PDA

View Full Version : registered for fitchburg

obtuse
06-01-2006, 04:30 PM
anyone else? i'm gunning for an obtuse second to last.

obtuse

atmo
06-01-2006, 04:35 PM
i won't be there.
descending mt wachusett at race speed
turned me into a different gender atmo.
you want honest? that's honest. remember
what it did to henk vogels, and he gets paid
to race. no thanks, ma'am.

obtuse
06-01-2006, 04:46 PM
i won't be there.

dude-
i'm taking PAID vacation time. i am getting paid to race. i was obtusely hoping you would be there to give me some gender help.
obtuse

Grant McLean
06-01-2006, 04:58 PM
My JetFuel pals will be there.

g

Tom
06-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Maybe in a few years.

My brother's kids won't be there either, the little rats are working in Denali Park all summer.

OldDog
06-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Tom - I'm heading up to Denali in August (unless I can find someone to take my place on an annevarsery vacation with my wife so as I can attend TdFL)

Any pointers for a first time visitor?

Tom
06-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Sorry, Obtuse...

OldDog: where are you going in Denali? The kids work at 'Camp Denali', it and the North Face Lodge are adjacent to each other at the end of the road. I've never been there, but it's on my list. I don't think you can go wrong. Just be aware that moose are more dangerous than they look and bears can run really, really fast.

Ti Designs
06-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Obtuse,

What catagory are you racing? A couple of my guys will be in the 1/2/P field, and I have a couple of the Harvard women going as well.

Atmo,

The best descender I know is a girl (ex pro snowboarder). So when you say that descending mt wachusett at race speed turned me into a different gender, which gender did you start out as???

Another good question would be why you were descending Mt Washington at race speed. As I remember it, the finish is at the top. The race goes down Mile Hill road, but that's straight and smooth (with a town line at the bottom). I ask this because every year some bozo crashes on the way down from the top, after the race. I warn my riders never to be that bozo - they'll never hear the end of it from me if they crash AFTER the race...

For any or all interested, I'll probably ride out from Boston on Thursday to see the time trial, and on Saturday to watch the road race. The time trial ain't much fun to watch, but the early ride out is kinda nice. Both days I'm doing the round trip (120 - 140 miles if I don't get lost) but there will be people with cars there...

atmo
06-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Obtuse,

Atmo,

The best descender I know is a girl (ex pro snowboarder). So when you say that descending mt wachusett at race speed turned me into a different gender, which gender did you start out as???

Another good question would be why you were descending Mt Washington at race speed. As I remember it, the finish is at the top. The race goes down Mile Hill road, but that's straight and smooth (with a town line at the bottom). I ask this because every year some bozo crashes on the way down from the top, after the race. I warn my riders never to be that bozo - they'll never hear the end of it from me if they crash AFTER the race...

mt washington????????

what are you talking about?
in the wachusett race, we do that descent 3-4 times.
i'm not talking about the finishing 1/2 mile stretch that
is only done at the end, i'm talking about the downhill
that's at the parking lot atmo.

obtuse
06-02-2006, 09:23 AM
an obtuse cat2

obtuse

Obtuse,

What catagory are you racing? A couple of my guys will be in the 1/2/P field, and I have a couple of the Harvard women going as well.

Atmo,

For any or all interested, I'll probably ride out from Boston on Thursday to see the time trial, and on Saturday to watch the road race. The time trial ain't much fun to watch, but the early ride out is kinda nice. Both days I'm doing the round trip (120 - 140 miles if I don't get lost) but there will be people with cars there...

Richard
06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
"The race goes down Mile Hill road, but that's straight and smooth"

I guess this shows how long it's been since I raced this, but when I did, this descent was frost heaved and pot holed. I remember a guy just ahead and to my left hitting one (hole, heave or both) and doing a death wobble dance as I passed. AFAIK, he hit the deck hard. That road sucked and we descended at over 50 mph while dodging the mess.

atmo
06-02-2006, 09:59 AM
... this descent was frost heaved and pot holed. I remember a guy just ahead and to my left hitting one (hole, heave or both) and doing a death wobble dance as I passed. AFAIK, he hit the deck hard. That road sucked and we descended at over 50 mph while dodging the mess.

that's my recollection atmo

Roy E. Munson
06-02-2006, 10:00 AM
What atmo said

atmo
06-02-2006, 10:26 AM
What atmo said
what they said atmo

Fat Robert
06-02-2006, 10:47 AM
you taking this seriously, obtuse?

carbon wheels, carbon cages, tag off the seat?

imfo fatmo

obtuse
06-02-2006, 11:13 AM
you taking this seriously, obtuse?

carbon wheels, carbon cages, tag off the seat?

imfo fatmo

i take an obtuse lunch seriously.

obtuse

Fat Robert
06-02-2006, 11:18 AM

obtuse

lobster tails aren't obtuse

you can get obtuse shrimp and grits down here if you play with em on your plate at the correct angles. come down for b of a.

its all about the geo, fatmo.

Ti Designs
06-02-2006, 10:23 PM
mt washington????????

what are you talking about?
in the wachusett race, we do that descent 3-4 times.
i'm not talking about the finishing 1/2 mile stretch that
is only done at the end, i'm talking about the downhill
that's at the parking lot atmo.

Sorry, have Mt Washington on the brain these days. I meant wachusett. Every year someone crashes on the way down from the top, after the race. I'll never understand that, but I'll put money on it that someone crashes there this year too.

