PDA

View Full Version : OT: Powerball - $1.5 Billion - what would you buy?

Tony T
01-11-2016, 01:47 PM
I'd have a personal bike mechanic and masseur on staff
…and I'd build a my own velodrome :)

edit: After seeing some responses, think I'll sponsor a pro cycling team also :)

bikerboy337
01-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Loved this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NYWNthcUAE

At least he's honest...

avalonracing
01-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Most of a Rapha kit.

Lewis Moon
01-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Hookers and blow.

No, really, I'd either give 99% of it away or form some sort of charitable trust. No one needs to be that rich.

Tony T
01-11-2016, 01:52 PM
..I'd either give 99% of it away or form some sort of charitable trust. No one needs to be that rich.

If the winner takes the lump sum, after taxes it's only $450 million ;)

Cameron
01-11-2016, 01:56 PM
"only"

Total chump change :D

I'm with Lewis -- I'd be giving a lot of it away. Crazy to think you could donate hundreds of millions of dollars to whatever you deemed fit and still be left with a vast fortune.

AngryScientist
01-11-2016, 01:56 PM
i'm in the office pool, because you simply cant be the sucker stuck at your desk if all of your co-workers hit the big one.

if i win, i've got all sorts of plans already. there is literally no amount of money i cant find a way to spend. some of these plans make me absolutely giddy sitting here thinking about them.

AngryScientist
01-11-2016, 01:57 PM
If the winner takes the lump sum, after taxes it's only $450 million ;)

i could spend that kind of scratch in a long weekend. easy.

dsimon
01-11-2016, 01:58 PM
A house:mad: a bike:help: and a white trash RV:help:

MattTuck
01-11-2016, 02:00 PM
haha, honestly, what would I spend it on?

Well, a lot of builders' waitlists would be getting longer, so get your deposit in now ;)

I'd build a large cycling center in NH or Vermont. It would include 2 CX courses and an indoor and outdoor velodrome. I'd try to sponsor a pro level race that ends at the outdoor velodrome.

I'd buy an A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down, a Mercedes 280 SL, a Facel Vega, a 1950's era Ford Pick up Truck, and a few houses.

After that, I'd really have to think what to do with the rest of it.

seanile
01-11-2016, 02:01 PM
a city block in boston. clear it, green it, turn it into a pump track.
and a merc amg wagon.
then pay off my direct family's bills i guessss.

MattTuck
01-11-2016, 02:06 PM
a city block in boston. clear it, green it, turn it into a pump track.
and a merc amg wagon.
then pay off my direct family's bills i guessss.

If I win, you can locate your pump track at my cycling center.

wildboar
01-11-2016, 02:09 PM
NPR played this over the weekend:

http://www.npr.org/2016/01/10/462555691/how-220m-changed-a-lottery-winner

Bikes seem to be a priority!

seanile
01-11-2016, 02:10 PM
If I win, you can locate your pump track at my cycling center.
hell, why not both!

purpurite
01-11-2016, 02:16 PM
It's multi-generational wealth. There are no limits.

I'd buy a vintage 911 or an outlaw 356. Or both. And a small house on a big lot with a pole barn for a garage shop. It wouldn't take a lot to make me happy(er).

EPIC! Stratton
01-11-2016, 02:29 PM
No student debt for me and family (as well as close friends).
No other debts for family (as well as close friends).
House.
Replace car.
Establish trust for my family, as well as trusts for family members.
Establish a charity and start seeking groups to donate funds to.

No one needs 1.4 billion dollars, and you can't take it with you when you die. That said, you could live very comfortably and you could do so much good for others and future generations.

Tony T
01-11-2016, 02:30 PM
NPR played this over the weekend:

Bikes seem to be a priority!

That was a fun read!

"DUKE (Lottery Winner): The thing that I was thinking about was what kind of new bike I can buy. I'm into cycling, and one of my fantasies is just getting a really high-end road bike and a really high-end mountain bike.

MARTIN: Yeah, $220 million would do it.

DUKE: Yeah. And that really was the first thing that I did. I stayed in my house, drove a used car for, you know, up to three years afterwards. The more I started to fantasize about what I could do with the money, the more I felt like I should try and keep my feet on the ground and change as little as I could."

velotrack
01-11-2016, 02:45 PM
I'd let as few people know I won as possible.
Pay off college tuition.
Buy a few bikes.
Finish paying off parent's mortgage. Let them retire (I'm young)
Buy some property of my own.
Continue to work towards self improvement/my own goals.

In other words, I don't want this money to drastically change or ruin my life.

MattTuck
01-11-2016, 02:49 PM
oh, yes. I forgot, I'd also buy a cycling team. And run it like a drunk russian oligarch. I'd publicly berate my riders when they failed to win races and tell them that I'd like to not pay their contracts. I would have the best kits in the peloton though, I'm I'd bring in BBDave as a design consultant. :hello:

rugbysecondrow
01-11-2016, 02:53 PM
This is a funny conversation, and a fun daydream.

$450,000,000 would gain about $73,000 a day in interest...it would be a full time job figuring out how to spend that kind of money.

I have young kids, they still have school to attend, a regular life of activities to lead, so I would try not to change too much. Time is a huge luxury for me, so I would hire people to help with everyday activities, a private chef, somebody to do my laundry and housecleaning...basic stuff. I would also indulge in classic muscle cars and trucks...true works of art.

Work wise, I would create a makers studio myself and other creative types could create, churn ideas, generate projects and products and use the money to launch them into the world. A huge lab/workshop/thinktank with tools, studios, individual and group space, technology resources, marketing professionals etc. A real hub for germinating ideas and breathing life into them.

That would be completely cool and exciting. So, that is what I would do. :)

2LeftCleats
01-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Make my own BB standard.

Mark McM
01-11-2016, 03:16 PM
$450,000,000 would gain about $73,000 a day in interest...it would be a full time job figuring out how to spend that kind of money.

Wait a minute ...

$73,000 dollars of interest a day on a $450,000,000 principal is an annual interest rate of about 6%. Just tell me where I can get 6% interest these days (on any amount of principal) and I'll be happy.

MattTuck
01-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Make my own BB standard.

Now THAT is funny.

FastforaSlowGuy
01-11-2016, 03:22 PM
?nd I'd build a my own velodrome :)

With $1.4 billion, I would also get a masseur for my bike.

sandyrs
01-11-2016, 03:29 PM
I'd buy the Rockefeller Preserve in Westchester from the state (let me pretend they would ever sell it) and continue to maintain it by its current rules with one revision: bikes are allowed on the sick carriage roads

Waldo
01-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Some peace and quiet, that's what I'd buy.

54ny77
01-11-2016, 03:32 PM
solid.

Make my own BB standard.

batman1425
01-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Big things:
Pay off student loan debt for my family, my sister, and my best friend from college.
New Car and a big chunk of cash for above mentioned best friend - which I would deliver in person to him in Alaska.
Set up trusts for my 3 cousins college educations.
Pay off my parents, aunt, and uncle's houses + 3mil in cash and new autos for each.
Buy my parents a vacation house somewhere warm of their choosing.
Buy my sister a house + 3mil in cash and new auto.
Some new autos for my wife and I and Property/Homes of daily use and vacation varieties.
Set up an endowed lecture series, and scholarship/student travel awards at my undergraduate and graduate alma maters
Underwrite a variety of charitable and technology things I've seen over the years that have a chance at making a difference in this world.
Take frequent family vacations in places we've always wanted to go, 1 or 2 big trips a year.
Flying lessons and a small aircraft once I'm trained.

Small-ish (relatively speaking) things:
Use a NetJet for a vacation shorter than 10days - always wanted to fly private, just once.
3 guitars from the Gibson Custom shop for my sisters boyfriend - he's a musician, and overall nice guy.
Bikes of course - and spend a lot of time riding them.

shovelhd
01-11-2016, 03:33 PM
I'd buy this forum just to kick out all the newbie trolls looking to snipe bro deals.

FastforaSlowGuy
01-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Some peace and quiet, that's what I'd buy.

You'll need a lot more than $1.4bn for this...

CunegoFan
01-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Crumpton T5 Ultralight
Pegoretti Day is Done
Eriksen Road
Gaulzetti Corsa
Calfee Bamboo
Firefly Ti-Carbon

Turner Czar

That should keep me happy for a while.

johnmdesigner
01-11-2016, 03:42 PM
With that kind of wealth you don't need to own anything.
Travel the world with a carry on bag and one pair of shoes.

rugbysecondrow
01-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Wait a minute ...

