PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on Serotta

icepick_trotsky
01-13-2016, 09:35 AM
I'm interested in trying out a Serotta for my next road build, but I know almost nothing about the marque. Can anyone walk me through some of the model hierarchy? Any insight on frame materials and when those changed? It looks like a lot of the frames had some custom badged Columbus steel.

I know the company was around for a long time and baselines change over the years, but I'm just interested in what I should look out for. I'm most interested in lugged models with threaded forks, but I could be tempted by something else all steel with a level top tube. Is there an iconic Serotta frame most worth seeking out?

rwsaunders
01-13-2016, 09:43 AM
I'm interested in trying out a Serotta for my next road build, but I know almost nothing about the marque. Can anyone walk me through some of the model hierarchy? Any insight on frame materials and when those changed? It looks like a lot of the frames had some custom badged Columbus steel.

I know the company was around for a long time and baselines change over the years, but I'm just interested in what I should look out for. I'm most interested in lugged models with threaded forks, but I could be tempted by something else all steel with a level top tube. Is there an iconic Serotta frame most worth seeking out?

The CSI is probably the iconic steel frame for many Serotta aficionados but there are so many other models that will bring a smile to your face as well.

Atlanta (steel)
Colorado models (steel)
Legend (titanium)
Ottrott (carbon/titanium)

Check the catalog section of the forum for information on all things Serotta.

FlashUNC
01-13-2016, 09:47 AM
While they certainly built other stuff, tough to separate Serotta from their steel race bike heritage.

Built some really, really nice steel road bikes.

Michael Maddox
01-13-2016, 10:01 AM
See, I'm partial to the earlier steel. Nova Special for me.

akelman
01-13-2016, 10:03 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=103378

dave thompson
01-13-2016, 10:48 AM
As rwsaunders posted, the top 2 'iconic' steel Serottas are the CSi and the Atlanta. When it was a current model the CSi was considered by many knowledgable people to be the best definition of what a steel bike should be. The Atlsnta was a close second.

As noted, peruse the catalog section here, particularly the 90s and early 2000s. You'll be able to get a feel of what Serotta was about. It was a great brand when they were on top of the game and are missed by many. I've owned many Serottas in my day, all good.

azrider
01-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Another vote for CSI

54ny77
01-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought $10,000 Meivici frames. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

Lewis Moon
01-13-2016, 11:49 AM
I positively, absolutely, without caveat, LOVE my Atlanta.

That is all.

Hilltopperny
01-13-2016, 11:52 AM
I have owned the atlanta, csi, tg, ttr and rapid tour models. You cannot go wrong with any of them. I also have a concours ti which is a keeper as well as the csi. I loved my atlanta which was my intro to serotta bikes. It really depends on what you are going to use it for. The atlanta with a steel or f1 fork is probably the best all arounder while I found the csi to be the fastest and a little bit stiffer. What size frame are you looking for? I just picked up a kirk and need to thin the herd...

oliver1850
01-13-2016, 12:18 PM
The two most common bikes with constant diameter off the shelf Columbus tubes are the Clubs and Novas. Either could be had in SLX as an option, then called the (Club/Nova)Special X. The Club has engraving that the Nova lacks. Other frame details such as brake bridge, seat cluster etc. varied depending on year. The Clubs ended when the tapered tube Colorado was introduced in 1986. The Nova and later nhx (first Serotta with S bend stays) continued through 1991. After that most all the steel frames were variations on the Colorado theme: Colorado, Colorado II, TG, LT, CR, CRL, CSI, Atlanta, Rapid Tour, Colorado III and CDA. All featured the tapering OD seat and down tubes, but the tubes were made by various companies. While Columbus is most common, TGs and LTs were Tange, and Atlantas were Reynolds. I'm pretty sure the original Colorado was True Temper but they switched to Columbus for the CII, CR, CRL and CSI.

Come up and have a look at some in person some time. Ride them if you can fit on a 58-61.

icepick_trotsky
01-13-2016, 12:24 PM
I have owned the atlanta, csi, tg, ttr and rapid tour models. You cannot go wrong with any of them. I also have a concours ti which is a keeper as well as the csi. I loved my atlanta which was my intro to serotta bikes. It really depends on what you are going to use it for. The atlanta with a steel or f1 fork is probably the best all arounder while I found the csi to be the fastest and a little bit stiffer. What size frame are you looking for? I just picked up a kirk and need to thin the herd...

