PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Nutrition for the Long Distance Riders

PFSLABD
01-10-2016, 08:50 AM
I'm contemplating doing a 200k and possibly a 300k if I can complete the 200k by the middle of March.

I have always been an advocate of Cliff Bars, Gu, Power Bars, Luna, or any of the other mainstay energy bars. I have also carried granola bars as well as bananas, apples, and oranges. Lately, I have seen riders stopping at the greasy spoon places and chowing down on some of what I would really consider some unhealthy foods, yet they seem to thrive on it.

What about sports drinks. I always seemed to do well back years ago with Cytomax, but since my riding of late has consisted mostly of metric centuries, I don't have to worry about skipping lunch and just subsist on energy bars and plain water.

Any thoughts?

shovelhd
01-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Gatorade G2 mix, water and gels.

PFSLABD
01-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Yeah, that's about what I do, but I was on another forum where they were talking about never getting off the bike unless you had to make a bathroom break. These folks carry handlebar bags and eat while riding the bike. I'm not interested in completing a speed record, just finishing it within the time limit. Everybody I know, who does these things, stops and eats. That's the way everybody I know did when they completed these statewide endurance rides, like Blood, Sweat, and Gears in Alabama and the Assault on Mt. Mitchell, SC/NC endurance ride. Looks like I need to go back to the sports drinks again vs. just water.

palincss
01-10-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm contemplating doing a 200k and possibly a 300k if I can complete the 200k by the middle of March.

I have always been an advocate of Cliff Bars, Gu, Power Bars, Luna, or any of the other mainstay energy bars. I have also carried granola bars as well as bananas, apples, and oranges. Lately, I have seen riders stopping at the greasy spoon places and chowing down on some of what I would really consider some unhealthy foods, yet they seem to thrive on it.

What about sports drinks. I always seemed to do well back years ago with Cytomax, but since my riding of late has consisted mostly of metric centuries, I don't have to worry about skipping lunch and just subsist on energy bars and plain water.

Any thoughts?

I think you'd do better asking these questions on randon or dcrand.

ptourkin
01-10-2016, 09:38 AM
It's kind of a rando thing to stop and eat real food but not necessary at all on a 2 or 300k. I'd just eat whatever works for you on your regular long weekend rides. I prefer not to do a long stop on either of those distances, but it is randonneuring and not racing unless you're going for a speed-based award like Charly Miller.

Our controls are almost always convenience stores, so I tend to eat whatever I'm craving at the point, throwing in a Mexican Coke and gatorade when necessary. At these shorter distances and efforts, nutrition isn't going to catch up with you unless you do something extremely stupid and since it's not summer, you won't have big hydration or electrolyte problems. No matter how hungry you get, you'll be home for a late dinner.

Don't over think - ride, eat, enjoy.

bigbill
01-10-2016, 09:48 AM
I've done a bunch of double centuries and I have to have some kind of solid food even if it's a Clif Bar. The biggest deal for me is to remember to eat. I've found myself in a good group making time and ridden right past my scheduled eating time. I try to eat every 45-55 minutes and if I don't, I start feeling it pretty quickly. I've stopped for "real" food including heat lamp cheeseburgers at a convenience store, Moon Pies, King Size Snickers, and Little Debbie cakes. Stuff that won't travel well in a jersey. Coming up on the last hour or so, I like a coke, the sugar and caffeine get me to the end.

In 93 I spent a week at the Walden School in Florida. We'd do 50-100 miles a day in rotating pacelines, all small ring so the days were long. Before we'd leave that morning, we'd put together our musettes in the kitchen. We'd eat ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo, granola bars, and two pieces of fruit, one to eat, one to put in the jersey for later.

steamer
01-10-2016, 10:03 AM
For many, part of the fun of randonneuring is the pit stops. I enjoy 200Ks much more, and have more consistent energy later in the ride, if I eat something like a 6" turkey sub around the middle of the ride. It's not racing so many randos don't worry about the time spent. Most of the time, that is.