$73,000 dollars of interest a day on a $450,000,000 principal is an annual interest rate of about 6%. Just tell me where I can get 6% interest these days (on any amount of principal) and I'll be happy.

In a conversation about winning 1.4 Billion dollars, the 6% rate of return is what you think is unrealistic?

Plug in whatever number you want...it is a ···· ton of money.

brendonk
01-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Had this discussion with my wife last night. Building a velodrome was high on my list.
I'd love to go back to school and get a college degree in history. But I think a degree in economics first would be smart.
A lot of educators in my family--I'd build and fund a nursery/pre-school school where I went to college and set it up so all the kids of any campus employee could send them there for free until it was time for them to go to kindergarten. And all the current education majors would get valuable experience and class credit for student teaching there. Win win for everyone.
Scholarships set up in my school system.
Whatever my wife's school needs.
No debt for family and close friends.
A house or two. A car or two. Several bikes. And a tricked out sprinter van to haul them around to lots of cool rides.

fuzzalow
01-11-2016, 03:53 PM
That money is good only if it comes with anonymity. That kind of attention from falling into that kind of wealth has its downsides. For one, there is the likelihood that you and everyone of your family or loved ones will be subject to ongoing security detail & protection for the rest of their lives.

I know of "lucky" folks that grew up and lived with comfortable wealth all their lives, via family earnings from real estate holdings. Idle rich but still not blue blood in nature and longevity. Enough wealth for their own comfort but not enough wealth as dynastic in the manner of influencing society as in the Kennedys of yore or even a Langone in the modern day. They for the most part came across to me as bored as they indeed acted the part of listless, jaded boredom.

I'd like to have enjoyed some of that life, if only for a little while. But the grass s always greener...

In answer to this thread: I'd take flying lessons towards building my certification for an instrument jet aircraft certification. And I'd buy a midsize Bombardier.

livingminimal
01-11-2016, 04:01 PM
I am a Non-Profit executive, I work specifically on issues of Homelessness and Domestic Violence. In the past I've been more focused on Poverty/Education.

I'd pay off the bit of debt I'm carrying, set up college-specific trusts for my kids (NOT trust funds) and I would load many millions into an endowment where the bulk of the interest gained would then become grants/investments into Non-Profits that work on issues I'm specifically interested in. Managing that endowment and portfolio of investments would then become a full-time job for me. I'd volunteer at least one day a week at my favorite food pantry, the place I cut my teeth as a case manager many moons ago.

Personal stuff, I'd get a couple of bikes. Normal cars, and probably a second home in Europe. Id likely set up a massive trust for myself and draw x amount dollars per month to live.

My life's work would be getting rid of the wealth through the endowment, that's for sure. I've seen too much in my career and seen too often how much of a difference generosity can make to do otherwise.

brownhound
01-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Belize.

Bruce K
01-11-2016, 04:12 PM
In a total fantasy of winning:

A vacation home on Sanibel/Captiva, FL big enough for my wife and me, our son, and 1 guest room

Travel

Several charities would get big checks or some type of annuity for annual giving

Not really sure after that

I might even want to keep working for a while (no BS) as I think I would get tired of planning constant "down tie"

BK

Louis
01-11-2016, 04:14 PM
I bet that for a surprisingly large % of the population winning that sort of a jackpot causes more problems than benefits and that in the long run many regret winning it.

Ignore this story:

http://www.mftd.org/Illustrations/4089a.jpg

velotrack
01-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Make my own BB standard.

:p

Or bring back an old one...

RonW87
01-11-2016, 04:17 PM
I don't like these types of conversations. I have tried to live my life on the basis that what I get out of life/job/relationships/family will be based on what I put into it. I don't plan tomorrow or next week or next year either on the basis that I'll be struck by lightning nor on the basis that I'll win a lottery. Lotteries are simply a tax by another name.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 04:24 PM
?nd I'd build a my own velodrome :)

I'd first inquire as to what kind of taxes I owed before any of that money was spent.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 04:26 PM
I don't like these types of conversations. I have tried to live my life on the basis that what I get out of life/job/relationships/family will be based on what I put into it. I don't plan tomorrow or next week or next year either on the basis that I'll be struck by lightning nor on the basis that I'll win a lottery. Lotteries are simply a tax by another name.

Well said. I have the same philosophy so I don't ever buy lottery tickets.

I laugh at people who win expensive cars, not realizing that the US taxes them on the value of that expensive car. Many people have had to sell their winnings just to get enough money to pay the taxes owed the government.

Seramount
to be honest, that kind of wealth is not within my comprehension.

I earn a basic salary, own my house, have savings, am about to receive an inheritance in the upper 6-figures, and Soc Security checks will start in a couple of years, too...

the possibilities of using even that amount of money is pretty overwhelming.

don't think I'm tempted to even upgrade my 17-yr old bike.

perhaps I lack imagination.

gngroup
One of these:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/5392537365.html

and one of these:
http://singervehicledesign.com/works/

cinema
01-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Sushi for every meal

Llewellyn
01-11-2016, 04:27 PM
I bet that for a surprisingly large % of the population winning that sort of a jackpot causes more problems than benefits and that in the long run many regret winning it.

Ignore this story:

I couldn't agree more. The potential problems in winning that sort of money far outweigh the "benefits". For the average punter a maximum of about a million at most is probably about all they realistically need to set them up.

merckx
01-11-2016, 04:41 PM
I'd keep my Waterford and Della Santa.

dave thompson
01-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Winning wouldn't change me a bit, though I may buy Mexico if I do.

commonguy001
01-11-2016, 05:16 PM
With that kind of wealth you don't need to own anything.
Travel the world with a carry on bag and one pair of shoes.

Jack Reacher without the low hotel budget
I like it

I'd get the new iPad mini with 128 gig of memory, thinking big!

Leoner
01-11-2016, 06:05 PM
A statistics text book to remind me how absurdly luck I was.

MattTuck
01-11-2016, 06:09 PM
The playboy mansion is for sale.

William
01-11-2016, 06:12 PM
Winning wouldn't change me a bit, though I may buy a Tequila distillery in Mexico if I do.

Fixed it for you!:D

William

AJosiahK
01-11-2016, 06:13 PM
I would pay off bills for everyone in my close circle of family, friends. Build them all bikes and plan an annual bike trip with them.

Do things together

Memories last, stuff doesn't (even a nice bike)

MesiJezi
01-11-2016, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't trust myself with it... I've discovered that the size of my bank account and number of possessions seems to have an inverse correlation to my level of happiness and stress. I think I'd help a few friends out, pay off family mortgages and debts, and then invest the rest and create a foundation that pays out monthly to my favorite non-profits.

makoti
01-11-2016, 07:40 PM

Ignore this story:

It's a risk I'm willing to take.

BumbleBeeDave
01-11-2016, 07:43 PM
oh, yes. I forgot, I'd also buy a cycling team. And run it like a drunk russian oligarch. I'd publicly berate my riders when they failed to win races and tell them that I'd like to not pay their contracts. I would have the best kits in the peloton though, I'm I'd bring in BBDave as a design consultant. :hello:

How about zebra stripes? . . . in every color of the rainbow . . . done with sequins! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
01-11-2016, 07:56 PM
. . . for as long as possible. Get some advice from lawyer friends, make plans.

Try to keep my feet on the ground.

One of my ex-girlfriends runs a non-profit land trust that provides affordable housing for families. They could use some help. Same for her church, where she is the treasurer.

Another could use help to get her 93 year old mother into some good assisted care.

I've got a friend who just has never had the cash to get himself a really nice bike. He deserves it.

Another has no idea how she is going to get her sons into effective drug rehab. She deserves some help, too.

Another friends runs a bike club and she and her husband coach a NICA high school mountain bike team. Bikes for the kids? Scholarships? Done.

Take all my friends to Acadia for a week riding the paved and carriage roads. One of my all time favorite places.

Another friend is a personal trainer. She would be such a great gym owner. She's also trying to pay for college for her son.

I'd take my daughter to Baja to pet the gray whales when they are down there. I always wanted to do that when she was young and never got around to it. She's 26 now.

Go see the Tour de France again. Get a custom head badge for the Queen Bee. New countertops in the kitchen. The ones in there now are this ugly linoleum. Finally get my driveway repaved.

You can't take it with you. Do some good with it. There's far too little of that in today's world.

BBD

Aaron O
01-11-2016, 08:02 PM
Not to sound too corny, but there's really not much I want. I'm sure I'd find new toys, and Id travel, but I'm pretty happy as things are.

zmudshark
01-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Here's the story of a guy who won $220milion in the lottery, and the first thing he did was buy some bicycles, then he did some other smart things, too.

