PDA

View Full Version : Do Carbon Components Really Dampen Road Vibration?

Brian
06-01-2006, 02:13 PM
I recently replaced my Dura-Ace seat post (developed crack in clamp) with a Thomson Elite. The Thomson is beautifully machined and has a great clamping mechanism. Now… I may be completely full of it, but I swear I can feel additional road buzz under my butt. It’s a very light vibration, and I’d be heard-pressed to say that it is fatiguing, but I think it’s real. The same vibration could have been there all along the Dura-Ace post, so maybe the recent change is simply causing me to focus on a long-existing issue.

So here’s my question: for those of you who have changed from aluminum seat posts to carbon seat posts, did you notice a decrease in vibration? I would also ask the same question of those who have switched from aluminum to carbon handlebars. Thanks.

Fixed
06-01-2006, 02:18 PM
bro what kind of frame are you riding ?
cheers

wanderingwheel
06-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Image taking your two seatposts and smacking the ground with them. You would get the same initial jolt from both, but the aluminum post would continue to ring while the carbon post would not. I think this is the difference that you are feeling but I doubt it will have much effect on your endurance or fatigue, especially because you are isolated from most of it by the saddle or handlebar tape.

Brian
06-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm riding a stock 56cm concours (no ST).

Fixed
06-01-2006, 02:31 PM
bro are d/a post carb.?
cheers

Brian
06-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I failed to mention that the Thomsom Elite is also an Aluminum seat post.

Fixed
06-01-2006, 02:34 PM
bro i think you have a cool setup .you didn't change wheels or tires did you?

Brian
06-01-2006, 02:37 PM
The Dura-Ace post was also Aluminum.

So I'm wondering if the road vibration was always there with the DA post, but that I just started noticing it because I made a change and am more aware of it. Thus, if I move to a carbon post, will there be a noticeable decrease in vibration.

No other changes were made to the bike other that switching out one aluminum seat post for another.

dgauthier
06-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Your old DuraAce post probably transmitted less vibration to the seat because of the crack in the clamp!

zap
06-01-2006, 02:47 PM
I've swapped composite & al post on two bikes and I never noticed a change.

Now if you have a long post on a compact/sloped design, maybe it's more noticable.

Anyone?

wanderingwheel
06-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Oops. I guess it's time to take Reading 101 again. I tried a carbon post on one ride (an uphill time trial) but didn't really notice any difference.

BoulderGeek
06-01-2006, 03:52 PM
I tend to use Ti railed saddles for that reason.

I use the Thompson ELite seatpost, and have no issues with it. But, i have no experience with long miles on carbon posts.

I currently ride a scandium Rocky Mountain road frame with DA-9. My saddle is a Terry Fly, ti-railed and softer than most of the new road saddles. Total comfort package.

When I get my Nove (Chorus), I will probably use a Terry Fly as well. I have them on all of my bikes. It just works for me.

I do like carbon stems and bars for high frequency vibration absorbtion on my hands, though.

quehill
06-01-2006, 04:11 PM
My experience has been that seatposts do little to nothing to affect the road feel of a frame, be they carbon, ti, or aluminum on a traditional frame or a sloper. Here's the funny thing though, about a year ago I switched a couple of my bikes from aluminum bars (Deda Magic on one and, I think, 3T Forgies on the other) to Bontrager carbon racexlite handlebars. The difference, relative to road vibration, was huge. I spent the first couple of weeks constantly double checking the pressure on my front tire!

Allez!
06-01-2006, 04:23 PM
My experience has been that seatposts do little to nothing to affect the road feel of a frame, be they carbon, ti, or aluminum on a traditional frame or a sloper. Here's the funny thing though, about a year ago I switched a couple of my bikes from aluminum bars (Deda Magic on one and, I think, 3T Forgies on the other) to Bontrager carbon racelite handlebars. The difference, relative to road vibration, was huge. I spent the first couple of weeks constantly double checking the pressure on my front tire!

