PDA

View Full Version : Friend died

vaxn8r
06-01-2006, 05:29 PM
http://www.registerguard.com/news/2006/06/01/d1.cr.fatal.0601.p1.php?section=cityregion

Jane was a friend of mine. She rode year-round, every week like clockwork. She was phenomenally fit, super smart and a fantastic human being. Her death hit the community here like a ton of bricks.

Apparently the four riders were in a paceline on a narrow section of road I've ridden a thousand times. The second rider went down, not sure if the log truck bearing down forced the situation but there are potholes on that section he may have hit. Anyway, rider 3 just missed him and Jane ran over him and rolled toward the center line and the log truck rolled right over her killing her instantly. Horrifying!

Sometimes I wonder what the he!! I'm doing on a bike...

Fixed
06-01-2006, 05:40 PM
bro i'm not very good with words but I think she put more life in hers than most people do that die of old age .

Tailwinds
06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Vax, I am very sorry to hear that. Remember all the good stuff. Prayers going your way -- and hers.

bcm119
06-01-2006, 05:54 PM
This has been bothering me and I didn't even know Jane; its scary when something like that happens in your own back yard. Really makes you think about our sport. Logging trucks whiz by all the time, and its just a matter of inches. This accident has been discussed quite a bit on the obra list today and it seems that the details are still fairly sketchy... but like KevinK said it doesn't matter much right now.

Very sad to hear about this.... I think the entire Willamette valley cycling community is pretty shaken today.

Bud
06-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss. It sounds like the community will miss her terribly. I'll be thinking of you, and of her memory.

Peace-

catulle
06-01-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm very sorry to hear the sad news. My wife has been in CT for a week, and today told me she heard in the news somewhere that so far some twelve cyclists have died in the state this year. I'm not at all religious, really, but I'm sure God must have a special place for cyclists when they die.

chrisroph
06-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Vax, what a tragedy. There are no words that can adequately express the sadness I know we all feel when something like this occurs. My thoughts go out to Jane's family and friends.

Big Dan
06-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Bad deal.... :(

Saxon
06-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Vax. What a horrible waste.

ClutchCargo
06-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Very sorry to hear the tragic news. Sometimes there's just no explantation. Cherish your loved ones.

BumbleBeeDave
06-01-2006, 08:29 PM
There are some instances when I am totally left without anything to say because there are no words I know that can adequately express the emotion I am feeling. This is one of them.

My thoughts and prayers will be with her and with you, Vax, in the hope that in some small way it will help.

BBD

obtuse
06-01-2006, 09:00 PM
i'm very sorry for your loss. it'll never get better; but with love and friendship and memories and time it will get easier.

obtuse

Len J
06-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I have no adequate words.

Know that you're not alone and that neither is she or her loved ones.

Hug your loved ones.

Len

gasman
06-01-2006, 09:09 PM
I spoke with her husband this evening. He is, of course, devastated but has taken some heart in the kind words that many have offered to him. There will be a memorial and they are trying to figure out where to have it for the hundreds of people that want to attend. She touched many lives.
Be careful out there.

jasont
06-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Very sorry man.

davids
06-01-2006, 09:31 PM
I am so sorry to hear this - what a horrible tragedy! Take some consolation in the good times you shared with her.

IXXI
06-01-2006, 09:47 PM
My respects as well. Honor her by doing what you--and she--loved to do. You know she will share your joy.

texbike
06-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Many prayers to her family, friends, and community.

Texbike

Kevan
06-01-2006, 09:59 PM
how much she and we love this crazy sport of ours. We know the risks are high, yet the road is always calling and we're always answering it.

Peace be with Jane and her own.

gasman
06-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all the kind thoughts, I will sure to pass them on to her husband and family.

I have always hated the section of road where she was killed even though I have been over it at least a hundred times because it connects some great routes. I'll ride it again but it's going to be a while. I'm sure Vax feels the same.

Fixed
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
god bless

slowgoing
06-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Sad story for everyone. Sorry for your loss.

William
06-02-2006, 05:21 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. Our hearts go out to everyone who was touched by her.

William

Nora
06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I didn't know Jane, but I feel like I just lost a friend.

Kevan
06-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the kind thoughts, I will sure to pass them on to her husband and family.

I have always hated the section of road where she was killed even though I have been over it at least a hundred times because it connects some great routes. I'll ride it again but it's going to be a while. I'm sure Vax feels the same.

to urge an improvement to that roadway.

wasfast
06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
On a related note, I saw an article in the Oregonian last Friday that a couple was killed near Forest Grove. They were very experienced, dedicated cyclists, husband and wife. They were struck by a woman in her mid 40's, cause unknown. The woman died at the scene, the husband died in route to the hospital. Very sad.

PanTerra
06-02-2006, 05:46 PM
This is tragic. I hate reading about these accidents. It just reminds me that there is always the chance that someone you ride with may not be riding with you next year. Please submit something about Jane on http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php under the In Memoriam section. I lost one of my team mates, Gary Glickman, in 2004.

Serpico
06-02-2006, 05:55 PM
sorry about your friend