Forgive if previously posted.

As a regular lottery player, Duke had let himself fantasize about what it might be like to win thousands of dollars someday. As a cyclist, he'd always daydreamed about owning a high-end road bike and a high-end mountain bike, which his actual windfall would certainly cover.

bikinchris
01-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Give two bikes to everyone who has bought a bike with me since I opened. Any bike of their choice.

I would build velodromes around the USA and try to revive the pro circuit like the one from the turn of the century.

People can't hound me for money if they can't find me. I would then travel the world with my Phase One kit taking photos of landscapes and my Nikon to take photos of wildlife.

bobdenver1961
01-11-2016, 09:47 PM
I would buy a Chrome Paramount. Been eyeing one of these for awhile now.

That and a new house to put it in. A new truck to pick it up. Etc.

Bob

milkbaby
01-11-2016, 10:01 PM
First I would buy two donuts and a coffee from my favorite donut place.

Then I would buy a small three bedroom house on a half acre fenced in lot so by dog could run around but I wouldn't have to do too much yard work.

That's about it. I'm already pretty happy, money won't buy me much more. ^_^

Louis
01-11-2016, 10:12 PM
http://www.tabletmag.com/wp-content/files_mf/hef620.jpg

Peter P.
01-11-2016, 10:14 PM
$1.4 billion dollars? I'd be an instant Republican, a 1 Percenter, even!

I'd buy a senator or congressman; maybe two. I don't know how much they cost; I could be shooting low. If so, then I'd buy an election. That sounds like fun.

Or I'd buy some land; probably an island because it'd be easier to make it my own COUNTRY. And with that country I'd buy a nuke to give me some street cred.

Elefantino
01-11-2016, 10:24 PM
A bike team and let Mike Creed run it.

jlwdm
01-12-2016, 12:11 AM
The playboy mansion is for sale.

It is for sale but with the condition that Heff gets to live there as long as he is alive - a life estate.

Jeff

unterhausen
01-12-2016, 12:31 AM
I would buy politicians. Ok, so I would hand out enough money that they would personally take my calls.

I sometimes think about stupid things like this while driving or riding. The one thing I would like to do is stop the infringement of State College into the mountains. Just buy up real estate that should have been part of the state forest.

My long term, "if I hit the lottery" idea is a velodrome. I would have to think about that one though.

Louis
01-12-2016, 12:42 AM
So where are all the other folks saying they would use the money to help feed the hungry, protect the environment and promote world peace?

Or have we given up on fixing that?

wildboar
01-12-2016, 01:27 AM
I'd probably get all these silver campy hubs built up.

CampyorBust
01-12-2016, 01:30 AM
I would buy a Stargate and some clogs, so that I could go back in time and hang out with this cat...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/IMG_1875_zpsxt3jsehb.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/PedalPusher33/media/IMG_1875_zpsxt3jsehb.jpg.html)

Louis
01-12-2016, 01:41 AM
I would buy a Stargate and some clogs, so that I could go back in time and hang out with this cat...

Having to drive that sort of vehicle would be a heavy price to pay.

Go for this instead:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/e7/42/d5/e742d52622bc84479c5aba0b40636690.jpg

flydhest
01-12-2016, 06:32 AM
So where are all the other folks saying they would use the money to help feed the hungry, protect the environment and promote world peace?

Interesting question. What do folks think is possible some of these lofty goals if a billion was going to be spent. You could imagine a two-fer by electrifying with solar a small region of an under-developed economy. Would it work long run? You could buy deforested land and reforest. How many Amazon acres would a billion buy? You could likely take a neighborhood in a US city and permanently change the lives of all the kids in an elementary school.

What would have a lasting effect, in your views?

unterhausen
01-12-2016, 06:43 AM

that's why the first step is buying the politicians. A billion dollars is chump change in the bigger scheme of things. I don't really want to get into a discussion of politics, but they are being bought now by the wrong people that want to arrange some sort of rent-keeping setup where they benefit a lot at the (small) expense of the many.

oldpotatoe
01-12-2016, 07:30 AM
Buy a flyable F-4 Phantom.

joosttx
01-12-2016, 07:43 AM
An election

AngryScientist
01-12-2016, 07:50 AM
in reality, what a chunk of $$ this magnitude buys that most all of us would kill for is TIME.

once you're relieved of the burden of working, and all of the "chores" of life, that opens up so many possibilities.

want to disappear on a sailing yacht for 9 months exploring the caribean with the wife? no problem.

the possibilities are endless. the big chunk of money buys freedom, and enough cash to finance any adventure you want to take.

jr59
01-12-2016, 07:53 AM
I have zero idea, but a couple of name changes would be in order, and my friend Peter would be getting a new neighbor in the Boulder! At least in the summer.

zap
01-12-2016, 07:55 AM
If I were sole winner, I could then make a case for purchasing a F1 race team.

Skenry
01-12-2016, 07:57 AM
I would have the craziest sex party imaginable. And I have a very vivid imagination.

After that week, investing, moving out of the country to a tax free region after a brief stop in Switzerland. Then maybe buy a winery and I have heard that the Playboy mansion is for sale...

dave thompson
01-12-2016, 07:58 AM
If I were sole winner, I could then make a case for purchasing a F1 race team.

You might be able to run a first class F1 team for maybe 3 years, then you'd be broke. But just think of the people you would get to hang with till then!

tuxbailey
01-12-2016, 08:05 AM
Find lawyer and accountant so I can stay anonymous. I am in MD which allows anonymous winner.

Take 2% out and blow it. Then find a wealth management company, so that I can get at least 3% return. Even 1% return is $4.5 mil a year...crazy.

Set up trust fund for my kid and nephews... also couple charities that I want to support.

Cars, bikes, computers, and camera lenses :)

Ray
01-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Interesting question. What do folks think is possible some of these lofty goals if a billion was going to be spent. You could imagine a two-fer by electrifying with solar a small region of an under-developed economy. Would it work long run? You could buy deforested land and reforest. How many Amazon acres would a billion buy? You could likely take a neighborhood in a US city and permanently change the lives of all the kids in an elementary school.

What would have a lasting effect, in your views?

If I suddenly had access to that kind of money, I wouldn't presume that I would be the best one to figure out how to give most of it away to good causes.

I'd probably keep many millions - maybe $20-30 million - I don't know exactly, but enough to buy and maintain another couple of residences, put plenty away for our daughters and any grandkids that might come. And, hell yeah, I'd live REALLY well for my remaining years. I'm already retired and living comfortably, so I think I could handle having more. It would change some of how I'd live but at this point, I don't think it would fundamentally change who I am. But I can't imagine finding any useful or even enjoyable way of spending and investing more than $10-20 million, so maybe I'd keep $20-30 just to err a little bit on the high side...

But beyond that, with the remaining several hundred million, I'd want to do something good with it. I'd probably make some pretty hefty gifts to a couple of causes I feel strongly about. But then I think I'd try to talk to someone at the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, maybe one or two other outfits like that, and probably ultimately add most of it to their coffers. Because they're already doing really good work, have good people working for them figuring out the best ways to spend it, their values are pretty much in line with my own, and I'd trust them to use it wisely more than I'd trust myself. They've had 30+ years of being enormously wealthy and plenty of practice at how to give away vast amounts of money constructively. I'd be a beginner and would probably do a pretty random and bad job of it.

So I wouldn't try to do a lot of good stuff with it myself - I'd interview a few who are already expert at it and let them do it...

-Ray

redir
01-12-2016, 08:15 AM
I guess all this dreaming is what it's all about. I hope you all like it because it's statistically impossible for any of you to win :p

Me? I won't be buying a ticket but I've been throwing spare change in a jar for the last two years and just counted it up. I won $750 dollars Woot woot! Down payment on my new Cannondale.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QvEK9ksm2Ug/VpQPAHEyQJI/AAAAAAAAPvw/RbryjD9v-GQ/w1516-h853-no/20160110_195654.jpg

rugbysecondrow
01-12-2016, 08:27 AM

Well said. I have the same philosophy so I don't ever buy lottery tickets.

I laugh at people who win expensive cars, not realizing that the US taxes them on the value of that expensive car. Many people have had to sell their winnings just to get enough money to pay the taxes owed the government.

I bet you guys are a lot of fun at parties.

Bob Ross
01-12-2016, 08:29 AM
A statistics text book to remind me how absurdly luck I was.