Thanks that's good to know - my next upgrade is either seatpost or stem / bars - now I know which to focus on!

Saxon
06-01-2006, 07:18 PM
I switched from an EC70 carbon post to a Thomson Elite and I think there is actually less vibration with the Thomson!

catulle
06-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I recently replaced my Dura-Ace seat post (developed crack in clamp) with a Thomson Elite. The Thomson is beautifully machined and has a great clamping mechanism. Now… I may be completely full of it, but I swear I can feel additional road buzz under my butt. It’s a very light vibration, and I’d be heard-pressed to say that it is fatiguing, but I think it’s real. The same vibration could have been there all along the Dura-Ace post, so maybe the recent change is simply causing me to focus on a long-existing issue.

So here’s my question: for those of you who have changed from aluminum seat posts to carbon seat posts, did you notice a decrease in vibration? I would also ask the same question of those who have switched from aluminum to carbon handlebars. Thanks.

My experience does NOT exactly address your question but I hope it'll shed some light anyway. My C-50 Colnago has the Record carbon components
and my other bikes have the alloy Record gruppo. Everything about the C-50 is significantly more muted than the other bicycles, atmo. I have a steel frame scheduled for November and, although I like the looks of the alloy better, I'm considering buying the carbon Record gruppo because I like the way it works, atmo.

abstruse
06-01-2006, 07:54 PM

torgilinas mestirion enpelek'tik fescadi'ta..."TAK TAK TAK, TWONK!" :no:
"zeeba zeeba zeeba zeeba", :)

Fat Robert
06-01-2006, 07:55 PM
carbon components soak up road vibration...nyuk nyuk nyuk

sure

right

we've been here before with stays and rear triangles -- the carbon stuff can be more stiff than AL...

Rotund Robert noticed during his first ride in 7 weeks today that there was less noticable road vibration -- due to the extra 10 lbs of padding in his *** that wasn't there 7 weeks ago

so there you go. screw the carbon, eat more pastries. problem solved.

dirtdigger88
06-01-2006, 07:58 PM
I made the switch from a thomson to a dura ace post-

I know exactly what you are talking about that you feel but I dont think its vibration dampening as much as a slight about of post flex in the DA over the thomson-

I cant explain it- but I have noticed what you are feeling

Jason

CalfeeFly
06-01-2006, 07:59 PM
We had a long involved thread about this on the Calfee Phorum about 2 years ago. I went with a carbon seatpost damping more than my Thomson and eventually and others did not agree. After awhile we came to the conclusion that some folks are more sensitive in "some areas" than others. :) I think one issue we missed then is whether the seatpost is a set back or not. My Thomson was not and could have been a factor as well.

I prefer not to be flamed as I am still looking for my lunch table and the tray is getting heavy. :beer: It is hard being obtuse.

Fat Robert
06-01-2006, 08:01 PM
I prefer not to be flamed as I am still looking for my lunch table and the tray is getting heavy. .

I'll take that from you, kiddo...that apple and two slices of ham for dinner isn't doing it...

victoryfactory
06-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Carbon parts, including frames have a lot of wonderful atributes, including lightness, shapeability, tunability etc. but this "vibration damping" feature
is way, way over hyped, over quoted (often by people wo have never ridden
any carbon) and over sold by the bike makers.

Carbon is STIFF it needs to be manipulated to give a smooth riding frame.
That kind of manipulation is much less apparent in small parts like seatposts.
In my opinion, the so called vibration damping from carbon is so subtle that
it becomes a non issue.
Want to tame the vibration on your ride? Take 5 lbs out of your tires, way more effective.

VF, iconoclass-hole

Fixed
06-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Carbon parts, including frames have a lot of wonderful atributes, including lightness, shapeability, tunability etc. but this "vibration damping" feature
is way, way over hyped, over quoted (often by people wo have never ridden
any carbon) and over sold by the bike makers.

