PDA

View Full Version : Headset compatibility questions

d_douglas
01-14-2016, 12:19 AM
Forgive me for being an idiot, but would a headset like this work on a standard old schoolish 1 1/8th frame and fork? My previous headset was the ubiquitous king black nothreadset for reference.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bop/5345933628.html

I need a new, affordable headset and this one is local. It sounds like it would fit, but a red flag is coming up for some reason.....

Thanks for your feedback!

ultraman6970
01-14-2016, 01:34 AM
Probably wont work, the C-king you had is a 1 1/8 regular headset, non threaded, the one in the picture is a semi integrated 1 1/8, basically is like a integrated headset but with cups. The headset in the picture is a zero stack, zero stack and regular 1 1/8 are totally different headsets. Even I believe the cup OD is different too. even if you try to put it in it wont fit.

You need a regular 1 1/8 (if Im imagine the right c-k headset) non threaded headset...

jzisk
01-14-2016, 05:05 AM
Zero stack is just the height of cups and top (sort of a "fake" integrated)-- still a simple 1-1/8 threadless, and it should work well for you. Check the numbers on the side of the box against CK spec's for what you have (the numbers look like a normal threadless), using CK's site if you don't have your numbers. The 44 is your headtube inside diameter, and that's a "normal" number, and the 30.015 is your crown race inside diameter, which I don't remember "normal" for, but the 'net or CK will tell you. The stack height is what makes this "Zero Stack" and it's mechanically irrelevant-- you can use spacers to get your existing bar height back again. IE-- Should be OK but double check the numbers.

bumknees
01-14-2016, 05:54 AM
I think you are mistaken. That zero stack headset has cups for a headtube w/ a 44mm inner diameter. Frames that take "traditional" 1 1/8 threadless headsets have headtubes with ~ 34mm inner diameter. The cups for that headset won't fit.

oldpotatoe
01-14-2016, 06:03 AM
I think you are mistaken. That zero stack headset has cups for a headtube w/ a 44mm inner diameter. Frames that take "traditional" 1 1/8 threadless headsets have headtubes with ~ 34mm inner diameter. The cups for that headset won't fit.

Correct, these have bearings that end up 'inside' the head tube, whereas more conventional HS have bearings 'outside' the head tube. The pictured HS is a 'integrated' or 'internal' type..no work with standard 1 1/8inch frame headtube.