I worked for a guy ~28 years ago who, whenever someone talked about playing the lotery, would say "I studied Statistics & Stochastics in college; why would I want to spend more money just to prove what I learned then?"

zap
01-12-2016, 08:35 AM
You might be able to run a first class F1 team for maybe 3 years, then you'd be broke. But just think of the people you would get to hang with till then!

Oh, it would be run as a business........so would be able to have a longer run than that........especially if my countrymen are willing to sell me the Mercedes power unit. :beer:

paredown
01-12-2016, 09:02 AM

I'm not sure about world peace, but I would devote more time to our local Habitat, and start some match dollar programs going with some local folks who can afford to give. Essentially get it established on a professional footing, assuming we could find the right people to staff it.

I'm interested in a couple of other small-scale things like scholarship funds at colleges--I was the beneficiary of some of these--and even the small ones like the 'Book Prize' for best graduate essay I won made a big difference in my living situation.

Environment?--we scored a huge victory stopping a desalination plant locally with a coalition with Riverkeeper, Sierra Club and others, and yes I would help support them as well.

Going outside my local community--I would give more to Doctors without Borders and Oxfam.

I would buy a Porsche too--and a coupla nice bikes, hire contractors to finish this house and a few other mundane things.

Tony T
01-12-2016, 09:22 AM
I guess all this dreaming is what it's all about. I hope you all like it because it's statistically impossible for any of you to win :p

We realize that. This was just for fun. We all know that the winner will either be a hedge fund manager or a previous powerball winner ;)

Tony T
01-12-2016, 10:13 AM
LA Times Simulator: http://graphics.latimes.com/powerball-simulator/

PQJ
01-12-2016, 10:46 AM
We realize that. This was just for fun. We all know that the winner will either be a hedge fund manager or a previous powerball winner ;)

You're wrong - I'm neither!

Fatty
01-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Any debt that my family and close friends have would be erased.
That small handfull of people would never have any financial concerns.
My accountant and lawyer buds would have a new generous client.
I would give my house away first. Habitat for Humanity could have it with 100 grand to fix up anyway they want.
I would buy a top floor condo in downtown Chicago. With indoor parking spots.
A nice little estate in the south of France for the winters.
A mountain cabin with acreage top in NW Georgia, big old deluxe barn for my high end RV.
Staff with help, they would live well and put there kids through college on me.
Give away?
Drill wells in India so kids could have clean water.
Build, fund schools in run down foreign lands.
Help the people in this and other countries who truly can't help themselves.
That would be a good start.

kittytrail
01-12-2016, 10:49 AM
take the first check, go down to Pt. Reyes Station, get meself a green 58 or 59cm road frame(a froagdie?) to match my Terato-X and then ride away in the rollin' hills with a big smile. :D

getting one of Mike McDermid wheel fixture & dishing tool(with custom anodization of course), a fresh bag of salt & vinegar crisps and me old Spokey out to build more nice wheels to improve world peace and understanding would be nice too.

no car for me though. nor pool, AC, hookers and/or blow.

that's it. will think of what to do next when riding those Marin hills.

:beer:

Fatty
01-12-2016, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=redir;1893962]I guess all this dreaming is what it's all about. I hope you all like it because it's statistically impossible for any of you to win :p

It's only impossible to win if you do not play.
I rarely play but threw in $6 , bought my tickets on line.
Won $12 on that draw, played again. Somebody's going to win.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2014/8/29/1409309818066/Charlie-and-the-Chocolate-009.jpg

PQJ
01-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Never mind - can't figure out how to embed a video!
:crap:

Tony T
01-12-2016, 10:59 AM
I was surprised to hear that for the lat drawing that although more that 292 million tickets were sold that less than 70% of the possible combinations were picked.

Tony T
01-12-2016, 11:01 AM

Running a simulation on 500,000 picks (a bet of $1 million)
So far I've "won" $20,000 !! (on $200,000 spent ;))

oldpotatoe
01-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Winning wouldn't change me a bit, though I may buy Mexico if I do.

What about the wall?:D

redir
01-12-2016, 11:23 AM

Love that!

verticaldoug
01-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Larry Niven wrote Ringworld back in 1970. Part of the plot was how a powerful alien race 'puppeteers' used lotteries to selective breed humans for luck which was a genetic trait. I'm worried...

Any see my medication and tinfoil hat?

MattTuck
01-12-2016, 11:53 AM
I was surprised to hear that for the lat drawing that although more that 292 million tickets were sold that less than 70% of the possible combinations were picked.

It is a random draw with replacement when you do a quick pick. Just like if you were choosing randomly from a box with 100 balls, recording the ball you got and throwing it back in. It's highly unlikely that you'd pull out every ball just once before pulling out a ball for the second time. Imagine you had pulled out 75 unique balls. There are 25 unique balls left. But you'd have a 75% probability of pulling one of the 75 you already got once.

Tony T
01-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Love that!

Still running a 500,000 tickets ($1 mil).
Halfway through I hit a $1 million prize (odds: 1 in 11.7 million) :eek::eek:

dave thompson
01-12-2016, 12:22 PM
What about the wall?:D

I'd pay for the wall. It'll keep out the riff-raff.🚴

Skenry
01-12-2016, 12:52 PM

But it is possible that someone will win. For the return, it would be the best few bucks someone would ever spend. I'm in for $10 worth any time it gets over $400,000,000.00

rain dogs
01-12-2016, 01:05 PM
I do need some new AA batteries....

Ray
01-12-2016, 01:17 PM
I worked for a guy ~28 years ago who, whenever someone talked about playing the lotery, would say "I studied Statistics & Stochastics in college; why would I want to spend more money just to prove what I learned then?"

I've heard the lottery referred to as a tax on the mathematically challenged. But as someone else noted, the real value for the vast majority of us is it makes fantasizing almost mandatory. A few days of fantasy is a pretty decent payback for $5, so I see some value in it. And while my odds of winning are unbelievably small, they're no worse (dollar for dollar) than any of the other suckers putting their money in.

So, what the hell. It's either that or marrying Rupert Murdoch! As Mick said when having kids with Murdoch's new fiancee, "You know marrying money is a full time job/I don't need the aggravation/I'm a lazy slob"...

-Ray

soulspinner
01-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Honestly dont get it. I buy tickets to smaller lottery games. Guess Id rather have a couple million and no noteriety..........plus the odds are better although still outlandish........

likebikes
01-12-2016, 02:05 PM
so did someone win it yet?

batman1425
01-12-2016, 02:08 PM
Interesting article on the payout threshold needed for the value of the ticket to exceed the cost. Makes several key assumptions, but an interesting thought exercise.

http://time.com/money/4172196/powerball-math-odds-advantage/

Tony T
01-12-2016, 02:20 PM
For the casual player, this is entertainment, and cheaper than a day at Yankee Stadium (where a bottle of water costs $5)

seanile
01-12-2016, 03:40 PM
I've heard the lottery referred to as a tax on the mathematically challenged. But as someone else noted, the real value for the vast majority of us is it makes fantasizing almost mandatory. A few days of fantasy is a pretty decent payback for $5, so I see some value in it. And while my odds of winning are unbelievably small, they're no worse (dollar for dollar) than any of the other suckers putting their money in.

see, the whole fantasizing thing is why i only play once or twice a year. it's depressing! i get no value out of knowing that what i'm hoping and wishing for, all the wonderful things that could happen, aren't going to.

redir
01-12-2016, 03:59 PM
see, the whole fantasizing thing is why i only play once or twice a year. it's depressing! i get no value out of knowing that what i'm hoping and wishing for, all the wonderful things that could happen, aren't going to.

And in the addicted brain that hope builds up reinforcement mechanisms and learned behaviors that if we do it again we get that hope one more time. And so the cycle continues for those less fortunate.

jmoore
01-12-2016, 04:05 PM
I'd buy the ability to disappear from everyone.

superbowlpats
01-12-2016, 04:05 PM
Most of a Rapha kit.

That was hilarious :hello:

I'd buy Firefly. and lots of cars from here http://sloancars.com/

choke
01-12-2016, 04:13 PM
A villa in Italy.
A Confente.
A Lamborghini Espada.
I'd sponsor a women's cycling team.

jlwdm
01-12-2016, 04:21 PM
I only play the lottery if it is over $100,000,000, but not always. As it gets larger I always play. Putting in $10 or $20 for the large lotteries does not affect my life in any way but winning would affect my life substantially. I think it is always good to dream.