Some folks do fine on frankenfood for extended periods, but I find my body starts rejecting it after about 4 or 5 hours. This is an important part of learning this sport - what fuel works best. Every person is a bit different. And even the experienced get it wrong from time to time.

malcolm
01-10-2016, 10:07 AM
If I'm depending on just artificial stuff I had always used hammer stuff like perpeteum, but recently became a fan of CarboPro

Carbo pro you can mix highly concentrated and use it as a calorie source by just taking a mouthful at defined intervals. Even concentrated it has no taste.

jr59
01-10-2016, 10:09 AM
For 200 and 300k events, it shouldn't be a big deal! Eat a big breakfast and your favorite bike food and enjoy the day. I bring a p b and j on toast with me, that and a banana, but whatever works for your metric days. There is no rules on where you can stop to eat. As long as you make your controls. Pick a place that you can get a salad or something you think is healthy.

Just sit back and enjoy. IMO you are way over thinking this.

unterhausen
01-10-2016, 11:23 AM
with an ACP 200k, you have 13 hours and 30 minutes to finish. So you should have plenty of time to eat. Now, if you want company, you probably will have to finish in about 11 hours. I am not a big fan of eating real food until around 100 miles, so I rely on home mixed perpetuum type drink. 6:1 carb powder to protein. What I found was that I had trouble eating at all from about 50-90 miles, and I would always be miserable. Having calories in the water bottle really helps with this. If it gets hot, all bets are off unless I'm in pretty good shape.

On the bike, Gatoraide makes me nauseous, as does Pepsi. I try to avoid things that are sweetened with fructose. I actually made it through my first 200k subsisting mostly on Gatoraide, but apparently that was a fluke.

If I start feeling nauseous, I try bananas or potato chips or both. It's amazing how many calories are in a bag of potato chips. I have also done pretty well with a diet of Reese's cups and chocolate milk. If you're one of the stragglers on randonneuring rides, you'll usually find that the chocolate milk section of the cooler has been ravaged. That's because it's high calorie and high in sodium.

On longer rides, most people find that they want variety. That Cliff bar that sounded good at 100 miles will make you gag.

brockd15
01-10-2016, 11:46 AM
In my experience on rides from 200k up to 1000k, I prefer real food, more so the longer the ride. For long stretches between controls I might carry some Clif bars or something, but my preference has always been to stop and eat at a control. Being that it's usually a gas station, I'd get something like those prepackaged turkey sandwiches and chocolate milk.

One rule of thumb I've heard is a 4:1 carb to protein ratio and ~400 calories an hour. A king size Payday bar is 440 calories, has that ratio, and isn't too sweet. I've thought about cutting one into 6 pieces and having one every ten minutes on the bike....but never actually tried it.

PFSLABD
01-10-2016, 12:33 PM
I have always been leery of eating a meal during a ride stop (meal being hamburger and french fries, or pizza slice) ever since I stopped at the 50 mile point of a century I was doing with a tandem couple. They went to the local pizza parlor and ordered Stromboli. I went in with them, just to be sociable. They got me to try some Stromboli. It was good, but I just didn't want to ride another 50 to finish the ride. Eating that stuff made me sluggish. Ever since then, I just exist on power bars and water until I can get home. Now, since I'm older, I have been experiencing extreme fatigue and getting dropped toward the end of the ride by those riders, who ate a decent lunch, hence, the reason for starting this thread. I may need to start eating better if I want to complete this double metric and feel half way decent afterwards.

AngryScientist
01-10-2016, 12:56 PM
i'm good to 4.5 - 5 hours on "engineered nutrition" only, meaning power bars, gels, etc.

after that i need some real, actual food, generally speaking. depends a lot on the intensity of the ride and the climate too, for sure.

