

If someone doesn't like the duties vote for a party that supports free trade. If someone else doesn't like the concept of free trade, and a free market... then pay the duties or buy it from an LBS who already had to pay them.

great, thanks for the info, i wouldnt be complaining about duties if there was ANY other source for these forks outside the UK, but there isnt.

know of a shop that caries these forks in 1"? if so, please post their contact info here...thats why i created this thread.

if not, dont criticize me for using the resources at my disposal (the internet) to find the part im looking for.

rain dogs
01-14-2016, 02:38 PM
if not, dont criticize me for using the resources at my disposal (the internet) to find the part im looking for.

Where did I criticize you or anyone? :confused: I tried to explain a commonly misunderstood aspect of importations.

Marinoni sells it in 1" (or did recently). Call them.

velotel
01-14-2016, 02:39 PM
I found this place when looking for a 1-inch fork for a friend who doesn't speak english. I called them, nice people, seem to know their stuff, also have all that someone might need (as in spacers, etc.).
http://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/columbus-minimal-vintage-1-monocoque-fork

eBAUMANN
01-14-2016, 02:47 PM

I consider this you criticizing me as that "someone" because I stated above that I didnt want to buy from somewhere that used DHL because I didnt want to pay their duties.

Im not opposed to paying more than wiggle is selling it for, but I am having a hell of a time finding a place in the US that even sells the fork...

Lewis Moon
01-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Where did I criticize you or anyone? :confused: I tried to explain a commonly misunderstood aspect of importations.

Marinoni sells it in 1" (or did recently). Call them.

Really don't want you to self sensor (God knows we need intelligent discourse here) but I got that vibe from your post, too.

rain dogs
01-14-2016, 02:54 PM
I consider this you criticizing me as that "someone" because I stated above that I didnt want to buy from somewhere that used DHL because I didnt want to pay their duties.

Im not opposed to paying more than wiggle is selling it for, but I am having a hell of a time finding a place in the US that even sells the fork...

That's a criticism? :confused:

I don't know how else to say that if a private person wants to make the private decision to not directly be subject to import duties enforced by their government, on say, said Columbus fork, the other option is to buy the same Columbus fork from within their country (although that cost may reflect the duties and be pricier... but there are sales).

Or buy from Marinoni in Canada, where I bought the same fork.

Really don't want you to self sensor (God knows we need intelligent discourse here) but I got that vibe from your post, too.

Well, there you go. Maybe I'm just a bad communicator, cheers. :beer:

christian
01-14-2016, 02:58 PM
DHL and Wiggle are not the source of duties. The American government is the source of duties - it's an import tariff. A protectionist strategy in the unfreed market. DHL just happens to diligently charge it because they provide such a good, fast and secure service and they do the importation themselves - so they are obligated to process the tariff or be punished/fined by US customs and immigration.I don't mind paying duties. What I do mind is that DHL charges usurous customs clearing charges, and often pays duties on items that are not dutiable. For instance, bicycle cranks are not dutiable (HTS 8714.96.50). Yet DHL claims to pay duty on them... and charges you a customs clearing charge.

buldogge
01-14-2016, 03:01 PM
How about an Italian source? With the current exchange rate, should be a decent price.

http://www.ciclicorsa.com/en/negozio/minimal/

-Mark in St. Louis

buldogge
01-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Exactly...DHL/FedEx/UPS all own their own customs brokerages and levy duties/fees automatically AND regardless of whether they are owed (or even eventually paid perhaps).

They are pre-clearancing and you're paying for the privilege.