Jeff

Tony T
01-12-2016, 04:40 PM
And in the addicted brain that hope builds up reinforcement mechanisms and learned behaviors that if we do it again we get that hope one more time. And so the cycle continues for those less fortunate.

The "scratchers" are worse in that regard (I've never bought those)

choke
01-12-2016, 04:47 PM
I only play the lottery if it is over $100,000,000, but not always. As it gets larger I always play.I've never understood this....winning $40 million wouldn't make a difference?

josephr
01-12-2016, 04:49 PM
haha, honestly, what would I spend it on?

Well, a lot of builders' waitlists would be getting longer, so get your deposit in now ;)

I'd build a large cycling center in NH or Vermont. It would include 2 CX courses and an indoor and outdoor velodrome. I'd try to sponsor a pro level race that ends at the outdoor velodrome.

I'd buy an A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down, a Mercedes 280 SL, a Facel Vega, a 1950's era Ford Pick up Truck, and a few houses.

After that, I'd really have to think what to do with the rest of it.

You left out your Singer Porsche 911

brownhound
01-12-2016, 04:53 PM
A few days of fantasy is a pretty decent payback for $5, so I see some value in it.

Agreed -- it's actually helps me think of all the ways the money would screw up my life (and those around me), helped me to prioritize my real values, and made me somewhat more comfortable.

Interesting in that the fantasies are exercises in illusory gluttony.

Climb01742
01-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Part of the daydreaming is wondering, 'Do I take the upfront cash or 30-year payout?'

An educated answer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/upshot/dear-powerball-winner-take-our-advice-and-take-the-annuity.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

As others have said, I'd get family and some friends out of debt and try to give them financial security.

I'd give the college I went to a very large check but spend quite a bit of thought what it would be for.

But maybe the most fun and challenging task would be to research and educate myself on how to do philanthropy with 'impact'. Meaning how to create the most good with any gifts. Many foundations are essentially vanity projects. It would be gratifying to school myself on how to give so it really made a difference in the causes/issues that matter to me.

An example: Many years ago, two family members who had both attended a Southern university wanted me to go there to do post-graduate work. To entice me they set-up a scholarship fund in my name. Long story short, I never went but the scholarship fund was managed (quite well, it turns out) by the university's endowment and was given annually to two or three students. Usually the amount was about a quarter or third of a year's tuition and went to students in real financial need (vs academically awarded). Each kid each year, at the university's behest, writes me a thank you letter. Over the years, a number have blown me away and even more have truly been touching. To kids in need, a college education is not just their dream but also their family's. And can change their lives profoundly. Reading their letters about what the generosity of two family members meant to a couple of decades of kids has, I think, meant more to me than any post-grad degree could have. Giving really can change lives.

Ray
01-12-2016, 05:28 PM

I only do it on those rare occasions when it gets so big it's the lead story in the news. So, maybe once every 2-3 years. Maybe less, I'm not sure. I can't remember the last time I was in. And I didn't do anything this time - my wife just went in on some tickets with people at work. Which I presume I'd get to help her spend if she doesn't run off to Mexico without me... ;)

-Ray

gasman
01-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Great story Climb, thank you sharing. Giving a kid a chance for an education who would otherwise struggle to get one has to be one of the best ways to use your money.

Louis
01-12-2016, 05:44 PM
great story climb, thank you sharing. Giving a kid a chance for an education who would otherwise struggle to get one has to be one of the best ways to use your money.

+1

Frankwurst
01-12-2016, 06:18 PM
I DON"T know. I'd jump off that bridge when I came to it. Just like every other unexpected bridge I've come across in my life and there have been plenty. :beer:

jlwdm
01-12-2016, 06:28 PM
I've never understood this....winning $40 million wouldn't make a difference?

Not enough.

Jeff

Tony T
01-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Part of the daydreaming is wondering, 'Do I take the upfront cash or 30-year payout?'

An educated answer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/upshot/dear-powerball-winner-take-our-advice-and-take-the-annuity.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

What is he saying here?
Second, there are big tax advantages to the annuity. The main one is that taking the annuity is basically like letting the government hold onto part of your prize for a while and invest it for you and the government does not pay tax on investment income. Of course, once you get the annuity checks, you'll have to pay income tax on them. But if you take the lump-sum cash prize, you'll pay tax twice: on the prize when you win it, and on the income you get by investing it.

If I take the $800 million, I will pay tax on that, and then taxes on the income from the amount remaining after taxes. So if over 30 years I have $700m in income, I will pay a tax on a total $1.5b (over 30 years)
If I take the annuity, I will pay tax on the $1.5b payout (over 30 years)

I see no tax advantage to the annuity.

I'll take the cash pay-out and invest it in T-Notes ;)

tumbler
01-12-2016, 06:51 PM
What is he saying here?
Second, there are big tax advantages to the annuity. The main one is that taking the annuity is basically like letting the government hold onto part of your prize for a while and invest it for you and the government does not pay tax on investment income. Of course, once you get the annuity checks, you'll have to pay income tax on them. But if you take the lump-sum cash prize, you'll pay tax twice: on the prize when you win it, and on the income you get by investing it.

If I take the $800 million, I will pay tax on that, and then taxes on the income from the amount remaining after taxes. So if over 30 years I have $700m in income, I will pay a tax on a total $1.5b (over 30 years)
If I take the annuity, I will pay tax on the $1.5b payout (over 30 years)

I see no tax advantage to the annuity.

I'll take the cash pay-out and invest it in T-Notes ;)

This particular jackpot is so large that it complicates things, but with a smaller amount, the annuity option could provide tax advantages by spreading the income over a period of tax years so that less of it is taxed at the very top income tax rate each year.

Also, what would I do with $1.5 billion? Skewers... lots of skewers.

akelman
01-12-2016, 06:56 PM
I would give $4 million to every American and solve poverty!

(Oh, that meme. Oh, the innumeracy. Woe is me.)

Tony T
01-12-2016, 07:17 PM
This particular jackpot is so large that it complicates things, but with a smaller amount, the annuity option could provide tax advantages by spreading the income over a period of tax years so that less of it is taxed at the very top income tax rate each year.

Also, what would I do with $1.5 billion? Skewers... lots of skewers.

I do see an annuity advantage to an NYC Resident who moves to Florida after the win.

Louis
01-12-2016, 07:27 PM
I think we should have a forum group buy of tickets, but leave the details of how the money would be split up intentionally vague (clearly it should be done proportionally based on the quantity of posts the person has). That way we're assured of winning, only to have the whole thing devolve into a huge fight over who gets how much money. It would then be turned into a blockbuster movie about how money and social media are ruining everything and we would all become famous (but not rich, because the lawyers would get half of the money).

maj
01-12-2016, 07:35 PM
"Two chicks at the same time."

ultraman6970
01-12-2016, 07:36 PM
When did I talk to you about that?

rounder
01-12-2016, 07:42 PM
I only do it on those rare occasions when it gets so big it's the lead story in the news. So, maybe once every 2-3 years. Maybe less, I'm not sure. I can't remember the last time I was in. And I didn't do anything this time - my wife just went in on some tickets with people at work. Which I presume I'd get to help her spend if she doesn't run off to Mexico without me... ;)

-Ray

Same here. I am in but fully expect to lose. I bought a $10 ticket for Saturday and had one number on the whole ticket.

I was reading an MSN story about Powerball that said something like you can buy $590 million of tickets and guarantee a win (no doubles) but it would take about 9 years to draw them all (then you would likely have to share with other winners).

Louis
01-12-2016, 07:42 PM

Why limit yourself to just two?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTna_u0JL1lBzvcZqTJHHOygq3k2mgRu o0l9iRvy9agnbGhVNTDLQ

CunegoFan
01-12-2016, 07:44 PM

"Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money."

dsimon
01-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Don't know if someone else said it but I would buy the pacline and not change it and make sure it would go on forever

unterhausen
01-12-2016, 07:48 PM
I see no tax advantage to the annuity.What is the present value of the annuity?

we have historically low top tax rates in the U.S. I suspect that may change over the lifetime of the annuity. If the present value of the annuity is equal to the lump sum payout given a reasonable assumption of interest rate, then the lump sum is superior in just about any scenario. I haven't been keeping track of the tax laws, but my recollection is that the top tax rate tops out at a really low level compared to either the annuity or the lump sum. So that isn't really a concern unless you believe my thesis that the top rates are inevitably going up, in which case the lump sum is a no-brainer. OTOH, I am not sure I could possibly invest that amount with a higher return than the annuity gives.