55-56cm

rccardr
01-13-2016, 12:31 PM
I've owned a Davis Phinney, a Colorado LT, and a very late production Nova Special, but the only one I kept was an '83 Club Special with full period correct Super Record.

Awesome bike, really one of my favorites.

buldogge
01-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Serotta made a lot of great frames...but...if I was planning on having only one, I would narrow the choice down to the following:

CSI..If I wanted lugged steel
CIII..If I wanted TIG'd steel (lighter)
Legend...If I wanted Ti
Ottrott..If I was down with mixed materials (Ti + CF)

It really depends on where your interests lie...also, I should note, I have zero experience with the newer models...but...the Meivici in CF and the Pronto in steel always looked quite interesting to me.

If you want to stretch onto one of my 57-58s...you are welcome to take a test ride on my CIII or Legend.

-Mark in St. Louis

Hilltopperny
01-13-2016, 01:10 PM
55-56cm

I have a late model csi with the 02 fork complete or f/f/hs that is a 53.5 seat tube c-to-c and 56cm top tube if you are interested. I just stripped it down last night. It's the filleted faux front lugged version. Very nice riding bike. If the size works for you and your interested let me know.

JER3
01-13-2016, 01:24 PM
I have a 93 Colorado Legend CR (lugged steel) and ~ 2001 Legend Ti with F1 carbon fork. Both are 57x57 stock geometry. They are each super nice rides.

The only thing I'd caution you on is that models with the F1 fork will be limited to 700x25 or smaller tires. If you can live within that constraint though the F1 is still a great fork.

thollandpe
01-13-2016, 01:37 PM
My wife is very fond of her Colorado LT. That one had Tange tubing.

TH

jmal
01-13-2016, 02:07 PM
I know nothing about their Ti or mixed material frames, but the Atlanta and CSI are the best steel frames I have ridden. I've spent time on Bianchi, Colnago, Seven, IF, LeMond, QBP branded Asian frames, and...well you get the point. I still think of the Serottas as the absolute benchmark for steel frames. I hope to one day have a similar experience with a frame from Dave Kirk.

BobC
01-13-2016, 02:24 PM
CSI is a great bike. Raced on that puppy for several years.

Seriously want a Pronto bad. Thought that Serotta got that perfect. A hard core Ti race bike. No frills. No extras.

msl819
01-13-2016, 02:37 PM
The two most common bikes with constant diameter off the shelf Columbus tubes are the Clubs and Novas. Either could be had in SLX as an option, then called the (Club/Nova)Special X. The Club has engraving that the Nova lacks. Other frame details such as brake bridge, seat cluster etc. varied depending on year. The Clubs ended when the tapered tube Colorado was introduced in 1986. The Nova and later nhx (first Serotta with S bend stays) continued through 1991. After that most all the steel frames were variations on the Colorado theme: Colorado, Colorado II, TG, LT, CR, CRL, CSI, Atlanta, Rapid Tour, Colorado III and CDA. All featured the tapering OD seat and down tubes, but the tubes were made by various companies. While Columbus is most common, TGs and LTs were Tange, and Atlantas were Reynolds. I'm pretty sure the original Colorado was True Temper but they switched to Columbus for the CII, CR, CRL and CSI.

Come up and have a look at some in person some time. Ride them if you can fit on a 58-61.

Oliver1850 knows his stuff. Their top do the line model changed over time as they made and implemented changes. I have two CRLs that I love but will have a CSI in a 60/61 one day if I can find the right one. I am partial to the steel fork. If you want the best in quality steel from the 70s-90s you need not look anywhere else. But that is just my opinion.

AngryScientist
01-13-2016, 02:46 PM
one thing is for sure. the Serotta Legend is one of the finest titanium bikes ever made.

jtakeda
01-13-2016, 03:03 PM
My friend has a serotta CSI (if I recall correctly) that he has for sale.

I think he was asking somewhere around 1000 complete with 9 speed shimano.

I believe he said measurements are 56 st 54.5 TT c-c.

I haven't seen it in a long time but I can confirm if you're interested.

