PDA

View Full Version : transcontinental race and inspired to ride doc.

bicycletricycle
01-13-2016, 10:43 AM
i saw this movie last night-

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/inspiredtoride

about this race

https://www.facebook.com/transconrace/

it was thoughtfully made, amazing footage of the country, crazy/interesting characters, one guy was even on a serotta! I would recommend seeing this movie.

ptourkin
01-13-2016, 03:59 PM
I'm currently registered for 2016, although I may not race. I already signed a waiver acknowledging that 15% of 2015 racers were hit by cars. No キキキキ. There is a pairs option this year, which seems a little safer.

bicycletricycle
01-13-2016, 04:04 PM
ya, lots of the people in the video were riding in dangerously exhausted states, i thought for sure someone would die. at least 2 pairs of competitors formed and it seemed much less miserable but not sure about safer, I guess a little safer. pretty epic to even consider doing. Everyone who finishes is a winner in my book.

hokoman
01-13-2016, 08:45 PM
The english lady that was touring was hit and killed by a car two months later. It was a good documentary, but I preferred their movie on the transcontinental race for some reason... but it's worth watching for sure.

The race is nuts. Coaching and training from my couch, i think my approach would be to ride my ass off during the day and try and get a solid 6 hours of sleep a night. Can't imagine that you are effective 3 weeks in without sleeping very much.

I stopped working in August and considered racing it... but I have not been rising at all...

bicycletricycle
01-13-2016, 08:48 PM
That lady who died wasn't in the race.

I was surprised more of them didn't get some motel rest with a shower.

Dude who won seemed to wear the same crap the whole time, I don't think he ever changed, must have smelled like a trash can.

azrider
01-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks for posting. Adding that movie to the queue.

guido
01-14-2016, 07:08 AM
Great film indeed. By the same director is "Ride The Divide" about the mountain bike race from Banff BC to the Mexican boarder... It covers Mathew Lee's 5th winning ride and the others who competed. Great inspiring stuff...

unterhausen
01-14-2016, 07:26 AM
I was going to rent the film on Amazon, but I wasn't sure I would get my money's worth at that time. I was following the race on Facebook, I didn't realize so many people had been in crashes. I did a 1200k on 6 hours of sleep, and I actually had trouble sleeping at the end. The previous night I was wobbling just a little, but the hotel was in a few miles and I really wanted to sleep in a bed. Fortunately there were no cars at that time, although I do feel a little bad about pressing on.

weisan
01-14-2016, 08:45 AM
The mental challenge is just as tough, maybe tougher than the physical one.