-Mark

I don't mind paying duties. What I do mind is that DHL charges usurous customs clearing charges, and often pays duties on items that are not dutiable. For instance, bicycle cranks are not dutiable (HTS 8714.96.50). Yet DHL claims to pay duty on them... and charges you a customs clearing charge.

eBAUMANN
01-14-2016, 03:06 PM
How about an Italian source? With the current exchange rate, should be a decent price.

http://www.ciclicorsa.com/en/negozio/minimal/

-Mark in St. Louis

comparable price to wiggle...but it looks like they also ship via DHL.

rain dogs
01-14-2016, 03:07 PM
I don't mind paying duties. What I do mind is that DHL charges usurous customs clearing charges, and often pays duties on items that are not dutiable. For instance, bicycle cranks are not dutiable (HTS 8714.96.50). Yet DHL claims to pay duty on them... and charges you a customs clearing charge.

I don't work for DHL, so sure. I'll trust that. But you can file a claim to get the money back if they make a mistake (which admittedly is a hassle). But the code comes from the harminozied tariff schedule - https://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/index.htm . DHL can't charge a tariff that doesn't exist. And you only pay the processing fee (~$12) if there is a tariff.

But again. The duty is American. It's not from the UK, Italy, DHL, Correos, Italian mail. If you aren't charged then it's your lucky day, but one should expect to be charged on duty applicable items if it's coming from outside the US... Italy included.

Canada (Marinoni) and Mexico excepted because of NAFTA.

Anyway that's enough from me. I just tried to provide info and appear to have failed.

buldogge
01-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Negative...no direct experience.

Sorry.

-Mark

comparable price to wiggle...any idea how they ship?

buldogge
01-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Eric...If you look under their terms/conditions they seem to be willing to use EMS to ship.

I would shoot them an email.

-Mark

eBAUMANN
01-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Negative...no direct experience.

Sorry.

-Mark

just noticed it said DHL when i went to checkout...oh well.
thanks anyways!

bfd
01-14-2016, 03:16 PM

Your LBS should be able to get this fork from Torelli:

http://torelli.com/parts/carbon-forks/columbus-minimal-fork.html

Btw, I bought my 1" minimal fork from Wiggle a couple of years ago and have had no problems with it.

Also, there's a place called bike wagon that has the fork for less:

http://www.bikewagon.com/columbus-minimal-fork-carbon-1

I've never used them, so YMMV!

Good Luck!

mhespenheide
01-14-2016, 03:25 PM
I've had good experiences with lower-priced items from Bikewagon.

R3awak3n
01-14-2016, 03:40 PM
I bought a stem from bikewagon and had no problems whatsoever.

velotel
01-14-2016, 04:05 PM

Btw, I bought my 1" minimal fork from Wiggle a couple of years ago and have had no problems with it.

Good Luck!
There's a french shop that has them at about 210$ but unfortunately none in stock. The price at bike wagon is cheaper than the shop in the UK by a little.

christian
01-14-2016, 04:44 PM
I don't work for DHL, so sure. I'll trust that. But you can file a claim to get the money back if they make a mistake (which admittedly is a hassle). But the code comes from the harminozied tariff schedule - https://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/index.htm . DHL can't charge a tariff that doesn't exist. And you only pay the processing fee (~$12) if there is a tariff. 100% agree with everything you say. The reason I provided the HTS code was to prove that cranks are non-dutiable.

The fundamental problem is that DHL appears to claim to pay tariffs and charge customs clearing fees on non-dutiable items as a matter of course. Yes, you can challenge them and probably get your money back in due time, but the easier course of action is to avoid DHL as a shipper.

eBAUMANN
01-14-2016, 05:07 PM

Good Luck!

bikewagon is great!
thanks for suggesting them! hadnt looked there yet.

merckx
01-14-2016, 05:29 PM
What % can one expect to pay for a duty on bicycle parts?

druptight
01-14-2016, 09:17 PM
bikewagon is great!
thanks for suggesting them! hadnt looked there yet.

Agreed, sadly based on the Q&A below the item, appears to be a discontinued item. Marinoni might be worth a shot...

jmeloy
01-14-2016, 10:01 PM
I've had good experiences with lower-priced items from Bikewagon.