PFSLABD
01-10-2016, 01:01 PM
i'm good to 4.5 - 5 hours on "engineered nutrition" only, meaning power bars, gels, etc.

after that i need some real, actual food, generally speaking. depends a lot on the intensity of the ride and the climate too, for sure.

That's basically the way I used to be, but I have had to make a drastic change in what I eat due to health issues. I have a problem in that my body manufactures blood clots that won't go away, so I have to avoid green leafy vegetables and take Coumadin the rest of my life. That's the only thing I can figure which makes my body run down so quickly because I eat similar energy bars to what you eat. There is nothing wrong with my fitness because I ride 3 to 5 days, weather permitting, each week. I don't know whether I'm pushing too hard, or not.

Anybody know anything about this 5 Hour Energy drink? I have heard some horror stories about it that it may not be a good idea to take it.

unterhausen
01-10-2016, 10:41 PM
I know people that drink 5 hour and Red Bull and other high-caffeine drinks. They aren't going to power your muscles, unless they have more calories than I think they do. There was a randonneur that died on a 1200k after drinking a Red Bull, but I suspect that's mostly coincidence.

JLP
01-10-2016, 11:52 PM
Remember many randonneurs on 200 and 300K rides are training for much longer events. If one is not at the pointy end of the ride, they are going to need real meals to get through longer events. The middle and back of the event is a whole different thing than the folks going fast. I'm not fast. On long brevets I need protein and fats to take in enough calories. They burn slowly without spiking. One of the hardest things for some people to do for longer rides is to sort out how to put in enough calories. It's like an eating competition. If I'm not having fun, I'm probably running out of calories.

One thing is for sure, there are as many different things that work on 1200's as there are people.

Try some real food and don't try to hammer right after you eat it. Many people are better off at the end of a 200 or 300 if they can get enough calories. Other people have iced tea and a half a payday bar. I'm not one of them.

brockd15
01-11-2016, 12:23 AM
I tried 5 Hour Energy and Red Bull once on a long ride out of desperation to try and fight off the effects of sleep deprivation. I don't remember it doing much of anything for me.

marciero
01-11-2016, 06:37 AM
I agree with others that for 200-300k is not critical, anything that has worked on shorter rides will work, dont overthink, is good opportunity to see what your preferences are for when you do longer rides and fuel becomes more critical, etc. In the Northeast the controls seem to be close enough that you could do it on water alone if you dont mind giving up control over what you eat. On the other extreme, since the ride is short enough, you could skip some of the controls, or only stop for fluids. You can certainly trim your time this way. Personally I like to bring some real food. Also a pro bar or two just in case.

Jgrooms
01-11-2016, 07:25 AM
At the risk of sounding like an ad, ck out Hammer products.

Sage advice is everyone is different, so fig it out during training.

Not so sage in my exp is to think what you do for 3-5 hrs works for longer. Gels & energy drinks (Heed) should be used, but you should already be eating for the long haul past (Perp) Yes, overthink it, its the best way to get the most out of yourself & have fun.

Or don't & ramble on about your 'bonk' like it was inevitable & the great greasy pizza that 'saved' you.

My go to long haul food is a bottle of Perp blended w honey, banana, & mago juice/water (real food 👍). Sipping every hr. Gel in flask every 30 in between. Water/Heed every 10. Sometimes a Cliff or Hammer bar. More cals when its real cold.

Avoid fructose energy until the end when the crash won't be an issue. The blood insulin spike/crash is not some myth. A mountain dew/gatorade/water mix is a good closer.

Eat early and often in small quantities. If you go into debt and have to stop & eat big, perf suffers. Period. A full stomach is not conducive to riding well. Blood to digestive system better used elsewhere?

Eat big, reward, when you are done. Hey I don't get the stop, sit down, in your wet kit, and eat crowd. Then try & get the body going & continue. But to each their own...😳

And how you eat on the ride has huge impact on how you recover for next.

