PDA

View Full Version : ot:Job/ Careers question

dsimon
01-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Has or does any body work in the corporate cycling industry? I am getting ready to retire from the military and have though about it Cannondale has a few jobs that seem interesting your feed back would be greatly appreciated.

AngryScientist
01-11-2016, 09:44 AM
i would tread cautiously. lots of times you making something you love your job is a highway to hating it.

dsimon
01-11-2016, 09:49 AM
I agree and i really dont like cannondale but if im comparing the top three i would prefer Specialized then cannondale then trek. However its a cooperate project manager. but I totally agree. i would love to work for a smaller better company but Izz got bills bozz and we know how that goes.

Elefantino
01-11-2016, 09:50 AM
I retired and went to work in a corporately-owned bike shop. Part of me wondered if what Angry said would be true in my case, but I've found it to be just the opposite.

Good luck with the next stage.

dave thompson
01-11-2016, 10:01 AM
I agree and i really dont like cannondale but if im comparing the top three i would prefer Specialized then cannondale then trek. However its a cooperate project manager. but I totally agree. i would love to work for a smaller better company but Izz got bills bozz and we know how that goes.

I hear the Army has a vacancy. 😬🚴

likebikes
01-11-2016, 10:03 AM
here's a very similar thread on the subject: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=171642

eddief
01-11-2016, 11:17 AM
everyone will have an opinion. You need to gather as much info as possible about the 3 variables above and then make an informed decision. You can tune it even more to department, manager, colleagues, culture, benefits, pay, commute, hours...on and on. But the top 3 are the top 3.

dsimon
01-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Thanks but I'm more interested in Corporate i know I have to pay the bills

eddief
01-11-2016, 11:19 AM
http://enve.com/careers/manufacturing-engineer/

rugbysecondrow
01-11-2016, 11:24 AM
If you really love riding (or insert hobbie here) will a business or career in that field kill it? If it does, did you really love it? Not sure.

I would caution that being passionate about bikes is different than being passionate about retail. If you are a project manager who loves doing that sort of work, then doing that work in an industry you love might be an awesome fit, go for it. You might move on to a different type of PM role later, but you won't regret the chance you took, but you will regret not taking it.

oldpotatoe
01-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Has or does any body work in the corporate cycling industry? I am getting ready to retire from the military and have though about it Cannondale has a few jobs that seem interesting your feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of military/former/retired military here. What branch? What didja do?

Thanks for your service

-retired USN

false_Aest
01-11-2016, 07:27 PM
I work for a small-ish bike co in Los Angeles.

I knew I could get burnt out in the bike industry so I gravitated toward a company that focuses on bikes I don't ride (around town, commuter, etc.). They're simple things but they come with their own sets of challenges and concerns.

I'm learning on a daily basis and while it can be really frustrating (. . . the solution is never, "Just use Dura Ace/Super Record/Enve.") it's pretty rad' to see the industry from this side. The job has also lit a bit of a fire under my ass to get my own projects moving and to ride more.

weisan
01-11-2016, 08:08 PM
csi pal, try Co-motion or Moots or Bike Fridays and the likes.

old fat man
01-11-2016, 08:14 PM
If you still need to earn a living, you can do a lot better as a PM in other industries, affording you the time and the money to afford those same bikes. The busy season in the bike industry is the peak riding season.*

* I worked on the corporate side after a number of years on the lbs side. I'm much happier working in a totally different industry.

franswa
01-11-2016, 11:43 PM
i would tread cautiously. lots of times you making something you love your job is a highway to hating it.

I can vouch for this, though hate is a strong word. Let's just say it killed the passion I once had.

Also, first post! Hola.