Mile hill road (the dreaded descent) was repaved last year. I haven't been out there this season, but I hear the days of orange paint around potholes are behind us. I thought cyclocross riders were good at that stuff...

Fixed
06-02-2006, 10:40 PM
bro I'm riding with a cat who won tht race in the 70's sat am i'll ask him about the desent .
cheers

Ti Designs
06-03-2006, 06:14 AM
bro I'm riding with a cat who won tht race in the 70's sat am i'll ask him about the desent .
cheers

And he'll look at you kinda funny. The crit has been around forever, the stage race has only been going since the early 90's.

stevep
06-03-2006, 07:29 AM

obtuse

key question for obtuse.
are you taking the price tag off the tt bike so that you cant return it after the race and get your money back?

"this thing goes like shiiite, i demand a refund!" dont worry, harold will happily take the return.

ps different tt this year i think it goes up up up to the ski area. will make you hate life even more.

obtuse
06-03-2006, 08:14 AM
key question for obtuse.
are you taking the price tag off the tt bike so that you cant return it after the race and get your money back?

"this thing goes like shiiite, i demand a refund!" dont worry, harold will happily take the return.

ps different tt this year i think it goes up up up to the ski area. will make you hate life even more.

of course. he has this beautiful bicycle that is still on consignment from service cycle. i think i'll use that.

obtuse

(fucing rain! one hour on the trainer "easy" is harder than four hour hard day? why is that?)

atmo
06-03-2006, 08:17 AM
(fucing rain! one hour on the trainer "easy" is harder than four hour hard day? why is that?)

that sounds like a lyric from
a sammy koan song atmo.

sailorboy
06-03-2006, 08:35 AM
C'mon, any true New Englander knows them roads is all 'hoved up in the spring! Really though, the same thing seems to happen every year at green mtn. race after stage 2, someone eats it on the way back down from App. Gap. Always a pitiful site to have worked so hard to finish that stage and not be able to do the crit. in Burlington. Then again, that's no picnic either.

stevep
06-03-2006, 08:35 AM
i won't be there.

that descent put tim johnson on another planet for 2 days. some ( idiot ) with a spinergy wheel had the wheel come apart in the middle of the descent ( who ever heard of that?) , took out tim...who ended up in the hospital after he t-boned the same sign than vogels hit.
for 2 days... all tim could say was... " but, how did i finish, i have a headache? " over and over...
you finished in the ambulance...they did not give you a time. luckily he was ok.

that road has been repaved so dodging obstacles is less of an issue. .but it is a scary fast downhill...

atmo
06-03-2006, 08:37 AM
that descent put tim johnson on another planet for 2 days. some ( idiot ) with a spinergy wheel had the wheel come apart in the middle of the descent ( who ever heard of that?) , took out tim...who ended up in the hospital after he t-boned the same sign than vogels hit.
for 2 days... all tim could say was... " but, how did i finish, i have a headache? " over and over...
you finished in the ambulance...they did not give you a time. luckily he was ok.

that road has been repaved so dodging obstacles is less of an issue. .but it is a scary fast downhill...

no matter.
i did that descent too many times. it's
inside my head. i will never go back atmo.

obtuse
06-03-2006, 08:38 AM

why do you guys want to scare me? a fat slow slob like me is suppossed to be scared by the ascents not th descents....plus i got this new downhill stem for my bike. see my obtuse signature.

obtuse

stevep
06-03-2006, 08:43 AM
in your case i would be more scared of the ascents.
you will cry so hard your top tube might rust through from the salty discharge before the mountain. better put in some weigle rust proof to protect that carbon frame.
just trying to help. a friendly reminder.

obtuse
06-03-2006, 08:43 AM
in your case i would be more scared of the ascents.
you will cry so hard your top tube might rust through from the salty discharge before the mountain. better put in some weigle rust proof to protect that carbon frame.
just trying to help. a friendly reminder.

thanks pal.

obtuse

atmo
06-03-2006, 08:44 AM
why do you guys want to scare me? a fat slow slob like me is suppossed to be scared by the ascents not th descents....plus i got this new downhill stem for my bike. see my obtuse signature.

obtuse

whatever you do, don't sam cooke (http://members.tripod.com/clarkkauffman/id32.htm) yourself on that hill.

Fixed
06-03-2006, 11:46 AM
And he'll look at you kinda funny. The crit has been around forever, the stage race has only been going since the early 90's.
bro yeah he said the race changed the bro is a freak on a crit .bro he knows me, he quit looking at me funny after about a year . cheers

stevep
06-03-2006, 11:54 AM
fixed. who is the guy?
i was around then.

Fixed
06-03-2006, 11:58 AM
bill shook there are a lot of good young riders around but it's cool riding with great older riders. i.m.h.o.
cheers

stevep
06-03-2006, 12:04 PM
excellent. louis garneau, w stetina, d ware... forget the rest. was one of the big ne crits back in the day.
lemond rode it when he was 17. he missed the break... no wonder he quit after that.

atmo
06-03-2006, 12:06 PM
some guy named shook.
and slack, and liu, and marinoni,
and all the others atmo.

Fixed
06-03-2006, 12:12 PM
you bros are the cool guys .a love for cycling burning for decades .bro the stuff you cats have seen would make a great book about our u .s. racing history.. it's a honor for me to know bros like you guys . thank you
cheers