Classic red-yellow fade btw

Cicli
01-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Not to derail but where does the CdA fit into this lineup?

etu
01-13-2016, 03:18 PM
I've always admired Serottas, but they were a bit out of my price range. Always thought the triumvirate (based on price mainly) was Meivici, Ottrott, and Legend. In the past couple of years I was able to buy a close out Meivici on Ebay and most recently a Legend on local craigslist. I absolutely love my Legend, best bike I've had by far. Meivici, is also a fantastic bike, a bit muted compared to the Legend, but smooth. Was on the lookout for a used Ottrot, but sounds like may be I should be looking for a CSI.

oliver1850
01-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Not to derail but where does the CdA fit into this lineup?

CDA is one of the newer (2003?) tig welded frames. Similar to a Colorado III but has an ST carbon monostay.

Plum Hill
01-13-2016, 03:43 PM
If you come across a burgundy 58cm CSI with Campy 8 speed in STL, that's my old bike. It had beautiful metalflake paint and was combo lugged/fillet brazed.
Bike was practically given away to a friend who resold it through Recycled Cyles in U City.
I also had a matching CRT with Campy Racing Triple. I think it's still in my friend's collection.

There are a number of steel Serottas in STL, but I can't think of anyone that has a 55/56. If I do, I'll see if I can set you up with a ride.

My steel, later model HSG, is currently unbuilt.

Dave

icepick_trotsky
01-13-2016, 04:06 PM
If you come across a burgundy 58cm CSI with Campy 8 speed in STL, that's my old bike. It had beautiful metalflake paint and was combo lugged/fillet brazed.
Bike was practically given away to a friend who resold it through Recycled Cyles in U City.
I also had a matching CRT with Campy Racing Triple. I think it's still in my friend's collection.

There are a number of steel Serottas in STL, but I can't think of anyone that has a 55/56. If I do, I'll see if I can set you up with a ride.

My steel, later model HSG, is currently unbuilt.

Dave

Incredibly generous of you, thanks.

icepick_trotsky
01-13-2016, 04:19 PM
My friend has a serotta CSI (if I recall correctly) that he has for sale.

I think he was asking somewhere around 1000 complete with 9 speed shimano.

I believe he said measurements are 56 st 54.5 TT c-c.

I haven't seen it in a long time but I can confirm if you're interested.

Classic red-yellow fade btw

I'm really only looking for a frameset and am currently in the casual speculation phase of the search, but pics would be cool!

dustyrider
01-13-2016, 04:43 PM
Looks like the right people are chiming in. One thing I never knew about serotta is how incredibly generous and genuine the owners of them are.

One thing that seems to be true, but I haven't really confirmed, is that many of their second tier bikes that were built 57 and above got similar treatments as their highest tiered bikes. I have a Colorado CR and concours which are just a step below a CRL/CSI or legend, yet they both have some of the higher end model refinements like tapered tubes, etc. I spent a lot time looking at the catalogues(still do from time to time), and I still learn something from mark(Oliver1850)!

HenryA
01-13-2016, 04:49 PM
The best they made was as good or better than anything ever, period. Absolutely tip-top tier frames, IMO.

CII
CSI
Legend Ti
Otrott
CIII

All just stunningly wonderful bikes.
Find one that fits and suits your weight and size.

SoCalSteve
01-13-2016, 05:18 PM
Bypass all this steel nonsense and go right to the best bike they ever made. Hell, probably the best bike of all time.

The Serotta Ottrott with ST rear stays. If you can find one that fits with the stock Serotta F3 fork, buy it, build it, ride it and smile.

Good luck!

Elefantino
01-13-2016, 07:28 PM
If you love steel you won't find a better bike than a CSI. Have ridden a ton of steel and even the finest Italian SLX steeds can't match the ride of my current CSI, which has a Reynolds 02 fork. It's my second one and I like it a lot better than the first one, which had a heavier F1 fork.

I have also had three Atlantas. The catch phrase was "90 percent of the CSI ride at 60 percent of the cost" and with a steel fork that's true. I also had ones with F1 forks and they didn't ride near as nicely.