Ditto, just recently.

eBAUMANN
01-14-2016, 10:16 PM
What % can one expect to pay for a duty on bicycle parts?

i paid nearly $50 for a $300 fork last i order from wiggle.

never again.

unterhausen
01-14-2016, 10:28 PM
the duty isn't bad at all, it's the brokerage fees that make the UPS, DHL, and FEDEX so expensive to use. Another post on here said a fork should be taxed at 3.9 percent

ultraman6970
01-15-2016, 12:02 AM
Did you tell them to send it royal mail or they are sending stuff like that by dhl???

I would send them an email asking if you get the fork will be sent by royal mail or dhl.

I have ordered twice from willge and all the time the stuff was sent by royal mail, I did not checked I wanted rush or anything expensive like dhl at the time of checking out.

i paid nearly $50 for a $300 fork last i order from wiggle.

never again.

eBAUMANN
01-15-2016, 12:17 AM
Did you tell them to send it royal mail or they are sending stuff like that by dhl???

I would send them an email asking if you get the fork will be sent by royal mail or dhl.

I have ordered twice from willge and all the time the stuff was sent by royal mail, I did not checked I wanted rush or anything expensive like dhl at the time of checking out.

It was shipped free, they picked dhl. I think maybe it depends on package size or something.

ultraman6970
01-15-2016, 12:46 AM
Thats what I was thinking, send them an email and ask. Even better... call them to ask if they can ship it royal mail or the royal mail version of usps priority?

druptight
01-15-2016, 08:13 AM
The Ceeway option is Fedex - not sure if it's better than DHL, but if you read their shipping information, dependent upon size/weight of item they'll send USPS too - they just say it can take forever for it to clear customs so you're doing it at your own risk of time if you go that route.

http://www.framebuilding.com/points__of__note.htm

USA & Canada

In general we send via courier, normally Fedex, prices start at 」16.50 for up to 1 kg. Other example prices, 」33 for 5 kg, or 」59 for 15 kg. We will quote a firm price on enquiry based on the order you are interested in. Transit time for courier is normally around 3 working days. For lower weight packages (<1.5 kg) and for low goods values (<」30) we can, on your request, send by air post (USPS) at a cheaper cost than by courier, however delivery times by this method can be unreliable even though the service is quoted as 'air', with 30+ day deliveries feasible because of customs and homeland security checks.

The fork price already includes cost of the courrier shipping and it's probably under 1.5kg, so you might get them to send it air post, possibly even at a reduced cost.

dave thompson
01-15-2016, 08:51 AM
Exactly...DHL/FedEx/UPS all own their own customs brokerages and levy duties/fees automatically AND regardless of whether they are owed (or even eventually paid perhaps).

They are pre-clearancing and you're paying for the privilege.

-Mark

Mark is correct. A few years ago I bought 2 Serottas from a gent in England. They were shipped to me in Spokane via UPS, which when I went to their depot to pick them up told me that I owed some $400 duties. I had two days worth of verbal excercise with various levels of UPS personnel showing them that Serotta was an American brand and no duties were called for. Even when I proved my point, they were reluctant to refund my money.

hollowgram5
03-26-2016, 08:01 AM
If you are still lookiing for one, I went back and forth with Lon at Nova Cycle Supply about a year ago looking for one since he's a Columbus importer to the US.

He wanted $207, but I ended up scoring a NOS Easton EC90 so it fell off my radar.

Rada
03-26-2016, 11:05 AM
the duty isn't bad at all, it's the brokerage fees that make the UPS, DHL, and FEDEX so expensive to use. Another post on here said a fork should be taxed at 3.9 percent

An $11 broker fee is expensive? Any idea exactly what a broker has to do to clear a shipment?

tumbler
03-26-2016, 02:04 PM
This shouldn't be an issue now with the new $800 duty-free exemption.

acorn_user
03-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Just as an extraq data point, UPS whopped me with a big customs bill when I received my frames back from a Marinoni re-spray. Still worth it to get them re-sprayed and to see the place, though.