Louis
01-12-2016, 08:05 PM
If the present value of the annuity is equal to the lump sum payout given a reasonable assumption of interest rate, then the lump sum is superior in just about any scenario.

I believe the NYT author is arguing that the NPV of the annuity will be significantly higher than the lump sum because the annuity is invested tax-free by whoever holds it for the govt. Obviously you'd have to run the numbers to check and make reasonable assumptions for the discount rate and taxes.

SlackMan
01-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Back to the original question: I'd take the lump sum, put half in a charitable trust to be contributed based on Copenhagen Consensus Center analyses, and then spend and invest the other half. I'd probably keep our current house, buy a few additional houses around the world, a few cool cars, and a fractional share in private jet ownership to start.

tele
01-13-2016, 05:49 AM
Welcome to the last day of work for me!
:p

nismosr
01-13-2016, 07:47 AM
House in Italy and France
Coffee shop/Bike shop in US, France and Italy -
All the bikes I could buy

unterhausen
01-13-2016, 09:47 AM
I would definitely quit my job and start riding all the time. Probably figure out where to go that's warm in the winter and has good riding.

I believe the NYT author is arguing that the NPV of the annuity will be significantly higher than the lump sum because the annuity is invested tax-free by whoever holds it for the govt. Obviously you'd have to run the numbers to check and make reasonable assumptions for the discount rate and taxes.I still think that the consequences of tax policy would have to be taken into consideration. The top rate doesn't have to go up much before the superior choice is to take a lump sum now
When I start fantasizing about winning a lottery, my thoughts inevitably stray to the realization that I would have a really hard time finding honest advice.

There was one lottery winner that got a 88 million payout and has spent 14 million of it bailing out her deadbeat boyfriend. You'd think that money could buy a better class of boyfriend, but the strength of codependent relationships cannot be denied.

kittytrail
01-13-2016, 10:24 AM
arf... did a coin toss to decide if i played or not and now that i won it against meself, i cannot "play". looks like all the world is buying tickets and no, reputable as far as can be seen/researched, online outlet/go-between takes orders anymore. bummer. :(

so long rolling, lush, hills of Marin county and thanks for all the dreams... :D

JAllen
01-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Why limit yourself to just two?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTna_u0JL1lBzvcZqTJHHOygq3k2mgRu o0l9iRvy9agnbGhVNTDLQ
Ha! Brilliant. :)

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Elefantino
01-13-2016, 07:40 PM
From Twitter:

"I would ask taxpayers to build me a new stadium."

fiamme red
01-13-2016, 07:42 PM
I would move next door to Velotel and shadow him on all his rides. :)

Tony T
01-13-2016, 07:52 PM

http://i.imgur.com/4d8pTH0.gif

93legendti
01-13-2016, 08:17 PM
I've heard 70% of lump sum winners go broke in a few years. I'd want to check that stat, but I think we'd take the annual payments providing the option was 100%/iron clad safe.

Pay off all debt. Help family members we know who could use help. Increase our donations to the charities we like. Ask those charities about projects that might need funding. Ask people I trust about their favorite charities. Take the same vacations, but travel business class. Buy a second dog. Hire a chef to put up with my "crazy" son's dinner habits. ;) Relax. Ride more. Buy a few used bikes. Try very hard not to blow it or take on airs like I guy I know after a local pharmacy his father had stock in was bought out by a national chain.

Tony T
01-13-2016, 08:59 PM
I've heard 70% of lump sum winners go broke in a few years. I'd want to check that stat, but I think we'd take the annual payments providing the option was 100%/iron clad safe.

If you can trust your State, sure. ;)

maj
01-13-2016, 09:33 PM
I'd love to establish an endowment to distribute scholarships and research grants for study in advanced mathematics, probability, and statistics funded by lottery winnings.

SlackMan
01-13-2016, 09:35 PM
I'd love to establish an endowment to distribute scholarships and research grants for study in advanced mathematics, probability, and statistics funded by lottery winnings.

Cute. I like it.

rounder
01-13-2016, 09:46 PM
I was listening to the news tonight. They said...

You are more likely to have a monkey drive you to your destination than win the Powerball.

You are more likely to be struck by lightning and be run over by a bus than to win Powerball.

You are more likely to be elected President 25 times than to win Powerball.

etc.

unterhausen
01-13-2016, 10:40 PM
well, the unconditional probability of you being in your current position is vanishingly small, but there you are.

beeatnik
01-13-2016, 10:45 PM
I'd buy 1.5 billion Power Ball tix

or

is it Powerball..

wait, powerball tix are 2 bux?

750 million Powerballz tix!

unterhausen
01-13-2016, 10:53 PM
I think you should get the poweraid or whatever it is that the $3 ticket is called.
Of course, then you could only buy an even 500 mil powerball tix

There were lines at all the stupid machines, which are a pain to use under the best conditions. Tonight wasn't the best conditions. So I went to the grocery, and there was just one older lady in front of me. She told the kid at the register that she wanted to pick her numbers, so he had to futz around with the computer terminal a while. I told them that I always wanted to pick the same numbers as the person in front of me. She and the kid laughed and she said that she could get by on half the money. We had a nice conversation, apparently she had never played before so I mentioned the lesser, marginally more likely prizes. So I already feel like I won.

Dead Man
01-13-2016, 11:01 PM
I would buy liquor, drugs, and women.

And that's why God will never let me win.

And that's why I don't even play.

beeatnik
01-13-2016, 11:11 PM
The B, I like your depraved style.

Scuzzer
01-13-2016, 11:15 PM
There were lines at all the stupid machines, which are a pain to use under the best conditions.

I unfortunately gassed up my car this evening at a usually relatively empty convenience store. There were 20 people in line buying lottery tickets and it was mayhem, must have been close to the cutoff line or something.

Twenty five years ago when Colorado started a lottery I made a promise to myself that if I ever went positive with my winnings I'd quit. That first drawing I bought $3 of tickets and won $5 so I quit. I can't remember what I spent my windfall $2 profit on but I'd like like to think it was ladies and booze.

ultraman6970
01-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Ok i did not win but was close in all the numbers... next time i guess :D

2LeftCleats
01-14-2016, 06:27 AM
Thankfully, the stress from worry about how my life would change is over.

oldpotatoe
01-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Thankfully, the stress from worry about how my life would change is over.

3 winners, poor things only get $500 million each(before taxes, etc)...:eek:

makoti
01-14-2016, 07:08 AM
3 winners, poor things only get $500 million each(before taxes, etc)...:eek:

Southern Ca, Tenn, and Fla. I know we have a lot of members from SC & Fla. Is somebody here very rich?! If so, can I have my $4 back?

Tony T
01-14-2016, 08:04 AM
I Won! I Won!!

$4 ;)

Tony T
01-14-2016, 08:26 AM
3 people in my state won the $1million (had they paid an extra $1, they would have won $2million)

Jackpot back to $40 million. (I'll play again if it ever gets up to $500)

maj
01-14-2016, 08:26 AM
My Powerball investment definitely underperformed. On a more optimistic note, my fall-back option with Publishers Clearing House may be moving to the up-side as they've been expressing much interest in recent correspondence.

bianchi10
01-14-2016, 09:07 AM
An ultegra groupset and wireless cateye....

soulspinner
01-14-2016, 09:09 AM
An ultegra groupset and wireless cateye....

:hello:

Louis
01-14-2016, 11:56 AM
My Powerball investment definitely underperformed. On a more optimistic note, my fall-back option with Publishers Clearing House may be moving to the up-side as they've been expressing much interest in recent correspondence.

Funny. :)

tuxbailey
01-14-2016, 01:49 PM
I won $4. Let see how the dividend reinvest strategy works out.

93legendti
01-14-2016, 08:29 PM
http://m.jpost.com/Diaspora/US-Jewish-philanthropist-bought-Powerball-ticket-for-lucky-employee-441597#article=6017RUJCMzUxQTM0OEVFNjgzMUYzRTBBREE 4NUMyRTQ1QjU=

"One of the three winners of the record-breaking Powerball lottery jackpot in the United States became wealthy overnight thanks to the generosity of her boss, one of the American Jewish community's leading philanthropists.

Shlomo Rechnitz, a health care magnate who owns 80 assisted living facilities throughout California, purchased nearly 18,000 lottery tickets for all of his employees, one of which happened to contain the winning numbers."