Others:

La Corsa: Straight-gauge ti; was made for me but I never cottoned to it and sold it on this forum.
Concours: A few measures shy of the legendary Lagend frame set but one I wish I still had, dammit. My all-around wonder bike that I sold for stupid reasons.
CIII: The wife's bike. She flat-out loves it.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/image_zps1bnmcy0y.jpeg

Louis
01-13-2016, 07:49 PM
If you want to try a Serotta I'd say it comes down to what frame material you'd like. The logical choices would be CSi if you want to go steel, and Legend if you want Ti. Both of those models (and the brand) were just about the best one could ask for in US-made frames. If you want to be a bit adventurous, then I'd go with the Ottrott ST Steve mentioned above.

They made plenty of models, but in terms of overall greatness across the board, the CSi and the Legend are the cream of the crop.

(Thread drift: I have to wonder what would have happened if they had stuck with steel and Ti with those two models as the core of the line, refined the hell out of them for various applications (e.g. crit racing, stage racing and touring) and marketed them properly. I bet there's a decent chance the company would still be around today.)

tbike4
01-13-2016, 08:10 PM
I would love to own a CSI, this one sold by a forum member. The paint is divine.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/ORMojo1/Serotta%20CSI/c07_zpsp82jgcgb.jpg (http://s668.photobucket.com/user/ORMojo1/media/Serotta%20CSI/c07_zpsp82jgcgb.jpg.html)

I have an Atlanta and love it. It is Spruce color, '98 I think, a little rough in some areas of the paint and has a flat crown steel fork. I bought it from a forum member. I thought I needed a prettier Atlanta and found the red/yellow fade with a carbon fork. I would ride the prettier bike and sell the Spruce. NOT. I like the steel fork frame better and it may be some other factor involved but I kept the Spruce bike and sold the pretty red/yellow fade.

I don't know what the bike weighs and I know the wheels aren't light but it doesn't matter. It just feels right.

Whoever bought the harlequin CSI, it's too big for you right?? and you need to move it on soon I bet...:D

buddybikes
01-13-2016, 08:40 PM
We have a repainted Gordon Chinook in that exact same paint. Like it, but wish we'd gone with the redder tint.

jtakeda
01-13-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm really only looking for a frameset and am currently in the casual speculation phase of the search, but pics would be cool!

I'll snap some pics soon. I'm sure if you actually wanted it we could do the frame set.

SPOKE
01-13-2016, 09:59 PM
If you ever get to Raleigh NC before you actually find one go buy I'll be happy to let you test ride a few different Serotta's.
A couple CSi's.....one with a steel flat crown fork & standard lugs. One with TdF lugs and F3 fork.
25th anniversary CSi with F1 Carbon fork
Can also put up on an Ottrott or Meivici too��

happycampyer
01-13-2016, 10:01 PM
The best they made was as good or better than anything ever, period. Absolutely tip-top tier frames, IMO.

CII
CSI
Legend Ti
Otrott
CIII

All just stunningly wonderful bikes.
Find one that fits and suits your weight and size.That last bit is very important. Not all CSi's, Legends, Ottrotts etc. in a given size are the same. Since Serotta was a custom builder, there will be some variation in the tube diameters used, etc. Serotta made stock bikes, too, and certain models were generally stock only (e.g., HSG), or stock versions of a particular model (e.g., SG series), which had tubing for the middle of the bell curve. You'll note a couple of folks in this thread who have mentioned that they had multiple version of a given model and liked one more than another. The good news is that the depreciation on these frames has pretty much bottomed out, so you can try a frame a recoup most of what you put into it (taking into account build costs, miscellaneous parts, etc.) if you decide you don't like it. When you find one that's just right, it will likely be one of your favorite bikes.

It's too bad you don't live in the NYC area, or we could go for an A/B (or A/B/C/D...) ride. I have an embarrassing range of Serottas. I have a fork-less CSi that I plan to build up one day (and probably have either Dave Kirk or Kelly Bedford make a fork for). In terms of built bikes, I have one of the last Legends to leave the factory, in all ti. I also picked up Tim P's cast-off, coupled Legend ST (called the Uniscasi at the time, I believe) and those two bikes are hands down the finest ti bikes I've ever ridden or owned. As much as I didn't want to like the carbon stays and ST bearings, the bike rides like a dream. I took the bike on a trip to Colorado last summer, and it just felt like gliding effortlessly on the descents. Only after I got home and downloaded the Garmin files did I realize that I was pushing 50 mph for long stretches. Of course, if you want something that is extra stiff, there was also the Pronto.

