PDA

View Full Version : Boot Dryer Advice

tedschwartz
01-11-2016, 06:29 PM
So being that I live in the Northwest I'm in search of a decent boot dryer. Ideally it should fit two pairs (3 pairs?) of shoes. After a brief search on Amazon I became a little overwhelmed by the choices. I know plenty of you folks are serious about riding all year round so I figured I should reach out.

What do you paceliners recommend?

Thanks!!!!

MesiJezi
01-11-2016, 06:47 PM
I have one of these:

http://amzn.com/B001MTO180

It only dries one pair of shoes/boots at a time, but it does a pretty good job. It doesn't use any kind of forced air so it's quiet, it just has a little resistance heater that does the trick. It is a little slow, but if I get wet shoes on it when I get home from work they're warm and dry in the morning! It really does help keep your shoes from getting smelly--just don't put your already smelly pair on it cause you'll clear the room if not the house.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 06:48 PM
So being that I live in the Northwest I'm in search of a decent boot dryer. Ideally it should fit two pairs (3 pairs?) of shoes. After a brief search on Amazon I became a little overwhelmed by the choices. I know plenty of you folks are serious about riding all year round so I figured I should reach out.

Thanks!!!!

I never wear booties. When I had them, they were too hard to get onto my shoes. You had to be Magilla Gorilla to put them on, and then when I got them on, I had a hard time clipping into my pedals because they kept slipping down over the cleats. They finally ripped apart, and I never replaced them. Of course, we don't have the extremely cold winters you guys have, either. Usually when it rains, I choose not to ride, unless I go out and get caught in the rain.

With any kind of boot, whether it's bike related, hunting, or skiing, it's stick them in my utility room sink and let them dry out. Then stick them near the vent under my dry sink in the kitchen. The dry sink traps the heat from the vent, which works well enough to dry the footwear and keep them toasty warm as well.

I know that doesn't help you, but I just use the practical approach. I didn't even know they made boot dryers, so I learned something new today.

gdw
01-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Pack them with old newspaper and save some money. The newspaper draws the moisture from the leather/fabric and speeds up the drying time. 6-10 hours -overnight- and they should be ready to go. Do a Google search and you'll find plenty of suggestions on the best method.

old fat man
01-11-2016, 08:07 PM
I have one of these:

http://amzn.com/B001MTO180

It only dries one pair of shoes/boots at a time, but it does a pretty good job. It doesn't use any kind of forced air so it's quiet, it just has a little resistance heater that does the trick. It is a little slow, but if I get wet shoes on it when I get home from work they're warm and dry in the morning! It really does help keep your shoes from getting smelly--just don't put your already smelly pair on it cause you'll clear the room if not the house.

I use this one as well. I am very happy with it. It lives in the basement with my bike gear and space is not an issue. I had something like this previously and it was great for its compact size, but when it died, I went to the bigger unit

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W6JY36?psc=1

Buzz Killington
01-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Check out www.seaproductsonline.com, we bought a serious ski boot dryer from them, but they have smaller consumer units as well.

HenryA
01-11-2016, 08:36 PM
I have a Peet dryer. It's just great.

JAGI410
01-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Google DIY PVC Boot dryer. You can make it out of pvc fittings and attach a hair dryer to it. Should be easy to do and much cheaper than any other store bought solution.

Louis
01-11-2016, 09:50 PM
How about if you just lay them on the ground side by side, but with the tops / opening pointing in the same direction, then you take a small "desk" fan, put it a foot or so away and blow into the boots? Let that go overnight, and by morning they should be dry.

http://www.tech-styling.com/wp-content/desktop-fan.jpg

Tandem Rider
01-12-2016, 05:21 AM
Second the Peet, no blower in ours so it's silent, glove attachments, extension tubes for tall boots. There is a little heater in the bottom warms the air, and it rises through the boots or whatever and they are dry in a few hours.

Davist
01-12-2016, 05:25 AM
3rd on the PEET, we have one for both my stuff and my wife's skates (she's a professional ice skater) works great, gentle on the leather, highly recommend.

jr59
01-12-2016, 06:21 AM
I use this one as well. I am very happy with it. It lives in the basement with my bike gear and space is not an issue. I had something like this previously and it was great for its compact size, but when it died, I went to the bigger unit

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W6JY36?psc=1

Me too. I have used it For a while now. Works great

chiasticon
01-12-2016, 06:27 AM
for drying/airing out my shoes, I just put them near the dehumidifier in the basement. in fact, this is pretty much where I always keep my cycling shoes, unless it's summer. keeps 'em from getting too stinky. if I get caught in a rainstorm or have to hose 'em off after a muddy cross race, I'll remove insoles and stick newspapers in for a few hours. after that, an overnight dry near the dehumidifier is all they need to be fresh as a daisy.

super simple and might be something you have around anyway. and you can definitely use the same trick with winter shoes/boots.

palincss
01-12-2016, 07:05 AM
I never wear booties. When I had them, they were too hard to get onto my shoes. You had to be Magilla Gorilla to put them on, and then when I got them on, I had a hard time clipping into my pedals because they kept slipping down over the cleats.

They work a lot better when you get the right size.

palincss
01-12-2016, 07:07 AM

Thanks!!!!

When my shoes get wet I stuff them with balled up newspaper and put them in front of the refrigerator door, right where the exhaust air comes out. Change the newspaper a couple of times and by next morning the shoes are completely dry.

Frankwurst
01-12-2016, 07:26 AM
Peet as well. We have two of them. :beer:

bearcrawl
01-12-2016, 08:39 AM
I've had this thing plugged in for 7 years STRAIGHT.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-PEEM97FSB?src=Y0807GL0N0N10000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CNWyzv2_pMoCFQdqfgodsu0P8Q

Still works perfectly. Use it everyday summer and winter.

01-12-2016, 10:25 AM
About the best is to go with artificial leather shoes (i.e., no D2's or Fizik's, as much as I love those two) and when you replace your clothes dryer, get one with a drying rack inside. You can circulate air at anything from room temperature to very warm, and let your cycling clothing and shoes sit on the rack. It's made for drying sweaters and works great for cycling clothing. Including shoes.