PDA

View Full Version : help me find an alternative to Romin pro saddle

pavel
01-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Has anyone out there found something very close to the romin saddle, including any open mold generic copies?

Reason: dont want to give $ to specialized. Unfortunately, this saddle works particularly well for me.

YesNdeed
01-13-2016, 06:46 PM
The only three saddles that work well for me are the Romin, Selle SMP Evolution and and not until recently the Selle Italia SLR flow (big cutout, but not Max Flow). I hope that helps.

tuscanyswe
01-13-2016, 06:48 PM
The only three saddles that work well for me are the Romin, Selle SMP Evolution and and not until recently the Selle Italia SLR flow (big cutout, but not Max Flow). I hope that helps.

I can also work the romin (tho not for longer periods)+ the smp evolution and also smp forma n composite.

Id try an smp if i were you and id start with the evolution.

R3awak3n
01-13-2016, 07:08 PM
hmmm, if you don't want to give money to specialized then get a used one.

rnhood
01-13-2016, 07:09 PM
I have ridden the Romin extensively for the past 4 years. Recently I rode the SMP Glider, and Plus, and they seem to have just a bit too much swag/profile. Not test rides mind you, but several metrics and other group rides. The Romin still suits me better. I also owned the SLR Max Gel Flow (not the Superflow or the Max). It is very decent, and much flatter front to back, but still falls short of my satisfaction with the Romin.

Verdict: Specialized gets my money until I can find something that I like better. The search goes on. Frankly, I would rather buy from Specialized than from Europe or China.

Climb01742
01-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Similar shape. I'm testing one out and liking it so far:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-saddles/bontrager-serano-rl-road-saddle/p/11781

JimmyTango
01-13-2016, 07:49 PM
I rode italia Flite and SLR saddles (the 2012ish, 130mm wide versions) exclusively until I recently discovered that a 140-145 width saddles are a better fit.

Now my 3 bikes have: 143 Toupe Pro on the track bike, Antares on the CX, and 143 Romin on the road bike. Of the three I like the Toupe the least, and find both the Romin and Antares to be as close to perfect as I can hope for.

The lack of a cutout on the Antares had me doubting it being the right saddle for me, but it turns out that isn't negatively affecting it's performance... I could happily run both the Romin or the Antares interchangeably but like the color matching of the black Antares on my black Crux and the white Romin on my White TCR.

A few things to point out between the two:

-Both are very minimal on the padding, which I prefer.
-Both have a very similar degree of upslope on the tail, which I find I like a bit more than the completely flat tail on the Toupe.
-The Romin has a tiny bit more of a "pocket" than the Antares (as in the subtlest dip mid-saddle which ends up making for a sweet spot in terms of fore-aft sit bone support). I actually kinda prefer the flatter mid-to-nose profile of the Antares because I can chose my position slightly more freely.
-The Antares is almost dead-flat (side to side), while the Romin has a hint of more slope near the sides in the mid section. I like the the smoother contours on the Romin in this regard, but the abrupt edges of the Antares don't rub or cause pressure points thanks to its quick transition from wide tail to narrow waist.
-Both have nice wide and flat (side to side) noses which make riding on the rivet very comfortable. The Romin's nose drops a bit right at the front, unlike the Antares which is flat. I find sliding froward on the Antares to be marginally smoother because there is NO raise or drop to get over (the Romin is quite flat though compared to the newer Romin Evos).

When compared with these two, I feel like the Toupe has too narrow a nose and too flat a tail, but I do really like how it is as flat fore-aft from mid to tail as the Antares but slightly more rounded side to side like the Romin.

Hope that helps!

Ralph
01-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Have you tried the Specialized Power? I have one, also some of my friends have them. Due to the short narrow nose, most of us have been able to go one size wider. I went from a 143 to a 155, which has more support than a 143. And I'm not a big guy....155 and 5' 10". They have the usual various price points.

R3awak3n
01-13-2016, 09:00 PM
Have you tried the Specialized Power? I have one, also some of my friends have them. Due to the short narrow nose, most of us have been able to go one size wider. I went from a 143 to a 155, which has more support than a 143. And I'm not a big guy....155 and 5' 10". They have the usual various price points.

the guy does not want to buy specialized

uber
01-13-2016, 09:06 PM
I have a used Power of you are interested. I am liking the Flite Flow Carbonio.
Obviously what other folks like wont help you as much as you riding one.

LJohnny
01-13-2016, 09:10 PM
The Fabric Line? [ I have no personal experience with it, though ]

http://fabric.cc/shop/saddles/line/

http://fabric.cc/wp-content/themes/fabric/img/line-header.jpg

http://fabric.cc/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/line-blkblk-1024x177.jpg

velotrack
01-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Finding a good saddle isn't too easy. Is it bad to say just get over it, and ride the saddle you know works?

Tony T
01-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Has anyone out there found something very close to the romin saddle, including any open mold generic copies?

Reason: dont want to give $ to specialized. Unfortunately, this saddle works particularly well for me.

If they work well, isn't it worth the cost? A generic copy may not work as well.

martinez
01-13-2016, 09:37 PM
Don't fix what ain't broke!
I mean honestly...if it works, stick with it. Also, I support buying used as well. That will probably be your easiest option then having to buy similar saddles and then realizing that they just aren't romins. It'll haunt you like the exgf that got away

P.s. Sorry for not really helping.

spartanKid
01-13-2016, 10:47 PM
The Shimano Pro Turnix AF is a similar shape and available in 130 or 140 mm widths.

m_sasso
01-14-2016, 03:15 AM
Saddle Selection App http://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/innovation-saddle-selection-app-unveiled/

Have you tried the Prologo Scratch Pro?

KonaSS
01-14-2016, 04:42 AM
I can appreciate the sentiment of not supporting a company that you rubs you the wrong way, but for a saddle that doesn't, I would get over it. They aren't all bad, you are still supporting a company that does a lot for cycling.

I try to avoid Walmart at all costs, but sometimes, on a road trip in a small town, when options are low and I need a lot a stuff, I just hold my nose and go. Have to realize that my contribution and/or abstinence isn't going to move the needle in either direction.

makoti
01-14-2016, 07:13 AM
hmmm, if you don't want to give money to specialized then get a used one.

This. Post a WTB, go on ebay, anywhere they sell used stuff. You get your saddle, S gets nothing except you rolling around with it on your bike.

Gummee
01-14-2016, 08:19 AM
Similar shape. I'm testing one out and liking it so far:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-saddles/bontrager-serano-rl-road-saddle/p/11781

If you like that, you'll like the Pro Turnix too

I've got both. Neither work for me.

M

oldpotatoe
01-14-2016, 08:32 AM

Go to a shop that has test ride Fizik, SSM and or SI programs. ..lots do these days. Also SMP, which is my personal favorite.

pavel
01-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the responses all, the Shimano Turnix and the Fabric saddles look interesting. Any idea who sells either?

I have an SMP glider, and its ok for me, a bit too bulky for what I'm going for. I have ISM saddles on my track bikes, but those dont work as well for me on the road. Prologo is right out, as is Fizik. Those seem to putt pressure directly where I dont want pressure. Same with Selle italia.

Thanks all for the helpful (and unhelpful :) ) responses. Meanwhile, I will hang my head in shame and post a WTB.