PDA

View Full Version : Cupertino CA -- low-traffic loop recommendations?

danield
01-12-2016, 02:40 PM
Wife and I are visiting friends in Cupertino this long weekend and hope to get a couple of rides in. Seen a few general recommendations in other posts and the Stanford cycling page, but can anyone link me to a fairly low-traffic loop under 100k? Looking for something on the mellow side of things. Thx!

foo_fighter
01-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Any ride you do must include Old La Honda.
Here's the famous portola loop:
http://www.rahul.net/kenton/fun/bike/Portola_Valley_Loop.html
Pretty flat/mellow, you could go up Old La Honda and then back down Hwy 84 to add to it.

Here's the longer loop with old la honda and tunitas(an amgen TOC climb)
http://ridechronicles.com/2014/05/10/old-la-honda-pescadero-stage-tunitas-creek/
It's not really a mellow ride though.

Here's a really hilly loop:
http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/about/ring-of-fire-map-pg79.htm

Here's a short ride closer to Cupertino:
http://www.mapmyride.com/us/cupertino-ca/mt-eden-loop-route-73556994

It's supposed to rain this weekend though....=(

mvrider
01-12-2016, 05:09 PM
One man's "mellow" is another man's "epic". Old La Honda and Tunitas Creek Roads are must-ride roads, but are hardly mellow, with 7 - 9% grades. Tunitas Creek itself is running right now, and the climb through the redwoods is stunning... in between deep breaths. Kings Mountain Rd is the best descent in the area.

I don't know your exact starting point, but for a very mellow ride that incorporates part of "The Loop", try:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11787968
52 miles, 2400 ft of climbing. There are endless variations, including exploring the residential roads through Los Altos.

Along the way, Bicycle Outfitter is a good shop that can dispense advice. You must stop at the Woodside Bakery (before it shuts down), and admire the uber bikes parked outside. There is also good food in Ladera Shopping Center in Portola Valley, on Stanford campus, inside Stanford Shopping Center, or on Alameda de las Pulgas.

On Canada Rd, check out Pulgas Water Temple (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulgas_Water_Temple), which is accessible only by bike or on foot. If you like gardens, you can also check out Filoli (http://www.filoli.org/).

Another option closer to Cupertino are the rides around Stevens Creek Reservoir. But I think the scenery further north is better, with less car traffic (plenty of bike traffic on the weekends!).

Or, bring your mountain bikes, and check out the numerous trails in the area!

Lionel
01-12-2016, 06:03 PM
From Cupertino head up Montebello road, continue on the dirt path that connects to Page Mill road. From there go back down or head towards the ocean for a longer option.

danield
01-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Thank you all! Just the kinds of options I was looking for...

Hoping the rain doesn't stick around long this weekend, otherwise I guess it's day trips to our alma maters Berkeley and Davis and a lot of nostalgic pizza...

cnighbor1
01-12-2016, 06:50 PM
go to my club Grizzly Peak cyclists for ride cue sheets
https://www.grizz.org/routes/
I ride up mt diablo with you starting out of Walnut Creek

pdmtong
01-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Thank you all! Just the kinds of options I was looking for...

Hoping the rain doesn't stick around long this weekend, otherwise I guess it's day trips to our alma maters Berkeley and Davis and a lot of nostalgic pizza...

You won't recognize Berkeley. It's been sanitized.
That said, the only thing that matters is Top Dog still rules.
Go Bears!

mvrider
01-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Zachary's Pizza is still awesome, even from the newer East Bay suburban locations.

Hindmost
01-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Looks like "big" and moderate rides have been suggested. From Cupertino look for McClellan or Homestead roads headed west. Then look for Stevens Canyon-Foothill-Junipero Serra going north (or South into the Canyon) to access the areas suggested. These roads can be rides themselves.

A stop at Cupertino Bike Shop, new location on Foothill, is recommended. If you are riding on a weekday, rush hour traffic in the area can be a little hectic.

MadRocketSci
01-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Zachary's Pizza is still awesome, even from the newer East Bay suburban locations.

Zachary's is just a knock-off of the Chicago stuffed-pizza places like Giordano's and Edwardo's. Patxi's is a knock-off of Zachary's. Coming from someone who's spent many hours of life standing outside the Zach's on college ave waiting to get a table.

