PDA

View Full Version : Best wishes to VAV

pinkshogun
01-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Vinny is having all 4 wisdom teeth out today

William
01-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Good luck Big Guy!

After the grogginess wears off....a good ride will make you feel better! :)

William

bicycletricycle
01-14-2016, 10:44 AM
holy crap, godspeed

ultraman6970
01-14-2016, 11:37 AM
If the dude is sedated, then is not like big of a deal, easier for the dentist to work too.

Fatty
01-14-2016, 11:52 AM
Oral surgeon or dentist?
A dentist pulled mine, used a big blue pliers that looked a lot like a channel locks brand, blue handle and all.
One of them was impacted and had a cavity. The crown broke off when the doctor was pulling it. Took 45 minutes to get it out. Good times.

cmbicycles
01-14-2016, 12:00 PM
I "remember" having five removed back in high school... done under general to get the 5th out. I think I was extra wise since I had 5, or maybe Im extra foolish now... probably the latter.

I was groggy for the rest of the day but ok thereafter. Wishing a speedy recovery.

Tickdoc
01-14-2016, 12:06 PM
hope it all comes out well and here's to a speedy recovery. I'm a dentist and trust me, he'll be wiser for it ;~)

benb
01-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Had all 4 out at once (2 impacted) under General Anesthesia at the Oral Surgeon when I was on spring break my freshman year of college.

Worst part was the Percocet/Oxywhatever/Vicodin/whatever that was the "strong med". I hated how those made me feel so much that I only took one and just did Advil after that.

Got dry heaves when I woke up from the Anesthesia too, that was a ton of fun. The weirdest part is I was out for several hours but when I work up I thought 0 time had passed and they hadn't even done anything. That was the only time I've ever been knocked out so maybe that's normal? I've had "twilight anesthesia" and that was totally different.. pretty much, "we're going to get you high and you're not going to care what we're doing."

That said after about 24 hours I don't really remember it being terribly bad. I was super super paranaoid about getting an infection or something once I got back to school and I was very careful for at least a month. I remember lying on the couch and watching Pulp Fiction the next day while I was kind of zonked. It made the movie even more memorable.

JAllen
01-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Oy vey! Sedation and pain meds will be your best friend.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

bikerboy337
01-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Hope you heal quickly! Good news is while your out of it this weekend there is lots of good football (and other sports) on TV to keep you occupied...

Go Pats!

bluesea
01-14-2016, 04:45 PM
Lidocaine /w epinephrine...a buzz like none other.

Dead Man
01-14-2016, 04:48 PM
All mine fit, and none have rotted out... so despite having TWO different dentists recommend I have them pulled (for what?), I have opted to keep them.

At least the guy has a good couple days of legal opiate abuse to look forward to, eh??

ultraman6970
01-14-2016, 06:43 PM
The reason to take them out is because if you have a cavity or some crap going on in one of those back pieces, the dentist wont have room to fix them.

dave thompson
01-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Tequila! You'll still hurt but you won't care.

wc1934
01-14-2016, 08:17 PM
Get well soon VAV.

etu
01-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Ouch. Good luck and a quick recovery. The most pain I ever had was after I developed an abscess after the extraction because I wasn't careful enough. Not that you wanted to hear that story.
Oh, I also ran into a parked on my bike a couple days afterwards too. Just wasn't a happy period of my life, but hopefully yours will be less eventful.

vav
01-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys. It actually went really well. I went in at 8 am and was out the office (oral surgeon who is a very good friend of mine ) by 8:45.
Haven't taken a single pain pill and swelling is minimal (no ice either)

The best part was the home made split pea pur馥 by my 85 yo grandma ;)

velotrack
01-14-2016, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys. It actually went really well. I went in at 8 am and was out the office (oral surgeon who is a very good friend of mine ) by 8:45.

Hold on - 45 minutes?
No way. How many did they extract?

Funny story. I sold a frame to a guy on craigslist (Chas Christiansen, one of the dudes from Mash if the name sounds familiar). Told him some of the money would be going towards paying for my wisdom tooth removal. I then mentioned that I'd probably just save a few hundred bucks and do the operation awake (with local anesthesia instead of knocked out completely). He insisted that I get put to sleep for the operation - said when he was doing it, there was some issue with his teeth that required his doctor climbing over him to get more leverage to break out a piece of the tooth. There was local anesthesia on him too, but he still felt it all happening to him, and he said if he'd gone back he woulda paid the extra 500 or so. Still a lot of money so I'm not sure. Anyways, got a good laugh out of his story. That's what I think about everytime someone mentions wisdom teeth... :p

pdmtong
01-14-2016, 11:22 PM

Great news!

That was also my experience - had all four out when I was 18.

started counting down from ten, thought no way I fall asleep, next thing I know my mom is driving me home.

I was out in an hour, and other than the anesthesia wearing off, it was like it nothing happened.

quite a contrast to the horror stories I hear.

ultraman6970
01-14-2016, 11:56 PM
Told you was going to be quick. 100% sedation cost a lot more but worth every penny in this type of things, doctor says bye bye to you, then he opens your mouth, crack the pieces and pulls them out quick, with almost no damage, thats why VAV pretty much is in perfect condition. Tomorrow morning VAV will be eating normally, continue taking the antibiotics (in case they gave you some).

Louis
01-15-2016, 12:18 AM
In my case (this was about 25 years ago) I decided to have all four taken out at the same time under local anesthetic. Everything went fine and it was a total non-event. I seem to recall that one of them took a bit longer than the others, but I was surprised how quickly it all happened. The worst part was all the blood and saliva building up in my mouth as I drove to the drugstore to buy whatever it was they had prescribed. I didn't want to pull over by the side of the highway so I kept driving...

In fact, the whole thing was such a success that a few years later when I needed a filling I asked my dentist (different guy from the oral surgeon who did the extractions) if he thought I could make it without any anesthetic, local of otherwise, and he said "probably, I shouldn't be affecting the nerve or anything like that" so we went that route. There really wasn't much pain at all, and I didn't have to deal with rubber-gums.

If I was the least bit representative of most folks, then I'd say there really isn't much need for general anesthetic on extractions, unless you have some complicating factors.

Muffin Man
01-15-2016, 01:08 AM
I got all four of mine out, and both of the bottom ones got crazy infected. My face swelled up like twice its normal size, and I wasn't able to eat anything for a week. Lost 20 lbs, and I've keep it off for the last 4 months now, so that's kinda cool.

Laughing gas is pretty chillin

ultraman6970
01-15-2016, 06:16 AM
Break your jaw and you will be forced to lose weight :D