PDA

View Full Version : Post fusion - 1st time spinning!

buddybikes
01-12-2016, 02:49 PM
4 weeks ago, L4/L5 fusion and today happy, got on a bike at the YMCA and did 15 min of spinning. 10mph, but my legs went round and round. Water therapy begins next week. Dr. said I will be riding on my FF for Geekhouse in 2 more months.

thwart
01-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Glad to hear it, I hope things continue to go well. :beer:

Fellow fusion patient (neck, C5-C6-C7, October) and no road miles for me 'til March.

Never thought I'd appreciate the trainer like I do now. ;)

NHAero
01-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Would you say something about what prompted the fusion? I have both L4-L5 and L5-S1 herniations, and have lost some leg muscle use in left leg from the consequent nerve damage. Is the fusion a way to guarantee no further degradation in the joints fused? What are the trade-offs/downsides?

Thanks!

katkeeper36
01-12-2016, 04:46 PM
Congrats on getting back in the saddle. - spinning and grinning! Just take your time and let your body heal...here's my story.

I got in an accident in 1991. Fractured T5, T6, and L2 - hip to neck brace for about 6 months....total loss of nerve response in left foot, and lost ALL skin down the right side of my body. It took about 2 years but my left foot nerves regenerated, no major lasting problems (after about a year of chiropractor visits.)

Ah, my beautiful Torpado!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1676/23975878869_82563e0c8e_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CwEDtT)

buddybikes
01-12-2016, 09:11 PM
In my case spondylolisthesis and stenosis, was a clear cut decision. End of Oct, and Nov could only walk out to the mailbox in deep radiating pain right side. Could ride my bike about 4-5 miles tops, bending over on bike actually felt better because it stretched out back to give some space in canal.

I had ongoing lower back pain and saw the neurosurgeon as a "just in case" and turned into a savior situation, as I was able to get cut in 4 weeks, by a world class surgeon/hospital. This is a key - find the best. I ended up making decisions and scheduling before my primary care even said "I agree" which he did after seeing me in Nov. I found the surgeon on my own, fortunately a good friend had similar surgery successful by same doctor.

buddybikes
01-13-2016, 07:11 AM
If your spine is straight and it is disc degeneration, a full blown fusion probably not warranted. There are out patient procedures if required if just disc.
Hard core PT (resistance training) however is the first line treatment - 3 mos.

rwsaunders
01-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Rapid healing and good karma to all of you folks out there who have had recent injuries. May there be many good miles in your future. :banana:

ariw
01-13-2016, 05:51 PM
I have had fusion at l5-s1 after 2 micro discectomies, this was 5 years ago now. Full recovery takes a while, be careful and build back up slowly.

Ari

buddybikes
01-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Did 20 min of walking in a pool, some kicks and leg movements, walked out of water and immediately felt legs weak. Then look in the mirror and see my hamstrings half of what they were. Yes I will be a good patient, remember what i went through before the surgery.