PDA

View Full Version : New Bike or Lohg Haul Trucker on Great Divide?

JDtwowheels
01-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Hello. I will be doing the Canadian section of the great divide this summer from Banff, AB to Glacier, MT.

I currently own a LHT with SS Couplers and im wondering if some 700 x50 schwalbe's will do the trick? Or, should I use this trip as an excuse to purchase a new bike? If I don not use the LHT, I am considering an Ogre, the ECR, a salso deadwood or a Specialized AWOL.

I welcome all opinions and other options as well.

Thanks,

hokoman
01-10-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm an idiot - saw you have the 700c bike - edited my response. I would want disc brakes, but that's just me. don't know if you have a disc trucker. Sounds like an awesome ride.

JDtwowheels
01-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Thanks. Yea, the lack of disc brakes is one of the reasons in second guessing the LHT.

likebikes
01-10-2016, 11:50 PM
the lht will be fine.

Birddog
01-11-2016, 06:36 AM
Hello. I will be doing the Canadian section of the great divide this summer from Banff, AB to Glacier, MT.

I currently own a LHT with SS Couplers and im wondering if some 700 x50 schwalbe's will do the trick? Or, should I use this trip as an excuse to purchase a new bike? If I don not use the LHT, I am considering an Ogre, the ECR, a salso deadwood or a Specialized AWOL.

I welcome all opinions and other options as well.

Thanks,

I think you answered your own question.

dave thompson
01-11-2016, 08:25 AM
You should always get a new bike for a new ride.

ceolwulf
01-11-2016, 08:26 AM
You should always get a new bike for a new ride.

Every day!

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:30 AM
A Surly LHT is an awesome bike. It's just about bullet proof and will carry anything you have. I'd say you're good to go with the LHT, but when it rains, and your brakes go out, that could present a problem when your descending. Now, I do know some riders that say when you're fully loaded, the load acts as a natural brake, which automatically slows your bike in the descents.

weisan
01-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Long. Haul. Trucker. Coupled.

Go anywhere.

Do anything.

Disc...or not.

gdw
01-11-2016, 09:11 AM
The Surley is designed to take up to a 45mm wide tire so the Schwalbes aren't a viable option. Furthermore this is an El Nino year so you will probably be riding in rain for at least part of the trip so extra clearance is needed.

You should visit Bikepacking.net, search through the forums, and post the same question. Many of that forums members have ridden or raced the Tour or sections of it and are willing to offer advice based upon their experience.

JDtwowheels
01-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks. I will check out the other forums. I'm running 45's on the surly now and there seems to be room left. I came across a this https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=283900

Seems like not all brands of 50's will fit the LHT but the schwalbe' do

p nut
01-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Some dude I read about a couple of years ago did the whole route on a Disc Trucker (fixed gear!!), so you should be good to go on your LHT. Have fun!

http://candoromarble.org/south-knoxville-honors-mountain-biking-world-record-holder-with-grand-finale-celebration/

gdw
01-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Deanna Adams rode it on a fixed gear road bike so your Surly is adequate especially if the weather is good or you have time to wait out the storms that might crop up.

Here's a video from the 2014 Tour which might be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v9f-hl4QL8

The racer who posted it encountered rain and mud for over two weeks and everyday on the sections you're planning to ride. This is a worse case scenario, hopefully you'll have better weather.

JDtwowheels
01-11-2016, 11:05 AM
Excellent video link. I will be going a few weeks later in the year than the divide racers so hopefully I can catch some better weather.

I purchased a used Surly ECR today. I am planning to take a few overnight trips with both bikes before making a final decision. The only down side I see to the ECR at the moment is the added weight of the larger tires and tubes.

gdw
01-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Nice, the ECR is a excellent bike and those wider tires offer a lot of cushion for offroad touring. Between your two options it looks like you'll be all set.

p nut
01-11-2016, 12:54 PM
The only down side I see to the ECR at the moment is the added weight of the larger tires and tubes.

...also the availability of those tires/tubes, especially at smaller bike shops along the route. Although in a pinch, you could probably use 2.4" tires and I've *heard*, downhill tubes. Note that this will lower the already low BB.

cinema
01-11-2016, 01:30 PM
you can do it on a lht but i think you'll enjoy bigger tires like 2.1-2.4

JDtwowheels
01-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. My great divide riding buddy is also running 3" tires so I'm less concerned about spares, as we will both carry 1 tire and 2 tubes.

gmcampy
01-14-2016, 11:17 AM
The Surley is designed to take up to a 45mm wide tire so the Schwalbes aren't a viable option. Furthermore this is an El Nino year so you will probably be riding in rain for at least part of the trip so extra clearance is needed.

You should visit Bikepacking.net, search through the forums, and post the same question. Many of that forums members have ridden or raced the Tour or sections of it and are willing to offer advice based upon their experience.

Also seek out the FB group https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/ultraride/ if you are a FB guy....

Frankwurst
01-14-2016, 06:00 PM
LHT. I've rode thousands of miles fully loaded on less brakes than what the LHT has. Over mountains in the rain yada,yada,yada. My son has a LHT and if you can't do it on that don't blame the bike.:beer:

JDtwowheels
01-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Thanks bi tend to agree. The LHT is a fantastic do anything bike. If I'm half as happy with the ECR I'll be satisfied.

sg8357
01-14-2016, 07:55 PM
The Mountain Turtle used a Redline Monocog for the GDR.

http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2010/01/tour-divide-frequently-asked-questions.html

type2sam
01-17-2016, 01:32 PM
I managed to fit a set of 29x2.0 Panaracer Soars on my LHT. Definitely a do anything bike with those tires.