Me: 14,000 miles last year. Training for a 13-15 hr event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

commonguy001
01-11-2016, 07:49 AM
I'd say if what you do now works at mile 100 or 125 after 6-8 hours then you're going to be fine. Late ride nutrition is tough and very individual.

I do a number of >100 mile rides each year with many of them on dirt and my biggest limiter is eating things early that keep me going and don't make me sick later in the ride. If I only use clif shots or GUs and bars I'm so nauseated from processed food by the end of the ride that I stop eating.
If I grab a banana and some Gatorade at stops and eat a PBJ sandwich or something else I'd packed I've usually a lot better off.

I know some people do great with a big meal but that wouldn't be me. I'd be ready for a nap after hammering down a bowl of pasta or greasy burger.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 07:56 AM
For 200 and 300k events, it shouldn't be a big deal! Eat a big breakfast and your favorite bike food and enjoy the day. I bring a p b and j on toast with me, that and a banana, but whatever works for your metric days. There is no rules on where you can stop to eat. As long as you make your controls. Pick a place that you can get a salad or something you think is healthy.

Just sit back and enjoy. IMO you are way over thinking this.

What I have been doing lately is having a breakfast of 3 instant waffles, the kind you pop in the toaster. What I need to do is mix up the batter and make me some real pancakes. I know when I did the ultra endurance rides like the Bridge to Bridge up Grandfather Mountain in NC, the pancakes would last me just about to lunch.

I wish I could do salads, but I explained that in another post why that's not a good idea for me.

Gatorade and Exede used to really make me sick. By the end of the ride, I was all gassed up in the negative sense of that.

guido
01-11-2016, 07:59 AM
I have had issues finding the right fueling approach for long rides. The classic rando strategy of grazing on junk food from convenience stores just didn't work for me at all. I used to use Hammer products when I did long distance kayak racing but had GI issues with that too...

Toward the end of last year a triathlete friend who does ironman length events suggested Infinite Nutrition products because they really understand long events and they allow you to tailor their formulas to fit your needs. They even have a wizard tool to make it easy to match the fuel to your goals/workouts. Their drink mixes have allowed me to have consistent even energy, no bonking, GI issues, messing with bars/gels or convenience stores (other than for gallon jugs of water to re-mix my camelback...).

Good luck!

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Remember many randonneurs on 200 and 300K rides are training for much longer events. If one is not at the pointy end of the ride, they are going to need real meals to get through longer events. The middle and back of the event is a whole different thing than the folks going fast. I'm not fast. On long brevets I need protein and fats to take in enough calories. They burn slowly without spiking. One of the hardest things for some people to do for longer rides is to sort out how to put in enough calories. It's like an eating competition. If I'm not having fun, I'm probably running out of calories.

One thing is for sure, there are as many different things that work on 1200's as there are people.

Try some real food and don't try to hammer right after you eat it. Many people are better off at the end of a 200 or 300 if they can get enough calories. Other people have iced tea and a half a payday bar. I'm not one of them.

I've seen a lot of extremely heavy people, and they do randonneuring. It must be all the calories they are putting down. Years ago, I used to ride every now and then with a rather heavy guy, who rode a touring bike with rear panniers. He could maintain 21 mph all day long. He told me that he could go for 75 miles before he stopped. He would munch on the bike. Now, if you took a pull on the front and pushed up the pace to 24, he wouldn't stay with you. He maintained his 21-22 mph pace, and that was it. He was consistent. If you wanted to draft off him all day, he didn't care and enjoyed the company, but that is how he rode, and he never had trouble running out of energy.

AngryScientist
01-11-2016, 08:03 AM
The classic rando strategy of grazing on junk food from convenience stores just didn't work for me at all. I used to use Hammer products when I...

snickers bars and coca-cola have gotten me out of a whole bunch of tough spots. :)

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:05 AM
I know people that drink 5 hour and Red Bull and other high-caffeine drinks. They aren't going to power your muscles, unless they have more calories than I think they do. There was a randonneur that died on a 1200k after drinking a Red Bull, but I suspect that's mostly coincidence.

