PDA

View Full Version : OT - Florida vaca suggestions...

bostondrunk
01-13-2016, 08:19 AM
We head to Florida every year or two, usually stay at the Disney Swan or Dolphin, and are doing so in March. We've done all the disney parks multiple times, as well as Blizzard and Typhoon. We're thinking of checking out Sea World and Aquatica (been to Sea world, but a while ago).
Any other good ideas to check out with an 8 year old and 5 year old? Don't think we are interested in Lego Land. They do like Disney Quest, but I understand it is shutting down?
Thx!

Bruce K
01-13-2016, 08:25 AM
Not a big Disney guy any more

Universal sounds like fun but much of it seems like it might be intense for little kids

We enjoy the Sanibel, Captiva, Ft Myers area

Sanibel and Captiva have great beaches, wildlife, fishing, and especially sea shell hunting. Also nice bike paths.

It would not be a busy vacation but it could be fun

BK

bostondrunk
01-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Since we're staying in the Disney area, hopefully looking for stuff not too far away. We did go to Universal last time, and yeah, they are a bit young for a lot of it, and lineups were ridiculous.

We did spend one vacation in Treasure Island (St Petes area) on the beach, and loved it.

bcroslin
01-13-2016, 08:36 AM
Cape Canaveral is a little over an hour away and very cool with kids who like rockets and space. The Gaylord Palms does a big ice thing with a slide that my daughter used to love.

ultraman6970
01-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Cape caņaveral, but because of your little one I would advise you visit lego land, the lines are super quick, not a lot of people, rides are built for kids up to 10 or so, if you dont want to ride a guy from the team will ride with the kid too, really nice park.

I would not advice you island of adventure and universal studios more than nothing because the lines are so stupidly long that your 5 y/o will get tired of it really quick. Unless you have like 150 bucks per person to get the fast pass, but im not telling you that if you guys are a group of four is cheaper to get 2 passes and then enjoy the rides in pairs. Notice this in a family of asians, 12... they were going in groups of 4 to each ride. By the way around 10 or 11 am there's no more fast passes for sale ok? As a dad I would advice you to wait till your kids are big enough to let them roam free with a cell phone by themselves, specially at universal and island of adventure that are parks for adults like Bush garden's Tampa.

Michael Maddox
01-13-2016, 08:55 AM
The sad truth is that Kennedy Space Center is VERY dumbed down. When I went in the 80s, we saw the inside of the VAB, multiple pads, Mission Control, and lots of other things. Now, it's a bus ride from the Tourist Center to an observation deck approx. 1 mile from a shuttle pad. Then, you re-board the bus to ride to the Saturn V display which is surrounded by gift shop opportunities. Then, it's more gift shops at the Tourist Center. You won't go IN anything. It's a horrible trap of static displays, snack food, and gift shops.

I would highly recommend the Ringling Museum in Sarasota (south of Tampa), Busch Gardens in Tampa(at least it's got great roller coasters), Sea World (at least it's better than Disney, they have the best roller coaster in the area, and you can get behind-the-scenes tours). Aquatica is very good--for a water park, but expensive. Discovery Cove is also expensive but very fun for that age range...you swim with sea life and have a dolphin experience. If you like golf...well...you're in heaven. International Drive has lots of attractions, like Wonderworks, Ripley's and more. They are not cheap...it's Orlando...but they're good and NOT the mouse. Universal's City Walk is great--you can see Blue Man Group, which I HIGHLY recommend (sit up front). Of course, Cirque du Soleil is HQ'ed in Orlando, so that's a great show.

Gosh...I could go on and on. We are Floridians (and I lived down there for a while) and are heading to Orlando this weekend for golf and shopping and maybe a show. We don't do the mouse, and I can't say I really care for many of the parks excepting Sea World and Busch Gardens.

Do you have outdoor hobbies (besides cycling) that you enjoy?

93legendti
01-13-2016, 09:03 AM
We like Wet And Wild better than Aquatica, http://www.wetnwildorlando.com/?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%20Brand%20[OUS-WEST-EAST]%20(S)%20^KW%20*AD

Typhoon wasn't bad, expensive, if I recall correctly.

But we usually go to both wet and wild and Aquatica... Our success at non water Disney parks was limited...

We were there. Few years ago when kids were 11 and 7

bostondrunk
01-13-2016, 09:08 AM
The sad truth is that Kennedy Space Center is VERY dumbed down. When I went in the 80s, we saw the inside of the VAB, multiple pads, Mission Control, and lots of other things. Now, it's a bus ride from the Tourist Center to an observation deck approx. 1 mile from a shuttle pad. Then, you re-board the bus to ride to the Saturn V display which is surrounded by gift shop opportunities. Then, it's more gift shops at the Tourist Center. You won't go IN anything. It's a horrible trap of static displays, snack food, and gift shops.

I would highly recommend the Ringling Museum in Sarasota (south of Tampa), Busch Gardens in Tampa(at least it's got great roller coasters), Sea World (at least it's better than Disney, they have the best roller coaster in the area, and you can get behind-the-scenes tours). Aquatica is very good--for a water park, but expensive. Discovery Cove is also expensive but very fun for that age range...you swim with sea life and have a dolphin experience. If you like golf...well...you're in heaven. International Drive has lots of attractions, like Wonderworks, Ripley's and more. They are not cheap...it's Orlando...but they're good and NOT the mouse. Universal's City Walk is great--you can see Blue Man Group, which I HIGHLY recommend (sit up front). Of course, Cirque du Soleil is HQ'ed in Orlando, so that's a great show.

