PDA

View Full Version : Thermacell Heated Insoles

onekgguy
01-12-2016, 07:51 AM
My toes are good for about 90 minutes in -10 f before the numbness begins to set in. I saw these (http://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-ProFLEX-Heated-Insole-Battery/dp/B00K97XY9I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1452606309&sr=8-4&keywords=thermacell+proflex) at Gander Mountain yesterday and one of their employees told me that they sell hundreds of them.

Does anyone have experience with these for cold weather cycling?

Thanks!

Kevin g

franswa
01-12-2016, 08:37 AM
Wow. -10f! I bought some from REI but havent used them yet. Only been in the 30s here.

onekgguy
01-12-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm very comfortable at temps that cold and colder as long as I'm moving. With pogies to keep my fingers warm I'm in search of something to take the chill out of my toes. I like the idea of a remote control device to turn the insole heater on and off but some of the reviews I've read leave much to be desired about the product while others seem quite pleased.

Kevin g

JAGI410
01-12-2016, 08:50 AM
I've been tempted to try them, but haven't read a convincing enough review to spend the money. Foot powder + wool socks + Keen boots have kept me plenty comfortable in negative temps. I have given up on SPD solutions for the winter. Riding with a friend in -8 temps on Sunday, he had cold feet with battery heated socks and 45Nrth Wolvhammer boots, while I was perfectly comfortable with my setup.

onekgguy
01-12-2016, 10:48 AM
I've been tempted to try them, but haven't read a convincing enough review to spend the money. Foot powder + wool socks + Keen boots have kept me plenty comfortable in negative temps. I have given up on SPD solutions for the winter. Riding with a friend in -8 temps on Sunday, he had cold feet with battery heated socks and 45Nrth Wolvhammer boots, while I was perfectly comfortable with my setup.

I haven't tried foot powder but I've got wool socks and another windstopper sock over that. How does foot powder help?

Kevin g

R3awak3n
01-12-2016, 11:22 AM
My feet get freezing in like 40 degrees with rapha winter booties and woolie boolie socks. I have been thinking about these insoles but at that price maybe I should just consider winter shoes.

eippo1
01-12-2016, 11:23 AM
I haven't tried foot powder but I've got wool socks and another windstopper sock over that. How does foot powder help?

Kevin g

Your feet will inevitably sweat and the powder keeps them dry. Once your feet are wet and cold, good luck staying warm.

onekgguy
01-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Your feet will inevitably sweat and the powder keeps them dry. Once your feet are wet and cold, good luck staying warm.

That's sort of what I figured. It makes sense. Thanks!

Kevin g

Jgrooms
01-12-2016, 01:13 PM
90 min at -10 F ? That's pretty good.

I use an older version of these:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/12/acbb217478c4de48b161c6e8ae683d19.jpg

I've inserted the elements into various thicknesses of cycling insoles. The batteries, designed for a boot, tend to move a bit much on a cycling bootie. However, a simple velcro wrap takes care of that.

Low 20's start to upper 20's finish to get 4-5 hrs in is my use. I have 2 sets of batteries & set 'em on hi, then go to #2 later.

Beyond insoles, the best trick imo is a shoe 1 size up. Got to be able to wiggle those toes. And layers. Thin moisture wick base, thick wool next.

I'm using a reg mtb shoe, as I've never liked the ankle coverage from a 'winter shoe/boot'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAGI410
01-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Supposedly the foot powder also irritates the skin slightly and encourages blood flow. People have used black pepper for the same effect but I'll pass on that experiment!

thwart
01-12-2016, 02:30 PM
beyond insoles, the best trick imo is a shoe 1 size up. Got to be able to wiggle those toes. And layers. Thin moisture wick base, thick wool next.

+100. Worthwhile investment if you ride winter miles.

old fat man
01-12-2016, 03:39 PM

I've inserted the elements into various thicknesses of cycling insoles. The batteries, designed for a boot, tend to move a bit much on a cycling bootie. However, a simple velcro wrap takes care of that.

Low 20's start to upper 20's finish to get 4-5 hrs in is my use. I have 2 sets of batteries & set 'em on hi, then go to #2 later.

Beyond insoles, the best trick imo is a shoe 1 size up. Got to be able to wiggle those toes. And layers. Thin moisture wick base, thick wool next.

I'm using a reg mtb shoe, as I've never liked the ankle coverage from a 'winter shoe/boot'.

My pal uses the hotronics. He has extensions, run up the tights to his jersey pocket so the batteries are up out of the way and not sagging on the shoe covers. I'm going to try these in my ski boots if it gets cold enough in New England this winter to warrant them.

onekgguy
01-12-2016, 04:08 PM

I'll use platforms when it get into the teens as the boot I use is warmer than my Lake MTB boots. I can usually stay pretty warm without anything other than my normal two layers of socks down to around 20. Less than that and the cold will eventually settle in over time.

Yes, an extra size larger is the way to go and I'm also careful not to lace my boots up very tight.

I'll have to take a look online at your setup. Thanks!

Kevin g

onekgguy
01-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Supposedly the foot powder also irritates the skin slightly and encourages blood flow. People have used black pepper for the same effect but I'll pass on that experiment!

Perhaps if I get desperate enough I'll give it a go!

Thanks!

Kevin g