Well, that's enough for me. I know my wife doesn't want me taking the stuff so I will steer clear of it.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:08 AM
snickers bars and coca-cola have gotten me out of a whole bunch of tough spots. :)

True that. The only place Snickers Bars won't work are the times you're doing winter backpacking in subzero weather, nor do power bars work well, either.:rolleyes:

weisan
01-11-2016, 08:08 AM
My fueling station of choice.

YMMV...I know.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/New_McDonald's_restaurant_in_Mount_Pleasant,_Iowa. jpg

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:10 AM
My backpacking group used to always hit MickeyD's afterwards, and as hungry as I was for real food, I'd always get indigestion. It never happened though, if we went to Wendy's or Hardy's.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:13 AM
I have had issues finding the right fueling approach for long rides. The classic rando strategy of grazing on junk food from convenience stores just didn't work for me at all. I used to use Hammer products when I did long distance kayak racing but had GI issues with that too...

Toward the end of last year a triathlete friend who does ironman length events suggested Infinite Nutrition products because they really understand long events and they allow you to tailor their formulas to fit your needs. They even have a wizard tool to make it easy to match the fuel to your goals/workouts. Their drink mixes have allowed me to have consistent even energy, no bonking, GI issues, messing with bars/gels or convenience stores (other than for gallon jugs to re-mix my camelback...).

Good luck!

Sounds like a plan because I have heard from more than one rider that you need liquid nutrition to fuel your ride.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:17 AM

I have learned a lot from the comments here. I learned yesterday that there is such a thing as Mexican Coke, which has real cane sugar in it, vs. fructose. I found out about Perpetuem, which at first sounded like a cure for diarrhea; and I just figured folks were playing with me, but it is an energy drink, rather pricey, but it will do the trick.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:23 AM
I'd say if what you do now works at mile 100 or 125 after 6-8 hours then you're going to be fine. Late ride nutrition is tough and very individual.

I do a number of >100 mile rides each year with many of them on dirt and my biggest limiter is eating things early that keep me going and don't make me sick later in the ride. If I only use clif shots or GUs and bars I'm so nauseated from processed food by the end of the ride that I stop eating.
If I grab a banana and some Gatorade at stops and eat a PBJ sandwich or something else I'd packed I've usually a lot better off.

I know some people do great with a big meal but that wouldn't be me. I'd be ready for a nap after hammering down a bowl of pasta or greasy burger.

Back in 1990, I did my first 150 miles, not randonneuring, it was just a trip I planned to ride to Williamston, NC. I was on top of the Pee Dee Bridge getting passed by logging trucks that were passing way too close. I then began to think that what I was doing on that bridge could get me killed. When the way was clear, I headed back. I know that the first 125 miles went fast, and I had no problem, but the last 25 miles were the clincher. I bonked so bad, that I only rode 9 mph back home. It was doable for me, but I was literally out of gas. I had power bars, but I was too sick to eat them.

Now, 26 years later, I'm attempting the impossible.

Jgrooms
01-11-2016, 08:34 AM
I have learned a lot from the comments here. I learned yesterday that there is such a thing as Mexican Coke, which has real cane sugar in it, vs. fructose. I found out about Perpetuem, which at first sounded like a cure for diarrhea; and I just figured folks were playing with me, but it is an energy drink, rather pricey, but it will do the trick.

I'm telling ya, the mango prerp, honey, banana, mago juice smoothie is good. I have to remember to make it last.

miguel
01-11-2016, 09:59 AM
I ate lots of croissants and Camembert sandwiches on pbp

FlashUNC
01-11-2016, 10:06 AM
A bunch of drink mix and Clif bars sounds like a recipe for stomach problems.

