PDA

View Full Version : Credit card international transaction fee....

SPOKE
01-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Looks like I got dinged with an "international transaction" fee on my first order from Ribble Cycles in the UK. Is this common? How do I avoid this fee in the future??

R3awak3n
01-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Looks like I got dinged with an "international transaction" fee on my first order from Ribble Cycles in the UK. Is this common? How do I avoid this fee in the future??

paypal?

Joachim
01-12-2016, 01:59 PM
There are credit cards without international transaction fees. Citi for example

AngryScientist
01-12-2016, 02:02 PM
There are credit cards without international transaction fees. Citi for example

that's the ticket, you choose the correct credit card.

SPOKE
01-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Thanks Guys! That's what I thought.

zap
01-12-2016, 02:21 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Cap1 is another.

echappist
01-12-2016, 02:33 PM

correct

yngpunk
01-12-2016, 02:37 PM

I think Capital One offers this on all of their cards, which are all no annual fee. Chase has begun offering no international transaction fee as well, but don't know if it is all cards.

LJohnny
01-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Paypal is convenient, but it is not the answer regarding saving the conversion fee. Paypal always has exchange rates that are in their favour, by at least 2 to 3 points, so, I use them, but I am aware that I am actually indeed paying extra for the convenience.

verticaldoug
01-12-2016, 02:59 PM
US Banks fees and credit card interchange are the most unregulated and much much higher than in Europe. In general, you are better off buying in dollars on RIBBLE and letting Ribble handle the conversion. Today, spot is 1.4459. If you are buying in USD on their site, their conversion ratio is 1.45. BofA base rate looks to be 1.5329.

bobdenver1961
01-12-2016, 03:02 PM
My last order Bank of America when I used their credit card charged me around $23.

I did another order for about the same amount of merchandise and used my Paypal credit card. The charge was about $3

Bob

R3awak3n
01-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Paypal is convenient, but it is not the answer regarding saving the conversion fee. Paypal always has exchange rates that are in their favour, by at least 2 to 3 points, so, I use them, but I am aware that I am actually indeed paying extra for the convenience.

but don't you pay exactly what wiggle says?

You don't pay wiggles price in pounds and then PP converts to dollars, you pay whatever wiggle tells you you have to pay in dollars. At least its what I remember, its been a while since I bought from a non US shop

SPOKE
01-12-2016, 03:15 PM
US Banks fees and credit card interchange are the most unregulated and much much higher than in Europe. In general, you are better off buying in dollars on RIBBLE and letting Ribble handle the conversion. Today, spot is 1.4459. If you are buying in USD on their site, their conversion ratio is 1.45. BofA base rate looks to be 1.5329.

That's what I did. Fifth Third Bank MasterCard Platinum.....3% international transaction fee. 😱

LJohnny
01-12-2016, 03:17 PM
but don't you pay exactly what wiggle says?

You don't pay wiggles price in pounds and then PP converts to dollars, you pay whatever wiggle tells you you have to pay in dollars. At least its what I remember, its been a while since I bought from a non US shop

Right, but if you compare the exchange rate PayPal uses to, for instance sites like XE that keeps realtime rates, they are usually in their favour by 2-3points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biker72
01-12-2016, 03:26 PM
This happened to me three years ago with Bank Of America. I called customer service about it and got the fee taken off the bill.

I now have 2 BOA credit cards. One for everyday stuff in the USA and the other "Travel Card" that I use for no fee overseas purchases.

verticaldoug
01-12-2016, 03:34 PM
This happened to me three years ago with Bank Of America. I called customer service about it and got the fee taken off the bill.

I now have 2 BOA credit cards. One for everyday stuff in the USA and the other "Travel Card" that I use for no fee overseas purchases.

They are probably taking spread out of you somewhere, the only question is where.

spartanKid
01-12-2016, 03:37 PM
AmEx also offers no foreign transaction fees...if you can find an international business that takes AmEx......

fuzzalow
01-12-2016, 07:33 PM

Ribble collects payment in GBP. GBP only. Whatever they show a buyer on their website, in the buyer's home currency, is for illustrative purposes only and as a convenience.

You buy something, whatever the GBP-USD conversion rate is on the date your CC or PayPal books the transaction, you will get dinged at whatever the worst FX spot rate was on that day. It just happens! Let gowa my arm!

I mostly buy Campagnolo, whatever the transaction costs are I just eat it. I'm already as ahead as I'm gonna get buying Campy from the UK. Same for with Assos. Whaddaya gonna do? Gotta pay the vig.

m_sasso
01-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Recently Paypal sent Canadian users a new policy update, as of April 13, 2016 all cross border sales will now be hit with a 3.7% payment fee, a 0.8% transaction fee and a 30 cent fixed fee per transaction.

Are these companies not making enough money?

I don't sell much on here, an occasional spare part that may not have fit on a build however I will no longer be accepting Paypal payments. I can't do much about there greed except keep them out of my wallet.