PDA

View Full Version : Choosing roof rack

Veloo
01-10-2016, 08:01 AM
I'm on the prowl for a used roof rack for my 2013 Subaru Impreza. Not just to haul the bikes around but also for oversized stuff that won't fit into the car like drywall, wood, etc.

A local classifieds has a new-ish Thule AeroBlade ARB47 and Rapid Podium 460R for about $245 off retail. Looks appealing.

Any recommendations against using the aero-style racks for hauling construction material around?

malcolm
01-10-2016, 08:06 AM
I've hauled some stuff on top with aero cross bars, christmas trees, 2X4s etc. It works ok. The only real negative is the rubber strip that runs down the middle of them, at least on mine will pull out when you slide things across them. It goes back easy enough.

Mikej
01-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Rei has a 20% off racks quite often. I have seen guys with drywall on an outback roof, I'd pay the delivery or find a pick up truck friend. The aero bars also require additional mounting brackets for most attachments.

jimcav
01-10-2016, 09:48 AM
then got a 3rd vacuum cup from forum member here that sells them retail (proedgebiker.com)
really impressed--works great and lets me put my bike on upside down (straps to bars on both sides and then saddle). not sure if it would make sense to get 4 (either 2 hornets or 4 individual 6 inch cups and then run whatever bars you want through it (pipe etc) for those times yo want to haul something non-bike), but
I only have old cars ('64 studebaker and 79 trans am) so it was best option but i love the easy on and easy off use and have put it on both cars in under 30 seconds
I think only downside is the lock (which i didn't get) is just a cable that runs into your car under window glass. So not sure it is ideal if you have to leave your bike on the car all day...

Black Dog
01-10-2016, 10:22 AM
If you are hauling materials then go for the square bars unless the aero bars are at least 54 inches or you will have a hard time securing sheet goods. As for dimensional lumber it is really handy to have these:
http://cdn3.static-tgdp.com/ui/productimages/approved/std.lang.all/97/16/439716_sized_750x800.jpg

Veloo
01-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Thanks all for the input.
Daryl, you have a good point. Local ad is for a rack with 47" crossbars and drywall is 48" wide so probably not ideal for my use.

stien
01-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Just don't get the Subaru aero cross bars, they are tin can thin and just crush.

AngryScientist
01-11-2016, 12:07 PM
if you're carrying big loads, it's helpful for the cross bars to have a decent amount of overhang past the supports. convenient for hooking straps to, etc.

veloduffer
01-11-2016, 01:44 PM
I have the Thule aeroblades, which come in two flavors - regular and heavy duty.

Note, always be careful how much weight you put on the roof. Sheet rock is heavy and I remember one person had like 6-8 sheet rock on the roof of his car. I think he drove about 100 feet before all four tires blew out from the weight. You also have to account for the weight of the driver and passengers. Most roofs (and racks) have a weight limit.

Also, some big and heavy items may fit into the weight limits but because they are not aero, the drag and weight can cause a huge strain on the drivetrain, especially if you have a lot of elevation in your area.

William
01-11-2016, 03:31 PM
if you're carrying big loads, it's helpful for the cross bars to have a decent amount of overhang past the supports. convenient for hooking straps to, etc.

I went wide.

Yakima Control Towers, 66" wide bars so that I could mount Vipers outboard and load paddle boards in the middle. Bike mount come off and I've loaded sheets of plywood up there with no issues.

William

pdmtong
01-11-2016, 04:18 PM
the problem with wider bars for the hauling Sheetrock and plywood is now they stick way out, and become a hazard for folks walking past or towards the vehicle, sometimes exiting the vehicle. just going +1 can be a hazard for a lower car (58 instead of 48)

dont be fooled, that just because you have racks, you can now carry lots of wood. you could see my rack wobbling when I had some big lumbar up there on my toyota pickup. not safe for freeways for sure.

I think you are better off setting it for sports gear, and just paying home depot or the yard to deliver the handful of times you need large/heavy building materials.

benb
01-11-2016, 04:24 PM
For lots of things I wouldn't want the aerobars if they are anything like the stock "aero" bars on my 2013 outback.

They are noticeably flexy due to the narrow vertical cross section.. they're way way stiffer front to back than up and down... if I have my bike up there and I reach up and wiggle the bike to check it's secure you can easily see the bars flexing.

I carry my bike a ton and the bike is rock solid up there but I wouldn't want to use the rack for anything actually heavy.

p nut
01-11-2016, 04:36 PM
If I were in your shoes, I'd get a rack that mimics a truck bed. For example:

http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/roof-trays

Some of these trays/baskets would be so much more useful hauling around nasty crap.

Also, I wouldn't trust the stock rails, if that's what you're planning to use. I'm not sure who makes stout aftermarket stuff for Subaru's, but Frontrunner, Eeziawn, Rhino, and few others I can't think of, used to make some good stuff back when I was into Land cruisers.

Another idea is getting a small utility trailer from Harbor Freight for $200-300. They'd be light enough for the Impreza.

http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb-capacity-40-inch-x-49-inch-heavy-duty-utility-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html

William
01-11-2016, 05:00 PM
the problem with wider bars for the hauling Sheetrock and plywood is now they stick way out, and become a hazard for folks walking past or towards the vehicle, sometimes exiting the vehicle. just going +1 can be a hazard for a lower car (58 instead of 48)

My mirrors still stick out wider than the bars, someone would have to be very close to my vehicle to catch one. Even at my height I've never accidentally caught one. For my it made sense so I wouldn't have remove the bike mounts every time I wanted to go paddle boarding or vice versa. Being able to occasionally carry some lumber or other things is a plus, but certainly not why I went the route I did.

Rmmv.

William

pdmtong
01-11-2016, 05:17 PM
My mirrors still stick out wider than the bars, someone would have to be very close to my vehicle to catch one. Even at my height I've never accidentally caught one. For my it made sense so I wouldn't have remove the bike mounts every time I wanted to go paddle boarding or vice versa. Being able to occasionally carry some lumber or other things is a plus, but certainly not why I went the route I did. Rmmv. William

I get your rationale. in full gorge mode my roof had windsurf on one half, bike/box on the other half. you want to be able to carry bikes or boards and not rearrange the placement.

but I also have had wider bars on a smaller car. plenty of folks hit their head on the end sticking out. enough such that it was worth noting.

William
01-11-2016, 06:15 PM
I get your rationale. in full gorge mode my roof had windsurf on one half, bike/box on the other half. you want to be able to carry bikes or boards and not rearrange the placement.

but I also have had wider bars on a smaller car. plenty of folks hit their head on the end sticking out. enough such that it was worth noting.

Understood, no real need to knock people unconscious unnecessarily. :)

William

pdmtong
01-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Understood, no real need to knock people unconscious unnecessarily. :) William

coming from you, that cracks me up. I get it. touche' my man.