I'm a big fan of prepared stuff on longer rides, like what is in the Scratch Labs Feedzone cookbook.

miguel
01-11-2016, 10:21 AM
A bunch of drink mix and Clif bars sounds like a recipe for stomach problems.

For 200-300k? Meh. Stop for a lunch once wherever of you're going longer than 9 hours.

denapista
01-11-2016, 10:41 AM
I try to eat a light to semi decent portion meal and while on the road top that off with bonk breakers and water. The key to any long ride is the prep prior to the ride.

I was never a fan of gels, and all of the honey stinger things. They never seemed to work for me. I tried the new bonk breakers and found my new vice. These things are heavy (Density wise) and fill you up and burn right into energy. I did a ride in the SM Mountains and kind of was hot dogging the first half of the ride (PCH, Latigo, PCH, etc). I got to Old Topanga and was just about to blow up out of my mind. I tried to hide my bonk. A friend gave me her Bonk Breaker and I came back to life. I pulled the ride with a huge turn down PCH.

Just bring (2) with you!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81XpcFquD%2BL._SX522_.jpg

john903
01-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Pretty much echoing everyone here. When I ride 200k and 300k rides I drink Hammer Perpetum made up as a 6 hour bottle and stop once for real food. My favorite real food is either take a PB&J that I take with me and stop (10-15 min rest) and eat half then I eat the other half on the bike an hour later. Or I stop at Subway and order a 6" tuna on wheat and eat half and save the other half for down the road. I don't like long stops or to eat big meals because I cool down too much or feel sluggish after eating to much.

Have a great ride and have fun its not a race which is nice too. If you want to stop what the heck go ahead and stop and look around and take pictures the time limit is quite generous on these rides.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 02:26 PM
I don't know if I'll do a 300k, just getting to the miles where I can complete the 200k is the goal right now. The first time I managed to slog through the 150 mile ride, I vowed never again, and I've been true to my word, just doing centuries and the such. Now, I met a few randonneurs, who have inspired/sucked me into trying for more.:D

Thank you all for the different foods. I'm going to have to do some research on them. I have discovered that there is more out there than Gatorade, Exede, and Cytomax. PBJ is what I had in mind because the last time I did the 100k at the controls, they were giving out PB crackers, and I seemed to do well with that peanut butter. Of course, a metric is not that bad, but we were riding a steady 18 to 20 mph up and down hills, which can get to you after awhile.

marciero
01-11-2016, 05:40 PM
My favorite real food is either take a PB&J that I take with me and stop (10-15 min rest) and eat half then I eat the other half on the bike an hour later.

NOT what I would call real food! Wonder bread??? On the other hand, on the rare occasions I eat that stuff- organized rides at fuel stop-it is just SO unbelievably good. Seems to fuel okay too.

YesNdeed
01-11-2016, 05:54 PM
For the Atomic Smasher 200 (totaled 221 miles for me, 14k ft. climbing in August, in the desert), a salt bagel with lot's of cream cheese was my saving grace upon entering Los Alamos. The gels, 1/2 a Clif bar and water wasn't holding up so well for an already tough climb (WITHOUT 120 miles already in the legs) into town, but after that, I was back in good form. Plan one a stop for some real food at some point (or ziplock a bagel). You won't regret it. Did I mention salt?

Tandem Rider
01-11-2016, 06:02 PM
I have found that for myself I need to eat real food on a 6+ hour ride or event. I just watch the glycemic index and don't eat anything that will upset my stomach. For example, on the last 100 mile gravel race I took a turkey sandwich cut into fourths, wrapped separately in waxed paper so I could manage it while bouncing along on gravel, a Clif bar for later in the race and a couple of gels for toward the end. Ate the sandwich in the first 60 or so, then the bar, ate 1 gel. Perpetuem in 1 bottle, water in the other.

