PDA

View Full Version : Now this a bike tour

bobswire
01-11-2016, 04:25 PM
I could envision Velotel putting something like this together.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/travel/france-from-inside-cycling-trips-pyrenees/#.VpQpnZMrKX0

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 04:32 PM
I have a lady friend, who did a tour of the Pyrenees on her Lemond Zurich. The bike literally fell apart, forcing her to buy a new bike while in Europe. Instead of buying an Italian or high end European bike, she bought a carbon fiber Specialized Roubais, a nice bike, but an American bike? Come on, while in Europe, you buy a De Rosa or Colnago or something exotic. I love to tease her on her purchase.

weisan
01-11-2016, 05:20 PM
I have a lady friend, who did a tour of the Pyrenees on her Lemond Zurich. The bike literally fell apart, forcing her to buy a new bike while in Europe. Instead of buying an Italian or high end European bike, she bought a carbon fiber Specialized Roubais, a nice bike, but an American bike? Come on, while in Europe, you buy a De Rosa or Colnago or something exotic. I love to tease her on her purchase.

But that's the most commonly used or sponsored brand (Specialized) in the peloton at the moment in the European grand tours and races....so that kinda makes sense.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 06:29 PM
But that's the most commonly used or sponsored brand (Specialized) in the peloton at the moment in the European grand tours and races....so that kinda makes sense.

She told me it was mainly because she was short on funds. I guess she could also beat the customs scrutiny if she left the country with an American bike. She came into Europe with an American bike and left with one as well. Don't get me wrong. That bike is a nice bike, and she is a good rider, but it does help that it's carbon fiber. I used to have a Kestrel, but it just wouldn't hold up frame wise and I traded it for a steel bike and some US $'s.

dave thompson
01-11-2016, 06:42 PM
I've had two Specialized; a Roubaix and Roubaix S-Works. Both damn good bikes and could do most everything my Time and Look could do. No shame in having them.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 06:55 PM
I've had two Specialized; a Roubaix and Roubaix S-Works. Both damn good bikes and could do most everything my Time and Look could do. No shame in having them.

I agree, but when you make a trip to Europe and need a bike, I would just have to buy one of those Italian made bikes.

It's funny, now, but I've been on a lot of rides with different people, and I'm seeing less and less foreign made bikes, though one guy was riding a Colnago last Saturday. All I see now are Treks, Fujis, and Cannondales. I still ride my Lemond, 2003 model, but they no longer make Lemonds.

jlwdm
01-12-2016, 12:26 AM
I talked to a friend in Scottsdale Friday night who was on his way to a send off party for someone who is riding Cairo to Capetown. He will be on a gravel grinder. My friend and two others are joining the ride for the last 1200 miles starting in Namibia.

Jeff

Louis
01-12-2016, 01:11 AM
I could envision Velotel putting something like this together.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/travel/france-from-inside-cycling-trips-pyrenees/#.VpQpnZMrKX0

I might be able to do that in 24 stages, instead of 12.

marciero
01-12-2016, 07:35 AM
Love the maps. Love the photos. Thanks for sharing.

Fatty
01-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Right, with a half a dozen rest days thrown in.

oldpotatoe
01-12-2016, 12:04 PM
I agree, but when you make a trip to Europe and need a bike, I would just have to buy one of those Italian made bikes.

It's funny, now, but I've been on a lot of rides with different people, and I'm seeing less and less foreign made bikes, though one guy was riding a Colnago last Saturday. All I see now are Treks, Fujis, and Cannondales. I still ride my Lemond, 2003 model, but they no longer make Lemonds.

Foreign made, yes, Italian made, mostly no. Italian/European companies but most sourced from Asia.

Ronsonic
01-12-2016, 08:56 PM

Depending on credit card limits I could do it in 12 months.

Louis
01-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Agreed. What's the big rush?

RonW87
01-13-2016, 09:09 AM
It's funny, now, but I've been on a lot of rides with different people, and I'm seeing less and less foreign made bikes ... All I see now are Treks, Fujis, and Cannondales.

"I want some American food, dammit! I want French fries!".

martl
01-15-2016, 04:50 AM

...assuming it "makes sense" to purchase the most advertised product. Well, then it follows it is the best, innit? :D

Plum Hill
01-15-2016, 07:16 AM
On the bike issue, Europeans lust after American things as much as we lust after the Euro stuff.
Years ago I was in a shop in Como, Italy. I was drooling over the French blue Pinarello Paris when in came three locals. They were after the new Cannondale that arrived that day.
The first LA TdeF Trek 5200 (the yellow one) I saw was in Lausanne, Switzerland, long before I saw one stateside.
Finally, there was this little shop in Interlaken that I liked to visit. I called it Colnagos Are Us, as that's all he sold. Many years later it featured nothing but Treks. The owner said he sold more Treks than Colnagos.

Back to the topic at hand...Pez finally loaded so Im off for a read.

Pastashop
01-15-2016, 08:38 AM
Wow. Thanks for sharing. $4200 per person, plus tickets... I'm gonna stop buying bike crap for 2-3 years to save up, which also would give me almost enough time to get back into shape sufficient to make it at least halfway through the tour.