I have to agree with SoCalSteve that there is something really special about the Ottrott. I know someone who deliberately requested his to be uber stiff, and ended up not liking it and sold it, so caveat emptor. The one I have is the perfect blend of stiff, smooth and quiet.

I would just add that, while Serotta's carbon was much maligned for its high cost, the MeiVici is one of the finest carbon bikes ever made.

thollandpe
01-14-2016, 10:05 AM

happycampyer
01-14-2016, 10:30 AM
And yet this one still sits in a box at my house.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f3/fs-serotta-meivici-58-cm-frame-fork-di2-40824.html

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0sKOz72PsAA/VUJ15QUBnPI/AAAAAAAAE3I/2dlJvlss9R0/w776-h600-no/Serotta%2B130506-SG-Custom_Page_1.jpg
You have no idea how many times I have revisited that listing to double-check whether there is any way the frame will fit me--sadly, it's a bit too big. One of my biggest bike-purchase regrets is not getting my MeiVici drilled for electronic shifting. At the time, Di2 had been out for a while and Campagnolo was still working on EPS. Details were scant on whether the holes for Di2 would be compatible with EPS (or, if in fact Campy actually was going to release it, and if they did, if it was going to work properly). I had tried Di2 and hated the ergonomics, and still do. In the end, I decided that it was too risky to take the plunge and went with mechanical fittings. That bike is still on the whole the best-riding bike of all of my bikes.

Regarding your friend's frame, I think it's not unfair to say that the vsalon classifieds is probably one of the worst places to try to sell it. The classifieds are a bit of a backwater to begin with, and for a variety of reasons carbon Serottas are not likely to be hot sellers there. I love the comment about the BSA bottom bracket.

Edit: I just re-read the listing and recalled another reason for my hesitation--the frame was built with all 10.5 tubing, and I know mine was built with a combination of 6.5 and 8.5 tubing. I tried a number of used MeiVicis before ordering mine, and mine was based on the tubing used on the best-riding (to me) of the "test" bikes. I've ridden a MeiVici with all 10.5 tubing, and it was way too stiff for my taste--as stiff if not stiffer than a Look 595 Ultra bitd.

buldogge
01-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Man...I kinda wish that Meivici^^^ took an internal headset...shame about the 20cm HT. Is the BB drop 70 or 80mm??

-Mark in St. Louis

SoCalSteve
01-14-2016, 01:19 PM
You have no idea how many times I have revisited that listing to double-check whether there is any way the frame will fit me--sadly, it's a bit too big. One of my biggest bike-purchase regrets is not getting my MeiVici drilled for electronic shifting. At the time, Di2 had been out for a while and Campagnolo was still working on EPS. Details were scant on whether the holes for Di2 would be compatible with EPS (or, if in fact Campy actually was going to release it, and if they did, if it was going to work properly). I had tried Di2 and hated the ergonomics, and still do. In the end, I decided that it was too risky to take the plunge and went with mechanical fittings. That bike is still on the whole the best-riding bike of all of my bikes.

Regarding your friend's frame, I think it's not unfair to say that the vsalon classifieds is probably one of the worst places to try to sell it. The classifieds are a bit of a backwater to begin with, and for a variety of reasons carbon Serottas are not likely to be hot sellers there. I love the comment about the BSA bottom bracket.

Edit: I just re-read the listing and recalled another reason for my hesitation--the frame was built with all 10.5 tubing, and I know mine was built with a combination of 6.5 and 8.5 tubing. I tried a number of used MeiVicis before ordering mine, and mine was based on the tubing used on the best-riding (to me) of the "test" bikes. I've ridden a MeiVici with all 10.5 tubing, and it was way too stiff for my taste--as stiff if not stiffer than a Look 595 Ultra bitd.

The Meivici I owned briefly had a 10.5 down tube and that thing just rattled my teeth. It was way too stiff. I cannot imagine an entire bike built with 10.5.

The bike I owned has gone through at least 7 owners ( I was number 3 ).