Carbon is STIFF it needs to be manipulated to give a smooth riding frame.
That kind of manipulation is much less apparent in small parts like seatposts.
In my opinion, the so called vibration damping from carbon is so subtle that
it becomes a non issue.
Want to tame the vibration on your ride? Take 5 lbs out of your tires, way more effective.

VF, iconoclass-hole
I like this bro
cheers

chrisroph
06-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Never tried a carbon post, it's the wrong place for carbon. :beer:

vaxn8r
06-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I hear what you are all saying but I gotta go with CalfeeFly. I used to have a Deda Blackstick on my Tetra Pro and switched it out for a Thomson. It is pretty subtle but I can tell a difference all other things beeing equal...like air pressure in the tires. For awhile last year I switched them back again but ended coming back to the Thomson. Again I could feel a difference.

I respect those opinions which vary. Maybe, like frames it's the seatpost more than what it's made from, I'm willing to believe that could account for the small difference I felt.

1centaur
06-02-2006, 05:24 AM
I am a huge CF fan in that I believe its vibration damping qualities are evident vs. any metal frame, period. I ride bikes for pleasure, not as a tool, so I pay attention to slight sensation changes and I have a lot of bikes in all materials.

That said, I have Thomson posts on all bikes but my F4:13 which came with its own carbon fiber post. The first time I rode it I was surprised to feel a tiny amount of difference, since I was expecting none per many posts (so to speak) here and elsewhere. Just a little CF-like positive change in the way road buzz was transmitted. That said however, I continue to buy Thomson posts for each new bike because the difference truly is minor - not worth the money for weight/damping vs. Thomson in any way. Note that every frame these days is CF so I am getting damping elsewhere.

However, once I tried CF bars I never went back. Maybe 5-10% more comfortable than alu which really is not much but it's enough for me.

victoryfactory
06-02-2006, 07:30 AM
If I wanted to get some vibration damping effect from the saddle/ seatpost
area of my bike, I'd pay more attention to the seat rails
Those are analogous to the leaf springs on a car, and their properties
can effect transfer of vibration more directly than a seatpost.
A good place for carbon, as on the physik aliante. IMO

VF

SoCalSteve
06-02-2006, 09:41 AM
If I wanted to get some vibration damping effect from the saddle/ seatpost
area of my bike, I'd pay more attention to the seat railsThose are analogous to the leaf springs on a car, and their properties
can effect transfer of vibration more directly than a seatpost.
A good place for carbon, as on the physik aliante. IMO

VF

What about Ti railed saddles?

Thanks,

Steve

victoryfactory
06-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Steve;

Just like with frames, It's not so much the material per se
as it is the execution of the design.
I think that people make a mistake when they just compare the
attributes of a material on paper, and think that those qualities will transfer
intact to the final product.
The design and execution have as much to do with the final result as the
basic material choice, IMO

In the case of seat rails, the spring perfomance of a particular setup far outweighs any
vibration transfer issue in real world terms, most saddles have the rails
mounted into rubber or plastic which would isolate vibrations well enough
as to made this a mute point.

Short version:
Ti rails and steel rails can be made to act differently by adjusting the wall
thickness of the rail tubing length and angle of rail.

VF

shaq-d
06-02-2006, 03:08 PM
just for fun, my carbon seatpost softride totally eliminates any and all buzz, bumps, and bruises. course, the "seatpost" is really like 2 feet long and made to bennnndddd

heh

i wonder if the softride seapost is better than a brooks on springs? i need to test that...

sd

The Spider
06-03-2006, 04:58 AM
I will back the seat rail statement....I can feel the difference in Selle Italia saddles depending on what the rails are...I can even feel the difference between to rail and tubular (hollow tubed) titanium.

My first experience with carbon was the seatpost...I changed from an Easton EA70 (ugliest head EVER!) to a Syncros carbon and was just amazed at the comfort...that said...carbon can be constructed to be flexy (I have a friend who rides an Easton EC90 which flexes with every pedal stroke) to super stiff. It's a product to product comparison that is important.