Dead Man
01-14-2016, 08:40 PM
http://m.jpost.com/Diaspora/US-Jewish-philanthropist-bought-Powerball-ticket-for-lucky-employee-441597#article=6017RUJCMzUxQTM0OEVFNjgzMUYzRTBBREE 4NUMyRTQ1QjU=

"One of the three winners of the record-breaking Powerball lottery jackpot in the United States became wealthy overnight thanks to the generosity of her boss, one of the American Jewish community's leading philanthropists.

Shlomo Rechnitz, a health care magnate who owns 80 assisted living facilities throughout California, purchased nearly 18,000 lottery tickets for all of his employees, one of which happened to contain the winning numbers."

WOW! that's freaken awesome story

fiamme red
01-14-2016, 08:43 PM

Shlomo Rechnitz, a health care magnate who owns 80 assisted living facilities throughout California, purchased nearly 18,000 lottery tickets for all of his employees, one of which happened to contain the winning numbers."True, he's an important philanthropist in the Jewish community, but his nursing homes have been under a lot of scrutiny lately.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/investigations/nursing-homes/article41344296.html

California's largest nursing home owner is facing a new round of government scrutiny as the FBI served search warrants last week at his Riverside facility, and two more of his former top administrators have been charged criminally by the state attorney general's office.

FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller confirmed Saturday that FBI agents executed search warrants "seeking evidence in relation to alleged criminal activity" at a 99-bed facility in Riverside owned by nursing home magnate Shlomo Rechnitz...

Louis
01-14-2016, 08:58 PM
True, he's an important philanthropist in the Jewish community, but his nursing homes have been under a lot of scrutiny lately.

Well, we know that at least one of his employees is unlikely to testify willingly against him.

93legendti
01-14-2016, 09:05 PM
WOW! that's freaken awesome story

Yup. Good boss.

fiamme red
01-14-2016, 09:11 PM
WOW! that's freaken awesome storyAssuming that it's true, but apparently it's not.

http://abc7.com/news/pomona-nurse-is-not-powerball-jackpot-winner/1159522/

A Pomona nurse identified by her employer as the winner of the record-breaking Powerball jackpot did not, in fact, win, her daughter told the Los Angeles Times.

The 62-year-old woman's daughter added that the situation was all a misunderstanding.

California Lottery officials said they were skeptical after a spokesperson for nursing home owner Shlomo Rechnitz said the winner was a senior registered nurse at Park Avenue Health Care and Wellness Center in Pomona.

Dead Man
01-14-2016, 09:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGgUmhmRTF0

Tony T
01-15-2016, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=fiamme red;1895975]Assuming that it's true, but apparently it's not.

Yeah, I'd say that the odds of that story being true were about 1 in 292 million.

93legendti
01-15-2016, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=fiamme red;1895975]Assuming that it's true, but apparently it's not.

Yeah, I'd say that the odds of that story being true were about 1 in 292 million.

Regardless, the boss buying tickets for all his employees was a nice gesture

"Rechnitz described the prank as "despicable" and told ABC News he wants the nurse to have some fun with the situation. He said he will buy an all-expense paid vacation for the nurse and her family to anywhere they choose."

weisan
01-16-2016, 10:22 PM
it sure feels like it... :D

http://alicehui.com/bike/mxl/31782-1.jpg

velotrack
01-16-2016, 10:30 PM
it sure feels like it... :D

Winning often times comes in different sizes and different forms. ;)

Louis
11-04-2022, 08:25 PM
Bump.

$1.5 billion again (some news sources say 1.6)

$746 million lump sum.

If I win I'll buy each and every one of you whatever 10 bikes you want and a lifetime supply of chain lube.

(Unlikely though, because I haven't played and I'm not going to, so your only chance is if I happen to find a ticket out in the parking lot tomorrow.)

Sarhog
11-04-2022, 08:34 PM
Bump.

$746 million lump sum.

If I win I'll buy each and every one of you whatever 10 bikes you want and a lifetime supply of chain lube.

(Unlikely though, because I haven't played and I'm not going to, so your only chance is if I happen to find a ticket out in the parking lot tomorrow.)

So…. You’re saying there’s a chance…:banana:
I’d like an S-works Aethos and a fancy Ti gravel bike. And a bottle of that green Dumonde Tech lube. :bike:

makoti
11-04-2022, 10:09 PM
Bump.

$746 million lump sum.

That gives you JUST slightly worse odds than if you bought a ticket

dave thompson
11-04-2022, 11:09 PM
So I just bought $10 worth of Powerball tix today. It’s worth the $10 to A: lay in bed tonight thinking about how the hell am I going to spend $750,000,000 in my lifer-time! B: to have a (minuscule) chance of actually winning something.

Louis
11-04-2022, 11:17 PM
how the hell am I going to spend $750,000,000 in my lifer-time!

How do you make a small fortune in social media? Start with a huge one and buy Twitter...

oldpotatoe
11-05-2022, 04:57 AM
I'd buy one of these and the crew to maintain it..:)
But really, make my whole family debt free, plus houses and cars, that stuff. Couple of "reasonable" aircraft for me.
Give a lot away. Even giving 90% of the lump sum away, still $45million.

For right below..Saab2000..I've heard that from more than a few airline guys..can't wait to get away from airplanes..

No airplanes for me

saab2000
11-05-2022, 05:08 AM
Make my family debt free and buy a condo in the Alps, probably Lucerne or thereabouts, and call it good. No airplanes for me. Maybe a Porsche 911.

Kyle h
11-05-2022, 05:33 AM
After I bought some frivolous houses and cars I’d like to open a gym for people with neurological conditions and fund it so members could use it free of charge. Really sad how poorly our society is setup to help people with disabilities.

Elefantino
11-05-2022, 05:45 AM
I'd buy Campy.

saab2000
11-05-2022, 06:01 AM
I'd buy Campy.

And create Super Record wireless fishing reels?

tuscanyswe
11-05-2022, 06:32 AM
Appart from the obvious things like paying for family members debt and making sure everyone has a good life (not filthy luxourious tho) with enough fonds not to worry about vacations or education of children etc.

Id like to start a magificent hangout for bikecouriers free of charge. Food beer pool darts etc in a bicycle shop merged environent.Basicly an awesome place to hang out..

Yeah wont need all that cash for that so like the rest of you id give most of it away to charities and organisation focused on a green future.

Id likely buy a car or 2 as well.. bikes yeah sure but honestly i dont really have one that i lust for atm (quite a nice feeling for a change).

Or i might get mad from the wealth and think i can master anything and anyone.. maybe id buy a stake in Ac Milan ;)

fignon's barber
11-05-2022, 06:33 AM
I'd use tubeless tires.......and pay someone to deal with the sealant.

tbike4
11-05-2022, 06:56 AM
I would ride 1000 gram tubular wheels and have a support vehicle follow with spares. And donuts.

buddybikes
11-05-2022, 07:24 AM
Raise my (small) house out of flood plane, buy house somewhere so we wouldn't need to live in trailer for 9 months. Forcefully buy my wife a custom e-bike, find a samoyed and dog walker with it. Get a truly historic clock, like Thomas Tompion, Graham or Willard. Give each of my teammates at work that have supported me 1M.

charliedid
11-05-2022, 07:40 AM
I'd start a foundation and give away grants for housing, education, business, environment and technology.

rain dogs
11-05-2022, 07:46 AM
I'd buy Twitter

gone
11-05-2022, 08:37 AM
I'd buy Twitter

At the rate things are going, with $750 mil you'd be able to and have some money left ;-)

rain dogs
11-05-2022, 10:26 AM
At the rate things are going, with $750 mil you'd be able to and have some money left ;-)

you understand me perfectly.

oliver1850
11-05-2022, 10:43 AM
I'd repave a bunch of roads in the area. Guessing I could burn through the winnings pretty fast.

Dekonick
11-05-2022, 08:38 PM
I'd repave a bunch of roads in the area. Guessing I could burn through the winnings pretty fast.

Oh, selfless and selfish at the same time! Win all around!

I would give a majority to mental health awareness and treatment and The Institute For Justice.

After your idea, I think I would donate some to buy land easements for trails and community education for our local police to include de-escalation training, mental health awareness training, and better overall education and awareness for politicians, public employees, and police on civil liberties. Since this is dreamland, why not spend 86 million on advertising about how civil asset forfeiture has become big business for government and that it is truly criminal how it is abused to steal from every day people. https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-06-09/fbi-beverly-hills-safe-deposit-boxes-forfeiture-cash-jewelry

Louis
11-06-2022, 04:32 AM
No winner on latest draw.