I'll say it again, if you want a bike that does everything exceptionally well, then find an Ottrott.

thollandpe
01-14-2016, 01:32 PM

happycampyer
01-14-2016, 03:05 PM
The Meivici I owned briefly had a 10.5 down tube and that thing just rattled my teeth. It was way too stiff. I cannot imagine an entire bike built with 10.5.

The bike I owned has gone through at least 7 owners ( I was number 3 ).

I'll say it again, if you want a bike that does everything exceptionally well, then find an Ottrott.I know the guy who ordered that bike. Funny enough, he--like the guy who ordered the punishingly stiff Ottrott--was a fitter/mechanic at a bike shop. That bike needs to be ridden by a 250+ lb rider. I'm pretty sure my bike has 8.5 downtube and chainstays, with all other tubes 6.5. I know that Serotta would expect use to all 8.5 tubes for someone my weight (and iianm stock 56 MeiVicis were built with 8.5 tubing and 8.5 forks). In general, I think that I don't like frames that are as stiff as builders would instinctively build for me without a discussion about preferences.

SoCalSteve
01-14-2016, 03:57 PM
I know the guy who ordered that bike. Funny enough, he--like the guy who ordered the punishingly stiff Ottrott--was a fitter/mechanic at a bike shop. That bike needs to be ridden by a 250+ lb rider. I'm pretty sure my bike has 8.5 downtube and chainstays, with all other tubes 6.5. I know that Serotta would expect use to all 8.5 tubes for someone my weight (and iianm stock 56 MeiVicis were built with 8.5 tubing and 8.5 forks). In general, I think that I don't like frames that are as stiff as builders would instinctively build for me without a discussion about preferences.

When I had my discussions with Kelly B in 2007 regarding my Ottrott, he suggested 8.5 tubing all around ( I was 6' 5" 240 lbs then ). He said 10.5 tubing was for REALLY big guys.

I am still, to this day, extremely happy with the way my Ottrott turned out. I would never consider owning a Serotta that had any 10.5 tubes. I learned my lesson.

happycampyer
01-14-2016, 04:26 PM
When I had my discussions with Kelly B in 2007 regarding my Ottrott, he suggested 8.5 tubing all around ( I was 6' 5" 240 lbs then ). He said 10.5 tubing was for REALLY big guys.

I am still, to this day, extremely happy with the way my Ottrott turned out. I would never consider owning a Serotta that had any 10.5 tubes. I learned my lesson.As they used to say, "It's the tubes, damn it!"

Mike Lopez
01-14-2016, 06:24 PM
It's been fun watching this thread with it's pros/cons of the various models over the years. Lots of subjective opinions on this & that some perhaps biased by personal preferences for looks, feel, materials, etc. Feel is an interesting attribute for me cause I'm asked about it often and it's tough since there's more to the total package than just the frame.

I can't speak with authority about the metal frames but the comments about the 10.5 parts are interesting. Certainly won't argue with anyone, they like something or they don't but I do wonder about the total build of the bike they were riding and what their expectations were. Curious because this is the first time I've heard any feedback about them being too stiff...

FWIW the difference in stiffness between the various layups is roughly 15-20%with the greatest difference being between the 6.5 & 8.5 DT @ closer to 25%.

Until recently I'd been riding the same 8.5 Meivici pretty much since they came out and I still find it quite plush. I'm roughly 190 lbs but may have been as high as 210 while I was on it. Over the years the bars & stem remained constant but I tried a few different seat posts and many different wheels. Some of the seatposts gave more comfort while seated (thin Ti) but I found the greater difference to come from wheel/tire/pressure combinations.

YMMV but I thought I'd toss out the data on the tubes...

alembical
01-14-2016, 06:31 PM
I love my CSi. I wish I had kept track of all the mileage though, but at least 10 straight years of more than 5,000 miles on it. It has been repainted twice and is on its 4th group set, but I have had countless bikes come and leave all while this has been in the rotation. I don't see myself ever getting rid of it. Sill a bike that I love to ride... especially with newer parts but original steel fork. It doesn't get the amount of usage that it used to, but I can't imagine not having it as an option.

Climb01742
01-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Knowing that it's highly subjective and personal, I agree that a few of the Serotta's I've owned were too stiff. The fault, I think, wasn't in anything Serotta did, but in the communication that instructed them what to build. Going client to fitter to builder resulted in some things getting lost in translation sometimes. Client going direct to builder is, IMO, a better model for direct communication of the desired ride characteristics.