The big news to me is that the Woodside Bakery is closing? Where would I get my post ride self-serve ice water and fruit tart now??? Next you're gonna tell me the Little Store is gone....

Oh and for the OP's question.....find Montebello Road and go up it....great climb, very low traffic. Technical descent that can get narrow (1.5 car widths) in a few places, but great views of the south bay. If you can do dirt/gravel you can continue on the trail and ride into Palo Alto via Page Mill, another great technical climb/descent. If you want a loop tagup with foothill expressway back to the bottom of montebello. Foothill Expwy is not low traffic but is a well-used road with great wide shoulders. will take you past bicycle outfitter too.

Bostic
01-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Saw this while searching. Month to month lease, told to pack up and go.

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/blogs/p/2015/11/28/woodside-bakery-is-closing

For mellow, I would stick to Steven's Canyon to Mt. Eden to get in a little climbing then return via Pierce to get back to Saratoga Sunnyvale Road.

BrakeL8
01-13-2016, 01:10 PM
If you decide to do Old La Honda you can always drop down HWY 84 a bit and climb up the back side of Old La Honda. Very low traffic and incredible views from that side. Alice's restaurant up there is a well known spot to grab something to eat if you'd like.

Stevens Canyon that was mentioned is great for the low traffic and mellow that you are looking for and could be incorporated with Mt. Eden. Redwood Gulch is back there if you want a serious challenge and miserable steep.

danield
01-13-2016, 04:51 PM
You won't recognize Berkeley. It's been sanitized.
That said, the only thing that matters is Top Dog still rules.
Go Bears!

My wife's the smart one -- I went to Davis. [EDIT: I love Davis though and it is an excellent university in its own right!] She's been going on about Cheese Board...

Thanks again everyone for the recs. I may have a solo day to try some of the more substantial climbs. Will report back with some fotos!

pdmtong
01-13-2016, 05:04 PM
My wife's the smart one -- I went to Davis. [EDIT: I love Davis though and it is an excellent university in its own right!] She's been going on about Cheese Board...

Thanks again everyone for the recs. I may have a solo day to try some of the more substantial climbs. Will report back with some fotos!

Cheese Board - get there early for best choice. Across the street is Chez Panisse, ground zero for all of California cuisine and farm to table movement (eat upstairs, no reservations, more affordable) and Peets Coffee #1

if you look at a map, you will see a handful of ways to get UP to skyline from the flats. from south to north they are
1) highway 9
2) page mill road
3) old la honda
4) highway 84 (note only go down, not safe for up too narrow)
5) kings mountain road.

OLH is 3.3/1300' steady 8%. my daughter did it in 45 minutes at age 9. Fast guys are sub 20.

The most compact is up OLH down 84 as has been suggested. Just be very careful on skyline. many folks have collided head on into oncoming vehicles making a left in front of them.

you havent mentioned your (winter) fitness. any of these ascents require the perseverance to chug up hill for 25-60 minutes...we mention them since riding in the redwoods and seeing the ocean is one of the beauties of being here.

pdmtong
01-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Zachary's is just a knock-off of the Chicago stuffed-pizza places like Giordano's and Edwardo's. Patxi's is a knock-off of Zachary's. Coming from someone who's spent many hours of life standing outside the Zach's on college ave waiting to get a table.

The big news to me is that the Woodside Bakery is closing? Where would I get my post ride self-serve ice water and fruit tart now??? Next you're gonna tell me the Little Store is gone....

when I lived in Chicago for grad school I liked edwardos crust and giordanos filling, or was it the reverse? zachs is a knock off but IMHO the best we have out here.

the woodside bakery closing is a debacle. I was just there yesterday. its the only place where dream bikes and cars are parked and no one gives a second look. I will miss the double espresso and Hamantash a lot. my daughter could always be bribed into a ride if we stopped for hot chocolate with fresh whip cream. word is the landlords want Mayfield Bakery in there. Mayfield is great ,but the idea of a 30+ year place getting launched rubs me wrong.

malbecman
01-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Well, you prolly wouldnt recognize Davis anymore either. I work on campus and we are well on our way to 30K+ undergrads plus the law school, MBA school and schools of Vet Med, Medicine, and now a school of Nursing. 350 new Profs, too. Crazy growth. Wish I owned a small apt building. Plenty of good biking, though.

Enjoy your visit and hope the weather holds out for you.....