On a lower intensity event I do pretty much the same thing except the menu can be a lot more varied and skip the drink mix, just water. For example, I might stop at a deli for 10 or 15 and get a cup of soup or a warm sandwich, maybe a slice of pizza, whatever looks good. Mrs TR and I have stopped on a tour and had a regular meal for lunch, it just takes a while to get the motor running again.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 06:18 PM
I have found that for myself I need to eat real food on a 6+ hour ride or event. I just watch the glycemic index and don't eat anything that will upset my stomach. For example, on the last 100 mile gravel race I took a turkey sandwich cut into fourths, wrapped separately in waxed paper so I could manage it while bouncing along on gravel, a Clif bar for later in the race and a couple of gels for toward the end. Ate the sandwich in the first 60 or so, then the bar, ate 1 gel. Perpetuem in 1 bottle, water in the other.

On a lower intensity event I do pretty much the same thing except the menu can be a lot more varied and skip the drink mix, just water. For example, I might stop at a deli for 10 or 15 and get a cup of soup or a warm sandwich, maybe a slice of pizza, whatever looks good. Mrs TR and I have stopped on a tour and had a regular meal for lunch, it just takes a while to get the motor running again.

When I used to do the Assault on Mt. Mitchell, I would open up at least 6 powerbars because they are hard enough to open with two hands, especially sweaty hands when you're not moving. I tried eating on the bike but found it difficult to eat and breathe at the same time, since we were all making a hefty effort to get up the steep hills. There is very little flat in that ride so you have to eat when you can.

AngryScientist
01-11-2016, 07:21 PM
...because they are hard enough to open with two hands...

i rarely every leave home without a small knife in my jersey pocket. usually a leatherman micra. i remember vividly a few years back when stupidly i was riding in the early winter and got caught in a nasty thunder storm, so i got soaked to the bone, and the temperature was hovering around the freezing point. it was a long ride and my body was revolting against the miserable cold. a gas station appeared and i bought my usual savior - the snickers bar.

well, my fingers were so numb and useless from being soaking wet and COLD, that i simply could not open the candy bar i so desperately wanted to devour. a helpful woman walking into the store graciously helped me. from then on i carry an easy to open sharp object that seems to come in handy constantly.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7209/6871500517_284cf519b7_b.jpg

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 07:31 PM
i rarely every leave home without a small knife in my jersey pocket. usually a leatherman micra. i remember vividly a few years back when stupidly i was riding in the early winter and got caught in a nasty thunder storm, so i got soaked to the bone, and the temperature was hovering around the freezing point. it was a long ride and my body was revolting against the miserable cold. a gas station appeared and i bought my usual savior - the snickers bar.

well, my fingers were so numb and useless from being soaking wet and COLD, that i simply could not open the candy bar i so desperately wanted to devour. a helpful woman walking into the store graciously helped me. from then on i carry an easy to open sharp object that seems to come in handy constantly.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7209/6871500517_284cf519b7_b.jpg

You had me worried at first. I didn't see that period behind devour and since you never capitalized the next sentence, I thought you were so desperate you were contemplating devouring a helpful woman. :D Phew! I need to get my eyes checked.

Seriously though, I have been in that same boat. I went out on a warm sunny morning 60 degrees or so and had the thermometer drop to 40 degrees in a driving rain. Fortunately, I was wearing a long sleeved wool jersey, but had shorts on and no rain jacket. I was hypothermic and desperately sought help at a farm house. The people took me in, wrapped me in a blanket and gave me hot coffee until my wife could pick me up. The weather man never predicted that weather change. Now, I never go out without a rain jacket. Powerbars? I can open them with my teeth. Also, my reversible screwdriver can open up a power bar.

unterhausen
01-11-2016, 07:53 PM
I rode the Taste of Carolina 1200k a couple of years ago. I made it through the first 2 days with the vast majority of my calories coming from chocolate milk and Reese's cups. 3rd day, I was wandering around a convenience store looking for frozen burritos or something. Then I realized that all the fat people in the store were standing there at the counter of the grill in the back. Both sides of the counter. I got a 6" grilled cheesesteak and fries. Couldn't eat all of it, but the 100 miles after that went really smoothly.