Someday I hope to find an Ottrott in my size built again. Serotta was capable of brilliance. That the frames weren't always brilliant is a byproduct of the process and the intervention of fitters with varying skills/philosophies. The input Serotta was given wasn't always brilliant. Least that's my 2 cents.

happycampyer
01-14-2016, 07:54 PM
It's been fun watching this thread with it's pros/cons of the various models over the years. Lots of subjective opinions on this & that some perhaps biased by personal preferences for looks, feel, materials, etc. Feel is an interesting attribute for me cause I'm asked about it often and it's tough since there's more to the total package than just the frame.

I can't speak with authority about the metal frames but the comments about the 10.5 parts are interesting. Certainly won't argue with anyone, they like something or they don't but I do wonder about the total build of the bike they were riding and what their expectations were. Curious because this is the first time I've heard any feedback about them being too stiff...

FWIW the difference in stiffness between the various layups is roughly 15-20%with the greatest difference being between the 6.5 & 8.5 DT @ closer to 25%.

Until recently I'd been riding the same 8.5 Meivici pretty much since they came out and I still find it quite plush. I'm roughly 190 lbs but may have been as high as 210 while I was on it. Over the years the bars & stem remained constant but I tried a few different seat posts and many different wheels. Some of the seatposts gave more comfort while seated (thin Ti) but I found the greater difference to come from wheel/tire/pressure combinations.

YMMV but I thought I'd toss out the data on the tubes...Thanks for chiming in, Mike! Before I ordered a custom MeiVici, I previously owned two (a not-for-me custom (that my custom was ultimately based off of) and a stock dealer demo bike (8.5 tubing throughout)), and had ridden several others (at one point, there were 4 Serotta dealers near me--Altheus, Greenwich Bicycles, Stamford Cycle Center and eventually Signature). I was able to get info about the tube sets of the non-stock frames from Scott Hock, who looked them up. When I A/B bikes, I swap the same wheels, and use the same model handlebars, saddle, etc. so I'm pretty confident the differences I'm feeling are due to the frame materials.

The not-for-me custom wasn't a perfect fit, but the ride quality was so much better than any bike I owned at the time it was shocking (and trust me, it had good company). I was extremely hesitant ponying up for a new one, which is why I bought the demo model. It fit me better, but didn't ride anywhere near as nicely. I eventually sold off a bunch of bikes and got the custom MeiVici. I think Brian Smith once said, "History will be kind to Serotta carbon." To this day, it's still my favorite bike. Imo, you created something very special that is very under-appreciated.

Mzilliox
01-20-2016, 09:25 AM
I recently grabbed an Atlanta to build up with record 10speed, so far so good, will be finishing he build hopefully this week.

Highpowernut
01-20-2016, 08:27 PM

YMMV but I thought I'd toss out the data on the tubes...

Mike , great insight.

While talking carbon serotta, I have a HSG Aero. Rides awesome, best Tri bike ever.
I'll probably never get tired of it.

What where the tubes that were used on those?

Cuz not many have seen one.1697913751

Mike Lopez
01-21-2016, 12:05 PM
The lay-up used on the aero frames were basically 8.5 in terms of the basic ply stack but that doesn't really pencil out to the same properties of a round tube using the same lay-up. Cross sectional area and shape (moment of inertia) make a huge difference in how a part will handle loads. Regardless of material...

And BTW...Thanks to you & happycamper for the positive feedback!

Highpowernut
01-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the info.
I tried every Tri / txt bike out there. Then I lucked out and found the HSG Aero. Ride is smooth but solid.
I love to pass all the p-5, and sworks and listen to them creak and make so much noise. This serotta is totally stealth. Almost scare some as I pass.

I'd love one with road geometry to match.

You guys did great work.

benenbici
01-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Very interesting thread... Thanks guys.

I can only support the high praise the CSI has received here - it's a gorgeous frame and I think the tube set was way ahead of its time. Recently started rebuilding one and I can't stop checking out the frame details. Mine is fully lugged, but I would love to find a 'Bi-lam' construction frame at some point in the future.

Cheers to the former Serotta folks! :beer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15105559/Brooks/CSi1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15105559/Brooks/CSi2.JPG