Gosh...I could go on and on. We are Floridians (and I lived down there for a while) and are heading to Orlando this weekend for golf and shopping and maybe a show. We don't do the mouse, and I can't say I really care for many of the parks excepting Sea World and Busch Gardens.

Do you have outdoor hobbies (besides cycling) that you enjoy?

I swim and run too... :)
And....Discovery Cove, yeah, I forgot to mention that, was seriously considering that. Was discussing the cost with the wife, but also a bit concerned about the fact that the dolphin experience - I think our 5 year old is not old enough to do that part. Not sure how well that will go over!

I guess as of right now the tentative plan is:
- hang out a lot at the pool area at the Swan/Dolphin, really nice and nice boardwalk area.
- Sea World
- Aquatica
- Probably Blizzard beach too
- One day at Magic Kingdom
- Maybe Discovery Cove
- Disney Quest (anyone know if it'll still be open in March??)

But of course open to all suggestions... :)
Oh, and I think our first couple days there will actually be spent with relatives at 'The Villages' area, about an hour north of Orlando..

bostondrunk
01-13-2016, 09:09 AM
We like Wet And Wild better than Aquatica, http://www.wetnwildorlando.com/?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%20Brand%20[OUS-WEST-EAST]%20(S)%20^KW%20*AD

Thanks, might check wet and wild out!

93legendti
01-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Thanks, might check wet and wild out!

You're welcome. I think we have been there 3 times...lines are short.

54ny77
01-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Looking out my office window there's snow on the ground.

Florida sounds wonderful. A permanent vacation sounds just about right. :beer:

bcroslin
01-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Looking out my office window there's snow on the ground.

Florida sounds wonderful. A permanent vacation sounds just about right. :beer:

Come on down. You're the kind of New Yorker we need MORE of.

ultraman6970
01-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Lol

come on down. You're the kind of new yorker we need more of.

madencbm
01-13-2016, 11:42 AM
See the real Florida nearby. Go to the natural springs, there are several parks near Orlando. Rent a canoe, walk the trails. Water temperature is constant throughout the year. Depending on temperature, or with wet suit, you can swim and use mask in the crystal clear waters.

Vinci
01-13-2016, 01:16 PM
You could go see the Blue Man Group at Universal. They are there permanently with regular shows.

Ralph
01-13-2016, 03:26 PM
I live on the N side of Orlando....and haven't been to the Disney area in over 20 years as a tourist. It's not Florida to me.

Take the kids and go to Sanibel Island. Rent bikes, and those things that hook up to Mom and Dad's bikes for the little ones, and ride around everywhere on the bike paths. Watch the sun set at Blind Pass at night while kids play in surf. Ride to the ice cream shop near Bailey's general store at night. Ride fat tire bikes thru the Bailey Tract (it's flat and easy)....on single tracks. Take the Ding Darling National Wildlife tour road. Or the tour bus....look for gators. Relax and get on Island time.

My youngest son....who has small kids.....just rents a condo for a week at a time....usually near the middle of the island. One of those rent by owners places.

J.Greene
01-13-2016, 03:51 PM
The villages, Sanibel, all of Florida's west coast is where old folks go to die. Screw that! With kids the ages you have you're doing the right thing. Go have kid fun. My next suggestion would be to go to the keys and fish, crab and snorkel every day. The kids will never forget it. You can rent a boat and keep it tied up outside of where you're staying.

joep2517
01-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Ralph is spot on about Orlando and the parks. I grew up here and have been here more than 50 years. Saying that for children - I'd recommend Sea World and Busch Gardens.

My wife works for Universal so I'm partial to them although we have annual passes to the Mouse. Of the two big parks in Orlando - Disney caters to children more. And Universal is for older children (teenagers) - more roller coasters and faster rides than Disney. If your children like Harry Potter than Universal may be worthwhile. There are other areas there but, like I said, it can be scary for younger children.

Other thoughts -

Wet 'n Wild is closing this year. I'm not sure when.
Go to St. Augustine - explore the old city.
Go to Kennedy Space center - it is dumbed down but to see stuff from NASA is fun.
Go to Sanibel or Sarasota to hang out on the beach.

BTW, Blue Man is fun. Your older child will have fun. Not sure about the 5 year old.

If you go to Universal City Walk go to NBC Sports Bar - its new. Lots of brew and good food. Fancy restaurant out there would be Emerils. BUt that's pricey.

If I think of other things I'll add them to the thread.

J.Greene
01-13-2016, 03:52 PM

Typhoon wasn't bad, expensive, if I recall correctly.

But we usually go to both wet and wild and Aquatica... Our success at non water Disney parks was limited...

We were there. Few years ago when kids were 11 and 7

Better go soon if you want to again. Wet n wild is closing. I spent 3 summers there as a lifeguard in college. I met my wife because of that place.

93legendti
01-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Better go soon if you want to again. Wet n wild is closing. I spent 3 summers there as a lifeguard in college. I met my wife because of that place.

Good to know. The water parks are all the same to me (but for price) - my kids sure like them.

ariw
01-13-2016, 05:24 PM
I will shamelessly plug my hometown of sarasota as a great destination, but don't dismiss legoland for kids 11 and under. Ours are 6 and 9 and we have annual passes.

Ari

bostondrunk
01-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Thanks all. I'll have to have another look at Lego land. I think I had dismissed it on our previous trips as I had read a good amount of neg reviews..

Blizzard Beach has probably been the kids favorite destination so far, and its so easy to go to as the disney buses go by the Swan/Dolphin several times per hour to take you there (and to all the other Disney parks).

buddybikes
01-13-2016, 08:38 PM
I took my kids at that age to San Diego, which to me was much more enjoyable.
Let kids play on the beach for half the day... No charge and you get to enjoy the scenery