In general, I find pizza or anything with marinara sauce to be a really bad idea while riding. I've heard this is true for most people.

One of my 200k routes has a stop at a bar at 100 miles. One of my better route designs.

miguel
01-11-2016, 08:13 PM
I rode a 400 a few years ago and at 300 we stopped for pizza. While waiting for the pizza I sang a clash song on the karaoke stage. Pizza is a pret good fuel

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Yeah, pizza is the food of the gods. Then there's also Chinese takeout. Check out what somebody posted on another thread, here.

I wonder if I could stick that pizza box in my back jersey? Scroll up to post 31.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1893766&posted=1#post1893766

bianchi10
01-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Yeah, that's about what I do, but I was on another forum where they were talking about never getting off the bike unless you had to make a bathroom break. These folks carry handlebar bags and eat while riding the bike. I'm not interested in completing a speed record, just finishing it within the time limit. Everybody I know, who does these things, stops and eats. That's the way everybody I know did when they completed these statewide endurance rides, like Blood, Sweat, and Gears in Alabama and the Assault on Mt. Mitchell, SC/NC endurance ride. Looks like I need to go back to the sports drinks again vs. just water.

I dont know if Ive ever stopped to eat and I dont carry bar bags. Its not difficult to reach in your back pocket while spinning, tear a cliff bar open with your teeth and chew while riding with 1 or no hands for a minute.

earlfoss
01-11-2016, 08:32 PM
I just use regular old sucrose these days. It works like a charm!

Adjust number of tablespoons depending on length and intensity of ride.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:34 PM
I dont know if Ive ever stopped to eat and I dont carry bar bags. Its not difficult to reach in your back pocket while spinning, tear a cliff bar open with your teeth and chew while riding with 1 or no hands for a minute.

Cliff bars are easy to open. I used to pre-open power bars and eat while on the bike, but there are just times where I need to get off the bike and stretch, and that doesn't include standing up while coasting down hill, which you can do if you're by yourself. My butt gets sore and my whole body gets stiff where I just have to stop and stretch. If you can stay on the bike all day like that, I envy you, but I just have to stop for a few minutes. I don't like long stops, though.

PFSLABD
01-11-2016, 08:36 PM
I just use regular old sucrose these days. It works like a charm!

Adjust number of tablespoons depending on length and intensity of ride.

I have a high rate of metabolism, which doesn't help on these endurance rides, so it looks like I'm going to have to nibble about every hour if I'm going to stay alive on this ride.

JLP
01-12-2016, 12:11 AM
I know a guy who rode an early tough 1200 on nothing but supplements. He carried cycling food and supplemented that along the way with burgers, fries, pizza, hoagies...

Tandem Rider
01-12-2016, 05:11 AM
It's simply astounding that anyone was ever able to ride longer than an hour before 1986 and the invention of Powerbars.

marciero
01-12-2016, 07:10 AM

I hear ya, but also easy to eat lasagna from an open tupperware container in bar bag, or holding in one hand, with fork while riding. Sort of fun, too.

Jgrooms
01-12-2016, 01:27 PM
It's simply astounding that anyone was ever able to ride longer than an hour before 1986 and the invention of Powerbars.

Or get anywhere w only 7 speeds, friction shift, 36 spoke hubs & steel frames.

Time, tech & knowledge move on.

OMG, rice & oats!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/12/fef9d0beb4855c939568ad9f521613a3.jpg

PFSLABD
02-03-2016, 07:39 PM

It could be difficult if you're riding an early spring 200K with full fingered gloves. I'm just going to treat the 200K like a regular century, but with 28 more miles to go. I looked at the cue sheet, and it's not 124 miles, but with 4 miles tacked onto it. That comes as a surprise since the ride is merely an out and back.