Now expected to be 1.9 billion on Monday :eek::eek::eek:

Not too shabby, even if you have to share it with a few other winners.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2022, 05:03 AM
I'd buy Twitter

Post of the Day:banana::hello:

Robot870
11-06-2022, 05:47 AM
I would ride 1000 gram tubular wheels and have a support vehicle follow with spares. And donuts.

Like^^

charliedid
11-06-2022, 05:53 AM
Post of the Day:banana::hello:

Indeed

RobbieTunes
11-06-2022, 06:05 AM
I’d have a free century, swag only if you finished, closed route, with tons of door prizes, Gordon Ramsey to cater. Categories by bike brand, bike age, a L’Eroica Not Quite division, a strict L’Eroica division, and a muscle bike division. Costume contest. There would be arm-wrestling. No human-based categories. Jens Voight would do stand-up.

7-page waiver, notarized, with DNA

cgates66
11-06-2022, 08:16 AM
…and I'd build a my own velodrome :)

edit: After seeing some responses, think I'll sponsor a pro cycling team also :)

Even after taxes and the upfront payment discount whittle this down to ca. $500MM, you're past the point where "what do I buy" is an interesting question.

With that amount of wealth, the better question is "what do I want to do do". I suspect that most lottery winners end up in dire financial straights is because they answer the former, repeatedly and often, and not the latter.

jpritchet74
11-06-2022, 08:23 AM
I might be the only one that thinks this way, but that's just too much money and I don't see how you prevent it from ruining your life. Aren't there groups of $hitty people that specifically target lottery winners?

For the safety of your family, you would probably have to change your identity, move, have security - no amount of money is worth that level of upheaval.

A lottery win of $10 million or less though, that would be perfect. Not enough money that you couldn't just keep living your life, but much more comfortably.

Chris(NJ)
11-06-2022, 08:43 AM
I just like watching people spend money on tickets every few days and going broke in the process of a pipe dream lol

Tony T
11-06-2022, 12:11 PM
Last time I bought a powerball ticket was in 2016 when it was 1.5b
Bought one today (I don’t buy for anything less than 1½b :))

bigbill
11-06-2022, 12:34 PM
We talked about this last night. We would live in a "compound" that was at least 500 acres with a paved perimeter road with no more than 2% grades with banking on the turns. Inside the perimeter would be a mtb park. We'd have two or more houses that are compounds so we can live in good weather year-round.

Since we're hundred thousandaires, I think my wife will humor my idea of having an old cabin cruiser painted to look like the Minnow next to our deck in Wyoming.

bikinchris
11-06-2022, 03:04 PM
I just like watching people spend money on tickets every few days and going broke in the process of a pipe dream lol

If you're going to win, one ticket is enough. If you're not, 10,000 tickets won't help.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the money.
1. Put it all in an interest bearing account. Live off the interest. Forever.
2. Help thousands of people and agencies who actually need help. Hire people to research agencies and people to donate to. Not a single one who asks for it.
3. Build velodromes in every state.

Ralph
11-06-2022, 03:33 PM
I will need a new roof on house in a few years.

Peter P.
11-06-2022, 05:51 PM
With great money comes great responsibility.

jlwdm
11-06-2022, 05:58 PM
I hate these recycled old threads. Yesterday I read a lot of posts until I came to a 6 year old post of mine and realized I was reading dated posts.

Jeff

RobbieTunes
11-06-2022, 06:07 PM
Last time I bought a powerball ticket was in 2016 when it was 1.5b
Bought one today (I don’t buy for anything less than 1½b :))Elitist.

Dekonick
11-06-2022, 11:17 PM
I might be the only one that thinks this way, but that's just too much money and I don't see how you prevent it from ruining your life. Aren't there groups of $hitty people that specifically target lottery winners?

For the safety of your family, you would probably have to change your identity, move, have security - no amount of money is worth that level of upheaval.

A lottery win of $10 million or less though, that would be perfect. Not enough money that you couldn't just keep living your life, but much more comfortably.

Yep. Isn't that statement insane? 10 million... Inflation, the hidden tax. Sigh... 10M would work just fine.

Louis
11-06-2022, 11:43 PM
Yep. Isn't that statement insane? 10 million... Inflation, the hidden tax. Sigh... 10M would work just fine.

$10 million? That will barely pay for fuel and maintenance of my new weekend getaway crib.

https://www.oceangetaways.com/cdn-cgi/image/q=85,f=auto/https://s3.amazonaws.com/oceangetaways-master/Image/7a/ea/e9/bdea3c7561aa48d1af8a404026ab1aed/bdea3c7561aa48d1af8a404026ab1aed.jpg

BrazAd
11-07-2022, 03:29 AM
But it is possible that someone will win. For the return, it would be the best few bucks someone would ever spend. I'm in for $10 worth any time it gets over $400,000,000.00

Yeah, cause $399,000,000 wouldn’t change your life that much… [emoji102][emoji2955]

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mg2ride
11-07-2022, 05:30 PM
Yeah, cause $399,000,000 wouldn’t change your life that much… [emoji102][emoji2955]

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. That is the irony of these Uber big jack pots. I honestly believe anything over 10Mil is a burden and yet I only play when it's crazy big.

C40_guy
11-07-2022, 05:40 PM
I figured it was time to go out and buy a ticket today.

Fact is, I'm more likely to die in a car accident on the way than to win the Big Bux. That having been said, my wife would get a pretty good payoff, so off I went.

Made it back in one piece, so I guess we'll have to make do with winning tonight. :)

R3awak3n
11-07-2022, 05:41 PM
I was seeing this thing about how much you will actually get.

Not sure now at 1.9 but when was 1.3ish (a different time) if you were in NY I think you would get about 350mil if you wanted the money right away.

I always buy tickets when its over 500 mil, not too many but I am ready for this one to get won because I am tired now of spending money on this lol.

Elefantino
11-07-2022, 08:33 PM
For $900,000,000+ in cash I'd buy Campy and Lightweight.

54ny77
11-07-2022, 08:45 PM
some tubolito tubes.

dmitrik4
11-07-2022, 10:56 PM
Agreed with the idea that a few million—enough to comfortably retire and do some fun stuff—is ideal. This amount is ridiculous and honestly I would figure out how to best give most of it away.

jpritchet74
11-08-2022, 07:31 AM
"The $1.9 billion Powerball drawing for Monday November 7 has been delayed due to technical issues with one of the participating states."

madsciencenow
11-08-2022, 08:47 AM
If you're going to win, one ticket is enough. If you're not, 10,000 tickets won't help.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the money.
1. Put it all in an interest bearing account. Live off the interest. Forever.
2. Help thousands of people and agencies who actually need help. Hire people to research agencies and people to donate to. Not a single one who asks for it.
3. Build velodromes in every state.

I like this! Not sure if I'd be able to get it all into that interest bearing account before paying off our home loan but I don't expect that it would appreciably impact anything as the amount we owe on the house is a rounding error at best, relative to $1-2 billion.

C40_guy
11-08-2022, 09:37 AM
"The $1.9 billion Powerball drawing for Monday November 7 has been delayed due to technical issues with one of the participating states."

Bastards. Do they know how much interest I'm losing on my $1.9B due to this delay?

[edit] At today's passbook savings rate of ~3%, I lost $156,000 overnight.

...but that's before taxes on a lump sum payout. Still...

benb
11-08-2022, 09:39 AM
Freedom to start. Then an off grid house with Solar and all that and an EV. Basically do all that stuff to get to a really green footprint that would take a few million to accomplish. Maybe a big enough property to be able to have our own MTB trails.

Then figure out how to give most of it away or at least just the right amount to be comfortable till we all died.

I have my hobbies, I don't crave any fancier stuff in most of them. I might go get my pilot's license and buy a plane though. Hard to say cause I can afford to fly as is and I choose not to due to where I live... it's not fun here due to the amount of traffic.

zmudshark
11-08-2022, 09:42 AM
I’d buy a Senator, maybe a few. I have ever else I want.

C40_guy
11-08-2022, 09:45 AM
Freedom to start. Then an off grid house with Solar and all that and an EV. Basically do all that stuff to get to a really green footprint that would take a few million to accomplish. Maybe a big enough property to be able to have our own MTB trails.

Maybe in Lincoln? You don't want to move too far out, right? :)

makoti
11-08-2022, 10:03 AM
Finally played. Tossed in $10 and picked my numbers. Should have done this a long time ago, if making money is that easy.
First play, and I only lost $6. I'm on my way!

kppolich
11-08-2022, 10:19 AM
993 C4S, Arctic White, Black Interior, Aerokit.
https://i.imgur.com/XuyQOWd.jpg